Data Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (6th Gen ASB Version)

Hey folks,

So my question is:

I have a protowatt and its AC is maxed. If I get Shed Skin (Its Hidden Ability) unlocked now and later evolve it to Krilowatt, will Shell Armor (Krilowatt's Hidden Ability) be unlocked or does the AC start from 0/5 again or Krilowatt will have the Hidden ability of Protowatt (Most unlikely, but not sure about it)?

Thanks in Advance.

The Krilowat in question would still have 5/5 AC. It would have Shell Armor. AFAIK, you wouldn't need to state you're unlocking it in Prize Claim, but I could be wrong on this last point...

You do need to state that you are unlocking the hidden ability. That is because there are some cases (like Durant) where you would not want your hidden ability unlocked.

What he means is that he has to state AGAIN that you are unlocking its HA upon evolution. And, AFAIK, you don't, but I could be wrong: approvers are the ones to ask in this last point.

If you've already unlocked the Hidden Ability you do not need to unlock it again. I'm now curious as to whether or not you're actually allowed to refuse to unlock a Hidden Ability. Going to look into that some more.

EDIT: Huh, apparently you can. The more you know!

Yes, you can both refuse to unlock the hidden ability or to evolve. The best example of why would you do such a thing is Durant not wanting to be forced to have Truant.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for answering...
So I can have shed skin unlocked till its a protowatt.
Then evolve it into a Krilowatt and choose not to unlock its HA (Though i would, js to get a better understanding)
In this case Krilowatt will have Trace and Magic Guard but will no longer have shed skin right? ( i know its obv as per all of your answers, but just confirming it )

No, when it evolves Krilowatt's Hidden Ability would automatically be unlocked since you unlocked it as a Protowatt. You can't re-lock it as far as I'm aware (not that you'd want to, admittedly). Kril would end up with Trace, Magic Guard, AND Shell Armor (which replaces Shed Skin as its Hidden Ability) as abilities.

If a Pokemon fails to move on the action it was supposed to do a combo, and the user didn't specify anything other than JUST the cooldown on the action after, do they not move or will it Struggle?

At least now I understand why people will put "~ Cooldown (*Move*) ~" after a combo has been ordered instead of just "Cooldown."

Thank you!

Now just for my future reference, what is this energy cost you have to calculate when Protean is toggled? The only thing the data sheet says is "The energy cost for the attack is calculated based on their type before using the move."

What does it mean by this, exactly? Does it cost more/less energy to go from Type A to Type B than Type A to Type C, for instance?

It does not cost energy to change types with Protean. You simply do not get the STAB energy cost reduction if you changed types that action.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I don't often hop in here to ask stuff, but it's raid relevant and I have a headache.

Copycat: How does it find STAB EN Reduction? Is it based on the move called (My assumption), the user's STAB of the Copycat'd move, or the Normal Typing of Copycat?

I don't know about moves that call other moves, but I just give it the energy reduction if it gets STAB on either, but still only -1 Energy if it gets STAB on both. No one has complained about it yet.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't often hop in here to ask stuff, but it's raid relevant and I have a headache.

Copycat: How does it find STAB EN Reduction? Is it based on the move called (My assumption), the user's STAB of the Copycat'd move, or the Normal Typing of Copycat?
The same way it does with Sleep Talk, i.e. if the mon gets STAB on move caller but not on the called move, then it gets STAB for the move caller. If it gets it got the called move but not the move caller, then it gets it for the called move. If it gets it on both the called move and the move caller, then it is -2 EN for that whole move. IIRC anyway (well that is how I referee it).

But yeah, it deals with EN Costs the same way it does with Sleep Talk, Metronome, Assist, etc.

How do damaging evasive moves work when called by another move? For example, a Riolu used Dig a1 of a round, and then Copycat a2, with no moves in between; or a Snorlax used Metronome and it called Fly.

Also, what type would Dual Chop + Ice Punch combo be? Would it be Ice-type, or typeless.

Last edited:
Dig has a priority of 0. If Riolu has prankster unlocked, copycat calls dig at priority 1 and then hits at priority -2. If Snorlax used Metronome and it called Fly, Metronome occurs at Priority 0. Fly has a priority of 0 for the evasion and -2 for the hit. I am not sure where your confusion comes from.

Dual Chop + Ice Punch's type depends on more information than you are willing to offer. Therefore, open up the ASB handbook and read the section on different typed combinations.

I was wondering if it would immediately call the attacking part, like it does with charging moves, or if it would call the evasive part and then the attacking part later.

I was more asking about whether a multi-hit move has its BAP per hit or total BAP considered for the combination's type.

Just to satiate my own curiosity, how is flavor categorized as, well...flavor? Are there certain unspoken criteria, so to speak, to make it what it is?

Roleplaying? Narrating? Narrating as if actually in-game? All of these and/or more?

By the way, I'm referring to this from the referee's side. I'm aware that "flavor" as the battler is done in a dialogue-exchange-roleplaying-like manner.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
Most referees narrate but some roleplay; I think you know what narrating is and if you want to see an example of roleplay refereeing you can look at the gym match between Engineer Pikachu and Mulan15262.

After using Roar or the like successfully I must order first. Can I initiate a switch phase the round after using Roar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)