Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Just wondering what is bound to rise once theorectically Mega and Zoro are banned? are there going to be things from NU moving to RU?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering what is bound to rise once theorectically Mega and Zoro are banned? are there going to be things from NU moving to RU?
If by rise, you mean which Pokemon will get more popular, I think Psychic-types will be ones to watch out for. (Slowking, Meloetta, and Cresselia are examples)

[quote. Aerow, post: 5644794, member: 218410"]rofl, August 15th of course. Fixed.[/quote]
august 15th :x
That's a pity: I understood August 15th included, so I wait today for last matches. That's a pity because I have played more and more..No problem, see you next suspect...

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I said in my post where I edited to 15th August (I originally said 15th July, and Molk corrected me): "You need to get reqs before 15th August. More information here.", but of course sad that you misunderstood :(

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So since everyone is predicting psychic types to get repopular in particular cress, I for see Escavalier becoming more common because it hard walls cress and can either hurt with knock off/megahorn or it can run a nifty pursuit trapping set. Something to watch out for, cause as of recently havent really seen it to much.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So since everyone is predicting psychic types to get repopular in particular cress, I for see Escavalier becoming more common because it hard walls cress and can either hurt with knock off/megahorn or it can run a nifty pursuit trapping set. Something to watch out for, cause as of recently havent really seen it to much.
Dude I think you posted in the incorrect thread XD

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dude I think you posted in the incorrect thread XD
I didnt really find it to be relevant to the zoro yanmega thread, and I remembered people talking about psychic types rising in usage in this thread. Since Escavalier is a clear check/counter and I felt like bringing it up somewhere where psychic types were being discussed (EonX mentions them rising right above, and also its answering Timeneon's question), I think this thread should do just fine.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Hi, just wondering how successful are heavy offense teams in RU compared to other types of teams such as stall, balance, or bulky offense?

Frail, hyper offense is my favorite playstyle, and I tried running a team in UU but it didn't work out to well since there are a lot of bulky Pokemon in the tier. Do you think I'd have more luck here?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, just wondering how successful are heavy offense teams in RU compared to other types of teams such as stall, balance, or bulky offense?

Frail, hyper offense is my favorite playstyle, and I tried running a team in UU but it didn't work out to well since there are a lot of bulky Pokemon in the tier. Do you think I'd have more luck here?
As proven by user: New Breed, hyper offense is quite the viable playstyle in RU currently. While the recent bans of Zoroark and Yanmega will probably make Balance / Bulky Offense the way to go, Hyper Offense should still be perfectly viable. Here's NB's RMT, Hand Grenade to help give you some ideas. Just note Yanmega is banned, so you'll have to replace it if you want to start out with this team.

Is having 2 pokemon with assault vest on the same team bad? I almost always run assault vest slowking, and I decided to pair it up with AV escavalier on this team.
Here is the team I have: http://pastebin.com/PHfHWDSn
No, not really. As long as they're Pokemon that can actually use the item well, such as those two, Druddigon, and to a lesser extent Meloetta and Gallade, there's nothing wrong with running two on one team (unless you're doing it just for the sake of it, which usually isn't the best idea with anything in teambuilding anyway).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No, not really. As long as they're Pokemon that can actually use the item well, such as those two, Druddigon, and to a lesser extent Meloetta and Gallade, there's nothing wrong with running two on one team (unless you're doing it just for the sake of it, which usually isn't the best idea with anything in teambuilding anyway).
Alright, thanks for the input. No, I understand not to just slap on AV to things, esca and slowking are very good users of the item. Relates pretty well to your signature :P

ZWEILOUS IN RU?
With the rise of Psychic Types like Cresselia, Slowking and Doublade, with Pokemon like Reuniculus and Druddigon , I wonder if this fella might have a specific niche in RU? Compared to the Steel Knight Minisharp(no idea how its called), it has some bulk:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 142-168 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 422-498 (145 - 171.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 115-136 (33 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 152-180 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 196-232 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
and for shits:

252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 272-324 (78.1 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 260-306 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It has water/grass/fire resists alongside dark/psychic/ghost resists.

My moveset would be:

Zwei is better than Eins:
Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe //// 252HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Substitute

72 is to be faster than max speed Doublade(that shit exists). Basically a hard hitting dark type dealing with some Pokemon in RU due to bulk. A Trick Room abuser too I would say.

I post it here for one and only one reason:

Has that thing potential or is it as bad as Charizard in Gen 4 Ubers and I would contribute a terrible pokemon in RU if I posted that in more "relevant" threads.​

ZWEILOUS IN RU?
With the rise of Psychic Types like Cresselia, Slowking and Doublade, with Pokemon like Reuniculus and Druddigon , I wonder if this fella might have a specific niche in RU? Compared to the Steel Knight Minisharp(no idea how its called), it has some bulk:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 142-168 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 422-498 (145 - 171.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 115-136 (33 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 176 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 152-180 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 196-232 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Crunch vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Cresselia: 222-264 (50 - 59.4%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
and for shits:

252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Zweilous: 272-324 (78.1 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Zweilous Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 260-306 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

My moveset would be:

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Substitute

72 is to be faster than max speed Doublade(that shit exists). Basically a hard hitting dark type dealing with some Pokemon in RU due to bulk. A Trick Room abuser too I would say.

Has that thing potential or is it as bad as Charizard in Gen 4 Ubers and I would contribute a terrible pokemon in RU if I posted that in more "relevant" threads.​
First thing first, Doublade isn't a psychic type.
Next, Zweilous is slow as hell, faster threats such as Clawitzer, and Exploud (And they are slow as hell too!) would easily wreck this thing. Sadly to mention, when you miss an attack due to Hustle pretty sure you won't be happy. Also that set you mentioned is completely walled by Togetic which is a decent defogger in RU and gets usage. Instead of using Zweilous, Durant may be more appropriate as it gets the same ability, it hits harder than Zweilous and is way faster. Durant has more of a chance putting in giant dents into a team than Zweilous. Did I mention it has a faster Hone Claws if you plan on using that on Zweilous?

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Crunch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 211-250 (67.6 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 471-556 (129.3 - 152.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ZWEILOUS IN RU?

and for shits:

My moveset would be:

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Substitute

Gonna be honest here and say that i can actually see Zweilous doing some work if used right. It happens to check quite a few common RU Pokemon actually, including Delphox, Doublade, Meloetta (watch out for Choice Specs Hyper Voice), Sharpedo, Slowking, Reuniclus, Jolteon, Amoonguss, and more (i wouldn't really call it a Cress check since it has a 4x weakness to Moonblast =/), so i can definitely see it having a niche. Furthermore, the fact that Zweilous forces so many switches against common Pokemon like this is makes it pretty easy to set up a Substitute, and because Zweilous basically has the equivalent of base 152 Attack thanks to Hustle (just as an aside, Zweilous's stat spread with the given evs is essentially 72/152/115/65/115/58 with Hustle and Eviolite taken into account, but this changes depending on how Zweilous is eved), a Zweilous behind a Substitute can be quite a scary thing as long as there's no Aromatisse running around on the opponent's side. Of course the main flaw here that holds Zweilous back is Hustle's drawback, which makes it a bit inconsistent, but at the very least Substitute provides a cushion that ensures that Zwei isn't completely screwed if it misses an important attack. It might not look like the best thing to some of you, but i honestly wouldn't write this thing off as a bad Pokemon just yet, i think it's worth testing personally.

Also, Zweilous and Durant aren't even remotely comparable outside of both of them having the ability Hustle, if anything, Zweilous is more comparable to Spiritomb, Drapion, and Druddigon in the role that it'd play in theory.

I've been building a Stall team for the Dark Horse project. The Pokemon I chose is Sliggoo. So far I have:

Alomomola (Standard build)
Registeel (Curse)
Sliggoo (Specially Defensive)
Gligar (Standard build)
Aromatisse (Physically Defensive)

Does anyone have any suggestions for the 6th member of the team?

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been building a Stall team for the Dark Horse project. The Pokemon I chose is Sliggoo. So far I have:

Alomomola (Standard build)
Registeel (Curse)
Sliggoo (Specially Defensive)
Gligar (Standard build)
Aromatisse (Physically Defensive)

Does anyone have any suggestions for the 6th member of the team?
You need something go calm mind psychics, as well as SR. Maybe change Registeel to SR and add perish song SpD Meloetta?

EonX

Battle Soul
ZWEILOUS IN RU?

and for shits:

My moveset would be:

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Substitute

Agreeing with Molk that Zweilous can actually do some decent work due to that unique typing. Another thing to note that Molk forgot to mention is that Steel no longer resists Dark, meaning that it will be fairly difficult to find a switch-in for Zweilous's STAB combination outside of Aromatisse (who bones Zweilous anyway) That said, Ice Fang looks like an interesting move considering Gligar is the most physically bulky Pokemon in RU. There's also Aqua Tail for Rhyperior, Zen Headbutt for Poison- and Fighting-types, and maybe even Fire Fang for Escavalier and Durant. I'd say it has a decent shot at becoming at least somewhat relevant in RU.

So I've been running into a ton of Slowking, Tangrowth, and Moltres, as I'm new to RU it has been causing issues, only one loss so far but still far to close. Any tips to get around/destroy those three if they are on the same team?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)