General Fighting Game Discussion

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Capcom liked her enough that they turned Jill Valentine into her. Hehe, brevity. Runic, please stop talking out of your ass. Cammy is a wonderful character. She ranked 5th on Capcom's official popularity poll, and 3rd in Japan.

Decrapre, a decade old SF character, is an interesting surprise. Wonder why they chose her over any other doll. There's still a LOT of old characters I'd rather have though.

Last edited:
Runic, please stop talking out of your ass. Cammy is a wonderful character.
Apparently hearing nothing but hate about Cammy whenever she appears on stream for years nets you a call out and vonFielder (as usual) acting like you said the dumbest thing in recorded history.

I'm sorry I don't have hard proof for every viewpoint I hold, please forgive me.

That wasn't even that hyperbolic. Every time you disagree with me, you flip out and insult me. I admit that I don't always say the smartest stuff, but nothing I've ever said warranted that aggressive of a response.

Apparently hearing nothing but hate about Cammy whenever she appears on stream for years nets you a call out
Cammy is one of those interesting cases where as a character in the most basic sense of the term, she is very popular, but as a used character in the game she gets a lot of hate. The love mostly comes from her design and aesthetic, whereas the hate for her comes more from her play style. So in essence, she is both loved and hated.

I don't mind the choice of Decapre, though I was probably more entertained by the whole Alpha 3 throwback that was the trailer.

I loved the trailer the most as well. Capcom apparently knows how to have fun sometimes, idk.

And yeah that's basically Cammy in a nutshell. While she's really popular from a character standpoint, she's generally hated as far as competitiveness is concerned because she's just so fucking dumb. She's basically the CVS2 Blanka or UMVC3 Zero/Vergil of AE.

I don't really mind Decapre. I think she's gonna play fairly differently than Cammy just on the basis that she's confirmed to be a charge character and she has the teleports and stuff. Honestly she looks vicious as fuck, which is something I'm pretty hype for. At least I don't have to play Deejay in Ultra, because even if they buff him he's gonna be low tier again, I can feel it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The thing I can't stop thinking though is, why Decapre over Noembelu? Is it just because she looks suspiciously Cammyish?

Ok fuck I just answered my question, less modeling. That's the whole MO of Ultimate after all.

Yeah, I don't get why people thought it would be something drastically different or something. The other four characters were rips, Capcom can't really pull out something huge for development of one character.

Would have been great if it were another (and cuter) doll but at least Decapre's playstyle is different enough. Heavy rushdown charge character is interesting to see.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting too much out of the fifth character, looking back on it. In the back off my mind I figured it would be a doll or something but I was really hoping and to praying for something really unique like... I don't really know I guess.

However, I do agree that Decapre looks really cool in that she's far less defensive naturally than most other charge characters in the game, like Honda and Guile, who are much more tailored for turtling (which is definitely not bad by any means, and the more defensive charge characters still hold nice and heavy offensive tools like Deejay's great standing MK for pressure and Blanka in general being quite offensive.)

As far as that goes, I do think ripping and skinning is kinda the theme of Ultra. As a note, the white gradient in the transferred stages looks incredibly gaudy and I hope it gets changed before the game is released.

hi im trying to learn how to play kof13 and im really bad. i tend to use king a lot if that helps pls help
i'm late but if you have steam pm me your username and we can get some matches done :)

edit:

also kof 98 UM and 2002 UM are coming to steam, good bye happy days, hello again terrible days of being floored by literally everyone else (can't provide link because lame filters)

Here's a question: What do you guys consider spaming, and do you find that cheap?
"Spamming" a move is simply using the same move over and over without thought, think someone simply throwing fireballs at the opponent without any rhyme or reason. The definition has been blurred on a casual and competitive level as of recently, I think, often being thrown around when people are seen using a defensive playstyle that includes the use of fireballs or far-reaching moves.

For example:

Spamming is Ryu throwing a Hadoken at full screen regardless of the opponent's advancement. He is simply sitting in the corner, no movement to be found, as he chucks fire at you, regardless if it's achieving anything or not.

Keepaway is a character like Morrigan in UMVC3: she has multiple fireballs and flight patterns that require a good amount of forethought and reactions to apply correctly in a match against a player of equal skill level. (If you're unsure of what I'm referencing, or just want a better visual, look up Chris G on YouTube, he's considered one of the best UMVC3 players and uses Morrigan.)

While the two appear to be achieving the same goal, the former case is fairly thoughtless, basic, non-changing, and overall not good at all. An intelligent player will be able to wait out the spamming Ryu, eventually getting his way into a favorable position due to his predictability. The latter is much more difficult to deal with: the Morrigan player is thinking ahead of the game, and in the game at the same time. He's fighting just like a rushdown character would, but with a different character that functions in a much more different way.

Obviously, this small scenario is not all-encompassing. People spam moves that aren't long range, such as throws, fast jabs, or other longer range moves (think Dhalsim's punches and kicks in Street Fighter). The result of which is the same, however; spamming is predictable at its core. It's simply repitition that can be read and counteracted given a clear head and some careful play.

As for your second question, no I don't find spamming to be broken. It simply makes players play more patiently against spammers. To me, it's almost like playing on lower ladder, you're gonna wanna play a little more conservatively and be more careful (referencing the varying skill levels of low ladder players, etc.), but it's certainly not unbeatable.

Tl;dr: Spam is thoughtless mashing and repetitive use of the same move(s), and is often misused as a term for keepaway play. It is not broken, it just simply forces the player to play more patiently.

So if a strategy where I use rapid low kicks to force to an opponent to block low so I can hit them mid a "bitch move?" (I'm talking about SCV if you're wondering)

You see, I main Ezio in that game and I play him like a mix up character, forcing my opponents to guess where I'm gonna hit next. Because of this, I've had many people johns on me and call me a cheap scrub.

When playing fighting games competitively, everyone who's worthwhile embraces the 'cheap' stuff. Winning is a primary goal, you do what the games allows you to do in order to win. Using a good move repeatedly, quick mixups, grabs, or projectiles are the things that casual players or scrubs will usually jump to as something unfair. In almost every game, these things have counters, but they are not interested in learning those.

Your friends probably don't want to take the game that seriously, and that's fine, no one is obligated to try and be competitive. But what you're doing isn't cheap, it's them being bad. Imposing arbitrary rules of 'don't use this cheap tactic that I can't beat' is the actual scrub thing going on here.

Looking around at the links in here is probably your best bet. SCV isn't really popular right now but usually you can find another person or two willing to play whatever game if you push for it.

What fighting game is everyone playing currently? I've been hitting up some Tekken with the roommates on the PS3 lately. Smash Bros too ofc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)