Aquariums

Chou that's really awesome!! I really want to start designing aquariums like that, I don't really have the money to go out and buy the supplies needed for one right now though. I just have a 10g aquarium in my garage right now, maybe I could use that for something... ;0

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For a cheap, attractive small setup, here's what I'd get:

First, an all-glass Cube Flower Vase:

These things are sturdy, easy to find, and more importantly-- much prettier than your standard aquariums with those ugly black rims. :S

Next, a mini HOB (hand on back) Filter, something like:

http://www.petco.com/product/12148/Red-Sea-Deco-Art-Nano-Filter.aspx

Red Sea products are generally good. We got better stuff here in asia, but I'm just talking about good products I've worked with before in the US.

Since you're doing no CO2, a substrate with no ferts is preferable. Probably a natural looking light-colored sand would be most appealing. Make sure it's something inert, made for freshwater not salt.

For lighting, buy yourself an attractive looking desk light, something that looks like this:

and use a Spiral Compact light.

10-19watts is what you want (19 is kinda strong though), ideally with 6500 kelvin lighting ("sun light" is a good label to see), or atleast 5000, less than 10,000. You can get one at a COSTCO for like $10 or something.

Finally, tie some common java moss to rocks like this:

arrange in the tank and voila! Done. Frequent water changes (like replace a small cup full of water every 2-3 days) will keep a certain amount of CO2 and nutrients in the tank for the moss. Light should be on for 6 hours a day.

Eventually (after a month say), introduce some shrimp (Cherry Shrimp are the best for something like this), and possible 2-3 VERY small fish like Neon Tetras, or 1 betta.

Do the above, and you'll have yourself a very nice beginner planted tank.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dunno, but my browser spell checker leaves "aquariums" alone and red-underlines the word "aquaria".

I'm only a modern American-- I won't survive without spell check

Wow. Are these expensive or troublesome to deal with. I mean cleaning must get annoying.
But they look absolutely amazing.
I waaant....

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Expensive? Yes. Troublesome? To a degree-- but I think I have less trouble with my aquarium than most beginners with basic tanks do. It's all about putting in the effort to gain the necessary knowledge-- and having a purse deep enough (or a willingness to pay I should say?) deep enough to afford the proper equipment.

My current setup (I'm estimating off the top of my head, prices in Yen, keep in mind it's something like 83 yen to the $ now):

ADA Do!Aqua 60cmx45cmx45cm Aquarium ~13,000
ADA Do!Aqua Garden Stand ~8000

ADA Solar II Pendant Light ~24,000

ADA CO2 Kit ~20,000 (includes Regulator, Tubing, Glass Bubble Counter and Glass Diffuser)
ADA CO2 Converter (to attache the kit to a normal CO2 canister) ~3000
ADA CO2 Electric Connector (or whatever it's called, the thing that lets you put the CO2 on the timer) ~6,000
CO2 Canister, borrowed for free from a local Sake brewery (In the US, you can expect to by a small canister for $70 from an Air Gas and pay $30 for refills, which you will need probably about 3-4 times a year)

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter ~8000 yen (bought it about 4 years ago though)
ADA Steel Outflow ~4000
ADA Steel Inflow ~7000
ADA Clear tube ~1500

Horn Wood ~7,000
Rocks-- Locally Collected (I'm very fortunate, you can expect to pay a lot of money for good rocks/wood, layout materials that are aesthetically appealing and aquarium safe can really cost an arm and a leg!).

ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
ADA Mekong Sand (large and small type)
Dunno how much is in there, but I'll guess my substrates are worth about 4,000

Fish Shrimp Stock ~2500 (I get pretty good prices for Amano Shrimp here in Japan)

Plants:
-Java Moss
-Echinodorus tenellus
-Hydrocotyle sp.
-Vallisnaria nana

I'll guess that my current plants could be sold for about ~4,000 in a pet store, though they're leftovers I've had around.

Miscellaneous Hardware Store goods: ~3000

Other Tools of the trade (all made with Stainless Steel):
ADA Pro Scissors Nude 11,500
ADA Sand Leveler ~3000
ADA Pinsettes ~3000
ADA Pro Pinsettes 4000 M (I received these as a gift at one of the contests though)
ADA Pro Razer (glass cleaner) 8,000

Let's not even go into Camera/Photo Editing software . . . >___>

. . . damn, I don't even want to add all that shit up

Of course, I'm using all primo ADA stuff (though there is a whole grade of even better stuff), and you can get good results with lesser products.

My dad is a Koi expert and he got involved with an aquarium in our city! He was in the news paper for helping to rebuild. I like fish. I made like 6 ponds with my father. Its his side life practically! Koi are pretty cool and not too much to take care of. He has alot of rare ones!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I love aquariums. I had a variety of aquariums before, fresh or salt water, fish only, shrimp only, etc.
But somehow, my freshwater ones do not go too well. The fish usually end up fighting each other. (Guppies)

I also love love love the looks of planted aquariums, but I have yet to know how to build one.

So, how do you exactly plant the plants in the aquarium? And how do you calculate how much fish and plants to fill in?
What plant species can be mixed together?
Aren't gravel/ substrate difficult to clean?

Also, Chou,
What Asian brand nano filter do you recommend?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I love aquariums. I had a variety of aquariums before, fresh or salt water, fish only, shrimp only, etc.
But somehow, my freshwater ones do not go too well. The fish usually end up fighting each other. (Guppies)

I also love love love the looks of planted aquariums, but I have yet to know how to build one.

So, how do you exactly plant the plants in the aquarium? And how do you calculate how much fish and plants to fill in?
What plant species can be mixed together?
Aren't gravel/ substrate difficult to clean?

Also, Chou,
What Asian brand nano filter do you recommend?
Jynx, you live in Hong Kong-- that's like, the Mecca of aquarium goods. Just go to 金鱼街 at 通菜街 and ask around-- the sales reps will know a lot more than I do. I don't know the name of the shop, but Gary Wu has a shop there I believe. He's a several time champion/top placer in the international contests, and his small (and a bit quiet/chill) shop should be able to give you candid advice on quality products, since they specialize on top-level works (big and small). I just bought rocks and hung out for awhile when I went-- I've met the guys from CAU (HK-based Creative Aquascape Union-- the true top-class bad asses of the aquarium design world) a couple of times when they came to Japan-- very chill group.

Japan's the top in terms of development and # of hobbyists, but no where can beat Hong Kong in terms of talent and access to materials. It's the best place to be for aquarium design IMOIMO

Cresselia~~

Jynx, you live in Hong Kong-- that's like, the Mecca of aquarium goods. Just go to 金鱼街 at 通菜街 and ask around-- the sales reps will know a lot more than I do. I don't know the name of the shop, but Gary Wu has a shop there I believe. He's a several time champion/top placer in the international contests, and his small (and a bit quiet/chill) shop should be able to give you candid advice on quality products, since they specialize on top-level works (big and small). I just bought rocks and hung out for awhile when I went-- I've met the guys from CAU (HK-based Creative Aquascape Union-- the true top-class bad asses of the aquarium design world) a couple of times when they came to Japan-- very chill group.

Japan's the top in terms of development and # of hobbyists, but no where can beat Hong Kong in terms of talent and access to materials. It's the best place to be for aquarium design IMOIMO
I checked their website. Seems like a lot of useful information!
I still haven't found out about Gary's shop though.

I used to use Kotobuki air pumps and filters. I thought Kotobuki is a Japanese brand.
Oh, by the way. I saw edge-less glass tanks by Kotobuki in 金魚街. Instead of the ugly black edges, the glass is actually curved and the corners.

went to the biggest aquarium in Europe a while back, have a load of pictures on my phone, including a cool video where these seals follow my phone when you move it around

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I checked their website. Seems like a lot of useful information!
I still haven't found out about Gary's shop though.

I used to use Kotobuki air pumps and filters. I thought Kotobuki is a Japanese brand.
Oh, by the way. I saw edge-less glass tanks by Kotobuki in 金魚街. Instead of the ugly black edges, the glass is actually curved and the corners.
Curved is actually less popular amongst designers than straight.

ADA (Japanese design company) set the trend for straight rimless glass tanks with overhead lights, and the style really hasn't changed since. In China/HK though, there are lots of knock-off makers that make rimless straight glass aquariums in a variety of degrees of quality-- from low, poor-quality tanks with very visible sealant to top-class quality beautiful aquariums. You just got to look around, and know what you're looking for.

I did some aquarium design when I was living in Guangzhou-- used products both from GZ and HK, and while I don't know brands to recommend, I know there's good stuff out there; and cheap! (by American/Japanese/European standards)

There's a lot that goes into really good aquarium design, but there's a lot of info out there too-- and in HK, there's a lot of firsthand resources. I'd say just spending time in 金魚街 looking at a lot of different shops is a great way to learn what's out there.

Cresselia~~

Hmmm... I wonder why they don't like the curved edges. Is it because of the diffraction of light? Distortion of image?
But the curve tanks seem to be quite popular for regular fish keepers.

I am so confused as to which filter to buy. Different brands exaggerate their filter power in a different percentage. It's hard to tell which is more powerful when comparing 2 brands.
To be fair, I'd stick to Japanese brands for their quality and standard.

Cresselia~~

Starpets is also another good brand for filters, but only the sponge type filters.
I don't know if those are good enough for artistic tanks?
Actually I guess they should do. Wouldn't imagine planted tanks to be high-demanding. Unless you mean the water flow isn't huge enough, but don't you have something else to create a current?

I prefer this kind of filter if it's for shrimps or guppies. Because you get to clean and re-use the sponge, one at a time.
Rather than disposing anything.

Cresselia~~

Hey Chou!
I just popped into Goldfish Street yesterday, and found some new moss items!
There's this floating moss ball (not marimo, but java/ flaming/ delta moss) stringed to a lead piece that ends up in the middle of the tank.
I think it looks really funny.
I'm thinking of a tank with a moss wall, moss floor and then some floating moss spheres in the middle.

There's also this moss stick that's moss attached to bamboo stick. It seems to be good for filling gaps of the moss wall.
So I can probably buy the moss on wire nets, and then fill the gaps with a few of these moss sticks.

(I like moss. So easy to keep and looks funny.)

Thing with moss and cherry shrimps is, you can make a complete eco-loop with them.
I've tried this before with a sealed flask. It works when it has plenty of sunlight.
Ah... what if I don't have sunlight? Which aquarium lighting is the most similar to sunlight?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wow, interesting thread! Not that I'm very much into aquariums at all, but I know just enough to recognise when it's done well. Looks impressive!

By the way, user "jhonson smith" up there is probably a spambot. Nobody registers on a Pokémon forum, with such a generic name, only to bump one three-year-old thread about something completely off-topic. Add to that the link in the post, and I think we've got ourselves a keyword-triggered bot.

I have a really tiny planted aquarium. It has only got two kinds of plants in it. The marimo moss, which I stuffed into some rocks and hemianthus callitrichoides, has really small leaves. I'm currently waiting for the Hemianthus to take root before I start stocking shrimp. I don't run a CO2 system on it, but I do dose lots of fertilizers and liquid carbon.

Expensive? Yes. Troublesome? To a degree-- but I think I have less trouble with my aquarium than most beginners with basic tanks do. It's all about putting in the effort to gain the necessary knowledge-- and having a purse deep enough (or a willingness to pay I should say?) deep enough to afford the proper equipment.

My current setup (I'm estimating off the top of my head, prices in Yen, keep in mind it's something like 83 yen to the $ now):

ADA Do!Aqua 60cmx45cmx45cm Aquarium ~13,000
ADA Do!Aqua Garden Stand ~8000

ADA Solar II Pendant Light ~24,000

ADA CO2 Kit ~20,000 (includes Regulator, Tubing, Glass Bubble Counter and Glass Diffuser)
ADA CO2 Converter (to attache the kit to a normal CO2 canister) ~3000
ADA CO2 Electric Connector (or whatever it's called, the thing that lets you put the CO2 on the timer) ~6,000
CO2 Canister, borrowed for free from a local Sake brewery (In the US, you can expect to by a small canister for $70 from an Air Gas and pay $30 for refills, which you will need probably about 3-4 times a year)

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter ~8000 yen (bought it about 4 years ago though)
ADA Steel Outflow ~4000
ADA Steel Inflow ~7000
ADA Clear tube ~1500

Horn Wood ~7,000
Rocks-- Locally Collected (I'm very fortunate, you can expect to pay a lot of money for good rocks/wood, layout materials that are aesthetically appealing and aquarium safe can really cost an arm and a leg!).

ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
ADA Mekong Sand (large and small type)
Dunno how much is in there, but I'll guess my substrates are worth about 4,000

Fish Shrimp Stock ~2500 (I get pretty good prices for Amano Shrimp here in Japan)

Plants:
-Java Moss
-Echinodorus tenellus
-Hydrocotyle sp.
-Vallisnaria nana

I'll guess that my current plants could be sold for about ~4,000 in a pet store, though they're leftovers I've had around.

Miscellaneous Hardware Store goods: ~3000

Other Tools of the trade (all made with Stainless Steel):
ADA Pro Scissors Nude 11,500
ADA Sand Leveler ~3000
ADA Pinsettes ~3000
ADA Pro Pinsettes 4000 M (I received these as a gift at one of the contests though)
ADA Pro Razer (glass cleaner) 8,000

Let's not even go into Camera/Photo Editing software . . . >___>

. . . damn, I don't even want to add all that shit up

Of course, I'm using all primo ADA stuff (though there is a whole grade of even better stuff), and you can get good results with lesser products.
This is approximately between 1,150 and 1,200 U. S. D. or 136,500 yen. Does that sound right, Chou Toshio ?

Anyway: this thread reminded me that I have an old tank that I used to keep a few clownfish, an anemone, and a few crabs in. Does anyone have recommendations for a saltwater tank? I want to base it around pajama cardinalfish. If you can't suggest other fish to match with these, I am also interested in the flame angelfish.

If we have more freshwater experts, I would be interested in a tank based around rainbow sharks. Keep in mind that I cannot clean up as well after freshwater plants. *cough Chou cough*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)