Pokemon Throwback - Gen IV Tier Shift

EV

Banned deucer.
I know it's not even a day in, but me and the Reptile saw each other on the ladder, and we agreed there are some really broken stuff in the meta right now, these being Garchomp and the blue shadow tag blobs.
With Garchomp Sub DD does everything that Sub SD did back in dpp, but better, and the sand veil roulette combined with his (relatively) outstanding bulk, he easily can win games single-handedly when brought out at the right time & will probably end up being the same centralizing force in this meta as he was back in dpp.
Wynaut & Wobbuffet are just inherently broken without team preview. They are designed to be able to punish their opponent just by winning a 1v1 situation, giving the person who lost the original 1v1 not only momentum, but also a free setup opportunity that could possibly cost them the game. In Gen V, with the advent of team preview, you could plan ahead for them by making sure that by avoiding having important counters/ setup fodder left in on possible wobbuffet switch-in opportunities, but without it you are completely blindsided by them.
OK thank you for the insight.

If it's already clear this early, I'll go ahead and ban the following:
  • Garchomp
  • Bright Powder
  • Wobbuffet/Wynaut

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
My reasoning is that gen 4 was already a heavily offensive metagame. STABmons adds even more to offense and gives little to stall strategies (especially in gen 4). To me, unleashing ubers and giving them extended movepools would make the meta far too unbalanced and make stall nearly impossible. The only defensive pokemon released from ubers is pretty much just mew. (deo-d is used to stack hazards, and wobbu is more for revenge killing purposes).

Sure, the threats can be reliably checked by offensive threats like mamoswine, but this means the meta will be entirely offense based. A balanced metagame should allow all team archetypes to be successful to at least some extent without making arbitrary bans or taking away from the "goal" of the meta. In this case the bans are not arbitrary because they are uber in gen IV, and the meta is based on OU, not ubers.
This is stabmons. so....lol.
Don't act like stall "has" to be viable, it doesn't even matter if stall is absolutely unusable. I am really in the zone where STABmons is built for fast paced, offensive play. Its always been that way. So asking stall to be viable in STABmons is like asking Smogon to adapt to metagames. Fast paced, offensive, creative metagames are what the randoms want too, it gets the most attention because its the easiest to mold into using your ideas and a little experience.

EV

Banned deucer.
There are a couple more days left to ladder! Who will claim the top spot this month? Also, tomorrow I will post the two metagames up for vote to be next month's ladder. Follow the OM Twitter account to get a sneak peak! (look in my sig for link)

EV

Banned deucer.
Please vote for either Gen III 1v1 or Gen IV Tier Shift.

Your account must be at least one week old at the time of this post in order for your vote to count.

1v1 will not have Team Preview as it did not exist in Gen III. Tier Shift will apply stats to the last rankings from Gen IV (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)