Pokkén Tournament

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
This looks awesome and I think it would be a success for Nintendo but there is NO way this is coming to NA.

please be available on all consoles please be available on all consoles.

Anyways, I'm excited for this! Project M has been fun as far as fighting games go, but this is something new to our franchise that will most likely break our chain of "I wish that we could fight other pokemon in better graphics, that would be so cool." No more groaning and complaining ladies and gentlefish! We're getting our wishes.

I really hope that they include Hariyama, I mean, the thing is a bulky fighting type modeled after Sumo Wrestlers. It fits perfectly, even if it may be slow and a little underrated. Slow but strong is what I'm hoping for, makes a better match with less predictability! (albeit the same could be said for around 90% of anything that people use.)

I'm hype, and can't wait to be able to play this. I'm thinking a big release day party for this, get together some other friends and have food and just chill. So whenever this is released, I'll be waiting with my guest list in hand.

Wasn't there a fan-made version of this made some time ago? I remember it including some fighting types, as well as others like Gardevoir and Gengar, and then some just odd ones like Snorlax and Swalot. Not that the fan-made version would have any say on what will happen here, but it showed that more than just bipedal fighting types could be used in this type of format. Either way, Nintendo was never really one to mono-type any kind of pokemon game, and I doubt that they'll just stick to the upright fighters here just because of awkward positioning. I think Lopunny will be a prime candidate for inclusion, and I think Gardevoir and Gallade could do fairly well.

This looks awesome and I think it would be a success for Nintendo but there is NO way this is coming to NA.
Then why did the official US website mention it? They've never mentioned other Japan exclusives before. This indicates that Nintendo plans for it to come out internationally.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Then why did the official US website mention it? They've never mentioned other Japan exclusives before. This indicates that Nintendo plans for it to come out internationally.
They're unsure about releases especially on the Wii U (I could see it coming to NA on the 3DS but staying in Japan for the 3DS) this is also made by Namco who has had problems with sales on their games being released on this gens Nintendo platforms (3DS included) and they have made games like this (not Pokemon related) that stayed in Japan a lot more than they left.

By the way, the fan game people are talking about is called "Pokemon: Type Wild" if anyone wants to look it up. Basically Pokken Fighters but with an anime aesthetic.

According to this article, the game will not use Tekken's engine and will be completely new. It seems like it will not be as technical as Tekken and more straightforward. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the basic commands of the Tekken system. This video is a good tutorial for basic control/movement. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just until 3:45 in to get the basic notation and movement. Anything beyond that point is Tekken specific.

Also, according to the article, no Tekken characters will be appearing.
That looks pretty cool. I'm used to 2D fast paced fighters so this could help me branch out to other fighting games.

Also, the unreleased roster is going to keep us awake for a long time.

So far it looks to be only fighting-type Pokémon. I can definitely expect the likes of Infernape, Mienshao and Mega Lopunny - heck, this game might even be a big reasoning behind the latter existing.

Edit: Since this is a discussion about an upcoming game, shouldn't it be pinned to the top of the forum like the ORAS thread is?
Yeah that is very ineresting they introduce M-Lopunny as a fighting type and then introduce a brand new fighting game. I would love to see M-Swampert as well.

This game might also make it onto 3DS if Dead or alive and blazblue are anything to go by, and for everyone who have doubts of quadrupedal pokemon not making it in, look at amaterasu in marvel 3, it's completely possible.

Somethings we could probably discuss is what characters would fit the common character archetypes in fighting games. You have your Zoners (characters who play keep away), Grapplers (Slow but devastating damage), Shotos (Generic Jack of all trades), Rushdown (in your face 24/7), and Speed/Mix-up characters (try hard to catch me, guess which way I plan on hitting you from)

Lucario looks like he'll be a typical Shoto and machamp, although he would make for perfect grappler material, looks like rush down to me.

I'll just get these three out of the way because they're probably the easiest to put in an archetype, Greninja -> Speed Mix up, Delphox -> Zoner, Chesnaught -> Grappler.

A few pokemon that would be interesting to see in this game would be weavile, and Gardevoir.

Gardevoir would make for an interesting charge character. Charge characters are basically characters whose button inputs involve moving in one direction and quickly to another following a button input to execute an attack. Gardevoir is usually depicted skating or teleporting around in the anime, and since tekken is a 3D fighter, this would make alot of sense for her flavor wise and help establish her as a zoner.

Weavile could fit in either a rush down or speed/mix-up archetype very easily, considering his speed tier in the actual game. He could be a fast but fragile (Think seth from under night in birth or chipp from GG) character that either applies some good pressure when he gets to you, or fish around for that one hit to put you in a vortex

I also wonder if they'll include abilities in some way in this game

Pokemon I could see making the roster based on popularity, sensibility, & body proportions:

-Scizor
-Electivire (t-punch)
-Sceptile (leaf blade)
-Bisharp
-Mr. Mime
-Mega Mawile
-Poliwrath
-Heracross
-Charizard-X
-Hitmonchan
-Mega Lopunny
-Hawlucha (new gen representation)
-Meloetta
-Infernape
-Emboar
-Chesnaught
-Pikachu
-Pangoro
-Pinsir
-Zangoose
-Marowak
-Feraligatr
-Greninja
-Mewtwo (Mewtwo-X)

With these plus the other 3 confirmed, that would give us a 25 character roster.

Well that's interesting game concept. Wonder if they'll put all Fighting types in? Would definitely fit the theme and there's a variety of styles represented- except maybe they won't use the Musketeers since I can't really see them in a fighting game as quadrupeds. Unless they pull a Motaro from Mortal Kombat.

Just some speculation if they ever do all the fully-evolved fighting pokemon as a roster and the roles they could do:

Grappler/Counter-
Throh, Hariyama, Pangoro, Emboar, Scrafty, Chesnaught , Heracross (some strike-based horn moves)

Shoto-
Lucario, Mega Mewtwo X, Poliwrath (Water gun moves + maybe some grappler moves)

Rushdown-
Primeape, Sawk, Mienshao, Blaziken, Infernape, Mega Lopunny, Machamp (slower but emphasis on many arms I'm guessing)

Zoner-
Conkeldurr (pillars would have big range), Gallade (Teleport Mix-ups/extendable blades/Psycho Cut)

Technical/Special mix-
Hitmontop (mix-up/combo-heavy/some counter)
Hitmonchan (speed/maybe some counters)
Hitmonlee (maybe zoner with the stretchy legs)
Hawlucha (aerial-focused, speedy grappler)
Toxicroak (maybe some counters like Revenge/Sucker Punch?, poison counters)
Meleotta-P (stance-based character- more combo-friendly as Pirouette, maybe projectile zoner as Aria forme)
Breloom (some strike-based rushdown moves like Mach Punch, some counters, Spore/Bullet Seed projectile.)
Medicham (Teleport zoner, charge moves?)

Charge-
If any of them had to be charge characters they would be the more defensive ones: maybe Scrafty or Chesnaught? Maybe Sawk/Medicham for a faster charge character with sudden bursts of combo moves. Heck, Hitmontop can possibly fill this role as well since it seems like it's mostly in a defensive position. Breloom another possibility with some utility moves, maybe like Mitsuru from Persona 4 arena.

Maybe even Tyrogue as a joke baby character.

It would be neat to have those good range of styles and any other types would be a nice surprise. At the very least if they have Heracross I feel Pinsir should be in it to go with the dual beetle battle theme and it mostly learns Fighting moves. Would love to see things like Scizor, Bisharp and Kabutops as well. Maybe special item using Pokemons like Marowak and Farfetch'd joke character could make a suprising cut. Knowing Tekken's Panda and Kuma characters, Bearctic and Ursaring could be possible.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I've just tweeted on Pokken's Twitter this morning, and my Twitter account got suspended for it??
I've only registered this morning and this is my first time using Twitter!!

What is with this insanity?
Anyone else have the same problem?

And how does Twitter decide to ban anyone anyway?

I've set up this Twitter account solely for voting on Pokken, and I'm really disappointed with Twitter.
No wonder people from my place rarely use it LOL.

Convenient snip
I like the catagories you've placed them in. However, I really hope each character plays differently than the next one. One thing in fighting games I don't like are clone characters.

I've just tweeted on Pokken's Twitter this morning, and my Twitter account got suspended for it??

I've set up this Twitter account solely for voting on Pokken, and I'm really disappointed with Twitter.
I just checked my twitter account and saw nothing happened. My vote is still there. Hmmm, I wouldn't know what went wrong seeing as that was only the second time I've used twitter.

Someone reported you, probably not the Pokken twitter though.

I'm really interested in this, and don't see how it could not be expanded internationally if it's any good, but until it's confirmed for North America, I'll probably stay out of this convo

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
According to Serebii, it's been confirmed that the game is not limiting characters to only be Fighting-types.

Thought of some more additions I would like

Kangaskhan as a puppet character, Heracross as a grappler, Medicham as a rushdown character, and Nidoking as a charge character

According to this article, during a Q&A Twitter session, Harada stated that there will not be a high/mid/low guard system. He also stated that, technologically speaking, they won't have a problem implementing whatever pokemon they want so the game will not be restricted to only humanoid pokemon. So roster-wise, it basically seems like anything goes.

Harada has been answering some questions on twitter that fans(even us English speaking ones) have been asking about Pokken. His twitter is @Harada_TEKKEN He's a really cool guy.

He confirmed that it won't be just fully evolved Pokemon (Pikachu confirmed) and it might not be 1vs1 or tag team, he says it's a secret and that they have "some new ideas".

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

The Japanese had been flooding votes for Magnemite for some reason.
No idea why.
Gardevoir also has a lot of votes but that's obvious as to why.
Jynx got 4 votes from Japan, that's because people want a female freezer/ cooler.

It seems that Japanese votes are very humanoid-centric.
The following have a lot of votes: (in no particular order)
1. Hawlucha
2. Mienshao
3. Mr. Mime
4. Gardevoir
5. Hitmonchan/lee/top

Non humanoids with lots of votes:
1. Magnemite
2. Weavile
3. Sneasel
4. Swampert

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Weavile and Sneasel not humanoid? Okay, their heads are kind of big, but they walk on two legs, and have a body structure almost identical to humans, save for the (insignificant) tail.

If I could put in a non-humanoid, I'd like to see Skarmory give it a shot. Razor-sharp wings, a tail like a blade, a beak like a plate cutter, and if its inspiration from ostriches is anything to go by, it could probably deliver some nasty kicks.

Cresselia~~

Weavile and Sneasel not humanoid? Okay, their heads are kind of big, but they walk on two legs, and have a body structure almost identical to humans, save for the (insignificant) tail.

If I could put in a non-humanoid, I'd like to see Skarmory give it a shot. Razor-sharp wings, a tail like a blade, a beak like a plate cutter, and if its inspiration from ostriches is anything to go by, it could probably deliver some nasty kicks.
It's neither based off a human, nor it is from the humanshaped egg group.
That's how I define it.
Otherwise anything bipedal is humanoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)