Type Control (Playable on Aqua and Pandora)

Approved by The Eevee General & The Immortal
T
ype Control

Introduction

A large amount Pokemon are plagued with abominable types. Have you always wanted to use Articuno effectively in OU, but couldn't due to its horrendous type? Type Control is a metagame that allows you to use any Pokemon with any type. Typings are altered through nicknaming your Pokemon! For example, if you nickname your Celebi Dragon/Fairy, it will become a Dragon/Fairy type! Nicknames also reveal a Pokemon's typing, which makes the metagame more consistent as there's less deception involved. It's also worth noting that Mega Pokemon can be used with any type; if you Mega Evolve your Water/Fire Charizard to Mega Charizard-X, it will keep its Water/Fire typing.

Banlist:

Current Suspect:

Ghost/Normal OR Dark (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 158 HP / 252 Atk / 98 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Substitute / Earthquake / Roost
- Swords Dance

With a 140 Base-Power STAB Facade, Gliscor can sweep unprepared teams. Knock Off pairs well with Facade, as very few types can wall Normal + Dark-type coverage. Gliscor has an easy time setting against various threats, so Substitute is a great option that works well together with Poison Heal. Earthquake is a decent option over Substitute, as it grants it the coverage to defeat a few dangerous threats, such as Steel-type Avalugg. Roost makes Gliscor a lot harder to kill, as Gliscor has the bulk to abuse it significantly. The EV spread allows Gliscor to outpace fully invested Adamant Mega Heracross (I highly suggest using this EV spread.)

Conclusion & Playability

HUGE thanks to Slayer95 as he coded Type Control and made it an available format in http://pandora.psim.us/english without me even asking him to; what a guy! Snaquaza has also implemented it on his server, be sure to play it at http://aqua.psim.us/ I go there a lot and it's quite fantastic. I hope you enjoy playing Type Control! Be sure to vote for it in future Other Metagame of The Months!!

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Steel / Fire Cresselia. GG.

Fighting / Flying Mega Pinsir for that Fighting / Flying coverage, though.

Poison or Ghost / Electric Gengar could be interesting.

Last edited:
Some of my ideas:

Ghost/Fairy Sylveon
Dark/Flying Mega Scizor
Normal/Fighting Arcanine
Normal/Ground Dragonite
Dragon/Electric (or Dragon/Steel) Kyurem-B
Fire/Grass Victreebel

Mold Breakers will be very useful for dealing with Shedy.

Last edited:
This is a really fun OM. I'm already quite partial to type changing OMs.

Some stuff I used:
Poison / Fighting Lando-I
Water / Fairy Manaphy
Grass / Fairy Heatran
Steel / Fire Slowbro
Ghost / Electric Gengar
Water / Ground Gyarados

I was pretty hasty with team building so I just made a team that was highly resistant to SR and had good offensive STAB options. Heatran and Slowbro were just interesting type combos I thought of.

Mega Gyarados was a good pick cos I saw a lot of Cress. Lando-I is also really good. I chose Fighting / Poison to better combat against all the fairies I would be seeing. Immunity to toxic also helps.

Ground/Ice FTW. Failing that, (As Normal/Ghost is going to be quite a common thing here) Ground/Flying, Fairy/Ground, and the ever-popular Rock/Ground offensive types hit the widest variety of types SE. For neutral coverage... most of the same apply, actually. (Fighting/Ghost still hits everything not Normal/Ghost neutrally, but with everything that doesn't mind taking neutral hits being capable of running it it's not nearly as unresisted as in standards).

Ice/Ground/Electric coverage hits something like 70-80% of possible type combos SE. Nidoking gets this (Ice Beam, T-Bolt and EPower) and Sheer Force, while Mew can run the same three with Nasty Plot. The best of your other options that legal is actually Tyranitar. Unfortunately, only a few things can run this physically without resorting to using both elemental punches, none of which can use Icicle Crash (And one of the other good three-type combos, Ground/Rock/Ice is only doable with Icicle Crash by Mamoswine and by a wider variety of things such as Conkeldurr or Aggron if you're willing to run Ice Punch)

Overall, things with huge movepools but horrible STAB moves or typing can now enjoy the freedom that comes from smacking things around with the far wider variety of coverage moves that they can run without losing out on STAB power.

I'll just post my best mon here before someone else thinks of it >.>

Adaptibility PorygonZ, with electric/ice typing n_n. I herd you liek bolt-beam.
I've actually found psychic / electric better due to being able to 2hko almost any wall in the tier with specs. I think only rhydon is capable of walling it due to lightning rod

Edit: Also, dark / normal (for facade + koff) gliscor is very good and is only really walled by fairy / steel types, which can easily be dealt with by probopass, which is also very good

canno

formerly The Reptile
A cute idea is Steel / Flying Mega Scizor for more bulky offensive teams. The optimal set for this imo is 252/252+ bold, even for the bulky SD set. It has similar physical bulk to Skarmory but with much better special bulk, and it has offensive presence with Technician Aerial Ace and Bullet Punch. It doesn't have Stealth Rock or Whirlwind, but it does have Defog for support and U-Turn for momentum.

EV

Banned deucer.
Things I used earlier:

This type combo is pretty popular with only a weakness to Ground, as such you often see it on a Pokemon with Levitate. I like the Regenerator aspect, however. The offensive presence Tornadus-T provides while also granting your team momentum is a huge boon considering switching is so common in this meta. I ran a set of Taunt / Knock Off / Sludge Wave / U-turn with a Life Orb and it put in work. Right now Team Preview isn't enabled*, so having a lead with Taunt is nice. U-turn is handy for grabbing early momentum if you suspect a switch or you can go straight for the Knock Off and hit most things that don't resist Dark pretty hard. Sludge Wave is important to hit any non-Steel Fairies. The set is pretty flexible and as the metagame develops, I have a feeling other strategies like Assault Vest will also prove their worth. For now, give the Bird a try; you won't be disappointed.

I suggest you devote at least one slot to a Mold Breaker in Type Control and preferably one that can threaten Levitators trying to evade Ground attacks. With Haxorus's insane Attack and sudden access to STAB Earthquake, he fits the bill very well. The secondary typing can be catered to your needs depending on what you want to counter. My main goal was beating Fairy/Steel Cresselia so I needed to resist Moonblast and be immune to Toxic and T-wave. I added Substitute to my set to absorb stray Will-O-Wisps and Taunts, especially from Mew. This was a setup attacker so I also had Dragon Dance and Rock Slide. Iron Head could have worked, but I wanted a SE attack to hit Flying-types and Ground/Rock is good all-around coverage, though Rock Slide is pretty weak without any boosts. Taunt could have gone on there somewhere, but we'll get to that later.

Ah, Mew. Cute, lovable Mew. This thing is one of the best Pokemon in Type Control and so adaptable it's insane. Why Water/Steel? I was running it with a Calm Mind pure-Electric Latias and the synergy is pretty good (bar Fighting resists and Moldy EQ). Mew is so versatile it can do literally anything you want. I wanted a bulky Defogger resistant to SR with instant recovery. STAB on Scald was the icing on the cake. Water/Steel is actually one of the best combinations defensively so the opportunities to switch in are numerous. Use that time wisely. Looking back, I stretched Mew a bit thin with my set (Defog / Roost / Scald / Taunt), but it only shows how many roles Mew can often perform on just one set. Speaking of Taunt, it is probably one of the best moves at the moment for shutting down the heavy lean toward stall. A lot of defensive/supportive Pokemon have types that they often don't use for attacking purposes, so without STAB they're pretty weak. Mew can Taunt a wall, Toxic/burn it, and take pitiful damage from its attacks, sometimes even if it does have STAB. Sure they can switch out, but this is where your own hazards come in. You could even run a Ghost/Steel Mew to block Rapid Spin and Taunt potential Defoggers all at the same time. I can't stress enough how valuable Mew is for any team.

Other good ideas:
  • Pursuit - Ghosts are everywhere. Catch 'em on the run.
  • PerishTrap - If the Ghosts are cleared, take out those annoying walls with some good ol' PerishTrapping. Umbreon is girthy and can Wish heal itself while it whittles down the target. Azumarill has Whirlpool for trapping. Jynx is immune to Taunt.
  • Magnet Pull - Steel-types are everywhere, too. Catch 'em before they run.
  • Knock Off - Kind of a duh, but seriously, get rid of those Eviolites and Shed Shells.
*It is now.

Last edited:
This set seems pretty good to me:

Ground/Flying (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Ground/Flying typing leaves you with only a couple weaknesses (Ice, most notably), and gives you the STAB necessary to beat omnipresent Steel/Fairy and Steel/Ghost types. You are, as I found out, entirely walled by Steel/Flying, but that shouldn't be quite as common. Aerilate is really powerful as is; if this thing can get in a free Swords Dance, it has a nice chance at sweeping. The STABs are also really good coverage.

Here's a clever guy I've used:

Item: Lefties
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall
- Facade

Dragonite is already easy to setup in normal game, now its easier. Abusing STAB e-speed and getting stab to waterfall = excellent neutral coverage.
a non ghost tank switches in to will-o-wisp? eat stab facade. Thanks to the new facade mechanic, this ensures insane damage output which can lead the foe to a even worse situation than the one they were in.

Best paired with a pursuit user to eliminate ghosts.

The Eevee General said:
I suggest you devote at least one slot to a Mold Breaker in Type Control and preferably one that can threaten Levitators trying to evade Ground attacks. With Haxorus's insane Attack and sudden access to STAB Earthquake, he fits the bill very well. The secondary typing can be catered to your needs depending on what you want to counter. My main goal was beating Fairy/Steel Cresselia so I needed to resist Moonblast and be immune to Toxic and T-wave. I added Substitute to my set to absorb stray Will-O-Wisps and Taunts, especially from Mew. This was a setup attacker so I also had Dragon Dance and Rock Slide. Iron Head could have worked, but I wanted a SE attack to hit Flying-types and Ground/Rock is good all-around coverage, though Rock Slide is pretty weak without any boosts. Taunt could have gone on there somewhere, but we'll get to that later.
I thought of this last night as a counter to the steel fairy cress ;; it's like a much better excradril n_n too bad you posted it before me ;;.

However i'll add to it by posting the set i plan on using.

Steel/Ground (Haxorus) @ Leftovers
Jolly/Adamant (undecided D: ) natured
Moves:
-Substitute
-Doesn't learn iron head ;; - so, filler
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

I picked dragon dance over swords dance so that i can outspeed timid/jolly mew after a boost and the sub is for avoiding the burn or just for setting up behind i guess.

tegrof19 said:
Landorus much likes shedding its flying type for STAB on an SF boosted move.
I actually used sheer force ground/psychic lando but it really does not appreciate all the freaking levitate abusers in this meta ;;

Also, type control protip: if you use ground types you're better off using one with mold breaker

one set i've found fun, if not useful, is bug/steel vivillion. why vivillion, do you ask? vivillion is the best pokemon with access to powder, a move that can essentially use it's one weakness against the opponent. it can also use compound eyes sleep powder, which only has a 2.5% chance to miss, which is a lot of fun in any meta

oml i just thought of the stronkest thing
normal/electric (or just normal/anything) light ball pika

._.
252 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 102-121 (28.9 - 34.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Normal type Pikachu and non-Steel Ferrothorn. Not very powerful. And with the high number of Steel, Rock and Ghost types, it's even worse.

And a frailer target: 252 Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Weavile: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

No, not very powerful.

unfortunantly pikachu lacks any ways to boost its attack, otherwise normal type pikachu with e-speed in adamant nature could deal quite some damage.

If you really want to use pika pika chuu chuu could use it as nasty plot water/electrict with surf thunderbolt and filler
Even then the little lightning rodent is very frail and there are way better mons for similiar jobs unfortunantly.

I thought of this last night as a counter to the steel fairy cress ;; it's like a much better excradril n_n too bad you posted it before me ;;.

However i'll add to it by posting the set i plan on using.

Steel/Ground (Haxorus) @ Leftovers
Jolly/Adamant (undecided D: ) natured
Moves:
-Substitute
-Doesn't learn iron head ;; - so, filler
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

I picked dragon dance over swords dance so that i can outspeed timid/jolly mew after a boost and the sub is for avoiding the burn or just for setting up behind i guess.
Mega Gyarados has more bulk and it actually learns Iron Head and Iron Tail. Haxorus could be a fine alternative if you want to use another mega though.

This is a great idea for a meta that I want to play, but relying on my own creativity (yes I made offensive Whimsicott a thing and that was basically the best thing I did) is a bad idea, so let's do it like this.

* = already has good typing, at least for its job

A

• Abomasnow - Can now get rid of a ton of its weaknesses, but hail won't be that good in a meta with everything having different typings
  • Accelgor - Not exactly a good typing, but off its movepool, offensive sets with any of Grass/Fighting/Poison/Bug could be good
  • Aegislash - I think this should be unbanned, but I'll leave it until a decision is made since its already got amazing typing
  • *Aggron - Steel is already good defensively, but it gets Autotomize and Head Smash, maybe a Rock/Ground mega sweeper or Steel/Fairy wall, or even Steel/Dragon Paired with a Fairy-type
  • Alakazam - Fairy/Fighting
  • Altaria - Hopeless
  • Ambipom - Hopeless
  • *Amoonguss - With all the changes in this meta, it's best to wait since in OU its typing is already good
  • *Ampharos - Already good defensively without mega evo, offensively with
  • Arbok - Some hope with Coil, possibly Dark/Ground
  • Arcanine - Needs to use its offensive movepool, so any of Fire/Fighting/Electric/Dark/Normal
  • Archeops - Almost anything
  • Ariados - Doesn't matter since Webs lead
  • Armaldo - Water/Rock with Swift Swim is normally outclassed by Kabutops, so who knows?
  • *Aromatisse - Fairy/Steel please no
  • Aurorus - This thing NEEDS IT. Literally anything is better
  • Avalugg - ^
  • *Azumarill - Fighting/Fairy maybe, otherwise stick to the original
B
  • Banette - tough call
  • Barbaracle - Any of Water/Fighting/Rock
  • Bastiodon - Team dependedt, but Steel/Fairy
  • Beartic - Fairy/Anything, but Play Rough + Low Kick is illegal, so Fairy/Ice?
  • Beautifly - no.
  • Beedrill - It's a lead so it wants bad typing to get off an Endeavor, so Ice/Rock?
  • Beheeyem - don't use this
  • Bellossom - ^
  • Bibarel - ^
  • *Bisharp
  • *Blastoise
  • *Blaziken
  • Blissey/Chansey - I know what you're thinking, and I hate you.
  • Braviary - Not that good
  • Breloom - Rock/Fighting would be nice
  • Bronzong - Don't use this without Steel/Fairy
  • Butterfree - no.
C
  • Cacturne - Water Absorb makes it unique, so anything
  • Camerupt - ^ except Solid Rock
  • Carracosta - Doesn't have the movepool for much else
  • *Chandelure
  • *Charizard - Good Mega X, otherwise, Fire/Grass or Fighting for Y maybe
  • Cherrim - no.
  • Chesnaught - No idea, be creative people
  • Chimecho - no.
  • Cinccino - Anything from its offensive movepool, maybe Grass/Rock
  • Clawitzer - Fighting/Dark, possibly even Dragon
  • Claydol - don't.
  • *Clefable
  • Cloyster - It's garbage anyway
  • *Cofagrigus
  • Conkeldurr - Nearly anything depending on how you use it
  • Cradily - Gimmicky Fairy/Steel Stockpile?
  • *Crawdaunt
  • *Crobat
  • Crustle - Rock/Ground Shell Smash, Fairy/Steel support
D
  • Darmanitan - It loves Fire for Flare Blitz but...
  • Delcatty - no.
  • Delphox - no.
  • Dewgong - no.
  • Diggersby - Ground/Electric, just break the meta already
  • Dodrio - no.
  • Donphan - NO.
  • *Dragalge
  • Dragonite - Again literally anything
  • *Drapion
  • *Drifblim - Don't change, Verlisify blimp
  • Dugtrio - It's a trapper, so team dependent
  • Dusknoir - NO.
  • Dustox - bad
E
  • *Eelektross
  • Electivire - NOW IT CAN BE GYARAVIRE ALL IN 1, LIMITED TIME OFFER PEOPLE
  • Electrode - ?
  • Emboar - I like Fire/Electric, but Fighting could be ok, even if just as a coverage move
  • *Empoleon
  • *Escavalier
  • Espeon - bad
  • *Excadrill
  • Exeggutor - anything
  • Exploud - Needs Normal to be good, but that secondary typing...
F
  • Fearow - no
  • Feraligatr - Water/Normal. RIP.
  • *Ferrothorn
  • Flareon - Don't be that guy and make Flareon anything but Fire. Don't.
  • Floatzel - no.
  • *Florges
  • *Flygon
  • Forretress - Steel/Fairy... again
  • *Froslass - See: reason it was banned from RU
  • Furret - no
G
  • Gallade - no
  • *Galvantula
  • Garbodor - no
  • *Garchomp
  • Gardevoir - Pure Fairy, maybe Fairy/Fighting
  • *Gastrodon
  • *Gengar
  • Gigalith - no
  • Glaceon - Ice/Ghost, maybe Ice/Steel
  • Glalie - no
  • Gliscor - See OP
  • Gogoat - no
  • Golduck - It's Golduck.
  • *Golem
  • Golurk - Ground/Ice or Fighting
  • Goodra - Wants Dragon/Fire but AV SR weak mon is bad
  • *Gorebyss
  • Gothitelle - lol
  • *Gourgeist
  • *Granbull
  • Greninja - um... ??????
  • Grumpig - Anything
  • Gyarados - loses those mind games frim mega evolving sadly
H
  • Hariyama
  • Haxorus
  • Heliolisk
  • Hippowdon
  • Hitmonchan
  • Hitmonlee
  • Hitmontop
  • Honchkrow
  • Houndoom
  • Huntail
  • Hydreigon
  • Hypno
I
  • Infernape
J
  • Jellicent
  • Jolteon
  • Jumpluff
  • Jynx
K
  • Kabutops
  • Kingdra
  • Kingler
  • Klinklang
  • Kricketune
  • Krookodile
L
  • Lanturn
  • Leafeon
  • Leavanny
  • Ledian
  • Lickilicky
  • Liepard
  • Lilligant
  • Linoone
  • Lopunny
  • Lucario
  • Ludicolo
  • Lumineon
  • Luxray
M
  • Machamp
  • Magcargo
  • Magmortar
  • Magnezone
  • Malamar
  • Mamoswine
  • Mandibuzz
  • Manectric
  • Mantine
  • Marilyn's Delphox
  • Marowak
  • Masquerain
  • Medicham
  • Meganium
  • Meowstic
  • Metagross
  • Mienshao
  • Mightyena
  • Millis' Chesnaught
  • Milotic
  • Mismagius
  • Mothim
  • Mr. Mime
  • Muk
  • Musharna
N
  • Nidoking
  • Nidoqueen
  • Nihei's Venusaur
  • Ninetales
  • Ninjask
  • Noctowl
  • Noivern
O
  • Octillery
  • Omastar
P
  • Pangoro
  • Parasect
  • Pelipper
  • Persian
  • Pidgeot
  • Politoed
  • Poliwrath
  • Porygon-Z
  • Primeape
  • Probopass
  • Purugly
  • Pyroar
Q
  • Quagsire
R
  • Raichu
  • Rampardos
  • Rapidash
  • Raticate
R
  • Reuniclus
  • Rhyperior
  • Roserade
S
  • Salamence
  • Samurott
  • Sandslash
  • Sawsbuck
  • Sceptile
  • Scizor
  • Scolipede
  • Scrafty
  • Seaking
  • Seismitoad
  • Serperior
  • Sharpedo
  • Shedinja
  • Shiftry
  • Simipour
  • Simisage
  • Simisear
  • Skuntank
  • Slaking
  • Slowbro
  • Slowking
S cont.
  • Snorlax
  • Staraptor
  • Starmie
  • Steelix
  • Stoutland
  • Sudowoodo
  • Sunflora
  • Swalot
  • Swampert
  • Swanna
  • Swellow
  • Swoobat
  • Sylveon
T
  • Talonflame
  • Tangrowth
  • Tentacruel
  • Togekiss
  • Torterra
  • Toxicroak
  • Trevenant
  • Typhlosion
  • Tyranitar
  • Tyrantrum
U
  • Umbreon
  • Unfezant
  • Ursaring
V
  • Vanilluxe
  • Vaporeon
  • Venomoth
  • Venusaur
  • Vespiquen
  • Victreebel
  • Vileplume
  • Vivillon
  • Volcarona
W
  • Wailord
  • Walrein
  • Watchog
  • Weavile
  • Weezing
  • Whimsicott
  • Whiscash
  • Wigglytuff
  • Wobbuffet
  • Wormadam
X
  • Xatu
Y
  • Yanmega
Z
  • Zebstrika
  • Zoroark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)