XY RU RU nuts and other OU'd puns

Hello! I wanted to get into RU since I've heard its the only good tier left (Not my words, just a friend's). This is my first RU team, so expect it to be bad. Basically I wanted to build a team using Clawitzer since its one of my favorite Pokemon of Gen 6. The basic goal of this team is to weaken the opponents team with Clawitzer, Delphox and Shiftry core and then come in and clean up with Tyrantrum. So, umm, thanks for reading! :D

"he'll help you when you're in a pinch"
Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA/ 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Clawitzer is mostly here as a bulky sweeper. Its not very fast compared to most things so I decided to throw an Assault Vest on it and take a bulky approach. Water Pulse is the obvious STAB, and Ice Beam/ Aura Sphere provide decent coverage. I sacked Dark Pulse for U-turn since I already have Shiftry for STAB Dark type attacks and it allows me to use Clawitzer as a scouting lead, since it pressures out a lot of the common leads I've encountered.

"come here son and let me tell u a tail"
Fox (Delphox) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

I decided to use Delphox as my Fire type in the core because it's fast, which is what most of the team isn't. I decided to go for Psychic over Psyshock because of this one battle where this guy's Weezing lived a Psyshock and cost me the game, but otherwise I might switch it if needed. Switheroo cripples Stall, set up sweepers, etc.

"ill slap you with all tree of my leaf fingers"
Shift (Shiftry) @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb

Since this team lacks of Defogger or Rapid Spinner, Shiftry was my first choice to complete the Grass/Water/Fire core. Knock Off and Seed Bomb are for STAB. Sucker Punch makes up for his low speed. The problem I've had with it is its 4x Bug weakness, since for some reason random people on the ladder run Bug moves on various pokemon (Signal Beam Magneton? Is that a thing?).

"like my aroma...tisse?"
Smell (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Aromatisse is my cleric pokemon, doing what the average Aromatisse does. Moonblast is its only offensive move, which it rarely uses. Mostly I use it to pass Wishes to other Pokemon that have been warn down as well as removing Paralysis and Burns from other pokemon.

"i'm attracted to u like a magnet"
Magnet (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Steel types and Fairy types are probably the 2 most annoying things for Tyrantrum (besides special attackers in general). Even though Earthquake can cover most Steel types, it still fails to KO them most of them, especially those who are neutral to it like Escavalier. Magneton's job is to get rid of those pesky fairies as well as steel types, or at least weaken them so Tyrantrum can come in and sweep. I've been debating on Hidden Power Fire over Grass, and in the end I decided to keep grass so it can hit Rhyperior harder.

"i'm gonna rock your world"
Tyrant (Tyrantrum) @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

The sort of MVP of this team, Tyrantrum comes in once I know he can Dragon Dance and sweep at least most of the opponent's team. If only Rock Head was released, it would be a true monster, but for now we're stuck with the good ol' Strong Jaw ability that this set doesn't even use. It makes use of the EdgeQuake coverage, using Dragon Claw only when the opponent resists both EQ and SE or he needs a 100% accurate move to finish the opponent.

Ty for reading!

Hey Caleb McIntosh. It looks like a cool team you got here but theres a bunch of sets that need to be optimized.

First of all, clawitzer isn't the greatest user of Assault Vest, as it would really love the power from LO or Specs. Slowking also outclasses it as an AV user. In the case of your team I would run Life Orb because the nice ppwer boost and being able to switch moves to take advantage of your nice coverage. Scald is more optimal than water pulse - the power difference isnt very noticible while you have a nifty chance to burn. U-turn should be replaced by Dark Pulse. Dark Pulse is nice to hit psychics. Lastly, running 252 Speed on clawitzer allows it to outspeed some defensive mons you wouldn't otherwise, such as cresselia, 0 spe golbat, gligar, and weezing.

Run Blaze as Magician is a really flawed ability, while you can have a nice buff to fire blast when low.

Shiftry is frail - run 252 Speed to outspeed up to neutral natured 252 spe base 80s.

Run Choice Specs Analytic on Magneton with max speed and modest. Magnet pull would be nice if mosg steels couldnt beat magneton, but sadly escav has drill run, cobalion outspeeds and close combats, registeel walls you anyway, durant outspeeds and superpowers, and bronzong eqs. Analytic punishes switch ins and faster mons by giving a nice power boost.

Tyrantrum doesnt need dragon stab, as it already has rock stab and only hits druddigon and opposing tyrantrum harder. Ice Fang is preferable over dragon claw. It still hits druddigon, while nailing some grass types such as virizion.

I might post another part if i think you need some different mons, but these are just set changes.

Edit: get ninjad imo

Last edited:
Hey Caleb McIntosh, your team looks pretty solid right now and it doesn't really have much trouble with any important threats. However, there are a few things you could change, particularly about some of your sets.

First, you should really have a Stealth Rock user on just about every team, especially in RU with threats like Moltres and Fletchinder running around the tier. The only Pokemon on your team as it is right now that learns Stealth Rock is Tyrantrum, which it doesn't really have room for on its current set. I would personally replace Magneton with Cobalion. You say that Magneton is used to trap Steel-types, but the Pokemon that give Tyrantrum the most trouble either aren't Steel-types (Alomomola), or are but are immune to trapping (Doublade). For these reasons, I feel like Magneton is the most replaceable member of your team. While Cobalion doesn't check as many threats as Magneton does, it still works in its place due to its Steel typing. While none of RU's Stealth Rock users are great fits on your current team, going without the move is far from ideal and Cobalion fits rather decently on your team as it is right now. Giving up Magneton does leave your team with a bit of trouble breaking through Alomomola, some of the other changes that I will suggest will help out with that.

Assault Vest is a pretty mediocre item on Clawitzer because it isn't really that bulky to begin with, and not using a boosting item on it detracts from its main purpose, which is wallbreaking. For these reasons, I would recommend switching to Life Orb or Choice Specs (it's a matter of preference on which of the two is better, though I would personally go with Specs as Specs Clawitzer is ridiculously hard to switch into). Also, while Clawitzer isn't that fast, it should really be running 252 Speed EVs in order to be able to outspeed some of the defensive Pokemon it's supposed to beat. Additionally, Scald is usually better than Water Pulse on it as 10 less base power isn't usually enough to make a difference, while the chance to cripple your opponent's main switch-ins to Clawitzer for the rest of the match with a burn is incredibly useful.

At the moment, your Shiftry spread isn't all that optimal. First, while Shiftry isn't the fastest Pokemon in the world, Speed investment on it is much more useful than HP investment since it's so frail already, so 252 Speed EVs would be more useful. Similarly, Leftovers aren't really going to be helping Shiftry out all that much, while Life Orb gives it a much needed power boost. Also, using Leaf Storm over Seed Bomb with a Lonely nature would be a good idea because Shiftry is very potent as a mixed attacker in RU, and this would enable it to have a much easier time with physical walls such as Alomomola, Rhyperior, and Gligar, all of which (especially Alomomola) are Pokemon that your team has a bit of trouble breaking through currently.

As for Tyrantrum, I advise that you run Ice Fang instead of Dragon Claw. Ice Fang lets you beat the Gligar instead of being hard walled by it, as well as having an easier time breaking through Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangrowth. You already have Stone Edge for a strong STAB move, and Dragon Claw doesn't really get any relevant coverage, so you won't be missing much by dropping it.

Anyway, most of these changes are rather minor (though they would still help out quite a bit), your team is pretty solid as it is. Good luck with the team and have fun playing RU!

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch / Taunt

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- U-turn / Dark Pulse

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with Magnemite's tip to replace Magneton (lol kind of ironic). Also would it be worth replacing Early Bird with Chlorophyll on Shiftry? I can't really think of a reason to use either, since its immune to most sleep moves and Ninetales isn't legal, but Early Bird seems most useful.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with Magnemite's tip to replace Magneton (lol kind of ironic). Also would it be worth replacing Early Bird with Chlorophyll on Shiftry? I can't really think of a reason to use either, since its immune to most sleep moves and Ninetales isn't legal, but Early Bird seems most useful.
Yeah, neither of Shiftry's abilities are useful at all. However, while Chlorophyll will pretty much never be useful unless sun teams somehow get popular, Early Bird could theoretically be useful if you got put to sleep by a Meloetta's Relic Song or random Hypnosis mons on the ladder, so I would stick with that. It's very unlikely that it will ever make a difference though.

HI Caleb McIntosh

Alright so the people above me covered your team pretty well, but I'm gonna reiterate and suggest a few new things.

First, always use Scald > Water Pulse. You might think, "BUT PULSE GETS THE POWER BOOST"! That certainly is true, but the damage difference is minimal and the burn chance from Scald is much more useful. And uh Psyshock should always be used > Psychic because of it's ability to hit Aromatisse and other dedicated special walls. However, if you're really having trouble with Weezing, stick with Psychic.

Another suggestion that Magnemite said was to go LO > Lefties and Leaf Storm > Seed Bomb. This is another thing I support as Shiftry really has no use for Leftovers and would very much appreciate the extra oomph that Life Orb supplies. Leaf Storm also allows Shiftry to become a power mixed attacker and can deal with Alomomola easily, if ever needed. Leaf Storm also does more than Seed Bomb iirc.

Your team also doesn't have any sort of Entry Hazards which is kinda bad as every team needs some sort of chip damage. Magneton is definitely the most replaceable member of your team, and I suggest Registeel. While that MAY seem strange, Registeel is a great tank and great Stealth Rocker and fits on your team. It provides good Thunder Wave support which allows Tyranitrum to clean up later in the game and gives you a strong Fairy resist.

Hope I helped!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I like the idea of Registeel. Do you have a set you recommend?
Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Protect

This is the set you'll usually be using/seeing used on Registeel. Registeel's amazing all around bulk and mono Steel-typing let it tank all kinds of hits with extreme ease, making setting up Stealth Rock (multiple times if needed) a complete non issue as long as you don't play too sloppy. Seismic Toss is used since both of Registeel's offensive stats are pretty low, making a way of dealing fixed damage pretty much a need to ensure Registeel is set up bait for as little as possible. Toxic and Thunder Wave also help in this regard, letting Registeel stall out bulkier Pokemon/Pokemon with recovery more easily, and crippling things such as Hitmonlee that might switch into Registeel, repectively (it should also be noted that Registeel can take pretty much anything that isnt a STAB super effective move from full HP with this set, making clutch Thunder Waves a definite possibility). Lastly, Protect lets Registeel stall out turns with Toxic, scout choiced Pokemon, and rack up as much Leftovers recovery as possible, just don't get too predictable with it!

Something else nice to note is that this Registeel pairs pretty well with the Aromatisse you already have on your team, Aromatisse has no problem stomaching Fighting-type attacks such as Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick for Registeel, and provides both Wish and Aromatherapy support to help keep Registeel alive through the game, just a nice bonus!

Anyways, if you decide to try Registeel, just make sure you feel safe around Doublade if you do so, since Registeel is pretty much absolute set up bait for the thing, Shiftry and Clawitzer with Aromatisse's Wish support *should* probably be enough to keep it in check though.

So atm this is the team. I've been battling with it (so close to 500th place lol) and have never used Iron Head so I most likely will replace it, there's been several battles where I really wish I had protect. I also swapped the Life Orb on Tyrantrum for a Lum berry since I noticed the team seemed to easily be worn down with Life Orb recoil. Do u think these changes are necessary?

Regiwaltz (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head (Protect?)

Ichiya (Aromatisse) (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Sablastion (Clawitzer) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Tyrant (Tyrantrum) (F) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Shift (Shiftry) (M) @ Life Orb
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Bellatrix (Delphox) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So atm this is the team. I've been battling with it (so close to 500th place lol) and have never used Iron Head so I most likely will replace it, there's been several battles where I really wish I had protect. I also swapped the Life Orb on Tyrantrum for a Lum berry since I noticed the team seemed to easily be worn down with Life Orb recoil. Do u think these changes are necessary?

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head (Protect?)

Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo
Protect's great on Registeel for the reasons i mentioned in my above post (scouts out choiced users, racks up Leftovers recovery, etc), i'd definitely give it a try if you're not using Iron Head too often. Just don't get too predictable with using Protect every other turn since that can get a bit predictable.

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head (Protect?)

Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Modest Nature
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo
This is relatively minor, but you should definitely be running Blaze over Magician on your Delphox, since the only way Magician could possibly come in handy is if you get Knocked Off, which will almost never matter since Delphox won't really be surviving any Knock Offs any time soon (and even if it does, the chances you'll get a good item in return and be able to make good use of it are very low), while Blaze provides a significant power boost to your main STAB if you get low enough on health.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)