The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I do too, but he weighs like 90 lbs and plays in the AFC North. Haloti Ngata would literally smush him :(

Breaking news! St. Louis' reserve defensive end sacked Cleveland's rookie quarterback tonight in a preseason game! Full story on SportsCenter tomorrow.

Michael Sam has impressed me this preseason. If he can make the final 53 on that defensive line, he'd have earned it.

Breaking news! St. Louis' reserve defensive end sacked Cleveland's rookie quarterback tonight in a preseason game! Full story on SportsCenter tomorrow.

Michael Sam has impressed me this preseason. If he can make the final 53 on that defensive line, he'd have earned it.
If the Rams cut Michael Sam, I would imagine he would be signed pretty quickly. He's got pretty much everything you want as a situational pass rusher. He may not ever be a huge star, but he'll be a very good piece in somebody's d-line rotation.

Speaking of the Rams, Sam Bradford is out for the year, tearing the same knee as last year. Terrible news for the Rams.

I don't like Bradford so this is probably me being biased but this will be a 2 win difference at best. Instead of 7-9 they might go 5-11 instead. Bradford is terrible anyway.

The Rams would try to get any QB not named Tebow.
I actually miss Tebow. It would be the distraction needed to help fight manziel hype. 2011 Tebow vs 2012 RG3 vs 2014 Manziel hype. Mmm Tebow sucked and Manziel is an all pro douche so I'll go with 2012 Griffin as the least annoying. He may be a mediocre passing qb but at least his running abilities are on another level and hes fun to root for.

It says 1:20 on my screen.

Not sure why you're happy. Nobody wins here. Worse is I as a fan lose. Letting a guy of his caliber miss a season should be a sin. You do not suspend great players like that. It hurtstthe game too damn much taking away a player who is a walking highlight reel. The worst you should do is give him a big ass fine. Then only he loses.

As a gordon fan SINCE his rookie year, this makes me sick.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It says 1:20 on my screen.

Not sure why you're happy. Nobody wins here. Worse is I as a fan lose. Letting a guy of his caliber miss a season should be a sin. You do not suspend great players like that. It hurtstthe game too damn much taking away a player who is a walking highlight reel. The worst you should do is give him a big ass fine. Then only he loses.

As a gordon fan SINCE his rookie year, this makes me sick.
I'm sure I don't have to itemize the number of cases where it's been proven fines just don't work. Suspending players is the only way to seriously get the message through to them, and in Gordon's case he was ALREADY suspended last year for the SAME THING and apparently didn't learn from it. Just because a player is a "walking highlight reel" does not mean we should be lenient with them or hold them to a different standard. If players can't follow the rules, they need to be punished for violating them. Period. No matter how important/unimportant they are. The very concept of double standards in a case like this makes me sick. Gordon deserves the suspension he got, and we as fans are not losing out.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sure I don't have to itemize the number of cases where it's been proven fines just don't work. Suspending players is the only way to seriously get the message through to them, and in Gordon's case he was ALREADY suspended last year for the SAME THING and apparently didn't learn from it. Just because a player is a "walking highlight reel" does not mean we should be lenient with them or hold them to a different standard. If players can't follow the rules, they need to be punished for violating them. Period. No matter how important/unimportant they are. The very concept of double standards in a case like this makes me sick. Gordon deserves the suspension he got, and we as fans are not losing out.
Maybe if the nfl actually showed any signs of caring (e.g make it mandatory that when suspended for multiple drug offenses attend rehab etc) people would be more positive about it. Also maybe the fact that its just pot and who the fuck cares if you smoke pot. There's a reason its fucking legal in 2 states already, and likely more soon.

Just Gonna post my Division/awards predictions here

AFC Division Winners

East: Patriots duh
North:Bengals
South:Colts
West:Broncos

Wildcards: Chargers, Steelers

NFC Division Winners

East: Eagles
North:Packers
South: Saints
West: Seahawks

Wildcards: Bears, Panthers

MVP: Drew Brees
OPOY:Tony Romo
DPOY:Revis
CPOY:Gronkowski
OROTY:Kelvin Benjamin
DROTY:Clowney

Last edited:
You know what is worse than not getting paid and doing nothing? Not getting paid and getting blasted playing football. Which is what fines do. Just make them bigger. And yes we are losing. Josh Gordon is an amazing player who can drop 1500 yds easily, exactly how many of those are there out there? like 5 maybe 6... we shouldn't take his skills for granted.

Just Gonna post my Division/awards predictions here

AFC Division Winners

East: Patriots duh
North:Bengals
South:Colts
West:Broncos

Wildcards: Chargers, Steelers

NFC Division Winners

East: Eagles
North:Packers
South: Saints
West: Seahawks

Wildcards: Bears, Panthers

MVP: Drew Brees
OPOY:Tony Romo
DPOY:Revis
CPOY:Gronkowski
OROTY:Kelvin Benjamin
DROTY:Clowney
Too many teams are back to the playoffs, while I expect the AFC to stay pretty much the same(except the Chargers, Chiefs not making it back) the NFC will see drastic change. The Panthers, Eagles, Packers and 49ers are all in trouble of not making it back. The Eagles and Panthers suck and I expect 6-10 from both of them. Your post did get some legitimacy with Romo as the OPOY though.

Last edited:
You know what is worse than not getting paid and doing nothing? Not getting paid and getting blasted playing football. Which is what fines do. Just make them bigger. And yes we are losing. Josh Gordon is an amazing player who can drop 1500 yds easily, exactly how many of those are there out there? like 5 maybe 6... we shouldn't take his skills for granted.

Too many teams are back to the playoffs, while I expect the AFC to stay pretty much the same(except the Chargers, Chiefs not making it back) the NFC will see drastic change. The Panthers, Eagles, Packers and 49ers are all in trouble of not making it back. The Eagles and Panthers suck and I expect 6-10 from both of them. Your post did get some legitimacy with Romo as the OPOY though.
Unless Aaron Rodgers gets sucked into another dimension, the Packers are winning the North and making the playoffs

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Playoff Predictions!

AFC North - Steelers: 11-5

Easily the most difficult division to predict.

I think that the Bengals are in for a real slide this year. I think Andy Dalton has been grossly over performing in the regular season and is set for a fall back down to earth. The Offense is technically better, fortifying the line and committing to putting the ball into Bernard's hands more, but I think Andy Dalton will make the offense on the whole worse by having a drastic reduction in production. Other losses include DE Michael Johnson, who has no suitable replacement (Gilberry has no talent, Hunt is a 2nd year player who failed to impress in his rookie year, and Clarke is a 3rd round rookie who doesn't seem to be much more than "competent starter"), and James Harrison will make a previously scary defense look much more tame.

Steelers on the other hand look really good. Le'Veon Bell and Blount are going to avoid punishment on their DUI charge for at least a year while it goes through the court system, so don't anticipate them missing even a single game until next season. Le'Veon Bell is a stud and had he not missed the first four games of the season last year he was statistically better than Eddie Lacy. The loss of Emmanuel Sanders is a huge blow, but Heyward is good and they grabbed Martavis Bryant who is like raw talent waiting to be molded into a top receiver.

They also have a damn easy schedule with only 4 playoff teams from last year on the slate, of those being expected declines Kansas City and Carolina (excluding the Bengals obviously)

AFC East - Patriots - 12-4

The 2014 Patriots are going to be even better than the 2013 Patriots who walked away with the division. This is a no brainer pick. The next most talented roster is probably the Bills, but come on... they're the fucking Bills. It'll take a miracle for the Patriots to not walk away from this season with 12+ wins, another bye, and an easy road to ANOTHER AFC Championship game.

AFC South - Colts - 9-7

Good god this division is terrible and the Colts simply win it by default of being the least terrible. The Colts aren't that great and IMO they're going to wear Andrew Luck out with his billion sacks because once again they failed to address the O-line AT ALL. I would never hope for an injury but I would be surprised if Andrew Luck got through all 16 games. The Houston defense will be stout, but no team will ever be brought to the playoffs by Ryan Fitzmagic, and Arian Foster is a huge injury liability. Jaguars finally look to be on the upswing, getting what looks to be their first real quarterback in... ever? Unfortunately they're at least a year removed from the rest of the roster becoming strong enough to be a real contender. The Titans are like the 20th best team in the league with Jake Locker in, and when he inevitably gets piledrived into another injury, they will be the worst team in the league by far.

AFC West - Broncos - 12-4

The Broncos are mortgaging not only their own future but the future of a few of their neighbors too on Peyton's last couple of years. Their schedule is more daunting this season, having to play the entirety of the NFC West, but they should still be good for easily 12+ games and, you guessed it, another visit with the Patriots in the AFC Title game. The Chargers are the next biggest threat as the Chiefs are unlikely to overperform again and suffered a couple of losses. In last will be Oakland who will put Schaub in the game week 1, be laughed into oblivion and finally put McGloin or Carr in week 2 and win a few games with competent QB play. Like Jacksonville, they seem to have found a real QB in Carr but the rest of their roster is too meh to make much noise.

WildCard 1: Bengals - 10-6

Still a really talented roster even if I think they will lose out to the Steelers in the division race.

WildCard 2: Chargers - 10-6

Have only gotten better during the offseason. In the AFC South or AFC North they'd be division contenders, but ain't no one taking out the broncos in the West.

============================

NFC North - Packers - 13-3

Homerism pick! But seriously this division is so stacked. Packers fortified their O-line some and Bulaga is back from his ACL tear, so Rodgers won't be as likely to get sacked, and the defense is likely to get better too with Clay Matthews being healthy (and Raji being injured... that position could use new blood cause Raji is overrated). The Bears and the Lions are real threats though and are just as ridiculous in the NFC North offensive arms race. The Vikings are not a bad team per-say, they are just in the same boat as the Cardinals / Rams in that they are in a wickedly tough division and are clearly not the best in said division.

NFC East - Eagles - 10-6

The Cowboys and the Giants got worse over the offseason. The Eagles and Redskins got better. I still think that the Eagles will win this division despite losing D Jax because Foles / McCoy are studs, but I don't think the Redskins are that far off, given that they will have a fully healthy RGIII and have a really potent offense. Neither of the defenses are all that notable, so I think that this division comes down to who has the better offense which IMO is the Eagles.

NFC South - Saints - 14-2

Goddamn the saints look scary. Probably the 3rd best offense in the league (Behind the Broncos and Packers), and a seriously underrated defense, I think that with their decently easy schedule they should EASILY be able to walk away with the #1 seed in the NFC (Only the NFC North games should be all that difficult for them as I think they outclass the entirety of the AFC North and they were 2nd in division which means easy pickings on teams like the Cowboys). The Falcons are like "Saints Light", having a good, but worse than Saints offense, and a decent but worse than Saints defense. The Bucs suffered a lot of losses during the offseason and really squandered the 3 years where they had a super good / young roster because now they have to actually pay their players. The Panthers are paying for previous management's terrible payment decisions and are in for a serious decline on both sides of the ball.

NFC West - Seattle - 13-3

The Hawks didn't lose much of anything on either side of the ball and are going to still be really good. I have them as the 3 seed if only because their schedule is REALLY daunting. They obviously play in the NFC West which is going to account for at least like a 4-2 record, and they play the Packers / Broncos / Eagles. I expect them to go 2-1 in this slate of games, losing the tie breaker with Green Bay. But I could easily see them going 1-2. The niners are on the decline and I personally don't think they'll make the playoffs this year. I think the Cardinals are a better team on the whole, even though Carson Palmer is going to throw infinity interceptions, the defense will be there to bail them out with a cakewalk schedule the Cards have (beyond the NFC West games the only real threats they play are the Eagles / Broncos). The Rams are the worst football team in the best division in football and not only that but they lost Sam Bradford AGAIN, so they have no chance whatsoever.

Wild Card 1 - Cardinals - 11-5

I think they have an easier schedule than the Niners and are equal to if not better than that team.

Wild Card 2 - Bears / Lions - 10-6

It's really hard for me to determine which of these teams will be the other wildcard. Both of them are really good candidates and I wouldn't even be surprised if one of them ousted the Cardinals for the spot and both teams made it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)