Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Discharge

Enough speed to outrun most Rhyperior and Doublade, and almost all base 30s. Rest is dumped to maximize defensive bulk. Stunfisk is surprisingly good in this meta as an anti lead SR setter. It threatens most U-turn/Volt Switch leads (Moltres, Braviary, Jolteon, Ambipom, Magneton, Cobalion) with GDLK coverage, and does well against Doublade, Durant, Golbat, and Drapion. Static is useful: if your opponent contacts Stunfisk, and Stunfisk uses Scald or Discharge, there's a 51% chance they get statused. Switch in on a Cinccino Tail Slap, and it's almost guaranteed to get paralyzed. Stunfisk gets way more ridicule than it deserves. If it looked cool it would have wayyy more usage (see Tyrantrum).

Cottonee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 69
EVs: 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Nature Power
- Grass Whistle
- Encore

The FEAR set no one knows about (most people don't know about the priority Nature Power), and the best one in RU imo. This (and Stunfisk) started out as a joke, but that joke started to work pretty damn well. If the opposing Pokemon doesn't attack when you use Endeavor, you can follow up with Encore, and Grass Whistle is useful for Ghosts and when you're already at 1 HP. 0 IVs and EVs to make sure everything brings you down to Sash, max SpA to make Nature Power strong enough to kill stuff even after Lefties. Level 69 for maximum basedness. Also, it makes sure that Cottonee is frail as hell and slower than everything.

Last edited:
YA BOIS STUNFISK AND COTTONEE ARE IN THE PLATINUM HALL OF FAME
Pokemon Showdown! Username: xFlygonMaster2003x
Dark Horse Pokemon: Cottonee & Stunfisk
Screenshot of Top 50 Ladder Ranking:

Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Discharge

Enough speed to outrun most Rhyperior and Doublade, and almost all base 30s. Rest is dumped to maximize defensive bulk. Stunfisk is surprisingly good in this meta as an anti lead SR setter. It threatens most U-turn/Volt Switch leads (Moltres, Braviary, Jolteon, Ambipom, Magneton, Cobalion) with GDLK coverage, and does well against Doublade, Durant, Golbat, and Drapion. Static is useful: if your opponent contacts Stunfisk, and Stunfisk uses Scald or Discharge, there's a 51% chance they get statused. Switch in on a Cinccino Tail Slap, and it's almost guaranteed to get paralyzed. Stunfisk gets way more ridicule than it deserves. If it looked cool it would have wayyy more usage (see Tyrantrum).

Cottonee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 69
EVs: 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Endeavor
- Nature Power
- Grass Whistle
- Encore

The FEAR set no one knows about (most people don't know about the priority Nature Power), and the best one in RU imo. This (and Stunfisk) started out as a joke, but that joke started to work pretty damn well. If the opposing Pokemon doesn't attack when you use Endeavor, you can follow up with Encore, and Grass Whistle is useful for Ghosts and when you're already at 1 HP. 0 IVs and EVs to make sure everything brings you down to Sash, max SpA to make Nature Power strong enough to kill stuff even after Lefties. Level 69 for maximum basedness. Also, it makes sure that Cottonee is frail as hell and slower than everything.
isn't he not accepting hall of fame stuff until after the 28th

I too would like to change my pokemon:

Username: Centauralt
Hall Of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently working with: Grotle

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: You've changed
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently working with: Dragalge

Buskenpass is boring, changing my mon

Username: aids ladder was stupid and laddered without poli, new alt is: wrath of polly
Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Poliwrath

Last edited:
Damn you Llamas makin me look like a copycat

Username: DragLuv
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Dragalge

I wish I would have known about this when I built my Kricketune team. I'll ladder again I guess. Arikado didn't want me to win imo.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Rainbow Terrakion Be a Smart Player / R Terrakion U / Dark Horse Terra
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Kricketune

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: GiveMeFlamingRed
Dark Horse Pokemon: SAWK
Screenshot of Top 50 Ladder Ranking:

Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Knock Off

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 148 Def
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Rock Blast

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Bronze Rank SILVER RANK for now. Got haxed a lot on my way up.

2 replays showing how cool Sawk is

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-157097908

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-156418865

tagging Blizzard [[:

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
#29 user: Genya
(silver rank)

proof:

Kricketune @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Questions:

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project?
I wasn't sure of what to pick, so I asked on irc and people suggested me a few things, and among them was Kricketune. I previously heard from good battlers in RU that Kricketune was the best Sticky Web user, better than what people assumed is the next best thing when it comes to setting up Sticky Web after Shuckle left, which is Leavany. I thought it was interesting and I wanted to try it out myself, especially because it had things like Taunt, Knock Off, and Endeavor, along with Sticky Web of course.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon?
With previous knowledge from the Shuckle metagame, it was known that Doublade and Hitmonlee were two of the best teammates to go with Sticky Web, because of Doublade's ability to spinblock almost all spinners bar Claydol (hue) and Sandslash, preventing Sticky Web from being removed. Hitmonlee is a pretty good spinner and hits ridiculously hard with Reckless High Jump Kick, and it appreciated Sticky Web, so it's a given. Other teammates I chose are Exploud, Druddigon, and Jolteon. The former two are wallbreakers that benefit from Sticky Web a lot, while Jolteon is a fail-safe option for when if my sticky webs are removed, then I would still have 1 fast sweeper left that doesn't rely entirely on Sticky Web. Druddigon also provided Stealth Rock occasionally, which is never bad. Jolteon also benefited from Sticky Web somewhat in the fact that it negates Choice Scarf boosts on grounded Pokemon such as Delphox. Furthermore, it's STAB Electric attacks are good to have against Pokemon like Moltres and Braviary, who are threatening to Sticky Web because they're immune to it.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why?
It wasn't difficult at all. To be completely honest, I went against a lot of people who didn't know what Kricketune does and underestimated it. The fact that Omastar spikes stacking offense has been so popular also helps, because Kricketune completely shuts down Omastar thanks to its access to Taunt, and Sticky Web makes Omastar Spikes Stacking offense almost unable to function, which leads to a pretty much guaranteed win. Kricketune is that good against Omastar Offense. Now of course, that doesn't mean all matchups against those kinds of teams are auto-win, because the opponent could lead with something that can stop Kricketune, but if they lead with Omastar then it's a very good matchup for me. People also often lead with things like Druddigon and Bronzong, which are also shut down and set up on by Kricketune. Additionally, Endeavor really helps wear those Pokemon down thanks to Kricketune's Focus Sash + Taunt, and it can almost bring down any Pokemon to either a very low amount of HP or outright 1 HP if Sash is activated.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame?
As I said, it was kind of easy. I would ladder more but I'm not that kind of person that ladders a lot. I would reach a certain point and then be satisfied. I only play a handful of matches each time I feel like laddering. That won't stop me though, I'll probably continue laddering and I might get all medals eventually. Moving on to the Dark Horse Pokemon, my team really benefited from having it because it was built around it; my dark horse Pokemon defines a playstyle and also my entire team, so it was easy to build around it and also play with it. I would advise other players to do the same too, and build around their Dark Horse Pokemon. If that's not possible, then build around another Pokemon or another idea and have your Dark Horse Pokemon support that. For example, building a Rain team with Uxie as a Rain setter.

What was the most challenging aspect of this project?
I don't think there was any challenging aspect from playing with my Dark Horse. Perhaps the most challenging was hax on the ladder, but that will always happen regardless of what you're using! One issue I suffered from was Gligar though. Gligar is the bulkiest Defog user in the tier, and it's kind of a challenge every time to get rid of it without allowing it to Defog away my Sticky Web, and I have to rely on plays, predicting, and double switches to do this.

Last edited:
ya boy just got bronze rank and will probably go higher if i care enough

bouffalant is a based lord and i will talk about him later

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats to everyone who's received any kind of HoF-worthy ranking, I'm excited to see what other Pokemon we can get to these spots!

I'm leaving for a trip to Boston for a few days and I might not be able to get to all of these recorded right now depending on my schedule and wifi availability. I'll try my best to get these done as soon as possible (hopefully on the 12-hour bus ride if there's wi-fi on board), but if not, rest assured they'll be updated on monday :)

Well before you leave I'd like to change my submission
Username: National Archeops
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently working with: Sandslash

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Showdown! Username: GRITO DA PANTERA
Hall of Fame Standing: Working on it
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Chatot

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So...my Pokemon, Sandlash, is no longer 2%. Can I keep it, or do I have to switch?
  • Every month, the usage stats will be updated. If your Pokemon has risen in usage above 2% in the new month's stats, you may continue laddering with them regardless. However, NEW Dark Horse Pokemon must be picked with the current month's usage stats.
you should be fine Leer :)

also tagging Bouffalant because he forgot to edit his post w/ bouff to prove bronze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)