Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Has anyone bred/trained a Hitmontop before?

I'm looking at creating an Adamant one now and just ... how do I do that, as far as EV training while making sure his stats are equal prior to level 20? The Adamant nature is going to push him toward Hitmonlee, which means as far as I know even just leaving him in the daycare isn't an option, right?
EVs are applied as soon as the pokemon gets them now, so you can just EV train it at level 19 until the stats are equal, save the game, evolve it, and if it's the right one, finish the EVs

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone bred/trained a Hitmontop before?

I'm looking at creating an Adamant one now and just ... how do I do that, as far as EV training while making sure his stats are equal prior to level 20? The Adamant nature is going to push him toward Hitmonlee, which means as far as I know even just leaving him in the daycare isn't an option, right?
I did this the other day actually and it was really easy. Tyrogue needs 40 Def and 0 Atk EVs with an Adamant nature at level 20 to have Atk and Def equal. I was just ripping the EV spread off Hitmontop's doubles analysis we have in the prelim dex (252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD) so I trained HP first against the Foongus in Pokemon Village. After I had maxed out HP my Tyrogue was still in the mid teens, I equipped the Power Belt (4 Def EVs per 'mon = 40 Def EVs gained), beat another Horde of Foongus, took off the belt, kept beating Foongus hordes (won't mess up the EV spread coz HP is already maxed) until he was level 20 and boom, Hitmontop. Even easier, just give him 4 Irons instead...

Just don't do what I did several times, make sure you have the egg and pre-evo moves on Tyrogue before evolving!! Or save often lol

Good team mates for a Physical all-out attacker LO blaziken? It's moveset is HJK, Flare Blitz, Protect and Shadow claw.

Last edited:
One more question I haven't been a ble to find a firm answer to:

What happens when you use Encore on a sleeping Pokemon? Will they be locked into the move they chose that turn (and slept through), or the move they last executed while awake?

Ex.: Talonflame and Smeargle are out.

Turn one: Foe Manectric protects. Smeargle protects. Talonflame sets up Tail Wind.

Turn two: Manecrtic gets Dark Voided. Manectric sleeps through its attack.

Turn three: Smeargle uses Encore.

What attack is Manectric locked into? Protect, or the one it tried to use during its sleeping turn? Or will Encore just fail?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good team mates for a Physical all-out attacker LO blaziken? It's moveset is HJK, Flare Blitz, Protect and Shadow claw.
Well from just looking at the PGL website, the top 10 Pokemon used on the same team as Blaziken are: Zapdos, Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Kangaskhan, Rotom-W, Gengar, Azumarill, Aegislash, Gyarados and Tyranitar...

Blaziken has trouble with Talonflame as priority Brave Bird will ignore your speed boosts and quickly KO you, so a flying resist is important (Zapdos, Rotom and Tyranitar), Azumarill can also use Aqua Jet to do the same thing (why Ferrothorn is there, watch out for Superpower though). Normally Blaziken would be great for taking out Kangaskhan with it's fighting STAB, however a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch can take out Blaziken if it has less than 80% health to begin with (another reason to use Ferrothorn, also Zapdos, Gengar and Aegislash). With your move set you also cannot hurt non-mega Gyarados (Zapdos again comes to mind), and Landorus will be a pain so bring something for that...

Well from just looking at the PGL website, the top 10 Pokemon used on the same team as Blaziken are: Zapdos, Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Kangaskhan, Rotom-W, Gengar, Azumarill, Aegislash, Gyarados and Tyranitar...

Blaziken has trouble with Talonflame as priority Brave Bird will ignore your speed boosts and quickly KO you, so a flying resist is important (Zapdos, Rotom and Tyranitar), Azumarill can also use Aqua Jet to do the same thing (why Ferrothorn is there, watch out for Superpower though). Normally Blaziken would be great for taking out Kangaskhan with it's fighting STAB, however a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch can take out Blaziken if it has less than 80% health to begin with (another reason to use Ferrothorn, also Zapdos, Gengar and Aegislash). With your move set you also cannot hurt non-mega Gyarados (Zapdos again comes to mind), and Landorus will be a pain so bring something for that...
I appreciate this post! It was very well detailed. Thank you!
Since I'm not sure how the heck I'm going to get a 5IV Zapdos of choice, I guess Rotom or ferrothorn would be my pokemon of choice, but I'm leaning towards Rotom-w. But... how do I breed 5IVs on a genderless pokemon?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since I'm not sure how the heck I'm going to get a 5IV Zapdos of choice, I guess Rotom or ferrothorn would be my pokemon of choice, but I'm leaning towards Rotom-w. But... how do I breed 5IVs on a genderless pokemon?
Your only choice is to use a Ditto I believe, unless they changed the rules and genderless can breed with genderless.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
But... how do I breed 5IVs on a genderless pokemon?
(1) With a 6IV ditto (mostthe3rd is doing a giveaway)

(2) Put a bunnelby on GTS and tell me if you want ferrothorn or rotom-w. I can send you one (since I'm distributing battle ready pokemon for people to use on battle spot). Unfortunately, I don't have a zapdos. Further details of what I can offer can be viewed in the link in my sig. :)

Can anyone see over my Sand Room team and tell me what I need to fix on it?
I will not take out Carbink as it is the main reason I am making this team :P

Tyranitar@Tyranitarite
Brave(+Attack, -Speed)
Ability: Sand Stream
252HP/252Spdef/4Att
Dragon Dance
Crunch
Rock Slide
Protect

Carbink@Mental Herb/Air Balloon
Relaxed(+Def, -Speed)
Ability: Sturdy
252Hp/252Def/4SpDef
Trick Room
Guard Split
Toxic
Protect

Heatran@Leftovers/Air Balloon
Quiet(+SpAtt, -Speed)
Ability: Flash fire
252SpAtt/252Hp/4SpDef
Eruption
Protect
Flash Cannon
Earth Power

Garchomp@Rocky Helmet
Jolly(+Att, -Speed)
Ability: Rough Skin
252Att/252Speed/4Hp
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw
Protect

Reuniclus@Life orb (female)
Modest(+SpAtt, -Attack)
Ability: Magic guard
252Hp/252SpAtt/4SpDef
Psychic
Trick room
Shadow Ball
Protect

Scizor@Choice scarf (Male)
Jolly(+Speed, -SpAtt)
Ability: Technician
252Attack/252Speed/4SpDef
Bullet punch
Superpower
Aerial ace
U-turn

Last edited:
So, two things.

1) What's Carbink actually doing with that set? Bulking up a partner Pokemon while it Toxic stalls?

That's honestly the most questionable element of your team on paper. Carbink is a good Trick Room-setter because there's very little that can hurt it enough, especially in a Sandstorm, to take it out and it doesn't need partner support (though, note on that below). But after that it has setup and offensive options that are probably better utilized than Toxic-stalling, which takes the entire length of Trick Room (four turns) to rack up more damage than a burn would. Not the best for doubles. Look into Calm Mind and Power Gem, Moon Blast or Dazzling Gleam. Give it Leftovers instead of Heatran if you really want it, and it can sit out there all day. The latter two also give you Dragon coverage you don't have right now.

2) Grass types are going to be a problem if you want Sand and Trick Room up at the same time, but you've probably already realized that. You have Scizor, Heatran and Reuniclus (if they're also Poison type) to deal with them right now though, so I suppose that's enough coverage as long as you're keeping them safe.

Have you tested this yet? Also, how's it fare against Mega Kangaskhan? I can see some iffy turn-one matchups with her out. Also Garchomps on turn one, and even in Trick Room you currently lack a great way to deal with them.

I have not tested it that much as I am trying to breed shiny competitive versions of each pokemon :)
Hoping someone would point out something major they might find in my team before I spend all the time breeding them all ^^'
Don't breed until you've at least tried it out in Showdown. Like, in general, try your team in the simulator so you know if you need to make tweaks before spending time breeding it.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The main problem I notice here is that although you're running this as a Trick Room team, three of your Pokémon are designed as fast sweepers (that's half your team) - Garchomp, Scizor and Tyranitar. Tyranitar has a Brave nature, sure, but Mega Tar has 10 more base speed than it's base form and Dragon Dance boosts it's speed, defeating the purpose of Trick Room. Scizor is Choice Scarfed; Garchomp is running Jolly max Speed. While you do have a few good TR abusers, if you end up with the wrong Pokémon in at the wrong time (i.e. during active Trick Room), you may find it working against you quite often. Tyranitar gets Curse; running it as the Mega is still a good idea despite the buffed Speed as you can still benefit from the added bulk and power, and 71 is still more than slow enough for Trick Room at -1 Speed.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I'm glad i was able to help you out. In all honesty, perfect 5iv Pokemon are not totally necessary. In Zapdos' case, you can soft reset it in XY (providing you chose Fennekin as your starter) which will come with 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. You can keep resetting until you get one with 31s in the important things and at least 20+ in the others. Personally, I roll with an Adamant Excadrill I randomly caught in BW2 that doesn't have any perfect stats (everything is 25+ though) and it does fine!

If you haven't already, definitely try asking mostthe3rd for a Ditto, he helped me out (not that he needs vouching for lol). You'll need one for breeding genderless 'mons like Rotom, as well as Male-only like Hitmontop.

Also, you are able to request Pokemon here from EnGarde's list of cloned, battle-ready Pokemon. Read the OP of this thread for details.

Tyranitar@Tyranitarite
Brave(+Attack, -Speed)
252HP/252Spdef/4Att
Dragon Dance
Crunch
Rock Slide
Protect

Carbink@Mental Herb/Air Balloon
Relaxed(+Def, -Speed)
252Hp/252Def/4SpDef
Trick Room
Guard Split
Toxic
Protect

Heatran@Leftovers/Air Balloon
Quiet(+SpAtt, -Speed)
252SpAtt/252Hp/4SpDef
Eruption
Protect
Flash Cannon
Earth Power

Garchomp@Rocky Helmet
Jolly(+Att, -Speed)
252Att/252Speed/4Hp
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw
Protect

Reuniclus@Life orb (female)
Modest(+SpAtt, -Attack)
252Hp/252SpAtt/4SpDef
Psychic
Trick room
Shadow Ball
Protect

Scizor@Choice scarf (Male)
Jolly(+Speed, -SpAtt)
Bullet punch
Superpower
Aerial ace
U-turn
(I just got sniped by ethan06 while writing this but whatever still saying it)

It seems odd to have so many 'fast' Pokemon on a Trick Room team. Swap Dragon Dance on Ttar for Curse or Hone Claws, if you Scizor must be choiced then please use Band instead (this may have been a typo on your behalf as Scarf + Bullet Punch is odd). Garchomp is naturally very fast, it will work as a good late game cleaner once Trick Room is used up, or I would suggest using a Brave nature, using Mega Chomp instead of Mega Ttar (mega Chomp's speed is lower than non-mega), or if not going mega consider making it hold a Power item (Anklet/Bracer etc) or Iron Ball as this cuts his speed in half making him 'faster' in Trick Room. Remember that Mega Garchomp's ability is Sand Force, which powers up his ground, rock and steel moves so his Earthquake is crazy powerful in a sandstorm.

And yeah I agree on putting an attacking move on Carbink. Otherwise he's total Taunt bait (yeah yeah Mental Herb but that only works once). Dazzling Gleam would be handy just to break sashes/sturdy. Calm Mind would be good, making it's special bulk crazy under sandstorm, and helping it do some actual damage as well

Yes I did in fact write wrong Choice item on it :E

Did also alter my team a bit and tried it out on Showdown! Did lots of wrong moves due to new to the time. But ended just short of 1200 rating. No idea how that rating compares to real BattleSpot though

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I'm glad i was able to help you out. In all honesty, perfect 5iv Pokemon are not totally necessary. In Zapdos' case, you can soft reset it in XY (providing you chose Fennekin as your starter) which will come with 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. You can keep resetting until you get one with 31s in the important things and at least 20+ in the others. Personally, I roll with an Adamant Excadrill I randomly caught in BW2 that doesn't have any perfect stats (everything is 25+ though) and it does fine!
Anjunadeep In many ways what cant say is true, however there are some pokemon that rely on having perfect/near perfect stats in particular places in order to function properly.

A great example is garchomp. Jolly garchomp has a coveted base 102 speed, which allows it to naturally out-speed all base 100's without any kind of boost (mega kangaskhan, mega charizard x/y, zapdos, etc). If your garchomp doesn't have a perfect or near perfect speed IV, though, you'll miss out on that. It's okay if the def or some other stat is a bit lower, but if the speed IV isn't 28+, your garchomp'll struggle to be effective.

It all just depends on the pokemon. On the other hand, for the longest time I used an aegislash that didn't have min-speed (it had like a 12 or 13 speed IV), and it worked really great for me. Then, Pyritie donated a min-speed aegislash for the battle spot clone box, so I'm going to start using that, after I finish building the other teammates. (ugh, grinding the maison for BP...at least the battles are easy and I get feedback on how well the team does on the wacky wacky things the AI throws to counter-team me).

Speaking of garchomp, though: Spoonfairy I'm going throw in support for mega garchomp over mega ttar on your team as well. Mega chompy is very rare, so you'll have surprise on your side.

Good luck! :)

EDIT'd to address the proper people, lol. Thanks, cant say :)

Last edited:
Yes I did in fact write wrong Choice item on it :E

Did also alter my team a bit and tried it out on Showdown! Did lots of wrong moves due to new to the time. But ended just short of 1200 rating. No idea how that rating compares to real BattleSpot though
That's hard to say, both because of the different rating systems and because they're different environments (Showdown! having a smaller geographical playerbase).

In general, just use it to note what your team is having trouble against so you can make tweaks before creating it in-game. Showdown!'s Battle Spot ladders may be Battle Spot in microcosm only, but you'll see many of the same archetypes and Pokemon at higher levels, so it's important to fare as well as you can against them.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Whoops should have been more clear about the IVs, I just meant that 5 perfect one's across the board is not necessary. Things like your offensive stat of choice and speed are the important ones. That's why I used Zapdos as an example as it will come with 3 perfect stats. When soft resetting I would aim for those to be in HP, Special Attack and Speed, the other 3 absolutely do not have to be 31's for it to be an effective pokemon (but I strongly recommend making sure they are at least above 20). The only reason I get away with Excadrill is that because of Sand Rush he doesn't miss out on outspeeding things anyway (I feel like I should note he's imperfect because I can't RNG but I wanted Iron Head (Tutor move) on him). If I was using a Mold Breaker one then a perfect speed stat would be needed, or at least close, to get the jump on the rare max-speed Rotom...

Also EnGarde, you tagged Spoonfairy in reference to his Garchomp, but my initial post about IVs was for Anjunadeep so just tagging to make sure he sees this :)

I updated my team after trying it out on Showdown and after your guys recommendations :)
ATM wondering if I should replace Scizor with Lucario or not

Tyranitar@Lum Berry
Brave(+Attack, -Speed)
252HP/252Spdef/4Att
Curse
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Protect
Note: I got a problem with doing damage. Trying out Earthquake but donno if that is redundant as Garchomp already have that as STAB.
Belly Drum Azumarill can setup without fear against it :E

Carbink@Leftovers
Relaxed(+Def, -Speed)
252Hp/252Def/4SpDef
Trick Room
Sandstorm
Dazzling Gleam
Protect
Note: Carbink is doing better then expected for me. Added Sandstorm to counter rainteam and for refresh whenever Dazzling Gleam won't do much damage.

Heatran@Charcoal
Quiet(+SpAtt, -Speed)
252SpAtt/252Hp/4SpDef
Eruption
Protect
Flash Cannon
Earth Power
Note: I really like Eruption but donno if I like Earth Power :(

Garchomp@Garchompite
Jolly(+Att, -Speed)
252Att/252Speed/4Hp
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw
Protect
Note: Having problem being able to switch him in during the Sandstorm from Tyranitar, added Sandstorm to Carbink so I can refresh it.

Reuniclus@Life orb
Modest(+SpAtt, -Attack)
252Hp/252SpAtt/4SpDef
Psychic
Trick room
Shadow Ball
Protect
Note: I like this one a lot, doing insane amount of damage while not easy to take down.

Scizor@Choice Band
Jolly(+Speed, -SpAtt)
Bullet punch
Superpower
Aerial ace
U-turn
Note: If I have a feeling I can't keep up Trick Room the whole match I often take this one as backup.
Thinking about replacing with Lucario with extreme speed. Not sure.
Might change the nature to Adamant and the EV to Hp from Speed

EDIT: I am a dingdong, been playing with a serious zero EV tyranitar on showdown............ No wonder he did next to zero damage and died really fast

Last edited:
I'm currently trying out this team on Battle Spot Rotations:

Blaziken@Lum Berry
Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

Kangaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Scrappy/Parental Bond
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Latios@Life Orb
Levitate
Timid Nature
4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Sylveon@Leftovers
Pixilate
Calm Nature
252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpDef
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish
- Hyper Voice

Archeops
Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Protect
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

Chansey@Eviolite
Natural Cure
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
- Seismic Toss
- Counter
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

I have some questions:
1. What's a good item I can give to Blaziken? Lum Berry helps with the terrible thing that is paralysis but since I have Sylveon it's redundant most of the time.

2. I feel like Chansey is the team member who pulls the least weight, she's rendered somewhat redundant by Sylveon as a cleric. She's excellent at stall (which I love) but she's the one I use the least and the times I've won with her I could easily have done with someone else.

3. Should I replace Sylveon with Vaporeon? Steel-types and water-types are mean to me :(

Don't tell me to replace anyone please, other than these questions my mind is very much made up on this team.

Edit: I feel like I should add that Rotation Battles is my absolute favourite battle format. It's the most fun and requires the most creativity and prediction imo :)

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Tagging Whiskey Tango because he's one of the best people to ask about rotation battles (he'll also be happy that there's more interest in the format). :)

---

Major update to the battle ready distribution! Special thanks to CatataFish_6, who made a major donation! The new pokemon available are listed below. A few of the sets need to be updated for battle spot, but I'll do that in the morning, lol. Feedback on quick changes is appreciated!

Vileplume (M)
Modest 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Chlorophyll
OT: CAMP
ID: 48780
Egg Moves: Teeter Dance, Ingrain, Synthesis,
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Petal Blizzard
Special thanks CatataFish_6 to for the donation!

Slowbro (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Atk
Regenerator
OT: Cacdlash
ID: 13253
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Trick Room

Muk (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Stench
Egg Moves: Shadow Sneak, curse, haze
- Gunk Shot
- Acid Armor
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Slide

Ampharos (F)
Quiet 252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Sp.Def
Static
31.17.31.31.31.00 (Hidden Power Ice)
OT: Japanese (P shape, smiley face)
ID: 05773
Egg Moves: After You, agility, eerie impulse, electric terrain
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem

Quagsire (F)
Relaxed 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Unaware
Egg Moves: Encore, Counter, Stockpile
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stockpile
- Recover

Porygon2
Modest 252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 4 Speed
Download
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Ludicolo (M)
Calm 252 HP / 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Rain Dish
Egg Moves: Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Mawile (M)
Brave 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Intimidate
Egg Moves: Ice Fang, Fire Fang
- Iron head
- Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Aggron (F)
Careful 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Rock Head
Egg Moves: curse, head smash, iron head
- Heavy slam
- Earthquake

Banette (F)
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Frisk
Egg Moves: Destiny Bond, Gunk Shot, Disable, Pursuit
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snatch
- Destiny Bond

Ambipom (F)
Jolly 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Technician
Egg Moves: fake out
- Fake out
- Double Hit
- U-turn
- Thunder wave

Hippowdon (F)
Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Speed
Sand Stream
Egg Moves: slack off
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Protect
- Double-Edge

So 2 things I've wondered for a while and don't know why I never asked anywhere...

- for PGL usage stats, is there any way to bring up the page for any individual Pokemon you want rather than manually scrolling through everything?
- on PGL profiles, some matches have battle video codes and some don't, what determines which matches get codes saved there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)