Type Control (Playable on Aqua and Pandora)

the mega-evolving mind games keep their type, btw. so gyarados can still be mind-gamey after mevo-ing. and rhydon is fairly good with water/flying+lightningrod now that bolt strike kyub is gone

EV

Banned deucer.
Mega Gyarados has more bulk and it actually learns Iron Head and Iron Tail. Haxorus could be a fine alternative if you want to use another mega though.
The Gyaras I've seen are Water/Ground with Dragon Dance and Taunt or another coverage move. The thing with Haxorus is you can use an item other than a stone, like Lum, Life Orb, etc, but the immunity to Knock Off's effect is a nice trade-off.

I was also thinking that Ground/Poison accomplishes the same goal I had posted earlier that Ground/Steel does. Resists Fairy, immune to Toxic, immune to T-wave. Plus this time you're not weak to Fighting or Fire, but you gain a weakness to Psychic and swap your neutrality to Ice to a weakness. Since Hax can't learn Iron Head, Poison Jab is a comparable replacement, but again I think Rock Slide (or Stone Edge for other users) is still worth considering.

On another note, look at this flying hippo.

The Gyaras I've seen are Water/Ground with Dragon Dance and Taunt or another coverage move. The thing with Haxorus is you can use an item other than a stone, like Lum, Life Orb, etc, but the immunity to Knock Off's effect is a nice trade-off.

I was also thinking that Ground/Poison accomplishes the same goal I had posted earlier that Ground/Steel does. Resists Fairy, immune to Toxic, immune to T-wave. Plus this time you're not weak to Fighting or Fire, but you gain a weakness to Psychic and swap your neutrality to Ice to a weakness. Since Hax can't learn Iron Head, Poison Jab is a comparable replacement, but again I think Rock Slide (or Stone Edge for other users) is still worth considering.

On another note, look at this flying hippo.

Seems good till you realize stealth rocks

Aero can make use of a (Dragon/Dark)/Steel or a Water/Ice type. overall he has many types that are better than his current one due to tough claws.
Edit: also vivillon can use a better type for secondary stab and fire/dark pyroar would be cool

EV

Banned deucer.
Seems good till you realize stealth rocks
Well the idea was to combo Sand Stream w/ Rock to get Sp. Defense boost. Flying helps negate Ground weakness. It has instant recovery, something Ttar lacks. It's no top tier threat, but this gives it some nice rounded bulk. Flying could be swapped I guess for something else like ... Grass, but then you're neutral to Ground and weak to Fighting. I just wanted to see the hippo fly is all.

I've also been thinking about Solid Rock/Filter for good type combos with few weaknesses or even for single types that are good defensively like Fairy. Mega Aggron with Fairy is pretty funny, but what can it do? Likewise Rhyperior can function in a similar role but with an item other than a mega stone.

Well the idea was to combo Sand Stream w/ Rock to get Sp. Defense boost. Flying helps negate Ground weakness. It has instant recovery, something Ttar lacks. It's no top tier threat, but this gives it some nice rounded bulk. Flying could be swapped I guess for something else like ... Grass, but then you're neutral to Ground and weak to Fighting. I just wanted to see the hippo fly is all.

I've also been thinking about Solid Rock/Filter for good type combos with few weaknesses or even for single types that are good defensively like Fairy. Mega Aggron with Fairy is pretty funny, but what can it do? Likewise Rhyperior can function in a similar role but with an item other than a mega stone.
I know about rock for the special defense but flying isn't the best for it since you'll be switching in alot.
Weavile with fighting/dark or another type would probably make it have usage to land it in ou so that'd be cool.

If using Greninja, Steel/Ground is a cool typing to maximize switch in opportunities and 4x resist SR. Otherwise, I'm pretty hyped for a seemingly stally OM.

Stall is actually a lot harder than it looks in Type Control, as there are many threats that are incredibly difficult to deal with. Currently, the most dangerous threats to stall are as follows:

• Landorus (Fighting/Poison OR Psychic OR Dark OR Ground)
  • Manaphy (Water/Fairy OR Psychic OR Ice OR Grass)
  • Gliscor (Normal/Ghost OR Dark)
  • Porygon Z (Ghost/Dark or almost anything else, really.)
  • Mega Charizard X (Steel/Dragon OR Fire OR Ground)
  • Mega Gyarados (Ground/Water)
  • Mew (Dark/Poison or almost anything else.)
Prepare for these threats and you'll do quite well with stall in the current metagame.

Here are two sets i've used that work really well:

Dark/Poison (Clefable) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off

Manaphy has been a major pain; as such, I really felt the need to get a good counter that wasn't dedicated to beating it. Clefable does a lot more than just beating Manaphy, as Unaware allows it to wall common special attacking boosters in the current. Additionally, Clefable's Dark typing allows it to beat Psyshock abusers. STAB Knock Off really goes a long way and it gets to use it frequently to debilitate many common switch-ins such as Chansey, Articuno, and Latias. Clefable has also worked really well with Heal Bell in my experience, because Clefable's typing allows it to easily sponge so many common special attacking threats throughout the match.

Ghost/Fairy (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Dazzling Gleam / Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

This set is meant to completely wall all Landorus sets as Landorus is extremely dangerous in the current metagame. Blissey's Ghost typing allows it to escape Gothitelle. This set is meant to be played alongside Chansey, but i'm not really sure this is worth mentioning since Chansey should always be used in stall teams at the moment. Blissey makes for an effective Stealth Rock setter thanks to Natural Cure as status is prevalent in this metagame.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
Kyurem-Black might banned, but we still have another fucker with stupidly good starts. This is no where near the best set, but I think this is pretty nifty:

Ice/Ground (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

It's like a special mamoswine. SubRoost is probably not the best set for this typing to be honest (maybe Dragon / Ground?) but the type coverage is really good. Kyurem has silly bulk - 125/90/90 is nothing to scoff at, especially with reliable recovery. Hell, you can probably use Kyurem in Stall, although its support movepool is not very good for stall and it's definitely more comfortable in bulky offense or even more hyper offensive teams with a scarf set or something.

MAMP

MAMP!
Dark/Fairy (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Here's a set I've found to be very successful. Dark/Fairy is exceptional coverage, and is pretty solid defensively too. This is countered pretty hard by Steel/Fairy types, but its very hard to switch into other than that; CB Huge Power STAB Knock Off is insane.

Kyurem stuff
If that thing had teravolt...
The only type combo that resists Mold Breaker Ground + Ice is Bug / Water (lolsurskit), I think.

Regarding Megados, I initially used Water / Ground but I've since changed it to Steel / Ground since it's walled by Grass types unless you run Ice Fang. Speaking of Grass typing, I think it has some potential since I'm anticipating even more EQ spam (best physical move once again). It's also not too shabby offensively since Ground / Water also seems like it will be popular.

Actually i find eq spam to be quite unreliable (trust me i have two ground types >..>) with all the levitates and steel/flying or electric/flyings

EV

Banned deucer.
Actually i find eq spam to be quite unreliable (trust me i have two ground types >..>) with all the levitates and steel/flying or electric/flyings
MOLD BREAKER is your god now. As for the types with Flying, Gravity.

Yeah, that' why i came up with haxorus lol. Gravity seems like too much work tho >..>

More sets!!

Fire/Ground (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Natured
Ev spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Rock Slide

This is basically the uu set with stab eq for eq spam ^^

Yeah, that' why i came up with haxorus lol. Gravity seems like too much work tho >..>

More sets!!

Fire/Ground (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Natured
Ev spread: 252 Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Rock Slide

This is basically the uu set with stab eq for eq spam ^^
Gravity could work on a lure, as something to get a surprise KO on something that thought it could wall you, but I would agree that it's probably not worth building a team around. Although maybe I'm wrong.

EV

Banned deucer.
Curse is an interesting move, since now anything that learns it can benefit from the Ghost mechanics. Magic Guard won't care, and of course the target can just switch, but it's a good way to shuffle the team or stop a sweeper from going crazy. Here are a few mons that might do well with the move. All are assumed to be the Ghost type with additional dual-types listed.

+

Ghost pairs well defensively with those 4 types, so you can add whatever synergizes best with your team. The Slowbros are unique in that they can abuse Curse and Regenerator, which lessens the HP loss from the move. Tangrowth can also learn Curse from a Gen I TM, but I think it's illegal with Regenerator. Anyway, once you Curse something, you can use the next turn to Yawn, switch and regain HP, or status with T-wave or Toxic. They aren't very threatening offensively, but if you run Ghost/Dark, you can gain STAB on Foul Play and do some decent damage assuming the incoming target is invested in Attack.

+

A faster, more offensive approach can work with Aerodactyl, though it struggles to perform the following roles simultaneously without becoming overburdened. After it Curses, or even before, Aero can use Taunt to stop any healing hijinks. Roost is optional and recommended to heal itself the loss of HP. Then it has one slot leftover to do some damage. Normal is listed to gain STAB on Rock Head Double-edge, though in a meta filled with lots of Steel and Ghost-types, it probably isn't as useful. Ground is there to get the boost on EQ; against non-Levitate Steels, it will do a fair amount of damage. Dark is listed should you want to mega evolve and gain Tough Claw boosted Crunches, which are handy for hitting Normal/Ghost combos. Since it really only has one slot to attack, however, Aero is easily played around.

+

Avalugg is probably the most defensive of these sets and can take on most physical attackers with ease. A Curse set might seem counter-intuitive when it wants its HP preserved, but it has tremendous bulk and instant recovery, so it can usually live an attack even with only 50% HP left. Ghost/Normal is there to absorb other Ghost attacks. The weakness to Knock Off is mitigated, again, by its insane Defense. Steel typing can power up Gyro Ball, gives it some nice resistances, and means it doesn't fear Toxic anymore. Ground powers up EQ. With Curse, it probably won't have enough time to Rapid Spin, a niche it can retain with other sets. Roar becomes pointless, unless of course you use it on a target you haven't Cursed.

+

Magic Bounce is a really nice ability in such a stally metagame. It means Absol can't be Taunted when it wants to use Curse, and it can't be worn down with Toxic or Will-O-Wisp in between Curse and Wish. The Dark-typing is added (or retained, technically) to keep STAB on Knock Off, a good move to pair with the switching you'll induce. Taunt can also be added for stopping the opponent from healing itself. Mean Look helps trap any non-Ghosties (you'll be Knocking Off Shed Shell from other types) and Perish Song can increase the annoyance even further. Have fun with this one!

Last edited:
First off, before I get to my actual post, I'd like to mention that this is definitely up there with some of the greatest ideas ever.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'd like to share some of my sets:

fire/ground (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake/Earth Power

Cradily was one of those pokemon that made NU because of its horrible typing. Although its new typing, fire/ground, may seem awful at a glance, Storm Drain allows it to only have 1 2X weakness to ground, 5 resistances, and 1 immunity. Recover is obligatory because recover is the best move a stallmon can get. Toxic spreads status, stealth rock is there because cradily is an all around good rocker, and EQ/EP just for damage purposes just in case. Cradily's fairly good bulk helps it tank many hits that other mons simply can't take.

fairy/steel (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Roar
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball/Dragon Pulse/any coverage move

Literally the ultimate status shuffler. Doesn't care about opposing status, doesn't care about opposing special attacks, and beats so many pokemon. I actually remember a game where this thing toxic'd 4 mons before getting taunted. Roost is there for recovery, roar for shuffling, toxic for status, and coverage moves because you need an attack anyways.

Oh yeah, and on another note: I saw a guy named testcat (presumably red cat) using a team of 6 mons with taunt (which, sadly, actually did beat me, as some of them were prankster, others mold breaker...) Just worth noting that stall has a very difficult time dealing with this (lol thought about it until now, but that's probably because almost everyone uses stall in this meta).

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Ground / Poison or Steel or Ghost (Landorus-Incarnate) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Gravity
- Taunt / Rock Slide / Sludge Wave

Your move, Adrian.

Last edited:
Ground / Poison or Steel or Ghost (Landorus-Incarnate) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind
- Gravity
- Taunt / Rock Slide / Sludge Wave

Your move, Adrian.
Ghost/Fairy (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic*
- Soft-Boiled

Your turn.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)