Ladder Smogon Triples

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Please, yes. I have tried playing triples, and every time Perish song is used, there is always some bullshit added to it. It makes it easy to kill switch ins, and when used with soundproof, Oh my lord, many of my times have fallen to that strategy alone. I would fully support this ban.

Ive been using this strategy and while I say it works well its certainly easy to shut down and I honestly dont think its that overpowered. Thats just my two cents

very compelling arguments.
BAN IT, BAN IT I SAY!!!
pretty please
Please, yes. I have tried playing triples, and every time Perish song is used, there is always some bullshit added to it. It makes it easy to kill switch ins, and when used with soundproof, Oh my lord, many of my times have fallen to that strategy alone. I would fully support this ban.
Yes very very compelling

Yes very very compelling
Fine, the problem with Perish Song in triples is that it can be used to KO half of your opponents team with only one successful PerishTrap, and then KO the other half without a trapper. The battle becomes near impossible for your opponent to win if you successfully PerishTrap once, if that isn't uncompetitive I don't know what is.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Yes very very compelling
here we go
(a)
Fine, the problem with Perish Song in triples is that it can be used to KO half of your opponents team with only one successful PerishTrap, and then KO the other half without a trapper. The battle becomes near impossible for your opponent to win if you successfully PerishTrap once, if that isn't uncompetitive I don't know what is.
(b) you have more available active slots for soundproof / fake outers / double shadow taggers / wide guarders / quick guarders / other annoying shenanigans to help perishtrap go off successfully and at minimal cost to yourself.

i hope these two reasons are enough to convince you of the vast difference between doubles perishtrap and triples perishtrap (and by extension how broken triples perishtrap is).

here we go
(a)

(b) you have more available active slots for soundproof / fake outers / double shadow taggers / wide guarders / quick guarders / other annoying shenanigans to help perishtrap go off successfully and at minimal cost to yourself.

i hope these two reasons are enough to convince you of the vast difference between doubles perishtrap and triples perishtrap (and by extension how broken triples perishtrap is).
(c) given that there are only three possible pokémon you can switch in at any given time*, and the only way to survive perish song is to switch: The opponent can run a pokémon that punishes switches to easily seal the deal on perish song getting at least a few kills, directly or indirectly.

*this is slightly mitigated by the fact that there are three different slots to switch each pokémon into.

Three successful spread moves can KO half your opponents team.

You also have three whole slots to answer fake out / wideguard / quick guard / other annoying shenanigans to prevent the perish trap from working.

(c) given that there are only three possible pokémon you can switch in at any given time*, and the only way to survive perish song is to switch: The opponent can run a pokémon that punishes switches to easily seal the deal on perish song getting at least a few kills, directly or indirectly.

*this is slightly mitigated by the fact that there are three different slots to switch each pokémon into.
Or you can simply win in six turns. Given that the average triples match in my experience is about four turns, this doesn't seem very hard.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Three successful spread moves can KO half your opponents team.

You also have three whole slots to answer fake out / wideguard / quick guard / other annoying shenanigans to prevent the perish trap from working.

Or you can simply win in six turns. Given that the average triples match in my experience is about four turns, this doesn't seem very hard.
1. THree spread moves can ko half your team if you are a bad player and have a bad team that lack switch ins. Perish trap works on good players as well and needs a lot of team building focus to counter it

2. How are you preventing gengar/whoever from perish song, they are heavily invested in defence and if you are using 1 mon to quick guard, its hards to ko them + a follow me/rage powder threat

3. Good luck with doing that vs 6 bulky mons that protect every other turn most with recovery

By the looks of it you dont seem to notice the uncompetitive aspect of it. Picture losing half your team to score maybe 1 ko or just weakening down some of the opponents team without many ways to stop it. (doesnt sound too competitive, does it?)

1. THree spread moves can ko half your team if you are a bad player and have a bad team that lack switch ins. Perish trap works on good players as well and needs a lot of team building focus to counter it

2. How are you preventing gengar/whoever from perish song, they are heavily invested in defence and if you are using 1 mon to quick guard, its hards to ko them + a follow me/rage powder threat

3. Good luck with doing that vs 6 bulky mons that protect every other turn most with recovery

By the looks of it you dont seem to notice the uncompetitive aspect of it. Picture losing half your team to score maybe 1 ko or just weakening down some of the opponents team without many ways to stop it. (doesnt sound too competitive, does it?)
1. Yeah I can say you're bad if you lose to perish but it takes skill to stop spread, that goes both ways, it's an opinion.

2. Nobody said anything about stopping the perish song, you only need to stop the trap.

3. If I'm counting right you have 6 turns, and I don't think any pokemon can reliably survive three attacks per turn.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
3. If I'm counting right you have 6 turns, and I don't think any pokemon can reliably survive three attacks per turn.
4 turns
1) Opponent uses Perish Song / End of turn, Perish Count is 3
2) End of turn, Perish Count drops to 2
3) End of turn, Perish Count drops to 1
4) End of turn, Perish Count drops to 0, you faint.

Although its more like 2 turns because of Protect.

4 turns
So four turns to take out three mons and then another four to take out the last three.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
4 turns
Just have a Greninja use Mat Block on the turns your trapper can't use perish song.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
2 because of Protect with one perish trapper.
Actually just do this
Turn 1: Use Perish Song on Perish Song Poke, Switch in Greninja, Trapper uses Protect
Turn 2: Perish Song Poke uses any move it feels like, Greninja uses Mat Block, Trapper uses any move
Turn 3: Perish Song Poke uses any move, Greninja uses any move, Trapper uses protect
Turn 4: Switch everybody out (If you can't keep Greninja in)

Also, how are you going to switch out with a trapper on the field if you're not a Ghost Type/Shadow Tag user

even if it does have slight "counters", it puts opponents into too strong of a lose-lose situation. You would practically have to dedicate about half of your team to prevent it, in which case any team using legitimate strategies would plow straight through you

even if it does have slight "counters", it puts opponents into too strong of a lose-lose situation. You would practically have to dedicate about half of your team to prevent it, in which case any team using legitimate strategies would plow straight through you
Edit: ignore this post I like half read your post and responded because I was doing something else

I've played with some PerishTrap today, and went 10-0, I don't have time or the desire to play more. PerishTrap requires no skill to use and will win pretty much any match-up. I played good opponents who actually knew how to play against PerishTrap, but once they lost three Pokemon there was nothing left. There is no strategy anywhere near as easy to use and hard to beat, it creates one-sided battle which involve clicking Protect a whole lot while your opponent does nothing. Trick Room requires a degree of skill to use, spamming Protect on the other hand doesn't.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Perish Song
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psyshock
- Protect

Hitmontop (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Serious Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Perish Song
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

If you seriously doubt how broken it is play with it for any length of time, and it should be very obvious after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)