XY OU The Prince of OU: Peaked at 1960, Rank #6 on Ps

Status
Not open for further replies.
INTRODUCTION:

Hello Smogon, my name is Joel and I am very new to Smogon. I have played Pokemon very competitively in the ou tier for the past 6 years (since 4th gen). . It has reached some little success and I was hoping if the people of Smogon could help me adjust this team a little bit.

So here is the team:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Tyranitar is the first pokemon of the team. I chose this pokemon because I wanted to abuse sand this gen. Not only can Tyranitar help me abuse sand but it helps get rocks up and is a great opposing weather-killer and a very strong special defensive pokemon. Tyranitar can help excadrill be deadly in the sand and be a very powerful at the same time. I chose this set to get rocks up and physically attack my opponent. This set can be useful to trap latios/latios as well.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Excadrill is like a team MVP. This dual threat pokemon helps me sweep my opponents in late games. I also like it because it helps me clear entry hazards. The whole teams mainly revolves around sand rush Excadrill to demolish my opponent to demolish my opponent. This pokemon can help counter man threats this Gen such as Talonflame and shut them down.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magnezone is one of the best mons this gen. It helps me trap steel type walls such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory or any other steel types. By doing this my team will have an easier chance to win late in the game. Also another aspect i like about magenzone is that it can turn out and has a very good special attack stats and scarf speed when dealing with many of the pokes this gen. Using scarf Magnezone has been very helpful to me and very deadly to my opponents at the same time.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Mega Pinsir has been very reliable to this team lately. I chose this pokemon because it can be helpful late game. I swear many times late in the game this pokemon has saved me from losing. There was one battle where i was down 1-5 and came back thanks to this pokemon. It was very unbelievable honestly. I use Mega Pinsir because it is my favorite sub sweeper and is very reliable when dealing with new pokes this gen. Also I love its ability, which allows me use normal type moves as flying in mega mode. In conclusion, this pokemon has been one of the most reliable in late games to me and i usually save it for sweeping or tricking my opponent with sub when they try to switch.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

I chose because it helps me resist water type moves. Along with that it is a very bulky attacker thanks to its ability huge power. I also chose azumarill because it has a very nice move pool. This move pool can be used against many deadily threats to sands teams like Rotom-W. For example play rough will do some heavy damage. Also azumarill has priority which will be helpful if my opponent's pokemon has very low hp. Also I needed a pokemon to counter opposing excadrills or ground type pokes which can be deadly if used correctly.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock

Finally, the last pokemon of team. I chose Latias because it helps me wall water and grass types moves. I also chose latias because it is a very fast special attack with good defensive stats. Some people have asked me why I use hidden power fighting. I use it for bisharp. This team may be a little bisharp weak so thats why I used hidden power fighting over roost. On top of that whenever one of my sweepers is low on health or is affected by status problems healing wish will come in handy.

Addition comments: This team has been playing very well, but I know there are some weaknesses that I have trouble finding. I would appreciate it if any competitive ou battler and very good team raters help me fix my weaknesses. As i mention i might be a little Bisharp weak but thats all. Overall this team has been one of the most successful I have made. I thought sharing it would be nice to bring about some ideas.

Threat List: Bisharp, decent rain teams with tornadus-t/politoed combo and swift swim users. Also mixed attackers can be deadily if used. I also found ditto as a big threat late in the game if it copies.

Last edited:
I recommand this set because u will outspeed some more things and keep the bulkyness (+some spd)(if that's a word)

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Btw: Could you please add a threat list + import

sorry i didn't know many threats, im new to smogon. I just play out of mind not caring about threats because i am very confident about winning. ill see if i can find any threats.

I recommand this set because u will outspeed some more things and keep the bulkyness (+some spd)(if that's a word)

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Btw: Could you please add a threat list + import
thank you for suggestion, you are very correct. I also indeed agree.

other than that this team has relied a lot on comeback victories from excadrill. Mainly comeback wins from mega pinsir, many times i was down 1-5 1-4 1-3 and came back it was an amazing battle.

Fraud Alert

You definitely aren't wish killer. He peaked number one before on several alts on the ladder and uses a semi-stall team primarily.

Here is the team he uses:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-157194496

Yeah you are definitely a fraud and also this is a team I helped you improve yesterday on PS.

Proof of previous team: http://pastebin.com/ikK22kHS
I added HP Fighting to Latias and helped you change Keldeo to Azumarill. I am also going to contact a mod because I'm pretty sure your a liar.

Let's see a full screen screenshot with Wish Killer on the top right.

Lol welcome to smogon fgt.

Last edited:
Busted!
On a side note, add Flash Cannon to your Magnezone moveset and you might wanna run another T-Tar set, replacing Stone Edge with Earthquake.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability:
Sand Stream
EVS: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

With the 132 Speed EVs, you'll be able to outspeed non-speed invested Heatran :]
Also, why would you lie about peaking >.>

Hi guys, I'm #1-5 currently on the ladder(all of those are my alts).

Anyways, is it just me, or does this team get wrecked by Lando-T and Sand Rush Excadrill? Latias is the only thing with a hope of killing a Lando-T without concern, but Scarf outspeeds and just U-turns for over half.

Hi guys, I'm #1-5 currently on the ladder(all of those are my alts).

Anyways, is it just me, or does this team get wrecked by Lando-T and Sand Rush Excadrill? Latias is the only thing with a hope of killing a Lando-T without concern, but Scarf outspeeds and just U-turns for over half.
Yeah, that's why I told him to add Azumarill>Keldeo. Aqua jet is a clean 2HKO on Excadrill and it can be trapped by Magnezone after the sand stops. Also, -1 LO Iron Head is a 2HKO on 0/0 Lando-T.

Last edited:

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
-

...I literally won't comment on all the crap mentioned above that isn't C05ta or the man that made the RMT. Anyways on w/ the rate. Joel, Bisharp is kind of annoying to face w/ this team, as you said before. Nothing really likes Adamant LO Sucker Punchs, Iron Heads, or Knock offs. Rock Polish Lando-i w/ Knock Off kind of rapes you barring Azu. I'll make some suggestions, take them or leave them. I would defineity change that Ttar nature from Adamant to Jolly and replace Crunch with Earthquake. This gives you a better chance to beat Adamant Bisharps. You don't really need crunch if Tyranitar's only roles are to set up rocks and beat the lati twins. Also, I'd change the nature of Excadrill also from Adamant to Jolly. This helps you fight opposing sand better and also you can still outspeed Standard 192 Rock Polish Lando-i w/ sand being up.
+2 Speed Lando-i = 572 (assuming standard evds) Sand Rush Jolly Drill = 604
Also, if you want, try testing Air Balloon over Life Orb on Excadrill and Swords Dance over Rapid Spin (I understand you need a hazard remover, I'll get to that). You don't have a lot for Mold Breaker Earthquakes on that team, so balloon makes it a bit easier to fight back. Swords Dance helps be sure that you won't just be a quicker drill and still poss a threat. If you happen to switch in on a scarf lando-t locked in EQ, you get a free SD and get a either a kill or damage something. Fun!

I really don't see the point of psyshock on Latias, considering you have Azumarill to beat Conkeldurr and Pinsir for Mega Venusaur and Amoongus. In my opinion replace Psyshock with Defog and make it's spreas 72 HP / 184 Sp Atk / 252 Speed. Defog helps you to keep hazards off, keeping the pressure off of drill taking damage for spinning. This also helps in lure in Bisharp more on the switch if hazards are up and you still get to OHKO it w/ HP Fighting. The spread is mainly for safer switch-ins on Specs Keldeo in case Azumarill goes down. I'm also gonna pass you a better AV Azumarill spread, a bit more speed to creep on min speed opposing Ttars.

Also please give Mangezone Flash Cannon unless you enjoy a 3 atk Steel Trapper. What a monster,,,

Hoped I helped bud

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

-

...I literally won't comment on all the crap mentioned above that isn't C05ta or the man that made the RMT. Anyways on w/ the rate. Joel, Bisharp is kind of annoying to face w/ this team, as you said before. Nothing really likes Adamant LO Sucker Punchs, Iron Heads, or Knock offs. Rock Polish Lando-i w/ Knock Off kind of rapes you barring Azu. I'll make some suggestions, take them or leave them. I would defineity change that Ttar nature from Adamant to Jolly and replace Crunch with Earthquake. This gives you a better chance to beat Adamant Bisharps. You don't really need crunch if Tyranitar's only roles are to set up rocks and beat the lati twins. Also, I'd change the nature of Excadrill also from Adamant to Jolly. This helps you fight opposing sand better and also you can still outspeed Standard 192 Rock Polish Lando-i w/ sand being up. Also, if you want, try testing Air Balloon over Life Orb on Excadrill and Swords Dance over Rapid Spin (I understand you need a hazard remover, I'll get to that). You don't have a lot for Mold Breaker Earthquakes on that team, so balloon makes it a bit easier to fight back. Swords Dance helps be sure that you won't just be a quicker drill and still poss a threat. If you happen to switch in on a scarf lando-t locked in EQ, you get a free SD and get a either a kill or damage something. Fun!

I really don't see the point of psyshock on Latias, considering you have Azumarill to beat Conkeldurr and Pinsir for Mega Venusaur and Amoongus. In my opinion replace Psyshock with Defog and make it's spreas 72 HP / 184 Sp Atk / 252 Speed. Defog helps you to keep hazards off, keeping the pressure off of drill taking damage for spinning. This also helps in lure in Bisharp more on the switch if hazards are up and you still get to OHKO it w/ HP Fighting. The spread is mainly for safer switch-ins on Specs Keldeo in case Azumarill goes down. I'm also gonna pass you a better AV Azumarill spread, a bit more speed to creep on min speed opposing Ttars.

Also please give Mangezone Flash Cannon unless you enjoy a 3 atk Steel Trapper. What a monster,,,

Hoped I helped bud

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Fraud Alert

You definitely aren't wish killer. He peaked number one before on several alts on the ladder and uses a semi-stall team primarily.

Here is the team he uses:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-157194496

Yeah you are definitely a fraud and also this is a team I helped you improve yesterday on PS.

Proof of previous team: http://pastebin.com/ikK22kHS
I added HP Fighting to Latias and helped you change Keldeo to Azumarill. I am also going to contact a mod because I'm pretty sure your a liar.

Let's see a full screen screenshot with Wish Killer on the top right.
Lol welcome to smogon fgt.
Hop off My D kid ill bust ur ass in ou anyday
Thats not who I am i hit it with another alt and dropped severally... I was looking for cahnges

Last edited:
Z
-

...I literally won't comment on all the crap mentioned above that isn't C05ta or the man that made the RMT. Anyways on w/ the rate. Joel, Bisharp is kind of annoying to face w/ this team, as you said before. Nothing really likes Adamant LO Sucker Punchs, Iron Heads, or Knock offs. Rock Polish Lando-i w/ Knock Off kind of rapes you barring Azu. I'll make some suggestions, take them or leave them. I would defineity change that Ttar nature from Adamant to Jolly and replace Crunch with Earthquake. This gives you a better chance to beat Adamant Bisharps. You don't really need crunch if Tyranitar's only roles are to set up rocks and beat the lati twins. Also, I'd change the nature of Excadrill also from Adamant to Jolly. This helps you fight opposing sand better and also you can still outspeed Standard 192 Rock Polish Lando-i w/ sand being up. Also, if you want, try testing Air Balloon over Life Orb on Excadrill and Swords Dance over Rapid Spin (I understand you need a hazard remover, I'll get to that). You don't have a lot for Mold Breaker Earthquakes on that team, so balloon makes it a bit easier to fight back. Swords Dance helps be sure that you won't just be a quicker drill and still poss a threat. If you happen to switch in on a scarf lando-t locked in EQ, you get a free SD and get a either a kill or damage something. Fun!

Hoped I helped bud

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
zamrock I don't like taking psyshock off the team because then I have nothing against a full level venasuar. Also i thought about your ttar set i prefer mine over it just because crunch can do some deadily damage towards mew. However i might invest some attack power.

Last edited:
Z

zamrock I don't like taking psyshock off the team because then I have nothing against a full level venasuar. Also i thought about your ttar set i prefer mine over it just because crunch can do some deadily damage towards mew. However i might invest some attack power.
LOL. Mega Venu seems to be the least of your problems. MPinsir takes on the VenuTran core really well so idk about your worries on that.

Anyway, onto the rate:
Seems like a pretty generic sand offense team to me.

Magnezone [add Flash cannon to the moveset]
- Probably an error on your part.

Excadrill [Air Balloon over Life Orb] and [Swords Dance over Rapid Spin]
- Against opposing sand offense your team will suffer pretty badly so AB Excadrill can act as a pseudo check to opposing Drills. Also, you can lure in Ground types with Ttar and then switch in Drill for free. SD to help you sweep late game since it seems to be one of your win con. With Smooth Rock + Drill's SD = good chance of clearing up late game.

Latias [Defog over HP Fighting]
- This helps relieve pressure off your team and also helps to free up a move slot on Drill seeing as your team is not really that weak to rocks, barring Pinsir (who aims to clean up or sub up upon coming in anyway) so it's pretty fine to have 1 Hazard Controller instead of 2.

Overall, test the changes out if you want then get back to me with the changes! Cheers~

I disagree with adding defog on Latias. Defiant boosted Thundurus will wreck your shit. Seriously. Keep Drill as your hazard remover and keep it adamant. To deal with opposing Drills, I would add the long-lost threat choice banded Azumarill to OHKO Drill with Aqua Jet after SR.

So much random drama there was no need to throw him out liek that. You know hes not what he claims to be so let you have the satisfaction of knowing and not throw him under the bus. Also dont threaten people and call them kids when your icon makes you look liek youre 17. i like the build though idk much about competative play but i dont feel to good on the pinser/latias.

I disagree with adding defog on Latias. Defiant boosted Thundurus will wreck your shit. Seriously. Keep Drill as your hazard remover and keep it adamant. To deal with opposing Drills, I would add the long-lost threat choice banded Azumarill to OHKO Drill with Aqua Jet after SR.
Uhm. Assault Vest Azu handles Thundurus (Defiant/Prankster) well enough. Why?
- If he carries Wild Charge, With Sand up (Which isn't difficult) Drill can easily come in and revenge Thundy.
- If he carries TBolt, then Azu's PR + Aqua Jet will take Thundy out.

Either way, Thundy is a problem but isn't difficult to deal with. Plus, his team composition makes it such that there is no immediate need to control hazard cause he won't be sending in Pinsir as when he feels likes seeing as it's a primary/secondary win condition for him. Banded Azu makes him even more susceptible to Thundy because he can't live a Tbolt/Wild Charge and will get murdered.

If he really thinks that Thundy is a big issue, he can use this Latias set (innovated by Scyfrost), to revenge Thundy since without Prankster, there is no reliable way for Thundy to take on Scarf Latias. Since he already has a steel trapper which should, in theory, deal with Bisharp decently. Or he could run HP Fighting over Trick on the Latias Set that I will recommend since Scarf Zone has a way to deal with opposing Azu.

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 198-234 (72.7 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 124-147 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Trick
- Draco Meteor

Overall, Latias having the defog should be the better way to go IMO.

So
Uhm. Assault Vest Azu handles Thundurus (Defiant/Prankster) well enough. Why?
- If he carries Wild Charge, With Sand up (Which isn't difficult) Drill can easily come in and revenge Thundy.
- If he carries TBolt, then Azu's PR + Aqua Jet will take Thundy out.

Either way, Thundy is a problem but isn't difficult to deal with. Plus, his team composition makes it such that there is no immediate need to control hazard cause he won't be sending in Pinsir as when he feels likes seeing as it's a primary/secondary win condition for him. Banded Azu makes him even more susceptible to Thundy because he can't live a Tbolt/Wild Charge and will get murdered.

If he really thinks that Thundy is a big issue, he can use this Latias set (innovated by Scyfrost), to revenge Thundy since without Prankster, there is no reliable way for Thundy to take on Scarf Latias. Since he already has a steel trapper which should, in theory, deal with Bisharp decently. Or he could run HP Fighting over Trick on the Latias Set that I will recommend since Scarf Zone has a way to deal with opposing Azu.

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 198-234 (72.7 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 124-147 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO

Overall, Latias having the defog should be the better way to go IMO.
Also another threat might be breloom because of spore, so i was thinking about adding sleep talk to something like magnezone. I also considered replacing pinsir with talonflame as it more faster and powerful and has better priority.

So

Also another threat might be breloom because of spore, so i was thinking about adding sleep talk to something like magnezone. I also considered replacing pinsir with talonflame as it more faster and powerful and has better priority.
LOL. Up to you. I wouldn't suggest Talonflame cause it just worsens your team position. MPinsir > Talonflame for your team but that is just my suggestion. Magnezone with Sleep Talk seems good in theory, but fact is you wouldn't want to use Mag as sleep fodder anyway. So chances are you won't even switch in Mag on Loom (I mean, mach punch is still a thing. Sleep talk will just be a waste your moveslot).

To be fair, Spore is ALWAYS a threat to ANY team. Just smartly think your way out of the situation. Just like all the shitty matchups you faced on your way to Rank 6 on the ladder. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)