Drapion [QC 2/3] Write-up in progress

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
QC: [atomicllamas] [EonX] []

Purple Almonds

Overview
########
  • Very average stats.
  • Typing gives 4 resists, 1 weakness, and an immunity.
  • Great boosting move in Swords Dance.
  • Good coverage moves and Knock Off.
  • Special bulk is poor.
  • Weak to common Ground-type moves.
  • No form of priority can set back the SD set.
Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Whirlwind
ability: Battle Armor
item: Black Sludge
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD

Moves
========
  • Knock Off because it's Knock Off and STAB.
  • Taunt to stop walls from doing stuff.
  • Toxic Spikes to whittle walls and such.
  • Whirlwind if something is setting up and couldn't Taunt or something like SubSeed being annoying.
Set Details
========
  • EV spread and nature gives it good mixed bulk that allows it to check some Grass-types as well as Psychic-types.
  • Black Sludge for recovery.
  • Battle Armor because crits suck.
Usage Tips
========
  • Use it to break stall.
  • Set up Toxic Spikes as early on as it can.
  • Use Whirlwind to spread status of Toxic Spikes.
  • Good switch-in to most Psychic- and specially-based Grass-types thanks to its typing and bulk.
  • Predict Dugtrio switch-ins.
Team Options
========
  • Cleric support to keep health up from Pokemon such as Alomomola.
  • Pokemon that don't like bulky Pokemon and stuff. Hitmonlee and Delphox.
  • Dugtrio to take care of Pokemon that don't care about Knock Off such as Cobalion.
  • Aromatisse handles most physically-based Fighting- and Dark-types for Drapion while providing Wish support.
  • Slowking handles most special attackers Drapion can't beat.
  • Physical walls such as Tangrowth and Gligar.
Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Poison Jab / Taunt
ability: Sniper
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • Swords Dance boosts Attack.
  • Knock Off is a powerful STAB.
  • Earthquake has good coverage with Knock Off.
  • Poison Jab for another STAB and hits Virizion and Mega Abomasnow.
  • Taunt to ease set up against walls.
  • Aqua Tail to wipe out Rhyperior after a SD, which Earthquake can't do.
Set Details
========
  • EV spread and Jolly to outspeed as much as Drapion can manage and hit hard.
  • Sniper will increase the damage done with a crit.
  • Life Orb to inflict more damage, but Lum Berry can be run to get rid of status.
Usage Tips
========
  • Use early- to mid-game.
  • Boost up, then pound through the opposing team.
  • Set up on common stall Pokemon like Meloetta and Aromatisse.
Team Options
========
  • Dugtrio to hurt Rhyperior severely.
  • Hazard setters such as Registeel and Druddigon. LO has a chance to OHKO Tangrowth with Poison Jab after sr and SD. LO guarantees an OHKO on Doublade with Knock Off after sr and SD.
  • Handles Doublade well, so stuff such as Durant are good teammates.
  • Virizion and Cobalion can benefit from a fallen Doublade.
Bulky Swords Dance
########
name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Earthquake / Aqua Tail
item: Black Sludge / Lum Berry
evs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========
  • Taunt to deter set up from opposing Pokemon.
  • Swords Dance to boost up in the faces of walls.
  • Knock Off is strongest STAB and it's Knock Off.
  • Earthquake for great coverage with Knock Off.
  • Aqua Tail so it isn't completely destroyed by Rhyperior and crushes Gligar much faster.
  • Poison Jab can be run to hit Virizion and Aromatisse harder and it has STAB.
Set Details
========
  • Max Speed and Jolly to take advantage of boosts and outspeed things that would want to set up on Drapion.
  • 160 HP EVs allow it to live a LO Fire Blast from Delphox. Rest is poured in Attack.
  • Sniper because why not.
  • Black Sludge for recovery, but Lum Berry can be used if scared of status and is useful against Alomomola and friends.
Usage Tips
========
  • Sets up on a ton of walls in the tier.
  • Taunt on walls or Swords Dance predicting them to switch out.
  • Don't set up if the opponent has one or two Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Drapion.
  • Easier to switch into Psychic- and special Grass-types.
Team Options
========
  • Toxic Spikes setters are great as Drapion will need to break through walls. Roselia and Omastar can do this. For example, Drapion can barely manage a 2HKO on Alomomola, even at +6, but with residual damage from Toxic Spikes, it can easily take it down.
  • Walls to wall faster threats that could take down Drapion. Registeel and Slowking are good walls.
Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Poison Jab
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Night Slash / Aqua Tail
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant
evs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe

Moves
========
  • Knock Off is STAB and it's Knock Off.
  • Poison Jab is a second STAB and works surprisingly well with Knock Off.
  • Night Slash is useful against CM Reuniclus and Cresselia due to the higher crit chance in conjunction with Sniper.
  • Pursuit traps thing like Meloetta and Slowking.
  • Aqua Tail can be run to hit Rhyperior exceptionally hard on the switch.
Set Details
========
  • 152 Speed and max Attack EVs to outspeed Jolteon and hit hard.
  • Adamant is used to hit as hard as possible.
  • Sniper because crit hax are fun.
  • Choice Scarf to outrun fast, frail Pokemon like Jolteon and Dugtrio.
Usage Tips
========
  • Use to revenge kill things and clean up late-game, as well as trap weakened Psychic- and Ghost-types.
  • Can't get through walls unless weak to one of Drapions attacks, so predict them switching in.
Team Options
========
  • Wallbreakers to get through walls that Drapion can't. Choice Specs Yanmega and Exploud can do this.
  • Walls to take hits for Drapion as it will be switching in and out often.
Other Options
########
  • Agility + SD Double Dance, but it's difficult to set up and plain Agility to too weak.
  • Air Balloon.
  • Shuca Berry.
  • Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Rock Slide.
  • Toxic.
  • Choice Band.
Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon that can outspeed Drapion such as Cobalion and Durant can successfully revenge kill it. They must watch out for scarfed Drapion, but Pokemon such as Durant can also take advantage of a scarf to successfully revenge kill it.

**Dugtrio**: Can trap Drapion, outspeed it, and OHKO with banded Earthquake. It should watch out for scarfed Drapion.

**Mega Banette**: Can use priority Will-O-Wisp to cripple SD variants of Drapion and priority Taunt to stop specially defensive Drapion, but it needs to have already mega evolved.

**Wallbreakers**: Pokemon such as Clawitzer and LO Hitmonlee can easily break apart the specially defensive set, but slower ones fall against the SD variants and scarfed set.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Anything that can take a hit or two at +2 and retaliate back. Rhyperior takes ~50% from +2 Earthquake and can OHKO back with Earthquake, but it must watch out for Aqua Tail. Alomomola can take a few hits and scare it out with Scald.

Last edited:
Remove double dance completely. Agility goes to OO
slash Substitute with taunt on the first set and add a Swords Dance 3 Attacks set with life orb. You should also make your stallbreaker set a specially defensive spread with enough speed to outpace maximum speed omastar. The moves should be
knock off
Taunt
Toxic Spikes
Whirlwind / Poison Jab

Mention aqua tail in OO
shuca berry and air baloon might be worthy of an OO mention but idk really

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Remove double dance completely. Agility goes to OO
slash Substitute with taunt on the first set and add a Swords Dance 3 Attacks set with life orb. You should also make your stallbreaker set a specially defensive spread with enough speed to outpace maximum speed omastar. The moves should be
knock off
Taunt
Toxic Spikes
Whirlwind / Poison Jab

Mention aqua tail in OO
shuca berry and air baloon might be worthy of an OO mention but idk really
1) Can you actually tell me why I should make those changes and 2) This is a WIP

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
502 Bad Gateway, I swear... I tried doing this twice now and it's gone :( I will try to finish this as soon as I can.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'm gonna say this is QC ready, but I'm tired so I could be missing things. Recommendations are appreciated. :)

Ok I haven't really used Defensive Drapion so i won't comment about it but here's my opinion on the SD:
  • I'm not so sure about Substitute being the main slash... I mean, I already tend to find LO recoil to rack up fast, but LO + Sub would seem to make it even harder to keep Drapion alive. Poison Jab is also really nice for Aromatisse and Mega Snow too...
  • I've heard Lum Berry is a nice item, as it allows Drapion to take a Will-O or Thunder Wave in order to set up and doesn't cut so much into Drapion's health like LO.
  • Mention Poison Jab hits Mega Snow too, since Knock Off does nothing cause Mega.
  • Also maybe it's just me, but I always find myself using Drapion early-game in order to break shit like Doublade, actually. I don't really see it being all that good of a late-game sweeper tbh, at least against offensive teams, since it has only decent Speed and no priority. I'd probably make it say use early- or mid-game to break shit.
  • I'd also mention it shits on a lot of common stall mons hard like Cress, Aromatisse, Slowking, Doublade, Meloetta, etc, meaning it can help break stall core n shit. Like for example after an SD, I found Drapion breaking this stall team Molk posted on the forums awhile back. (Found here)
  • In Team Options I'd mention stuff that hates Doublade, such as Durant, since Drapion's a pretty good answer to it.
  • Also, on an unrelated note, maybe this is just me but I'd probably make the defensive set the first set, considering TSpikes stall is hella good rn and Drapion's one of the best users.
  • Also add CB and CS in OO, especially CS since that was used in an RUPL replay awhile back.
Anyways I'm exhausted, it's 2:30 AM and I'm sure I've missed / written stupid stuff, but I've had a hell of a lot of experience with SD Drapion so I just wanted to post my thoughts.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, going to go through what is here. Not the most experienced with Drapion, but here goes:

[Overview]

- Remove Agility. You won't be using, like ever.
- Poor Special bulk is kinda irrelevant as it has some good resists and immunities on the special side. It's most common set is also SpDef
- Lack of priority does suck, but again, the most common set is SpDef, making this not matter a ton. Maybe mention this can hold the SD set back at times?

[Stallbreaker]

- Rename this Specially Defensive. I'll get to the full reason later
- In Usage Tips, note that this thing is a very good switch-in to most Psychic- and special-based Grass-types due to its typing and bulk
- Cobalion is literally the only Steel-type that doesn't care about Knock Off. Dugtrio does trap and KO most Poison-types that absorb Toxic Spikes though
- Note Aromatisse is super beneficial since it handles most physically-based Fighting- and Dark-types while also providing Wish support
- Slowking is a good choice to pair with Drapion since it handles most special attackers Drapion can't beat (Moltres, Delphox, etc.)
- Physical walls. Tangrowth, Alomomola, and Gligar are all decent, though Gligar's Defog can clash with Toxic Spikes at times

[Swords Dance]

- Mention Aqua Tail in moves. It's the only way you're avoiding getting crushed by Rhyperior. (+2 LO EQ tops out at 72% to the standard 248 / 0 spread)
- It's going to have Poison Jab, so remove that tidbit when you mention Yanmega
- Mention Virizion and Cobalion as other sweepers that can take advantage of a fallen Doublade
- Mention specific OHKOes or 2HKOes you get with SR support. Otherwise, remove it as this should be a given for any offensive Pokemon

[Other Options]

- Remove Aqua Tail as it should be mentioned in the SD set
- Remove Sunny Day and Rain Dance. So many better options for this imo

[Checks and Counters]

- Note that Bannette must already be Mega Evolved to get priority on its status moves to cripple Drapion. Otherwise, it's either getting Taunted (SpDef) or donked (SD)
- Slower wallbreakers (such as the ones you mentioned) are falling flat on their faces against the SD set.
- Most phazers are fairing quite poorly against the SD set due to the odd, yet effective coverage it has

Anyway, as for why I said to rename Stallbreaker Specially Defensive is because I want to propose adding this set:

Stallbreaker
########
name: Stallbreaker
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Earthquake / Aqua Tail
item: Black Sludge / Lum Berry
evs: 180 HP / 72 Atk / 252 Spe

I have no idea on the EV spread (took it from the BW analysis) as I don't have much experience with this set, but I have seen it used against me quite effectively. Idea is to come in on a wall that can't do much to you or is threatened by Drapion (Psychics, Ghosts, defensive Grasses, etc.) and act accordingly. Taunt stops walls from statusing you or trying to phaze you out. SD boosts Drapion's Attack power to threatening levels. Knock Off is the main STAB and can even be used early on when setting up is pointless (such as if the opponent has random faster shit to RK you) EQ hits the most relevant targets, including Cobalion, Registeel, and opposing Drapions. Aqua Tail donks Rhyperior if that's a major issue for your team, and gets rid of Gligar quicker. Black Sludge gives you passive recovery, but Lum Berry can allow you to still set up on the likes of Alomomola and Slowking without worrying about Scald burns. Mention Poison Jab in Moves to donk Virizion if your team struggles with it (if this set is added, of course)

Hold off on adding that until other QC members weigh in.

I like the above set, but I'd call the above set Bulky Swords Dance. Even then, the first set should be called Specially Defensive, since it is honestly not a stallbreaker.

The poor special defense is definitely relevant though, even with the specially defensive set considered. It makes it less able to be a special wall rather than a check for stuff that it can resist since it cannot take on stronger special attackers in the tier. And, of course, that means Swords Dance can't set up on as many special attackers. Actually, I'd mention something along those lines in Usage Tips to not rely on it as a catch all special wall, as it is not nearly bulky enough.

On the other Swords Dance set, Taunt should be slashed after, possibly before, Poison Jab imo. One of Drapion's big perks is being able to Taunt the opponent before it sets up anything on it, such as Amoonguss and furthermore, Taunt allows it to set up in the face of Amoonguss, Alomomola (kind of, that thing is still really bulky though), and other defensive Pokemon to try and rack up more boosts or avoid status aka the bane of any offensive Drapion.

When you mention Agility in OO I'd say that it could use it alongside Swords Dance to sort of form a double dance thing, since Knock Off + Poison Jab hits most targets neutrally (ngl I actually lost to one once >_>), but I'd mention that it often doesn't have enough power before Swords Dance to attempt to sweep.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
EonX I don't really like using Aqua Tail on the bulky SD set. It won't ever OHKO Rhyperior unless it gets up 2 Swords Dances. Can I just mention it in moves?

add choice scarf as the last set, i think that deserves their own set and have some credits like faster poison, beat dugtrio unlike the rest of drapion, faster knock off and pursuit is really cool.

Personally I use on Drapion Scarf, Adamant + enough speed to outrun Jolteon which is pretty much the faster thing in RU that you need to outrun, faster scarfs usually are not v common / easy to check and wall.

I find more useful the extra power with adamant and bulk, also I use Night Slash > EQ + Sniper which helps vs Cresselia / Reuniclus CM last mons, also Night Slash Adamant + Sniper can save the day, EQ is pretty damn weak w/o LO or SD tbh

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Remove the Speed EVs on the SpD set; just go max spd / hp. Drapion really shouldn't be trying to tangle with Omastar simply because Scald burns will ruin it and Hydro Pump 2HKOs with just any sort of prior damage. It's a very risky match up and I'd rather not have it encouraged in this analysis. There are better ways to handle lead Omastar, and this isn't one of them. The bulky Swords Dance set also looks like Garbage, but w/e.
I have the EVs set like that because I'm not sure what EVs bulky SD should run. Maybe some QC input on a better spread?

Curious as to why youre running night slash. Also Battle Armor desrerves a mention imo since no mon really likes getting hit by a crit.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
To be honest, I'm not sure why I put Night Slash there either. Changing.

Edit: Never mind, I explained it in the analysis and Hot N Cold explained it as well. :P

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dont know why theres no speed evs on spdef drapion. for example with just 56 speed evs you can taunt golbats before they can defog/taunt/roost or knock off exploud/emboar's item before they can hit you with powerful moves boosted by their item. Theres a pretty decent chance of drapion not being 2hko'd by boomburst if exploud has no item.

it's also pretty decent to speed creep other mons like bulk up braviary and taunt it before it gets out of hand.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I completely agree, but I was told to remove the Speed EVs I had previously. If QC decides to add enough to outspeed a specific threat, then I would be happy to add them.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC approved 1/3

the reason there is no speed is you can't put creep in analysis, I'd never run 0 speed drapion, but this analysis is written assuming, that other pokemon are using their standard spreads, I can't think of a specific threat you need to outspeed atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)