XY OU Rate my OU team :)

Hello all, I am relatively new to Pokemon Showdown and have experimented with a bunch of teams. The one I am posting is the one I have been testing recently, it is working well with me winning 9/10 battles I get into but I still feel like it might not be reaching its potential. Any help you can give would be appreciated so lets get into it:

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Baton Pass
- Yawn

Espeon is my lead although I know not to send her in if the other person has a dark/ghost lead because she will get one shot. I use her to set up both barriers to help Tyranitar and Kyurem survive and sweep. I also have yawn on her so that Tyranitar gets a free turn to switch in and maybe get a Dragon Dance in allowing a much easier sweep.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Tyranitar is my main sweeper, if I can pull off a free switch and get in Dragon Dance without any serious damage then he becomes a monster that can sweep entire teams. The rest of the moves are mainly just coverage, Stone Edge and Earthquake for sheer power and Ice Punch for Dragons.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Skarmory is my defensive wall and hazard setter/spinner all in one. I find it highly amusing to watch a physical sweeper keep attacking him and losing health from Rock Helmet, only for it to be futile because he just roosts up. Skarmory isn't hurt by sandstorm so I can easily switch in after Tyranitar. He is one of the Pokemon I am unsure about though, because between him and Espeon there are no actual damaging moves.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Gliscor is a bit of a mixed wall with SpD EVs, again just went for pure annoyance and whittling down the opponent slowly. Toxic Orb, Poison Heal, Protect and Substitute create an infinite wall against any Pokemon that can't get a hit in before Substitute and Toxic and Earthquake are for damage. Also Electric and Ground immunity is nice, like Skarmory he isn't hurt by sandstorm so I can easily switch in after Tyranitar.

Keldeo @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Keldeo I put in because I read on the Smogon forums that he makes a good partnership with Tyranitar. One problem he has is that substitute keeps bringing him down to 26% not 25% so Salac Berry isn't used. I'm guessing he is meant to be sent in after Tyranitar puts up sandstorm so he takes that initial damage but i'm open to other options here.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Kyurem-B is my Special Sweeper, he was mainly chosen because of his typing as I had 2x weakness to water, grass and electric and he resisted all three of these. Kyurem seems to work pretty well and takes out most things that beat Tyranitar so I feel like they work well together.

Again any help you can give would be awesome, feel free to be brutally honest. It seems to be working so far, but also feels like it isn't at it's full potential but I can't see any obvious ways to fix it. I'm attaching a screenshot with weakness and resistances for whole team, the site I use hasn't been updated to include Fairies fully so that's why that row is empty. Again thanks to those who take the time to help <3

Hi laecym cool team!
Don't have time to do a full rate right now, but I might do a full rate when I get home. Just a quick thing though, just to fix your Salac Berry problem, it occurs because your Keldeo is running an Odd HP number. Change it to 4 HP evs, and this problem will not occur.

Oh okay makes sense thanks and yeah if you get the chance that would be awesome. Also did the image of weaknesses and resistances actually attach?

Last edited:
Okay, I'm just going to get right into things. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that two of your pokemon are lacking any offensive moves. I know it's tempting to run four support moves to increase the amount of influence a support pokemon can have on a battle, but really you're just making things more difficult on yourself. Eventually one of two things will happen: either you'll get taunted and be completely neutered (which luckily can't happen to espeon, but still), or you'll end up with a non attacking pokemon as your last mon left and just end up having lost right there. In the worst case scenario, both will happen at once and you'll end up struggling yourself to death. So you really need to give espeon and skarmory an attack move. I'd recommend psyshock for espeon over baton pass, and brave bird for skarmory over whirlwind. But whichever way you decide to proceed, you definitely NEED an attacking move on every pokemon, even if you never plan on using the move, you still have to have it ready just in case.

Other than that, it's a cool team, and I wish you luck with it!

Thanks for the advice :) I figured this was a problem as the exact scenario you described happened in one of the few battles I lost, I got down to only espeon and Skarmory and all I could do was try to Stealth Rock/Whirlwind them to death. Another issue I found with this team last night is I have weakness 2x on Tyranitar, Keldeo and Kyurem. I didn't notice before because the team builder I use was 5th gen so it didn't tell me anything weakness or resistances to fairies. So far it hasn't affected me too much as Tyranitar can tank a couple of super effectives usually and Keldeo getting low on HP is kind of the point of his set. I'm only mentioning this as I am concerned about both of my Sweepers being weak to Fairy, but I don't want to completely mess up my teams balance over something that as of yet (knock on wood) hasn't been a huge issue. Right now I am thinking of replacing Keldeo as any Pokemon with priority kills him before I can use Endeavor rendering him all but useless, so if anyone has a suggestion for who could fill his spot that would be great. I'm thinking Assault Vest Azumarill maybe?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice :) I figured this was a problem as the exact scenario you described happened in one of the few battles I lost, I got down to only espeon and Skarmory and all I could do was try to Stealth Rock/Whirlwind them to death. Another issue I found with this team last night is I have weakness 2x on Tyranitar, Keldeo and Kyurem. I didn't notice before because the team builder I use was 5th gen so it didn't tell me anything weakness or resistances to fairies. So far it hasn't affected me too much as Tyranitar can tank a couple of super effectives usually and Keldeo getting low on HP is kind of the point of his set. I'm only mentioning this as I am concerned about both of my Sweepers being weak to Fairy, but I don't want to completely mess up my teams balance over something that as of yet (knock on wood) hasn't been a huge issue. Right now I am thinking of replacing Keldeo as any Pokemon with priority kills him before I can use Endeavor rendering him all but useless, so if anyone has a suggestion for who could fill his spot that would be great. I'm thinking Assault Vest Azumarill maybe?
First of all, your Keldeo is not running the usual set. People usually run the Specs set to wallbreak. I think you already have a wallbreaker since you run Kyurem-B.
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Anyways, if you want to beat fairies, and you have sand, I suggest using a Sand Rush Excadrill. It kills almost all the fairies, and it will hit first, although might not be able to switch-in.
Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This will beat most of the fairies that you are worried. It will outspeed almost everything in the tier in sand, and will resist many priorities except Aqua Jet.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 338-400 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 178-210 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 289-341 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 240-284 (66.4 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Well, if it's the 240 HP variant, it will lose. It will lose to Choice Band variants, too.
252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 289-341 (72 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 361-429 (91.6 - 108.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 530-624 (191.3 - 225.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 440-518 (121.8 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It can revenge kill, but you have to be careful for a switch in.

So after making that change, you will need something for fairies. Since now you have a spinner, why don't you switch Skamory with a Ferrothorn?
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball/Power Whip

If you like the Rocky Helmet, you would like Iron Barbs too, I guess. This is also pretty bulky in special side, which is something that Skamory doesn't have.
Since it doesn't have reliable recovery, I would suggest Leftovers. But if you want Rocky Helmet, that is fine too.[/Hide]

Last edited:
Espeon is completely outclassed as a dual screener by Klefki, who has better typing, defenses, and Prankster. Magic Bounce is nice to avoid taunt though. I don't think a dual screener is useful on this team because your only set-up sweeper is DD Mega TTar, one of the bulkiest sweepers in the entire game.

Mega Tyranitar is fine as is

Skarmory should have Brave Bird over Whirlwind, rocks, or Defog just to have an attacking move and not be taunt bait.

Gliscor is a toxic-stalling variant, and I don't know if this works well outside of stall. You could replace rocks on Skarm for Brave Bird and give rocks to a physical wall Gliscor, but then I think two physical walls is redundant outside of stall.

Keldeo works well with TTar when it runs its signature set, Choice Specs wallbreaker. This set is pretty bad in general because priority is all over the place, but it is even worse on this team because you will take sandstorm damage and die.

Kyurem-B looks good, but if you switch Keldeo to Choice Specs, you should switch this to a revenge killer because you don't have one yet. You could scarf it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)