np: XY UU Stage 2 - Light Em Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some Pokemon that might come OU to UU? Just curious.
Only ones I've really heard talk of is Togekiss (dear god...) and Diancie.

Glad Heracross is going though, got so tired of everyone running Scarfcross.

Edit: Got ninja'd. Funny how it seems we're trading a bulky water type for two bulky water types.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh dear, Togekiss would probably be really broken in UU, speaking as someone who has played a lot of BW UU, I will say that Togekiss was really strong last gen and pretty close to being broken back then. Seriously this thing is a bulky mon and almost impossible to OHKO, and it provides ridiculous support with T-Wave, and paraflinch is cheap and any paralyzed mon basically has like a 5% chance to win. The NP stallbreaker set crushes defensive mons and Air Slash is cheap as always. Its new Fairy-typing means it can basically laugh at Hydreigon, Krookodile, Mega Absol, Mienshao, and a horde of other mons. And again, this thing is surprisingly really bulky (although it's kind of fat so I guess it's not surprising). This thing will be really strong, and in my opinion possibly broken, I think it won't last very long in the tier.

Diancie...well, it will be interesting. I guess it's a nice Hydreigon answer as well, which we kind of need, and its typing isn't shabby defensively. Diamond Storm and Moonblast give it good offensive presence, and it would be a decent bulky Pokemon, and it should do okay I guess as a Mega Absol and Hydra counter. That said, it doesn't have that many useful resists, and Krookodile has EQ so yeah.

The other drops don't seem that interesting. Vaporeon, Quagsire, and Smeargle were all here before, and they were alright. Vaporeon was an okay Wish passer, it'll be the same as before, except with competition from Alomomola: having Roar and offensive presence is nice though. Quagsire will have a niche in Unaware but that's basically it, and Smeargle is an okay lead I guess lol, though I used it quite a lot before it moved up. Espeon might drop but it will still be ass lol, I think it belongs in NU but whatever.

Regardless, as said, the move-ups will be more interesting, we're bound to lose a lot of meta defining mons like Slowbro and Heracross, which will really shake up the metagame, as those two were significant mons in the meta. Mew moving up would be interesting as well. The meta will definitely shake up with some top threats leaving and a new possible top threat joining.

Just some thoughts.

we started to vote on hawlucha yesterday and it quickly got enough votes to be banished back to BL. i'll post the paragraphs once the remainder of the votes are in.

there won't be another retest for a couple of weeks as i want to give the metagame time to settle after the incoming september tier shift. enjoy!
Why not just test Diggersby he is kinda obvious with regard to the direction he would be heading might as well get him over with already - and I don't think the shifts would particularly affect his performance.

Diancie...well, it will be interesting. I guess it's a nice Hydreigon answer as well, which we kind of need, and its typing isn't shabby defensively. Diamond Storm and Moonblast give it good offensive presence, and it would be a decent bulky Pokemon, and it should do okay I guess as a Mega Absol and Hydra counter. That said, it doesn't have that many useful resists, and Krookodile has EQ so yeah.
Well she can make a fine check, I personally use the defensive set, as she can usually stomach an EQ and fire back fairly hard with Moonblast. If you get lucky with Diamond Storm then it will give a longer staying power. I picked on the offensive variant based on the statistics (which was usually scarved though band will obviously be fatal as it was the next most common set followed by defensive SR Taunt sets)

252+ Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Diancie: 182-216 (60 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Krookodile: 276-326 (83.3 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

One thing I do like about Diancie is that aside from the resistances that Fairy typing gives I find she doesn't falter to special attacks quite as easily and can usually stomach a hit even from a super effective physical. Of course the problem is what she will do afterwards but I like that she is a nifty check to dark/dragon/fire types. Course the ground/grass/water weaknesses is a nuisance but I find these to be fairly easy to cover with my teams (and often regain momentum on my end especially if EQ).

Last edited:
because we obviously dont have time for that since we want to get over with the new drops first

anyways, in regards to the tier shift, its actually really relieving that we're losing bro and mew, not just hera, as they'd be even better than they are currently without one of their best checks. as to the whole meta, however, pretty much every bulky water gets better (cune and pert in particular) due to the lack of the main bulky water killer and the main bulky water, as well as the departure of the defogger that minds scald burns the least (although that's not saying much). im really looking forward to the september shifts, should be a fun meta :x

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RIP Aerial Ace Dugtrio. lol but anyway, Slowbro leaving means crocune gets a helluva lot better since Slowbro can't Calm Mind with it and win with Psyshock. Heracross leaving is a jump for the waters as well IE sunfish, suicune, swampert. Mew means best defensive defogger is gone (Crobat was best overall imo, just my opinion) and there's more reason to run stuff like Empoleon to have the Stealth Rocks/Defog combo. As for drops, I'm not sure myself whats dropping but I'll go on the posts above me. So togekiss is basically the same S rank mon from last gen, but now it has a Fairy/Flying typing... get that shit outta here. BL plz. Scolipede is getting quickbanned apparently, fine with that. Smeargle is sorta OK but its still niche and could probs end up RU again idk, and Vapeoreon just gives another Water we don't need. Still this is gonna be an interesting tier shift.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Diancie: 276-328 (90.7 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Looks like Diancie is just Specs Hydreigon fodder. Come in on something slower than than you feigning a Scarf, pop Diancie in the face.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
Yes, please have possibly the worst coverage move on a Specs mon so that literally every set-up sweeper can sweep safely (Lucario, Crocune, Infernape) just so that you can /possibly/ bop Diancie... not to mention that Diancie is the only thing that Flash Cannon hits really, and if you have that you cannot have U-Turn, or some better coverage move like.. let's say Fire Blast or Surf...

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
flash cannon is already fine on specs hydreigon, it's just that specs hydreigon isn't that good (lo is better). it's already set up fodder for all of the things you mentioned with draco meteor and dark pulse (on different things), so idk what you're on about

if you have flash cannon you can still have a lot of other stuff. draco meteor / fire blast / flash cannon / dark pulse is fine, surf is basically useless, and u-turn on specs hydra is kind of really dumb

Actually, I remember a few months ago Koko said U-turn on Specs would be really good. I tried it but I suck with Hydreigon in general so it didn't do diddly for me, so guess if Our Benevolent Dictator has evidence that U-specsgon is good that would help.

(though I don't get how it's relevant to the conversation, but whatever)

POINT BEING: Diancie is gonna be one of those Pokemon that people want to try out after the drop, in no small part for its ability to check the shit out of Hydreigon. People brought that specific facet up so I brought up a counterargument for it.

POINT BEING: Diancie is gonna be one of those Pokemon that people want to try out after the drop, in no small part for its ability to check the shit out of Hydreigon. People brought that specific facet up so I brought up a counterargument for it.
Well it will be interesting at least in how it would potentially affect his most popular set, scarf, because it is an obvious drawback for Hydregion to run Iron Tail/Flash canon. That said rather than Diancie I see Togekiss as being the factor that would potentially push Hydregion to run coverage against fairy types, as Togekiss is immediately more threatening with only a x2 weakness as opposed to x4.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok here are my thoughts on Togekiss (which seems to be the most controversial drop incoming in September)...

Togekiss is a bulky beast. With a new Fairy/Flying typing, which is a hell of a lot better than its previous typing of Normal/Flying, it can use its bulk rather well, walling a lot of the current UU metagame such as Lucario, who shouldn't be running Steel-type STAB on its standard set, Mienshao, and Heracross, who looks like it'll be leaving and Togekiss can take many super-effective hits. Here are just a few relevant calcs...

252 Atk Mienshao Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 158-188 (42.3 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 276-326 (73.9 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 258-306 (69.1 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Another problem that Togekiss has is it has reliable recovery in Roost, stalling out many of the SE hits it can already take and it can easily cripple these threats with T-Wave and Paraflinch hax.

Final thing is with it investing in Def, most super-effective Special hits tend to cripple or even have a chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Togekiss: 351-413 (94.1 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Togekiss: 338-402 (90.6 - 107.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Overall Togekiss is a tough one, but I would really love if it stayed but I understand if it ends up BL because that godsend of a typing coupled with its natural bulk.

P.S. It also can easily overpower the opponent as it learns Nasty Plot AND Baton Pass

Nidoqueen is almost a perfect counter to Togekiss. Rotom-H is niche, but is another full counter. Raikou and Rhyperior are very solid checks. There are a bunch of other potential checks depending on what set it's running -- Fletchinder, Doublade, Mega-Aggron, Gligar, Mega-Aero, Crobat, Jirachi, Metagross. Not to say that Togekiss won't be broken, but it's a new meta, this is a UU with Blissey and Haxorus, so let's keep an open mind.

Of all the things moving up, I think Heracross will be the most tier changing in terms of things leaving the tier. It gives a fair deal of breathing room for Defensive teams, which no longer have to run Granbull or Aromatisse to have a good switch in to it, giving them freedom to play around with other Pokemon.
Slowbro was already slowly being replaced by Mega-Luvdisc and Swampert, with Suicune still around, so that shouldn't be too great a loss as it is easily replaceable.
Mew leaving is interesting, but it really didn't have too great of an effect on the metagame, as in it isn't all that prepared for and Blissey could wall anything that SpD Mew could. Though the loss of its Defog will have a great effect on a few teams.

In terms of drops, Togekiss will be the strongest drop. I know it is better than what it was last gen with the new fairy-typing, but then again UU has had a massive jump in power levels this gen. If it stays it will have a profound effect on the tier.
Diancie has quite noticeable flaws, but quite a few nice things about it too, not really sure what effect it will have on the tier, but come its Mega-Evolution I can see it becoming rather scary.
Vaporeon is welcome back, as a nice Water cleric, with phazing, an immunity and great special bulk.
Quagsire actually looks rather mediocre now, getting rather easily 2HKOed by LO Haxorus and Lucario, and hence not being able to check the 2 most common setup sweepers in the tier:
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 224-265 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Smeargle is welcome to fulfil all of those niche needs that players have.

I think togekiss will be fine for the tier. For all the talk saying it will be outright broken, there have been quite a few changes that also go against it. Electric types being immune to paralysis altogether stops some of the paraflinch rage, even if its not the best set. Poison weakness is unfortunate in UU, since the main users of poison STAB attacks force togekiss to speed creep which detracts from its bulk (at the very least, outspeeding defenisve roserade should be a benchmark, and nidoqueen even moreso).

4MSS Also plays a part. Air slash alone on a defensive set won't cut it when UU offers powerful wallbreakers or flying resists sitting well above the speed benchmark of togekiss. Offensive sets have to pick and choose what walls them or not. Air slash is near non-negotiable. No fairy move is trouble against dragons. no fire blast means Mega-aggron, Jirachi and Metagross all wall you and/or defeat you in return. Empoleon takes everything bar aura sphere, while it can phaze or hit you with ice beam/flash cannon (for the offenisve sets).

The most dangerous thing to consider is togekiss with sticky web support, where the majority of its checks suddenly find themselves getting haxed past, barring Mega-Aero, Rotom H and CB crobat. Even then, 4MSS can still leave it walled.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
lets talk about non-theorymony things for now, yes?

so for the hawlucha test i kinda just spammed ernesto's celebi-pass team (sub sd hawlucha / nidqueen / megastoise / sd bp celebi / assault vest entei / scarf jirachi) but i changed a couple of things around and discovered a couple of cool things. first is flame charge entei is really fucking dangerous if you manage to pass +2 attack to it, and since it doesn't have anything else to use besides sacred fire / xspeed / stone edge, you might as well run flame charge.

the more interesting thing, however, is that while ernesto ran leftovers on his celebi, i decided to try this set:

Celebi @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 132 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Swords Dance

obviously you can run timid, giga drain, and nasty plot/calm mind, if you prefer.

before using this set i saw weakness policy as nothing more than a gimmick that didn't really work most of the time... man i was wrong. this thing is incredible. celebi's natural bulk and plethora of common weaknesses make it so incredibly easy to pull this off, especially when the #1 used pokemon in the tier is hydreigon (LO dark pulse does 72.5 - 86.2% and u-turn does a little less). the key to this set is to know how to get weakness policy passed to something else (and to have good recipients obviously). there's two main ways you can do this:

1. because of celebi's tendency to draw in u-turn users, you can pretty easily get this in against whatever it walls, recover or sd on the switch, then click baton pass on the u-turn. they pick what they send out first as you're passing +4 attack to something that hopefully beats the shit out of it. just so you know, celebi tanks even darmanitan's u-turn 100% of the time without SR up and some of the time with it up (flare blitz OHKOs though so its risky, but the point is, it tanks every faster u-turn in the tier lol)

2. you can switch it into something slower using a super effective attack, then click baton pass. this is less nice, because they could decide to stay in and then you're stuck guessing what move they clicked and therefore what mon you should send out unless you have something that completely walls what they have out (but thats unlikely since if that was the case, they probably wouldn't be attacking with it in the first place).

what's really nice about this set is that there's like no reason /not/ not just slap WP on it. leftovers is nice but not exactly necessary for something with recover and natural cure, so the opportunity cost is small while the potential payoff is huge. the idea is to play it like a standard SpD celebi until you get the opportunity to pass, not to actively try to pass, btw.

the nature/EVs are set to be faster than non-scarf heracross, but slower than roserade/lucario. mostly because if you underspeed roserade/luke you can get off a BP on it after tanking a sludge bomb/crunch, and the 40 extra SpD allows you to do stuff like this:

252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 132 SpD Celebi: 330-390 (82.2 - 97.2%)
252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 132 SpD Celebi: 351-416 (87.5 - 103.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 132 SpD Celebi: 342-404 (85.2 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 354-416 (88.2 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 306-362 (76.3 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

it goes without saying that you should only let it tank these hits if your pass is going to lead to win/big advantage, don't waste celebi's HP just for the sake of getting the pass off lol

Slowking has a niche in the tier in his own right, but if you're looking for a physically bulky water-type you're much better off with something that has the stats for it like Suicune, Swampert or Alomomola (not that any of those fulfill exactly the same role as Slowbro either but they're closer).

Since Slowbro is going to OU will Slowking be used to replace him?

I would say the closest replacement to Slowbro would either be Alomomola or Suicune. Actually, with Slowbro out of the tier, CroCune can flourish easier since CM wars never work out for Suicune thanks to Slowbro's Psyshock. As far as pivot/utility, Alo is a great option that can pass huge wishes and has access to regenerator. But, as somebody pointed out already, Slowbro was able to fulfill both roles extremely well and will be difficult to replace.

But, we will see the rise of stronger fighting/fire types now that Bro is gone. Darm and Tini just got a whole lot more threatening imo. So, we may see the rise of Scarf Flygon as a reliable check. It's going to be an interesting to say the least. Slowbro and Hera have been UU staples since I first joined UU after BW2 came out. So, it's going to be a big shake-up of the tier.

Lucario will be a lot more threatening after the tier changes. If both Mew and Slowbro leaves there is really no reason to use crunch over Bullet punch which means you can no longer check it with Sableye, Mega Aero, fairy types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)