Killing Clerics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stall is quite viable in UU I have found since I have started fiddling around in the tier. One of the biggest threats to any stall team is clerics (and magic bounce). I create this thread to discuss good checks and counters to the clerics in this tier.

A few things to consider:

1. Most threats to stall in UU are weak to Fighting (Blissy, Umbreon, Mega Absol, Steel types).
2. Florges is weak to Poison and Steel.
3. Hitting physically is much better than hitting specially.
4. Knock Off and Pursuit are handy tools to have.

One answer I came up with is Toxicroak. Both of his STABs hit all of the above threats super effectively plus he gets Knock Off AND Pursuit. Poison Touch also helps wallbreak and deters Wish to an extent because they will want to Heal Bell off the poison. Dry Skin I'm sure could potentially help in some way as it is his best ability, but none of the above threats use water attacks so I feel that extra boost to his damage and synergy with stall is better.

Something along the lines of...

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Poison Touch
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Adamant Nature

Poison Jab
Drain Punch
Knock Off
Pursuit

Lucario is also an option with both STABs, again, being super effective, but he lacks Knock off and Pursuit, which sucks.

Maybe something like....

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature

Close Combat/High Jump Kick/Drain Punch
Iron Tail/Metal Claw
Ice Punch/Earthquake/Bullet Punch/Extreme Speed
Roar/Circle Throw

The last 2 moves really depend who else you want Lucario to take out.

It is a shame Fighting is weak to Fairy as both of these guys only get a neutral switch in to Florges' Moonblast, but hey, nothing is perfect and they can still kill it quite easily. I'm sure the EVs can be done better, but, again, this thread is about ideas.

What other ideas do you all have? Discuss.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
delete it

also you may want to lurk a little bit more or just check the analyses for the proper sets. there are plenty of things that are far better at beating stall and are actually good sets outside of that.

just for a quick tip kinda thing,

toxicroak should always run dry skin (crocune counter among other things), run SD over pursuit (and perhaps Sucker Punch over Knock Off, but if you want to be anti-stall KO is fine). Lucario should be SD / Extremespeed / Close Combat / Crunch or Bullet Punch.

best of luck!

Lucario doesn't get physical Steel-type moves besides Bullet Punch and Metal Claw, both of which are too weak to use as true "coverage". Bullet Punch is only there for priority, and Metal Claw doesn't even have perfect accuracy. Just one more friendly reminder.

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
Lucario doesn't get physical Steel-type moves besides Bullet Punch and Metal Claw, both of which are too weak to use as true "coverage". Bullet Punch is only there for priority, and Metal Claw doesn't even have perfect accuracy. Just one more friendly reminder.
Iron tail exists.

Iron tail exists.
Man, I looked around a ton for information on Iron Tail for Lucario back when Mega Luke was a thing and none of it said it was legal. Just did some reading and found it's only eligible if you use the Iron Tail TM in 4th gen. Thanks.

delete it

also you may want to lurk a little bit more or just check the analyses for the proper sets. there are plenty of things that are far better at beating stall and are actually good sets outside of that.

just for a quick tip kinda thing,

toxicroak should always run dry skin (crocune counter among other things), run SD over pursuit (and perhaps Sucker Punch over Knock Off, but if you want to be anti-stall KO is fine). Lucario should be SD / Extremespeed / Close Combat / Crunch or Bullet Punch.

best of luck!
It isn't about beating stall it is about taking out a key pokemon that stops my stall. I am fully aware of the smogon sets. I tend to use them from time to time, when a team needs something specific then I tend to use my own head. I have no idea how to delete. I am missing something obviously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)