Fairy Face-Off Competition

Didn't see any older threads for this. The Japanese PGL announced the finalised rules and name for the Fairy-only competition we knew about before, and is still an international competition. Registration runs from September 18 - 25, competition runs from September 26 - 28. 1000 Pokemiles as a gift for entering also.

Rules:
- only Fairy-types allowed, except Xerneas and Diancie
- singles
- National dex + Kalos born only
- everything scaled to Lv30

It wouldn't be surprising to see this whole metagame revolve around Mega Mawile with its own resistance to Fairy and Iron Head to deal major damage to everything. I'm thinking of using a bulky Wisp Gardevoir to keep it in check, possibly with Trick Room to support my own Mawile. I also expect Togekiss to be invaluable with its unmatched Fire-type attack power to revenge kill Mawile along with its bulk in general. Anyway, should be interesting!

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Screens Klefki + SD Mawile to wallbreak + CB Azumarill to clean up. Done.

I see what they're doing but I really can't see this meta being anything but completely centralised. Babiri Berry on everything imo.

Wait, national dex means everything, right? So, Togekiss, Whimsicott, etc. are good to go, so long as they're Kalos-bred. In such a situation, the only Fire move Togekiss can't get is Heat Wave, so you still can use it for this comp...

My particular problem is that this comp runs during Anime Weekend Atlanta!! Ah well, it'll be something to do while waiting in lines.

Wait, national dex means everything, right? So, Togekiss, Whimsicott, etc. are good to go, so long as they're Kalos-bred. In such a situation, the only Fire move Togekiss can't get is Heat Wave, so you still can use it for this comp...

My particular problem is that this comp runs during Anime Weekend Atlanta!! Ah well, it'll be something to do while waiting in lines.
Wait you're right, for some reason that went into my head as Kalos dex, woops. Serebii's wording made it seem like a restriction I guess.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I also expect Togekiss to be invaluable with its unmatched Fire-type attack power to revenge kill Mawile along with its bulk in general.
Slurpuff and clefable also learn fire moves, and granbull might be useful as well as it's pretty much the only non-steel-type fairy that can stomach an iron head, though mawile's high defense can take a hit back.

-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Granbull: 102-120 (83.6 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
62 Atk Granbull Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 50-60 (51 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Granbull's also unfortunately only 45 speed though.

Mawile's also got the three elemental fangs to help it against azumarill and other mawiles.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mawile is definitely going to be super dominant, fortunately for me I have one. I should have plenty of time to train it between now and then. I'm gonna need a Klefki though, so I can literally use ethan06's strategy lol

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Yeah, I can see Mega-Mawile very dominate in this. Whimisscott I can see being annoying, due to encore +leech seed+substitute. Azumarill seems good aswell in terms of hitting hard with mega mawile.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Some other ideas I've seen thrown around:
- Babiri berry
- Protect/Sub + Disable (vs iron head mmaw)
- Synchronoise on gardevoir

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I forgot that I never listed my careful mawile on the battle ready distribution post, lol. I've also got an adamant mawile I was going to EV and add to the clone box. This seems as good a time as any (so people can use them for this comp). Is there a good specialty spread floating around? If all else fails, I'll just go with 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def. :)

As an amateur hoping to get better I'm really enjoying the pace of this forum now. After acheiving mediocrity at the Eevee Friendly I'm hoping to put a little more effort in to this tournament.

At first glance I was thinking of running screens Klefki with thunder wave to cripple threats for M-Mawile and Togekiss to come in and finish the deal. Figure M-Mawile will dominant and Togekiss will be annoying. Haven't put much thought into the rest of the team make up or spreads yet.

Definitely excited for a chance to better my performance this time around.

Screens Klefki + SD Mawile to wallbreak + CB Azumarill to clean up. Done.

I see what they're doing but I really can't see this meta being anything but completely centralised. Babiri Berry on everything imo.
That could work. I'm kind of feeling Togekiss in the last spot instead, to better take out Mawiles with Flamethrower, and maybe just run the Para-Flinch/Recovery with the rest of its move slots, which puts even Azumarill in a bind. There's probably a way to EV it to make Aqua Jet at least a 3HKO.

I want to do this, but I'm not sure I'll have time in early September to breed a team for it with grad school starting. Although if I can snag a cloned Mawile and just temporarily replace some moves on an existing Klefki I use, I'd only need to breed for Togekiss. We'll see.

Also, I see Trick Room being really questionable here with everyone running their own Mawiles and Prankster Pokemon, but maybe I'm not thinking that through. I wonder if it'd be worth using a Brave Mawile even if you aren't using a Trick Room team of your own, just in case.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave
Intimidate/Hyper Cutter -> Huge Power
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Iron Head
-Fire Fang
-Substitute/Play Rough

This is really all Mawile needs to run here. Iron Head nails everything that isn't Klefki or other Mawile, and Fire Fang takes care of those. There's literally no reason you'd want to be doing anything other than spamming Iron Head so Play Rough is mostly superfluous; SubSD looks the most useful to fend off potential Will-o-Wisps.

Klefki @ Mental Herb
Bold
Prankster
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Safeguard
-Flash Cannon

Mental Herb is really necessary on Klefki so that you can get something up before it Taunts you for good. Mawile needs defensive boosts more than speed control, so Thunder Wave isn't really necessary (albeit helpful if you can fit it). Flash Cannon 2HKOs 252/0 Whimsicott. Safeguard keeps Mawile safe against opposing burns and blocks opposing Klefki/Togekiss T-Waves.
(0 SpA Klefki Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 182-216 (56.3 - 66.8%))

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Bold
Serene Grace
252 Def/152 Sp. Atk/104 Spd
-Roost
-Calm Mind
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash

All it needs. The EV spread allows you to outspeed 252+ Mawile (you can never be too sure), survive any one attack as well as Iron Head + Sucker Punch (not Play Rough + Sucker Punch though), and still allows a clean 2HKO with Flamethrower (OHKO with one Nasty Plot: (+2 152 SpA Togekiss Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 118-140 (120.4 - 142.8%)). It was the best I could come up with :s

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
That could work. I'm kind of feeling Togekiss in the last spot instead, to better take out Mawiles with Flamethrower, and maybe just run the Para-Flinch/Recovery with the rest of its move slots, which puts even Azumarill in a bind. There's probably a way to EV it to make Aqua Jet at least a 3HKO.

I want to do this, but I'm not sure I'll have time in early September to breed a team for it with grad school starting. Although if I can snag a cloned Mawile and just temporarily replace some moves on an existing Klefki I use, I'd only need to breed for Togekiss. We'll see.

Also, I see Trick Room being really questionable here with everyone running their own Mawiles and Prankster Pokemon, but maybe I'm not thinking that through. I wonder if it'd be worth using a Brave Mawile even if you aren't using a Trick Room team of your own, just in case.
I can get you a cloned careful one immediately (not sure if it'll be good for this meta, though), and I've got an adamant already bred that needs to be EV'd and leveled. If you or someone else wants to talk about what a good EV spread would be, I'd be interested. As of right now, the best I've got is 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def (with absolutely 0 thought behind it, lol). Though, if being able to out-speed mirror mawiles is a thing, would 252 speed be worth it?

I think a big threat will be swagger!bot klefki. This meta is particularly weak to parafusion. Can aromatisse's ability block confusion?

I think aromatisse and carbink will see some use as TR setters for mmawile. For example I could imagine this being successful:

Carbink @ Custap Berry (I wish) Mental Herb / Normal Gem
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Explosion

Sturdy guarantees you'll live a hit and get TR up, custap berry if you intend this against a predicted priority abuser, like mmawile, who would snipe you after bringing you down to sturdy. Mental herb to get TR up safely without worrying about a taunt, or normal gem to do more damage with explosion (normal gem is a great option if you also have aromatisse on your team). Explosion to deal some damage before you get out of the way for your own mmawile to safely come in.

The team would work best with aromatisse as well, as just the presence of an untauntable TR setter in team preview could shift your opponent's choices of what to bring. Bring the TR setter that best fits the situation. Dunno a good build for aromatisse off the top of my head, though.

EDIT: ethan06 Might want to keep sucker punch on mmawile just to snipe focus sash'd pokemon.

EDIT2: Updated the set due to remove custap berry.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I can get you a cloned careful one immediately (not sure if it'll be good for this meta, though), and I've got an adamant already bred that needs to be EV'd and leveled. If you or someone else wants to talk about what a good EV spread would be, I'd be interested. As of right now, the best I've got is 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def (with absolutely 0 thought behind it, lol). Though, if being able to out-speed mirror mawiles is a thing, would 252 speed be worth it?
I've got a basic 252+ Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe intimidate mawile with fire fang if you want to clone it. Careful is mostly for VGC, where it can do things like live non-STAB flamethrowers and fire blasts that it's frequently targeted with. I do think that max attack won't really be necessary here though, since everything weak to iron head will be obliterated by it anyway, and since it'll be frequently targeted by lots of things, adding more survivability might be more useful.

I think a big threat will be swagger!bot klefki. This meta is particularly weak to parafusion. Can aromatisse's ability block confusion?
Aroma veil blocks the same things that Mental Herb does, so no. I'm probably going to run a lum berry azumarill though.

Honestly I think screens klefki is more dangerous simply because it makes mawile even more difficult to KO. I've even been considering running a super luck + scope lens togekiss to get through that, even though I know it's probably not as good of a strategy as it was on leafeon back in the eevee friendly.

Carbink @ Custap Berry
Custap Berry is not available ingame yet.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Huh. I didn't know that custap berry wasn't available yet. T_T I have a lot of sitrus, lum, and the EV reducing berries, and usually just ignore the rest, lol. Will edit the carbink set above.

Also, while trading poke-miles for rare candies on the PGL, I noticed that the English name of the competition is "Fairy Face-Off", not "Fairy Garden" Competition. Here is a copy of the English image, as well, in case Erebyssial wants to update the OP. :)

Fairy Face-Off.jpg

Also, while trading poke-miles for rare candies on the PGL, I noticed that the English name of the competition is "Fairy Face-Off", not "Fairy Garden" Competition. Here is a copy of the English image, as well, in case Erebyssial wants to update the OP. :)
Ah, thanks. I had a feeling the name wouldn't stay the same in english.

Regarding Trick Room, I like the idea of Carbink. The first user that came to mind was Gardevoir since it has Memento to help a teammate set up and Taunt/Will-o-wisp to stop Belly Drum shenanigans if need be, but damage from Explosion sounds pretty reliable. I'm honestly not that experienced with Trick Room teams much but it sounds so terrifying with Mawile that I'll probably have it at least somewhere on my team either way.

I'm still thinking of all sorts of other ideas but one interesting Pokemon is Clefable. A Life Orb max SpA Magic Guard set can almost always OHKOs Mega Mawile with Fire Blast and Thunderbolt can 2HKO Sitrus Azumarill, it could be an effective way to catch those off guard. Similar deal with something like Calm Mind + Babiri Berry. I also had an idea for a Cosmic Power + Meteor Mash set since so many fairies are defensively weak, but the existence of Mawile might make that too big of a risk lol.

I'm still thinking of all sorts of other ideas but one interesting Pokemon is Clefable. A Life Orb max SpA Magic Guard set can almost always OHKOs Mega Mawile with Fire Blast and Thunderbolt can 2HKO Sitrus Azumarill, it could be an effective way to catch those off guard. Similar deal with something like Calm Mind + Babiri Berry. I also had an idea for a Cosmic Power + Meteor Mash set since so many fairies are defensively weak, but the existence of Mawile might make that too big of a risk lol.
Clefable can OHKO M-Mawile and outspeeds M-Mawile if both are uninvested but Clefable is in trouble if she can only switch in after a Swords Dance. Unaware would be good to deal with both set-up Mega Mawile and Azumarill as neither can OHKO her then but if she loses the Life Orb, it turns the Fire Blast OHKO into a 2HKO (without Calm Mind). Equipping a Life Orb onto Unaware Clefable might not be too bad an idea though since Mega Mawile is definitely going to be a huge problem in this competition.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I've got a basic 252+ Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe intimidate mawile with fire fang if you want to clone it. Careful is mostly for VGC, where it can do things like live non-STAB flamethrowers and fire blasts that it's frequently targeted with. I do think that max attack won't really be necessary here though, since everything weak to iron head will be obliterated by it anyway, and since it'll be frequently targeted by lots of things, adding more survivability might be more useful.
Considering there is no fairy/fire type, all the fire type attacks here will be non-STAB as well, so I'm actually hoping that'll give me more mileage out of my careful mawile yet, lol. :D Lemme check some calcs... (calcing for level 30 kinda sucks, btw)

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 134-162 (112.6 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 122-146 (102.5 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 78-94 (79.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 86-102 (87.7 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 112-133 (114.2 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Mawile: 88-107 (89.7 - 109.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Mawile: 102-120 (104 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Togekiss: 122-146 (102.5 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 114-134 (95.7 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Mega Mawile: 78-94 (79.5 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Mega Mawile: 101-122 (103 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Mawile: 81-96 (82.6 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Mega Mawile: 116-138 (118.3 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Mawile: 92-110 (93.8 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

It looks like individual EV spreads are going to be really important, because max sp.atk choice specs togekiss has at least a 68.8% chance to OHKO all spreads of mmawile, and a good chance to OHKO most spreads (any better threats, btw?), but trades more general utility and survivability for this.

It also looks like mmawile needs fairly significant atk investment in order to guarantee the OHKO on all togekiss builds in return (important, because togekiss out-speeds, and is always looking at a 2HKO).

EDIT: Also, I'm curious about dedenne. Yeah, the pokemon stinks in general, but it is neutral to all of mmawile's options, specifically iron head.

Hazards are going to be few and far between. The only Fairy that can be Kalos-born and learn SR is Carbink, Klefki is the only Fairy to learn Spikes, and nothing learns Toxic Spikes or Sticky Web. Spikes will be more important as they damage Mega-Mawile a lot more. Trick Room is going to be pretty good with pokemon like CB Azumarill and Mega-Mawile. Granbull will actually be pretty good in TR too as 120 base attack is not at all shabby and I believe it has the lowest speed among all viable Fairies (basically not including NFE)

Edit: Mega Gardevoir also isn't legally able to have Hyper Voice so that reduces viability

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hazards are going to be few and far between. The only Fairy that can be Kalos-born and learn SR is Carbink, Klefki is the only Fairy to learn Spikes, and nothing learns Toxic Spikes or Sticky Web. Spikes will be more important as they damage Mega-Mawile a lot more. Trick Room is going to be pretty good with pokemon like CB Azumarill and Mega-Mawile. Granbull will actually be pretty good in TR too as 120 base attack is not at all shabby and I believe it has the lowest speed among all viable Fairies (basically not including NFE)

Edit: Mega Gardevoir also isn't legally able to have Hyper Voice so that reduces viability
This competition will use the single battle format (3x3), as per the rules, which can be read here. That means you only get to bring half your team to any one match, and the amount of switching your opponent will do is limited. Thus, most entry hazards are usually not worth the moveslot/turn(s) taken to set them up.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Here's another useful resource to people who want to build their teams: a simple speed tier (well, list of the fully evolved pokemon sorted by their base speed):

whimsicott - 116
dedenne - 101
mega gardevoir - 100
mr. mime - 90
gardevoir - 80
togekiss - 80
florges - 75
slurpuff - 72
clefable - 60
sylveon - 60
carbink - 50
mega mawile - 50
azumarill - 50
granbull - 45
wigglytuff - 45
aromatisse - 29

Here's another useful resource to people who want to build their teams: a simple speed tier (well, list of the fully evolved pokemon sorted by their base speed):

whimsicott - 116
dedenne - 101
mega gardevoir - 100
mr. mime - 90
gardevoir - 80
togekiss - 80
florges - 75
slurpuff - 72
clefable - 60
sylveon - 60
carbink - 50
mega mawile - 50
azumarill - 50
granbull - 45
wigglytuff - 45
aromatisse - 29
Thanks for starting this, although (and they should probably be checked against each other anyway), user Chauzu at Nugget Bridge has put together a complete document as well, with some extra calcs for different spreads: http://pastebin.com/A9pUQ9AQ

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Thanks for starting this, although (and they should probably be checked against each other anyway), user Chauzu at Nugget Bridge has put together a complete document as well, with some extra calcs for different spreads: http://pastebin.com/A9pUQ9AQ
Ah! That's what I was looking for. I've never attempted to do a speed tier, but I was getting tired of waiting for someone else to do it, lol. My list was just base speed from serebii of all the fully evolved fairies, I'll have to check the other version out as well. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)