XY OU Could you tell me what you think of the team i made?

Hello everyone, you'll probably notice english is not my mother tongue, so i apologize if i make any kind of error in this post. Anyways, i've just created a team for OU and i want to know what you think of it.

Shuckle @ Grip Claw

Ability: Contrary
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
IVs 30 HP
- Stealth rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Infestation

That's the one whose principal point is putting the stalth rocks, but can deal a great damage because he can poison enemy team with toxic and use infestation to deal 1/6 of the maximum hp thanks to the grip claw. Protect is only to obtain a free turn or for knowing what the enemy pokemonis going to do. Contrary is to avoid enemy team decreses the defense or special defense.
I usually start with him because i prefer to put the stealth rocks as soon as posible, but if i think any water type pokemon is going to be first, i use ferrothorn as lead.

Chansey @ Eviolite

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Nature: Calm
IVs: 30 HP
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Hell
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Chansey with eviolite is the principal special wall, it's suposed to enter after Shuckle dies or is changed, or when someone in the team with more than 50% of hp has his status changed (poison, paralysis, sleep or frozen). Her main role, apart from special wall, is a support and still alive until a poisoned pokemon dies, for doing that, she has soft-boiled. The utility of thunder wave is stopping pokemons like mega-scizor, mega-lucario or mega-pinsir, but i use this move when shuckle dies, as a substite of toxic. Seismic toss is to avoid being useless if someone taunts her and for doing a near 30% of maximum hp if they are not poisoned nor they don't do chansey a great damage enough for using soft-boiled. The ability natural cure is to be right even if someone sleeps or freezes her.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb

Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 96 HP/252 Atk/80 Def/80 SpD
Nature: Brave
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Detect

Conkeldurr is the principal physical sweeper, but can be a revenge killer if the enemy has low life, thanks to mach punch. Drain punch let him to gain some health and avoid a bit life orb's effect, also, has STAb. Detect let's him know if he's going to recieve a big attack, and knock off is for psychic pokemons and the utility of removing opposite's item.

Espeon @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic BounceEVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Nature: Timid

- psychic
- shadow ball
- dazzling gleam
- calm mind
Espeon's role is special sweeper. Has psychic because of the STAB, shadow ball to deal with psychic or ghost type pokemons, dazzling gleam, principally for tyranitar or others dark type pokemons and calm if you think the enemy is going to change. Colbur berry allows espeon to reduce the damage of physical dark type moves and be able to hit the enemy with a dazzling gleam. Magic bounce allows espeons to avoid all kind of stat changes moves (toxic, thunde wave...)

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: LevitateEVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Nature: Timid

- Draco meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden power fire
- Defog
Latios is one of the best defogers in actual meta-game. Psyshock allows to destroy special walls and has STAB, while with draco meteor is able to do revenge kills or eliminate dragon type pokemon thanks to his 350 speed. He has 0 IVs on attack to be less damaged by foul play, the same reason is for espeon.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
ability: iron barbsev's 252 HP, 172 Atk, 84 Def
iv's 30 HP
nature: brave

- Power whip
- Gyro ball
- Leech seed
- Protect
Ferrothorn is a mix between a physical wall and a physical sweeper. Power whip is basically for STAB, while gyro ball allos him to hit with maximum damage fairy type as clefable, that usually has fire blast/flamethrower. If a water type enters when shuckle is in battle, i change to ferrothorn and i use or leech seed in case i predict a change or protect in case the enemy pokemon is able to use blizzard/ice beam. Iron barbs is just if i predict a knock off to chansey.

Thank you for your time.
PS: All time a pokemon has 30 IVs in hp is to be in an odd number

Last edited:
I just made an importable for this team, since it was too hard to read this for me..

Shuckle @ Grip Claw
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Infestation

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 80 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Detect

Espeon @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Since I am not that experienced, I might not be telling the best things to do, but..

For Chansey, it's not a good idea to run 252 HP EVs since it's really inefficient. It already has a lot of HP so try using more EVs in Defense. I recommend 4HP/252Def/252SpDef EV spread, with bold and 0Attack IVs.

For Conkeldurr, I suggest you to try an Assualt Vest, since it's the best (and probably only viable set in OU) set. To avoid getting a burn, you should run Guts instead of Iron Fist. It can also work as a status absorber, but you have Chansey.. If you still want an physical fighting attacker, use Terrakion. Conkeldurr is too slow to do anything, and fragile on the special side without the AV.

For the whole team, why are you running 30 HP IVs on some of the mons? I really don't understand.. If you are not using Hidden power or something, you should always run 31 HP EVs. If you need to worry about Life Orb recoils, leftover numbers or Stealth Rock damage, touch its EVs, not IVs.

I don't know why you are running physically offensive Ferrothorn, since that thing is made to wall things and support the team. If you already have a hazard setter(which you do), switch it with other pokemon you want. If you still want to use Ferrothorn, give it defensive EVs.

I don't think you have any Mega-evoltions. You can go without one, but having one is nice. I think you should choose one and start building around it.

Grip claws on Shuckle is not that worth it. Since it appreciates some kind of recovery, you should change it to Leftovers. I would suggest you to put Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn and remove Shuckle entirely if you are not going to use Sticky Web, since it is the main reason to use a Shuckle.

Espeon is not very good in OU at the moment. It will get revenge killed easily since it is fragile. If you want a Calm Mind special mon, why don't you try Clefable?
Magic Guard + Calm Mind
########
name: Magic Guard + Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Soft-Boiled
move 4: Flamethrower / Stored Power
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
nature: Bold
from the analysis.

Last edited:
Actually 252 hp and 252 def is the standard set for chansey
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/chansey.3503367/
the analysis

Well, the usage stat shows people using 252 HP more, although in my opinion it isn't that good since it barely does anything.

0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 93-110 (13.2 - 15.6%) -- possible 7HKO
0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 93-110 (14.4 - 17.1%) -- possible 6HKO

is that worth it?

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 136-162 (21.1 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 171-202 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 99% chance to 4HKO

And if used correctly, you should be taking special hits with chansey.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 354-417 (130.6 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 221-260 (81.5 - 95.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Espeon: 208-246 (76.7 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
The only problem isn't the dark physical move. It will get revenge killed easily with priority and fast revenge killers. Dazzling Gleam won't do much against Tyranitars.
252 SpA Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 102-120 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Espeon Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 118-140 (34.6 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
And it will still kill you.
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Espeon: 234-276 (86.3 - 101.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 292-345 (107.7 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Please don't use Espeon.. If you want a Calm Mind user that is immune to status, use Clefable. Since you don't have any mega, Calm Mind Mega-Gardevoir would also work.(It is pretty, too)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/chansey.3503367/
the analysis

Well, the usage stat shows people using 252 HP more, although in my opinion it isn't that good since it barely does anything.

0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 93-110 (13.2 - 15.6%) -- possible 7HKO
0 Atk Mew Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 93-110 (14.4 - 17.1%) -- possible 6HKO

is that worth it?

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 136-162 (21.1 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 171-202 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 99% chance to 4HKO

And if used correctly, you should be taking special hits with chansey.
Also, minimizing Chansey's HP will reduce the amount of HP gained by draining moves, but also reduce the amount of recoil when attackers use moves like Brave Bird, so those two may cancel out. If Chansey has Wish, max HP may be better for larger wishes.

I agree with everything Merkur_Lampe said.
If you are going to use Shuckle, you have to use Sticky Web as that is its niche. You would also use a Mental Herb so it cannot be taunted (one time use, though).
HOWEVER, I would recommend not using Shuckle unless your team is specifically designed to take advantage of web. With Defog removing hazards, it's too easy for Shuckle to become a waste of a team slot.

Since you're not using Wish, I'd go with Merkur_Lampe's spread for Chansey

Assault Vest is Conkeldur's best set, but since you have no mega, Mega Medicham or Mega Heracross could be great replacements.

As Merkur_Lampe's calcs show, Espeon is too frail for such a powerful OU metagame. Since you already have Latios, I would not recommend another Psychic-type special attacker.

Latios looks fine to me, always worth the team slot.

Merkur_Lampe is right once again, you should use Ferrothorn defensively or replace it with something more offensive. Steel / Grass is terrible coverage and Ferrothorn is really slow. Factor in the phenomenal defensive typing and Leech Seed, and you'll see that Ferrothorn is much better as a defensive pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)