XY Doubles Bulky Freakshow du Soleil: My First Sun Team

Due to the fated arrival of Mega Charizard Y, the sun archetype received a (in my humble opinion) huge buff. Having said that, not a single one of my 192 teams even has a Mega Charizard Y on it! Due to this unacceptable situation, I decided to try my hand at making a team that utilized Mega Charizard Y to its fullest. The final product is a very nonstandard, bulky team that can fare extremely well with or without the sun.

upload_2014-8-29_7-57-0.png

Dark Moon (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 88 Def / 60 SpA / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

This Hydreigon set is the same as the one in my video. its purpose is to spread around twaves (particularly to opposing Heatrans), and be a nice supporting mon that still hits hard with Draco Meteor (Dark Pulse also does very strong supereffective damage). Hydreigon very rarely dies without twaving at least a few opposing pokemon, due to the defensive investments and incredible defensive typing.

upload_2014-8-29_8-0-17.png

Corona (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran does some serious work on a sun team. It walls opposing fire types, provides some great switch ins, and has some amazing synergy with Trevenant (this will be covered later), Gyarados, etc. I opted for Subtran, because it works really well with Trevenant, and due to the composition of my team I have many opportunities to set up a Substitute.

upload_2014-8-29_8-0-45.png

Serpentine Flare (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados on a sun team??? (lol idk maybe it isn't weird)??? Yep, you read correctly. I am a huge advocate of running a fire-water-grass trio on every team, and I also needed an Intimidate user. Therefore, Gyarados was obviously the best choice. It also doesn't hurt to have another ground immunity, because I have two ground0weak pokemon. I opted for a bulky Dragon Dance set, because Gyarados is my best offense outside of the sun, and he can easily sweep a team of paralyzed/burned pokemon whether it's late game or not. Gyarados also doesn't need to worry about electric type attacks, because having Rhyperior on the field assures that he can Dragon Dance safely. I am still switching back and forth between carrying Taunt and Protect, and I want you guys to tell me which would be better for my team.

upload_2014-8-29_8-8-35.png

Chloroblast (Trevenant) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Forest's Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Leech Seed

Trevenant is a pokemon that is very rarely seen within the smogon doubles community (I've only seen it used by Pocket and lower ladder peeps, everyone else prefers gourgheist). However, I believe that Trevenant is one of the most useful support pokemon period. He completely walls Rotom-W (which I really needed, because my team is pretty Rotom-W weak), and the attack investment allows him to 2HKO standard 20def Rotom-W even with Sitrus Berry recovery. However, Rotom-W will normally opt to Will-o-Wisp Trevenant, so using Leech Seed might be a better option. Trevenant's ability makes him almost unkillable while the sun is up, and that staying power lets him burn all the pokemon that aren't paralyzed yet. The move Forest's Curse has so many uses, that it is almost ridiculous. First of all, Trevenant with Forest's curse is the perfect counter to Amoonguss. You simply use Forest's Curse into your switch-in, so that you both have a favorable matchup against Amoonguss' partner, and you have a double immunity to Amoonguss' annoying attacks. Forest's Curse also does some other amazing things. It gives Mega Charizard Y STAB Solar Beam, it gives Rhyperior a resistance to grass and water (his two main wealnesses), and it gives gyarados a resistance to electric. In my opinion, Trevenant is one of the most underrated support mons.

upload_2014-8-29_8-23-19.png

Vade Retro (Rhyperior) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Assault Vest Rhyperior is a set that was originally conceived (I believe) by finally. It absorbs electric attacks (Mega Charizard Y and Gyarados greatly appreciate that), and does some crazy things. Psycho boost from sash Deoxys-A is a 3HKO, Rhyperior lives a Giga Drain from Ludicolo, and some other cool stuff. Also, if trevenant manages to get Forest's Curse onto it, it will live a Hydro Pump from timid LO Keldeo, and some other absolutely crazy things. In conclusion, Assault Vest Rhyperior is an amazing support tank that still deals good damage, but is always there to take a hit (if there are no electric types on the opposing team, Rhyperior is extremely good for "sacking", just switch it in for a mon that you don't want to die, and it will usually take the hit easily) and redirect those pesky twaves and other electric type attacks.

upload_2014-8-29_8-37-41.png

Ra (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect

This is (at least I think so) just standard Megazard Y. I chose Fire Blast over Overheat, but tell me if Overheat is a better option (like I said, this is my first time using Megazard Y :P). Not really much to say here, he is my sun setter, and also an amazing sweeper (especially when the whole opposing team is crippled by statuses).

Thanks for reading, and I hope you guys can give me feedback!

Dark Moon (Hydreigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 88 Def / 60 SpA / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Corona (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Serpentine Flare (Gyarados) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Protect
- Dragon Dance

Adamant Nature
- Forest's Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Leech Seed

Vade Retro (Rhyperior) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Ra (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey bro! I really like your team, it seams nice and complete, I can't spot any weaknesses on first glance :)

I'm just not that confortable with CharY. Two fire moves are to much IMO, especially when you can use Air slash to get rid of fighting type mons that tend to use Rock slide/ Stone edge, or Dragon pulse for coverage (but I'm more keen on Air slash). Or Roost, it may sound like you're loosing a turn in the sun, but some times it's really better to, you know, save CharY...

Forest's Curse is not powerful enough to take Protect's slot, in my mind. I like tu use you make of it, but as he Trevenant is very slow (and definitely hates Fire attacks on a sunny day!), I'm not sure that's the ideal set. Although STAB Solar Beam sounds awesome.

Watch out for Garchomp, he's quicker than Charizard and can easily OHKO him. It looks like you can handle him right now (turn 1 protect Char Ice punch Rhyperior, then mega evolve Char and start the beating), but I thought I should mention it.

Last weakness that I could spot: TR. Try to use Taunt or Fake out somewhere in the team, it wouldn't hurt.

That's what I think of this team and how I would improve it. See ya :)

basically, what that guy said, your team is super weak and bad. all the pokemon you use have checks, and if you forget to switch, they could get knocked out, making the game harder to win! i think you should take out charizard in favor of ninetales, which doesnt have a 4x weakness. hope this helped :D

seriously tho this is my favorite team, everything could be changed around a little in several directions (semi room tree, scarf hydre with support gyara) without making the team less effective. i always underestimated the bulkiness of hydreigon, but after using this team i am really happy with it.

Hey bro! I really like your team, it seams nice and complete, I can't spot any weaknesses on first glance :)

I'm just not that confortable with CharY. Two fire moves are to much IMO, especially when you can use Air slash to get rid of fighting type mons that tend to use Rock slide/ Stone edge, or Dragon pulse for coverage (but I'm more keen on Air slash). Or Roost, it may sound like you're loosing a turn in the sun, but some times it's really better to, you know, save CharY...

Forest's Curse is not powerful enough to take Protect's slot, in my mind. I like tu use you make of it, but as he Trevenant is very slow (and definitely hates Fire attacks on a sunny day!), I'm not sure that's the ideal set. Although STAB Solar Beam sounds awesome.

Watch out for Garchomp, he's quicker than Charizard and can easily OHKO him. It looks like you can handle him right now (turn 1 protect Char Ice punch Rhyperior, then mega evolve Char and start the beating), but I thought I should mention it.

Last weakness that I could spot: TR. Try to use Taunt or Fake out somewhere in the team, it wouldn't hurt.

That's what I think of this team and how I would improve it. See ya :)
Hey, Thanks for the rate man!
I wouldn't use Air Slash or Dragon Pulse on Char Y, because Fire Blast in the sun does more damage than a super effective Dragon Pulse or Air Slash. Forest's Curse is the heart and soul of the team, and it will never get removed ^_^. I can easily handle Garchomp with Trevenant (also Ryperior and Gyarados). Also, I might use taunt on Gyarados over Portect or Dragon Dance; I'm still testing Gyarados sets. All in all, thanks for the rate!

basically, what that guy said, your team is super weak and bad. all the pokemon you use have checks, and if you forget to switch, they could get knocked out, making the game harder to win! i think you should take out charizard in favor of ninetales, which doesnt have a 4x weakness. hope this helped :D

seriously tho this is my favorite team, everything could be changed around a little in several directions (semi room tree, scarf hydre with support gyara) without making the team less effective. i always underestimated the bulkiness of hydreigon, but after using this team i am really happy with it.
Thanks man! Yeah, the team can easily be modified in the ways you mentioned without harming it in any way.

Quick rate I guess.

T-Wave Hydreigon is pretty nice, but I don't think it fits well on this particular team. Tbh, go support Gyara (twave, taunt, sedge) and general offensive Hydreigon with Earth Power. Reasoning is basically DDance Gyarados won't be hitting as it can without sun. Your STAB will be relying on you hitting a weakness. So might as well change that Hydreigon to standard offense to make up and give you less of a hard time against Heatran. Also, Terrakion poses a problem to everything except Trevenent, since Hydreigon can't stop it. Gyaradss would be more helpful in this case

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Adamant Nature
- Forest's Curse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Leech Seed

Trevenant is a pokemon that is very rarely seen within the smogon doubles community (I've only seen it used by Pocket and lower ladder peeps, everyone else prefers gourgheist). However, I believe that Trevenant is one of the most useful support pokemon period. He completely walls Rotom-W (which I really needed, because my team is pretty Rotom-W weak), and the attack investment allows him to 2HKO standard 20def Rotom-W even with Sitrus Berry recovery. However, Rotom-W will normally opt to Will-o-Wisp Trevenant, so using Leech Seed might be a better option. Trevenant's ability makes him almost unkillable while the sun is up, and that staying power lets him burn all the pokemon that aren't paralyzed yet. The move Forest's Curse has so many uses, that it is almost ridiculous. First of all, Trevenant with Forest's curse is the perfect counter to Amoonguss. You simply use Forest's Curse into your switch-in, so that you both have a favorable matchup against Amoonguss' partner, and you have a double immunity to Amoonguss' annoying attacks. Forest's Curse also does some other amazing things. It gives Mega Charizard Y STAB Solar Beam, it gives Rhyperior a resistance to grass and water (his two main wealnesses), and it gives gyarados a resistance to electric. In my opinion, Trevenant is one of the most underrated support mons.
Unless I am mistaken, Forest's Curse works like Trick or Treat, where the target gains Grass in addition to its other types. This would mean that Rhyperior and Gyarados would still be weak to those types, just 2x instead of 4x. That doesn't seem very useful to me. I know you're intent on keeping the move, but ehh. Protect does seem better. (BTW if you know this then ignore me, I can't tell from your description.)

Unless I am mistaken, Forest's Curse works like Trick or Treat, where the target gains Grass in addition to its other types. This would mean that Rhyperior and Gyarados would still be weak to those types, just 2x instead of 4x. That doesn't seem very useful to me. I know you're intent on keeping the move, but ehh. Protect does seem better. (BTW if you know this then ignore me, I can't tell from your description.)
Sorry if my post wasn't clear, but due to rhyperior's immense bulk, changing a 4x weakness to a 2x weakness makes a huge difference :).

Quick rate I guess.

T-Wave Hydreigon is pretty nice, but I don't think it fits well on this particular team. Tbh, go support Gyara (twave, taunt, sedge) and general offensive Hydreigon with Earth Power. Reasoning is basically DDance Gyarados won't be hitting as it can without sun. Your STAB will be relying on you hitting a weakness. So might as well change that Hydreigon to standard offense to make up and give you less of a hard time against Heatran. Also, Terrakion poses a problem to everything except Trevenent, since Hydreigon can't stop it. Gyaradss would be more helpful in this case
I'll probably try that, but I find that twave hydreigon and offensive gyarados actually work very well.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Benja! I'm glad you decided to try sun, a more difficult but very rewarding playstyle!

Unfortunately your team differs quite a lot from the standard Sun framework discussed in the Doubles forum. Your team trades a lot of Sun's trademark offense for bulk, which isn't terribly bad but loses out on the firepower that you really want in on if you want to bother trying Sun. Your team lacks Speed and power; Heatran and Mega Char Y are really the only ones that can stay in for long amounts of time and reliably deal a lot of damage. Without this offensive pressure, your defensive core will take a lot of beating, which you really can't afford as your Sun turns tick away. Bulk is fine but you need an adequate amount of offense to remove threats ASAP so you don't waste too much time absorbing hits, especially when you don't have much recovery, either.

Gyarados really sticks out to me as odd; it not only contrasts with the Sun but also takes up space. Although you're defensive in nature, you really don't want one Pokemon taking up one of your field spots spending time setting up in conditions that hinder it. Gyarados itself is not a bad Pokemon in Sun; however, by its nature as an Intimidate Pokemon, it is more suited for a fluid, in-and-out role where it can most take advantage of its ability and resistances, especially in the Sun environment. Setup really doesn't fit it here.

Thus, I suggest that you try Choice Band Gyarados instead of your current one. Gyarados is surprisingly weak under Sun; it cannot 3HKO 252 HP Landorus-T or Heatran, two major threats to Sun you really cannot rely on anything else to beat. Power right off the bat lets you hit them hard, reducing the amount of times they can switch in and threaten you. Choice Band Gyarados also has more coverage, adding to your offensive arsenal as well. With it, you don't have to forfeit momentum just to attempt to attack or punish a threat, giving your teammates more breathing room.

Everything else looks pretty good. I might add some more firepower to Hydriegon as well so you can hit Aegislash harder--88 SpA isn't much, and most Aegislash are accompanied by Fire/Ground counters so Heatran won't work. The phys def investment looks weird just because most of Hydreigon's resists are special attackers.

Nice team!

Hey Benja! I'm glad you decided to try sun, a more difficult but very rewarding playstyle!

Unfortunately your team differs quite a lot from the standard Sun framework discussed in the Doubles forum. Your team trades a lot of Sun's trademark offense for bulk, which isn't terribly bad but loses out on the firepower that you really want in on if you want to bother trying Sun. Your team lacks Speed and power; Heatran and Mega Char Y are really the only ones that can stay in for long amounts of time and reliably deal a lot of damage. Without this offensive pressure, your defensive core will take a lot of beating, which you really can't afford as your Sun turns tick away. Bulk is fine but you need an adequate amount of offense to remove threats ASAP so you don't waste too much time absorbing hits, especially when you don't have much recovery, either.

Gyarados really sticks out to me as odd; it not only contrasts with the Sun but also takes up space. Although you're defensive in nature, you really don't want one Pokemon taking up one of your field spots spending time setting up in conditions that hinder it. Gyarados itself is not a bad Pokemon in Sun; however, by its nature as an Intimidate Pokemon, it is more suited for a fluid, in-and-out role where it can most take advantage of its ability and resistances, especially in the Sun environment. Setup really doesn't fit it here.

Thus, I suggest that you try Choice Band Gyarados instead of your current one. Gyarados is surprisingly weak under Sun; it cannot 3HKO 252 HP Landorus-T or Heatran, two major threats to Sun you really cannot rely on anything else to beat. Power right off the bat lets you hit them hard, reducing the amount of times they can switch in and threaten you. Choice Band Gyarados also has more coverage, adding to your offensive arsenal as well. With it, you don't have to forfeit momentum just to attempt to attack or punish a threat, giving your teammates more breathing room.

Everything else looks pretty good. I might add some more firepower to Hydriegon as well so you can hit Aegislash harder--88 SpA isn't much, and most Aegislash are accompanied by Fire/Ground counters so Heatran won't work. The phys def investment looks weird just because most of Hydreigon's resists are special attackers.

Nice team!
Thanks so much for the rate man! Choice Band Gyarados seems like a good idea, and I'll definitely try it! To be honest, the Hydreigon and Gyarados sets are very interchangeable, and I have been trying wllmagic's suggestions as well (as I will be trying yours). If this makes any sense, this team is built to rely on sun only minimally, so set-up Gyarados does indeed work as a win condition outside of the sun. However, Choice Band Gyarados should be great as well, and this team has so many options that I am still tweaking the sets. All in all, thanks for the feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)