XY RU RMT post mega/zor ban

This is a team that I based around cresselia as I felt she would benefit alot with the bans that happened a while back, I based the team off eonx justified RUse team but made some changes.

Cresselia Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 hp 180 def 76 sp.A
substitute
calm mind
moonblast
psyshock

This set is to come in on something cresselia threatens and set a sub up and start calm minding. the def ev are the as calm mind is raising my special defence anyway and I put some evs into special attack so even if I can't get a calm mind off I can still deal damage. Cresselia has great bulk so breaking a sub after 1 or 2 cm is going to be hard to break the sub.

Delphox @ choice scarf
Timid Nature
4 Def 252 Sp.A 252 speed
Fireblast
Psyshock
Grass knot
Switcheroo

Delphox is here to revenge kill with it's great speed tier and special attack, I added a choice scarf on to make its job have a bigger success as I can beat scarfed pokemon where with specs or lo I couldn't, switcheroo is here to criple walls that would want the switch into delphox and leaving them for set up bait or just death fodder.

Alomomola Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 hp 252 Def 4 sp.Def
wish
protect
toxic
scald

I knew I needed a wish passer and the choice was between mola or aroma I chose mola because of its ability so I can pass wishes to whatever pokemon and still heal 33% of my molas hp, which is great as I could get a switch in for free since wish will most likely heal them up to full hp. Toxic is there to stall pokemon and scald is there to give her a chance of not being set up bait by physical attackers.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

I needed a rock setter and knew my team was weak to dark types so I chose Cobalion, this set is exactly the same as eonX and it allows me to take dark types which my team would have had a problem with and gain a +1 from doing so, taunt is there to stop suicide leads such as omastar and volt switch is there to gain momentum and close combat is there as fighting is a better stab than steel.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Virizion also lets me deal with dark types while also gaining a +1 in attack and lum berry is there so I can set up on stuff like mola. Stone edge deals with the likes of motres which my team had a bit of trouble with, Virizion is one of the fastest pokemon in the tier and after a swords dance the only pokemon that wanted to switch into it is doublade.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge

Sandslash is here for two reasons keeps hazards off my field and to beat doublade, I needed a defensively bulky spinner that could also beat doublade and sandslash is the only pokemon that can fulfill that roll besides lol claydol. I would come in on the doublade knock off its eviolite and then EQ it for the KO and then hopefully spinn the hazards off my field. Stone edge is there to stop flying types like moltres just incase I'm not feeling lucky with virizion stone edging or if it is scarftres I am facing.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi MAD AXES, pretty interesting team here (honestly pretty solid for the most part), but there are a few things i think you could change to make it better.

Looking at this team at a glance, i see that Moltres can be pretty problematic. It can switch in on all of choice locked Delphox, Cobalion, and coverage moves of your other Pokemon and blow holes into your team, while you have to rely on Virizion's unreliable Stone Edge to revenge kill it easily (it can take some hits from Delphox). So a lot of my changes will hopefully help fix that.

Firstly, your current Alomomola spread is inefficient. Because of the way Alomomola's stat spread works it loses little, if any bulk when you drain EVs away from its HP, and actually gains quite a bit from having a bit of Special Defense investment. How far you want to go with this depends entirely on you, but some good benchmarks to try are 104 HP / 252 Defense / 152 Special Defense with a Bold Nature, 4 HP / 252 Defense / 252 Special Defense with either a Bold or Calm Nature, and 136 HP / 120 Defense / 252 Special Defense with a Calm Nature. Given you struggle with Moltres/Delphox, a bit of special defense investment can go a long way when it comes to dealing with it.

Secondly, simply changing around your Cresselia set a little bit can be a big help in dealing with Moltres. I personally think that Moonlight is an important move to have on any Cresselia set, reliable recovery on a Pokemon that bulky is simply a given, and i really can't see myself using a Cresselia without Moonlight personally. This is why i suggest replacing Substitute with Moonlight This lets Cresselia take advantage of its amazing bulk the best it can, and gives you another great check to Moltres that can take multiple Fire Blasts and recover off the damage (not to mention Hitmonlee). I'd also suggest changing Cresselia's EV spread to 252 HP / 208 Defense / 48 Special Defense with a Bold Nature. Cresselia should have almost no trouble setting up multiple Calm Minds, so the extra special attack EVs aren't really needed, and simply adding 48 EVs to Cresselia's Special Defense ensures that Moltres can never 2HKO Cresselia with Life Orb Fire Blast or Hurricane even with Stealth Rock factored in.

Lastly, an optional suggestion is to try out Choice Scarf Moltres over Delphox. I don't really think either is objectively better than the other in this situation, but Moltres's Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak neutrality, ability to switch into Escavalier and Durant more easily, and access to U-turn to pivot around are a few perks that might be useful to you in the long run :).

Hope i helped!

Thanks, it did help and I will take all of you points up and see what build of alomomola works best etc, the only think i'm iffy on is switching moltres, I know it is a great pokemon (used one when laddering the suspect ladder and it saved my ass alot) but the stealth rock weakness scares me a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)