Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard Stallbreaker is utterly useless against any well built stall team; it falls completely flat against said stall teams AND it doesn't do much against offense aside from fish for favorable switch-ins by spamming WoW/Taunt. At least Perish Trap Gengar kills stuff on stall. I still maintain that if you want to beat stall, you're better off using a wall breaker to punch holes--or just make better plays. Stallbreakers are so passive though; they're really only good at slowing things down. They're not going to make a stall team crumble like a wall breaker.

So--to answer your question--it's less situational because it at least accomplishes its task at breaking stall teams down. Neither of them are going to be worth it if you're concerned with beating offense--either way you're dedicating a slot to help combat stall. The difference between them is one will actually kill things and the other will just stop them from doing their job for a turn or two. I think you may be underestimating the gravity of removing a Chansey from a stall team--if you do that, your special attackers can pretty much run all over the stall team.

Let's try to avoid sweeping generalizations, eh?
*holds milk bag to emphasis his newly found Canadian accent

Both sets have great advantages against Stall and still annoy the hell out of it today, against other teams Standard Gar can burn, prevent hazards and can damage opponents with his fantastic balls (or Hex if you want to hit things harder) while PerishGar can force set up sweepers out and attack behind a sub among other things.

There's nothing fancy about this Gengar moveset, but it's been incredible for me in the current OU game:

Gengar@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Speed/252 SpA/4 HP

Destiny Bond
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam

It has everything it needs. With 110 base speed, Gengar is a great revenge killer. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are both powerful STAB attacks which hit pretty much everything for at least neutral damage.

But Destiny Bond is the real kicker. I wasn't sure how much use I was going to get out of it, but as it turns out there's a lot of opportunities to use. Several times my opponent has me in bad shape, with a powerful Pokemon hiding being a substitute... all I do is send out Gengar, use Destiny Bond, and problem solved! DB is so glorious it even cuts through substitutes.

I've had several opponents berate my use of Destiny Bond, saying that it's a cheap "noob" move that doesn't require skill. My attitude is that it requires as much skill as anything else, and next time they try to KO a Gengar they might want to try sending out something faster.

As for the last attack, here's a guide for coverage (among Pokemon in OU and BL):

Focus Blast (120, 70%): Terrakion, Crawdaunt, Mega Gyarados, Mamoswine, Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, Diggersby, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Heatran, Kyurem-Black, Magnezone, Weavile, Chansey

Thunderbolt (90, 100%): Keldeo, Crawdaunt, Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Manaphy, Hawlucha, Mandibuzz, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Skarmory, Talonflame, Staraptor, Tornadus-T

Energy Ball (90, 100%): Keldeo, Terrakion, Crawdaunt, Mega Gyarados, Manaphy, Mamoswine, Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, Diggersby, Rotom-W

Psychic (90, 100%): Keldeo, Terrakion, Hawlucha, Conkeldurr, Venusaur, Mega Venusaur, Heracross, Mega Heracross, Venomoth, Scolipede

Dazzling Gleam (80, 100%): Keldeo, Terrakion, Mega Gyarados, Hawlucha, Mandibuzz, Garchomp, Mega Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, Salamence, Zygarde, Conkeldurr, Heracross, Crawdaunt, Weavile

I don't recommend Dazzling Gleam, because even when it's super effective it hits for 160 BP, and Gengar can already hit most of them for 142.5 BP with Sludge Wave. The difference in power probably isn't enough to justify the move slot.

Last edited:
There's nothing fancy about this Gengar moveset, but it's been incredible for me in the current OU game:

Gengar@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Speed/252 SpA/4 HP

Destiny Bond
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam

It has everything it needs. With 110 base speed, Gengar is a great revenge killer. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are both powerful STAB attacks which hit pretty much everything for at least neutral damage.

But Destiny Bond is the real kicker. I wasn't sure how much use I was going to get out of it, but as it turns out there's a lot of opportunities to use. Several times my opponent has me in bad shape, with a powerful Pokemon hiding being a substitute... all I do is send out Gengar, use Destiny Bond, and problem solved! DB is so glorious it even cuts through substitutes.

I've had several opponents berate my use of Destiny Bond, saying that it's a cheap "noob" move that doesn't require skill. My attitude is that it requires as much skill as anything else, and next time they try to KO a Gengar they might want to try sending out something faster.

As for the last attack, here's a guide for coverage (among Pokemon in OU and BL):

Focus Blast (120, 70%): Tyranitar, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Heatran, Kyurem-Black, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Terrakion, Weavile, Diggersby, Chansey, Crawdaunt

Thunderbolt (90, 100%): Keldeo, Slowbro, Crawdaunt, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Pinsir, Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, Mandibuzz, Skarmory, Talonflame, Hawlucha, Staraptor, Tornadus-T

Energy Ball (90, 100%): Rotom-W, Keldeo, Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, Crawdaunt, Mamoswine, Terrakion, Diggersby

Dazzling Gleam (80, 100%): Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, Garchomp, Mega Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, Salamence, Zygarde, Conkeydurr, Heracross, Keldeo, Mandibuzz, Medicham, Terrakion, Crawdaunt, Hawlucha, Mega Medicham, Weavile
The bolded pokemon should probably be removed from your list, as Shadow Ball hits them harder than your coverage. The underlined pokemon have the ability to threaten Gengar at least as much as Gengar threatens them.

Don't take my critique as hate, just trying to be helpful.

The bolded pokemon should probably be removed from your list, as Shadow Ball hits them harder than your coverage. The underlined pokemon have the ability to threaten Gengar at least as much as Gengar threatens them.

Don't take my critique as hate, just trying to be helpful.
Yeah I was listing so many Pokemon that I made a couple of careless errors. Thanks for the corrections; I edited my post. I assume you just made a mistake with Mega Charizard X, since Dazzling Gleam certainly hits it harder than Shadow Ball.

I realize that a bunch of the Pokemon I listed are threats to Gengar, but I decided to list all the Pokemon in which the moves would have some degree of utility against; people who play in the OU metagame should of course be aware of the fact that some match ups are much better for Gengar than others.

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah I was listing so many Pokemon that I made a couple of careless errors. Thanks for the corrections; I edited my post. I assume you just made a mistake with Mega Charizard X, since Dazzling Gleam certainly hits it harder than Shadow Ball.
Nope, Zard X is a Fire/Dragon type, meaning DGleam does neutral damage, thus making the glorious shadowy balls hit harder.

It would be a shame if someone used taunt on a perish trapper mega-gengar wouldn't it? :p (well, if it manages to get the outspeed)
- Mega Gengar is banned from OU
- Usually the Perish Trap set still has Shadow Ball
- Even if it were in OU, the user would not switch it into a Taunter and would switch it into something that it can resist or not be harmed by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)