Karrablast (QC 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overview
########

+No Guard Ability allows for a never-missing strong STAB Megahorn.
+Access to Knock Off.
+Very good base 75 Attack stat.
+Access to Swords Dance
+Resists the ever-prevalent fighting type.
-Weak to Fletchling's Acrobatics.
-Has trouble taking down bulky fighting types such as Mienfoo and Timburr.
-Can be worn down easily with weakness to Stealth Rock.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Drill Run
move 4: Poison Jab/Pursuit
ability: No Guard
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
nature: Jolly/Adamant

Moves
========
  • Megahorn is a 120 BP STAB move, that, with the No Guard Ability, can't miss.
  • Knock Off acts as a support move to get rid of the opponent's item, as well as hit the Ghost-types that resists Megahorn for super effective damage.
  • Pursuit can act as a trapping move to hit Psychic and Ghost-type pokemon.
  • Drill Run is super effective to the Poison, Fire, and Steel-type which resist Megahorn, as well as hitting Rock and Electric-types.
  • Poison Jab is super effective to Fairy-types that resist Megahorn.
Set Details
========
  • Choice Scarf for Karrablast to make its role as a revenge killer more effective, and to improve its speed.
  • Attack and Speed EVs maximize the respective stats.
  • The Defense EVs help it take physical priority moves.
  • No Guard allows Karrablast's main STAB move, Megahorn, to have perfect accuracy, rather than its usual 85% accuracy. It also helps Drill Run, which is usually 95% accurate.
  • Jolly nature allows it to speed tie with Jolly Scarfed Cranidos, Jolly Scarfed Bunnelby, +1 Jolly Carvanha and Timid Scarfed Chinchou. It outspeeds All of the above without a speed boosting nature, as well as +1 Adamant/Jolly Scraggy, and Timid Choice Scarf Magnemite.
Usage Tips
========
  • Karrablast should be used as a revenge killer, especially against Pokemon that are already weakened and/or are weak to Megahorn.
  • It can also force switches, thus it can help get another Pokemon in safely.
Team Options
========
  • Archen is good as it can take care of the fighting and flying types that resist Karrablast's Megahorn, and get rid of Fletchling, which is Karrablast's main issue.
  • Fighting Types such as Mienfoo and Timburr can get rid of Steel Types.
  • Poison Types such as Foongus and Croagunk can get rid of Fairy Types.
  • Hazard Support (Dwebble, Trubbish, Ferroseed)
  • Tirtouga, as it resists Flying and Fire, two of Karrablast's weaknesses, and can provide Stealth Rock support.
  • Larvesta, as it has a slow U-turn to bring Karrablast in safely, and they can weaken each other's counters. Also, Larvesta takes on the fighting-types that wall Karrablast.
  • Hazard removal (Rapid Spin, Defog) Pokemon like Drilbur, Archen, Staryu, Tentacool, and Stunky.

Swords Dance
########
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Drill Run
move 4: Knock Off
ability: No Guard/Swarm
item: Eviolite
evs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 76 Spd / 116 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Swords Dance is there to double Karrablast's attack.
  • Megahorn is the main STAB move of this set.
  • Drill Run is a coverage move to hit the Poison, Steel, and Fire types that would normally resist Megahorn
  • Knock Off acts as a support move to get rid of the opponent's item, as well as hit the Ghost-types that resists Megahorn for super effective damage.
Set Details
========
  • The Attack EVs get Karrablast to 18 Attack with an Adamant nature.
  • The Defense EVs get Karrablast to 12 Defense before Eviolite.
  • The Special Defense EVs get Karrablast to 12 Defense before Eviolite.
  • 116 EVs in speed are there to give Karrablast to reach 14 Speed, which outspeeds every non-scarfer after Sticky Web.
  • Eviolite is to help Karrablast take a hit while it sets up Swords Dance.
  • With Stealth Rocks and an Adamant nature at +2, Karrablast is able to OHKO Fletchling and Offensive Archen. It can also OHKO defensive Chinchou and defensive Cottonee.
  • Swarm can be used in place of No Guard because it makes Megahorn even stronger.
Usage Tips
========
  • If you plan on setting up with Karrablast, you may want to send it in on a Pokemon that can't do much to it, like a burned physical attacker or sleeping Pokemon.
  • You can also use another Pokemon to U-turn or Volt Switch into Karrablast.
  • If you can't set up Swords Dance, then just attack the opponent.
Team Options
========
  • Archen, Chinchou, Magnemite, or another Pokemon to take out Fletchling.
  • Fire types to absorb Will-o-Wisp as well as spreading burns to the opposing team.
  • Stealth Rock/Spikes Support, or even Sticky Web.
  • Hazard removal (Rapid Spin, Defog) Pokemon like Drilbur, Archen, Staryu, Tentacool, and Stunky.
Other Options
########
  • Aerial Ace
  • Choice Band or Life Orb over Choice Scarf
  • Sticky Web Support
  • Stealth Rock/Spikes Support
  • It has the option of Iron Defense, but since Karrablast is still very weak to special attacks, has no form of recovery, and doesn't have that great a defense stat to begin with, it isn't worth using.
  • It also has the option of Double-Edge/Return but those moves shouldn't be used since they add no coverage.
  • It has access to the Shed Skin ability, which could have an interesting niche since it can get rid of a burn inflicted on Karrablast, although it's other abilities are usually more useful.
Checks & Counters
########
  • Bulky Fighting-types, such as Mienfoo, Croagunk, and Timburr
  • Fletchling
  • Fairy Types, especially Snubbull with Intimidate.
  • Fire Types, especially Ponyta as well as Growlithe with Intimidate.
  • Defensive Tirtouga & Defensive Archen, since they can easily take a Megahorn and can threaten with a STAB Rock move (and Archen with a STAB Flying move as well).

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This is looking good. I personally had a lot of fun with an Evio SD set I had and I believe that should get an OO mention. I see you aren't completely done, so I will be back when you are, :)

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Choice Band in Other Options, you'll hit monstrously hard, albeit at the cost of speed and the ability to change moves.

i'm not qc, but here are my thoughts: i'd make Knock Off the only slash on the scarf set, the utility of removing items from its counters ie Archen's Berry Juice is just too good to pass up. also recommend mentioning Larvesta in team options, it has a slow U-turn to bring it in safely, they can weaken each other's counters, and Larv takes on the fighting-types that wall Karrablast. I doubt running that little speed on the SD set is a good idea, but idk the optimal EV spread for it. Also, i'd add Aerial Ace in other options and remove Iron Defense from it.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are the defensive Evs on the SD set for anything in particular, when you could just be maxing out attack?

Are the defensive Evs on the SD set for anything in particular, when you could just be maxing out attack?
I tried to add in some bulk so that it could easily set up Swords Dance but I guess having low speed isn't really worth it. Also I didn't max out attack so I could add more bulk and it's attack was going to be doubled anyway, but I figure you are right & that the same spread from the Choice Scarf set could be used as well.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Set 1:
I do not think Knock Off is expendable; it's really useful in helping Karrablast break through key pokes later on. Instead, Pursuit should probably be slashed behind Poison Jab, which is probably less useful than Knock Off.
Megahorn
Knock Off
Drill Run
Poison Jab / Pursuit
Slash Swarm as a second viable ability; if Karrablast ends up within Swarm range, its Megahorn is going to hurt.
In Set Details, elaborate on what Jolly outspeeds to warrant its usage over Adamant's raw power; it allows Karrablast to speed tie with Modest Chinchou, +1 Adamant Carvanha, Jolly Bunnelby, and Jolly Cranidos, while outspeeding Jolly +1 or Choice Scarf Scraggy, Adamant Bunnelby, and Timid Choice Scarf Magnemite.
Describe the advantages and disadvantages of No Guard and Swarm.

• The Defense EVs help it take physical priority moves, with the exception of Fletchling's Acrobatics.
I don't think it's necessary to add "with the exception of Fletchling's Acrobatics" because it's not like 76 Def EVs influences every damage roll for other priority moves; saying that the Defense EVs help it take physical priority moves is fine, though.

Swords Dance:
Running 18 Atk on Karrablast drastically increases its chances of OHKOing Fletchling, 76 HP/0 Def or 0 HP/76 Def Archen, defensive Chinchou, Eviolite offensive Tirtouga, and defensive Cottonee before Stealth Rock, and Foongus and specially defensive Lickitung after Stealth Rock, so the standard spread should probably reflect this. In addition, 14 Speed is preferable to outspeed defensive Mienfoo and better take advantage of possible Baton Pass boosts. As such, I think a better spread would be 236 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe, with Adamant as the only nature. The set details should be changed to reflect this.
Just for future reference, unless there is a specific reason otherwise, you usually want spreads to be as straight-forward as possible.
Slash Swarm as a secondary viable ability, and detail how it compares to No Guard in Set Details.
Place more emphasis on Sticky Web for Team Options by giving it its own point separate from other hazards, because Karrablast's immense power coupled with its ability to hit 14 Speed make it an excellent abuser despite its vulnerability to Fletchling.

Other Options:
Remove Pursuit because it's in the main Choice Scarf set.
Don't bother mentioning Poison Jab, either, because the reader is already aware that it is a viable choice from the first set.
Elaborate on why Iron Defense is not an ideal option (Karrablast lacks recovery, does not have that many set-up opportunities, is still left vulnerable to Special attacks
Elaborate on why Double-Edge/Return are not good options (they don't offer any coverage).
Add Life Orb to the same point as Choice band, and elaborate on why they are not good items (Karrablast lacks the speed to act as an effective sweeper, or the bulk to act as an effective tank)
Mention Shed Skin, and explain that it usually isn't as useful as Swarm or No Guard.

Great job, Cityfolk n.n
QC 1/3

Last edited:
Set 1:
I do not think Knock Off is expendable; it's really useful in helping Karrablast break through key pokes later on. Instead, Pursuit should probably be slashed behind Poison Jab, which is probably less useful than Knock Off.
Megahorn
Knock Off
Drill Run
Poison Jab / Pursuit
Slash Swarm as a second viable ability; if Karrablast ends up within Swarm range, its Megahorn is going to hurt.
In Set Details, elaborate on what Jolly outspeeds to warrant its usage over Adamant's raw power; it allows Karrablast to speed tie with Modest Chinchou, +1 Adamant Carvanha, Jolly Bunnelby, and Jolly Cranidos, while outspeeding Jolly +1 or Choice Scarf Scraggy, Adamant Bunnelby, and Timid Choice Scarf Magnemite.
Describe the advantages and disadvantages of No Guard and Swarm.

• The Defense EVs help it take physical priority moves, with the exception of Fletchling's Acrobatics.
I don't think it's necessary to add "with the exception of Fletchling's Acrobatics" because it's not like 76 Def EVs influences every damage roll for other priority moves; saying that the Defense EVs help it take physical priority moves is fine, though.

Swords Dance:
Running 18 Atk on Karrablast drastically increases its chances of OHKOing Fletchling, 76 HP/0 Def or 0 HP/76 Def Archen, defensive Chinchou, Eviolite offensive Tirtouga, and defensive Cottonee before Stealth Rock, and Foongus and specially defensive Lickitung after Stealth Rock, so the standard spread should probably reflect this. In addition, 14 Speed is preferable to outspeed defensive Mienfoo and better take advantage of possible Baton Pass boosts. As such, I think a better spread would be 236 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe, with Adamant as the only nature. The set details should be changed to reflect this.
Just for future reference, unless there is a specific reason otherwise, you usually want spreads to be as straight-forward as possible.
Slash Swarm as a secondary viable ability, and detail how it compares to No Guard in Set Details.
Place more emphasis on Sticky Web for Team Options by giving it its own point separate from other hazards, because Karrablast's immense power coupled with its ability to hit 14 Speed make it an excellent abuser despite its vulnerability to Fletchling.

Other Options:
Remove Pursuit because it's in the main Choice Scarf set.
Don't bother mentioning Poison Jab, either, because the reader is already aware that it is a viable choice from the first set.
Elaborate on why Iron Defense is not an ideal option (Karrablast lacks recovery, does not have that many set-up opportunities, is still left vulnerable to Special attacks
Elaborate on why Double-Edge/Return are not good options (they don't offer any coverage).
Add Life Orb to the same point as Choice band, and elaborate on why they are not good items (Karrablast lacks the speed to act as an effective sweeper, or the bulk to act as an effective tank)
Mention Shed Skin, and explain that it usually isn't as useful as Swarm or No Guard.

Great job, Cityfolk n.n
QC 1/3
Ok, everything has been done. :)

Last edited:
add defensive tirtouga and defensive archen to C&C, both switch in fairly well on karra and threaten with rock STAB. also add rapid spin/defog users in team options (you have archen there but you don't mention defog.) good job on this qc 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)