Other OU Theorymon [Revamped]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sorgot forgot to factor technician into the HP Fire. 16 SpA Technician Mega Abomasnow Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 304-360 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

So not entirely weak in the slightest. Also Pory-Z not 2. And Chansey cant wall its SUb +NP set as it can just defeat it with the pure power of Adaptability Tri-Attack.
I'm sorry it's like 10:30 here lol
And I swear I factored in Technician there.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Archeops is nowhere near "good in OU" w that vital spirit buff. Headsmash off 75 hp cmon bruh at least hit a nigga up with rock head
The recoil does suck, but that's a small price to pay for ridding Archeops of Defeatist. His excellent mixed offenses, great Speed tier, and surprisingly wide movepool of both offensive and supportive options more than make up for the recoil you take. Besides, you can just run Stone Edge if the recoil is too unappealing.

uh yeah, good idea

PM your votes to me (preferably in the conversation you already started in you already voted) and yeah. Thursday / Friday will be the deadline. My vote goes to Normal / Ghost Porygon-Z.
  • Baton Pass Sharpedo
  • Klutz Regigigas
  • Technician Mega Abomasnow
  • Normal / Ghost Porygon-Z

uh yeah, good idea

PM your votes to me (preferably in the conversation you already started in you already voted) and yeah. Thursday / Friday will be the deadline. My vote goes to Normal / Ghost Porygon-Z.
  • Baton Pass Sharpedo
  • Klutz Regigigas
  • Technician Mega Abomasnow
  • Normal / Ghost Porygon-Z
So uh

I don't mean to sound rude, but can we get the result on this please? I like this project and I'd like it to continue :) even though I don't vote

Yeah, bit irresponsible. You didn't sound rude.

The reason I haven't put votes yet is because we haven't a lot of votes, but I can still post them. There aren't many, though.

@ What Mysteria said.

We were also having slight difficulty picking out next slate aswell so if anything expect an announcement by the end of the day and or early tomorrow (sorry if I'm giving a deadline VAL and Myst, but we need to get the ball rolling).

End of the Voting Cycle(finally)is upon us!

Klutz Regigigas: 1

Normal / Ghost Porygon-Z: 8

Technician Mega-Abomasnow: 7

Baton Pass Sharpedo: 2

And by a narrow margin, the winner of this vote is Ghost/Normal Pory-Z! This means he will be added to the meta while Technician Mega Abomo waits in the wings for the runner up round!

In other news, our next slate is up!

Nasty Plot Torn-T

Steel Avalugg (ie his type has been changed to steel over ice.

Intimidate Milotic

and Poison/Steel Weezing.

To the discussion!

Last edited by a moderator:
*sees steel type avalugg*
all the physical attackers get stalled to death.
also no stealth rock weakness! Yay!
more reliable rapid spin
sp. def still sucks, but it can be patched up wth investment

Last edited:
Well theorymon leaders, I think you know which one I'm gonna vote for. But I shall explain to everyone else why I conjured up the idea.
Tornadus suffers from his most powerful Flying STAB (Hurricane) being poor outside of rain, and his only other option (Air Slash) is pretty weak. He has plenty of usable coverage moves, such as Heat Wave, Psychic, and Sludge Wave, but his lack of a good Flying STAB often forces him to go the physical route, which many mons, such as Staraptor, do better. Being a Special attacker with a now usable Flying STAB would allow him to fill a niche that is, at the moment, nearly unoccupied. Air Slash still isn't amazing, but it's still decent at +2. And with Tornadus' good Speed, he is certain to make some opponents fly into rage with those flinches.
In other news, our next slate is up!

Nasty Plot Torn-T
the fuck you talking about

Tornadus-T is B+ atm, and I thought the cutoff was C+ for a slate.
We lifted that

Initial thoughts

Nasty Plot Torn T

I fell like NP helped with sweeping, but I feel Torn T's job is a pivot/fast u turner, and NP sorta is counterproductive, forcing it to stay in to do real damage. Interesting, not the best.

Steel avalugg

Isn't steel avalugg changing its main typing, which isn't allowed? I could be wrong. But anyways, it's Mega Aggron that isn't a mega, has recovery and has rapid spin, making it amazing utility wise. Overall, REALLY solid theorymon, like physical wall chansey solid.

Intimidate Milotic

It helps it with its physical and mixed walling capabilities, but kinda gets overshadowed in this slate with Steel Avalugg IMO. Good, just not great in this slate.

Poison/Steel Weezing

This is amazing typing for a wall, and with levitate, it only has one weakness and a slew of resistances, which is really nice. It has pseudo recovery with pain split, and nice utility with will o wisp, but, again, overshadowed by avalugg.

Not sure who to vote for yet, cheers to a new slate!

All righty, serious time!

I'm trying really hard to stay objective here, but Tornadus-T is one of my least favorite pokemon, so that bias is likely to show just a little. At a glance, base 121 speed with nasty plot is great, but looking deeper, it's ability regenerator and how easily it can U-turn out for momentum does not harmonize well with set up sweeping. It's definitely possible it'll only benefit from the new role, as it could possible scout around, then clean at the end, but its coverage leaves me less than convinced as of right now.

Steel Avalugg scares me. A general counter to all physical pokemon? Yes please. Still wish it had recovery, but if that were to happen, I'd quit pokemon.

Intimidate Milotic, seems a little more realistic. Automatic -1 atk for whatever you switch into leaves you open to invest in special defense, meaning you'll check a lot. It can spread status, shut down sweepers, tank, and who knows what else. I really like this fish, even if it's not as flashy of a change as Avalugg.

Poison/Steel Weezing is pretty obviously great typing, and with its ability it's only better. WoWing anything that tries to hit it, Pain Splitting anything that tries to wall it, this is a great role player that would be interesting to use.

After initial thoughts, I'm leaning towards Milotic, but there's 3 great physical boons here, so I'm really interested in how this conversation goes.

All righty, serious time!

I'm trying really hard to stay objective here, but Tornadus-T is one of my least favorite pokemon, so that bias is likely to show just a little. At a glance, base 121 speed with nasty plot is great, but looking deeper, it's ability regenerator and how easily it can U-turn out for momentum does not harmonize well with set up sweeping. It's definitely possible it'll only benefit from the new role, as it could possible scout around, then clean at the end, but its coverage leaves me less than convinced as of right now.

Steel Avalugg scares me. A general counter to all physical pokemon? Yes please. Still wish it had recovery, but if that were to happen, I'd quit pokemon.

Intimidate Milotic, seems a little more realistic. Automatic -1 atk for whatever you switch into leaves you open to invest in special defense, meaning you'll check a lot. It can spread status, shut down sweepers, tank, and who knows what else. I really like this fish, even if it's not as flashy of a change as Avalugg.

Poison/Steel Weezing is pretty obviously great typing, and with its ability it's only better. WoWing anything that tries to hit it, Pain Splitting anything that tries to wall it, this is a great role player that would be interesting to use.

After initial thoughts, I'm leaning towards Milotic, but there's 3 great physical boons here, so I'm really interested in how this conversation goes.
Avalugg has Recover :) Edit: Damn, double ninjaed

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rest in peace, Technician Mega Abomasnow. Perhaps another slate will welcome you someday. Anyways, onto the current slate.

Nasty Plot Tornadus-T: This one is interesting to say the least, though I'm not that interested in it. On one hand, Tornadus-T can break through bulky offensive teams quite easily after a single boost. On the other hand, Air Slash is too weak, and Hurricane and Focus Blast are way too unreliable with their garbage accuracy. He does have some decent coverage options, but the lack of a reliable and powerful STAB attack can really get in the way of a sweep. I'm really iffy on this one, but there might be something that I'm missing, so I'll let other people talk about this one for me.

Steel-type Avalugg: I came up with this one, so pardon my bias. Steel-type Avalugg sheds his horrendous Ice typing and gains a plethora of resistances, as well as a Toxic immunity, which is always nice for a defensive Pokemon. His Special Defense is still pretty terrible, but his physical walling capabilities are so good now that it isn't even funny. To put it into perspective, Choice Scarf Garchomp's Earthquake is incapable of scoring a 2HKO, even after Stealth Rock damage (which Avalugg resists now). Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Intimidate Milotic: Another of my ideas, and sorry again for any bias. With Intimidate, Milotic doesn't have to rely on ResTalk to activate Marvel Scale, and can come in on physical attackers anytime. There are two reasons why Intimidate is more convenient than Marvel Scale: you don't gamble on Sleep Talk to fight back, and you can potentially give a teammate a free switch due to the enemy's Attack drop. This not only provides support for your teammates, but it also gives Milotic more freedom with her moveset. Recover obviously replaces Rest, while you have either Magic Coat or Mirror Coat for the fourth option. Magic Coat can punish Pokemon trying to go for Toxic, Stealth Rock, Taunt, etc..., while Mirror Coat punishes special attackers trying to avoid Intimidate. Simply put, this is a Theorymon where everyone on the team wins.

Poison / Steel type Weezing: Quite an interesting Theorymon. With the Steel typing, Weezing gets a buttload or resistances, but sets himself apart from other Steel-types with Levitate and a Poison typing, with the former ridding him of what would be a 4x Ground weakness, while the latter rids him of a Fighting weakness, with Fire being his only weakness, and it isn't a 4x weakness either! Sadly, his lack of recovery really hampers his staying power, and his Special Defense is still kind of bad, so he has a lot to prove to get my attention.

First time actually participating in this thread, here goes o3o

Nasty Plot Tornadus-T- Seems like a cool idea. With tornadus's awesome coverage, speed, and decent bulk, nasty plot is definitely a move it has been begging for. However, tornadus-T has some competition with thundurus as a quick nasty plotter due to lacking an electric STAB and a weaker main STAB in air slash, but its speed does allow it to outrun gengar and... more stuff idk. Also, since regenerator allows it to come in and out of the match easily, it would be able to consistently set up nasty plots and possibly force switch-ins to prevent a nasty plot. A solid choice, but damn, i want weezing o-o

Steel Avalugg Steel typing... Definitely allows avalugg to rapid spin a lot more efficiently. Losing the ice typing allows it to go from one resistance to a whopping 10! Does have some merit over some other spinners like excadrill due to its access to recover. It also isn't too shabby offensively either, with gyro ball to back up its solid 117 attack stat. It may need some support because of its abysmal special defense stat, but worth seeing imo.

Intimidate Milotic
Kinda lackluster imo... Doesn't really have the resistances to switch into physical attacks as well tbh. Scald + Recover paired with this could be pretty annoying however. Not too sure what to think about Milotic, but i guess it could do decently, being even more bulky af.

Poison/Steel Weezing
This. I. Want. This. Weezing receives many needed resistances which allow it to wall some of OU's biggest threats and WoW in return. Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Ice, Normal, Rock, Steel... just oml. Dragonite, Tyranitar, Scizor, Mamoswine, Diggersby, Salamence, and Pinsir-Mega! Weezing, however, still suffers from the lack of reliable recovery unless you like pain split. The Steel typing helps with this somewhat, allowing it to switch on threats without worrying about being worn down by hazards. Really seems like a cool choice, just kinda wondering why it would be steel type though.

So, chansey/Avalugg core going to absolutely destroy every offensive team Ive ever used? Yep, I'm definitely quitting. I still like Milotic more, but I don't see how you can not vote for this beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)