Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Pic of the day. This time, you can challenge every fighter in All-Star Mode from the moment you turn on the game!! This is a survival battle with limited recovery items and no option to continue. However, this mode will be incomplete until you've unlocked every fighter... Until then, you can only play against characters that are already available. This is a picture of the bottom-screen menu, with a padlock indicating that the mode is still incomplete.

(Comment)

In these battles, multiple opponents appear in one stage, and you clear the battle by defeating a number of them. The rest area that appears between battles displays the next opponents and the year the characters made their first appearances, and it also holds recovery items and an occasional reward. The characters you fight against appear pretty much in chronological order. Behold, the history of Nintendo games!!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Similar set up to Brawl then really, where you went form the oldest characters to the newest with Olimar. I enjoy All Star mode almost as much as the other stages. I guess in this instance its going to be a lot easier to get those trophies earlier than later? Cause you're going to have to fight more and more characters which would make it more difficult?

Similar set up to Brawl then really, where you went form the oldest characters to the newest with Olimar. I enjoy All Star mode almost as much as the other stages. I guess in this instance its going to be a lot easier to get those trophies earlier than later? Cause you're going to have to fight more and more characters which would make it more difficult?
Do you mean the all-star mode character trophy that you get for completing the mode with, say, Yoshi? It does seem to be easier this time around, though it seems like it will be insanely difficult to get for the final chactere in the roster.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Do you mean the all-star mode character trophy that you get for completing the mode with, say, Yoshi? It does seem to be easier this time around, though it seems like it will be insanely difficult to get for the final chactere in the roster.
Yeah, like you get a Trophy for Classic, Trophy for Adventure and then the Final Smash trophy for All Star? It's going to best to do your shittiest characters early :P

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You may not be able to get the trophy unless you can complete it when all characters are unlocked

This is a survival battle with limited recovery items and no option to continue.
No longer will your endless supplies of coins get you through this challenge. Intense All-Star Mode will bring back all the painful memories of completing Boss Battle Mode in Brawl

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok I have been looking over the smash 4 3DS leaked roster and am trying to figure out how this all fits together. This verion has a very interesting spread of characters by franchise and the year of that franchise, although mario is first instead of G&W for tradition I suppose. First thing to remember is that Sakurai is a menu god and will never have faults with select screens. I'm basically doing what Brawl players did when they figured out last character had to be Wolf/Krystal because of how franchises aligned.
So looking at the 3DS roster leak

-The first two rows might as well be final, there is no way anything else will fit. No Dixie, no Ridley as they push the other franchises down and split them across rows.

-Last row is likely Mii Fighter + clones 'guest characters' (shulk is 2nd party but whatever), and random for 9 in total, so bottom row can be centred when Mii Fighter isn't allowed.

-This leaves us 5 slots and I'm not even going to guess any new franchises as who can say for sure at this point. This leaves a Pokemon unlockable likely (we have always had one), and/or Wolf, since Dog and Rob can easily move down a row. Lucas would also be an easy fit at this point but the later row stuff is really tough to say for sure.

-Another possibility is a new Kid Icarus/FE/Kirby rep, pushing Little Mac down with a Star Fox or Pokemon rep filling up the fourth row. RIP either Mewtwo or Wolf (my money for wolf). I can't imagine Sakurai would be insane enough to add Hades or something for KI, and FE filled out nicely enough, Bandana Dee??? I hope not.

-Black Shadow still has a chance imo...

Anyways I'm going to look over the Wii U e3 roster and figure if there is any new puzzle there as well.

Ok I have been looking over the smash 4 3DS leaked roster and am trying to figure out how this all fits together. This verion has a very interesting spread of characters by franchise and the year of that franchise, although mario is first instead of G&W for tradition I suppose. First thing to remember is that Sakurai is a menu god and will never have faults with select screens. I'm basically doing what Brawl players did when they figured out last character had to be Wolf/Krystal because of how franchises aligned.
So looking at the 3DS roster leak

-The first two rows might as well be final, there is no way anything else will fit. No Dixie, no Ridley as they push the other franchises down and split them across rows.

-Last row is likely Mii Fighter + clones 'guest characters' (shulk is 2nd party but whatever), and random for 9 in total, so bottom row can be centred when Mii Fighter isn't allowed.

-This leaves us 5 slots and I'm not even going to guess any new franchises as who can say for sure at this point. This leaves a Pokemon unlockable likely (we have always had one), and/or Wolf, since Dog and Rob can easily move down a row. Lucas would also be an easy fit at this point but the later row stuff is really tough to say for sure.

-Another possibility is a new Kid Icarus/FE/Kirby rep, pushing Little Mac down with a Star Fox or Pokemon rep filling up the fourth row. RIP either Mewtwo or Wolf (my money for wolf). I can't imagine Sakurai would be insane enough to add Hades or something for KI, and FE filled out nicely enough, Bandana Dee??? I hope not.

-Black Shadow still has a chance imo...

Anyways I'm going to look over the Wii U e3 roster and figure if there is any new puzzle there as well.
I'd say there's a good chance of there being a KI/Kirby unlockable. Little Mac looks really out of place on that line but would fit in more stylistically on the line below.

I would argue the same about Dog/ROB being forced to below line from an unlockable Pokemon, Mewtwo confirmed!!

oh also Lucas seems p probable

Stratos

Banned deucer.
So we're either missing two characters or zero, and if two, they're from the middle two rows. Kirby has no real smashable characters besides those given.

Basically I say we're getting 2/3 of Magnus/Wolf/Mewtwo or else nothing at all, with Wolf being the least probable of the 3.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So we're either missing two characters or zero, and if two, they're from the middle two rows. Kirby has no real smashable characters besides those given.
How about Galactic Knight? He'd be like SSBB Meta Knight except more OP.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The colors seem off to me. Why give everyone a random background color if they're not going to make it line up? And why put the clones separate from their franchises? Why not put Dr. Mario with the mario characters and Dark Pitt and Lucina with their rosters? I don't think this is a straight "everything moves over one spot" anymore. Kirby's entire line may move somewhere else.

(or maybe I'm just hoping the top two rows can change to include ridley :( )

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm with you Gato in that this 3DS roster has one weird logic to it, but so far there are some rules and consistency.

Anyways looking at the Wii U E3 roster: http://i1.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ssb4-wiiu-characterselect.png

I'm thinking clones with franchises on Wii U at least, and Mario + DK reps on top line for 11 characters per row with the 3rd parties (sonic, pacman, megaman) + mii fighter/random on bottom. 10 would be too many rows and a really small bottom row, and 12 per row would also look weird. I am betting on 5 unleaked still.

11 per row would also let the second row on Wii u be Metroid/Zelda/AC/KI series which would fit 11, everything else who knows though.

Basically I say we're getting 2/3 of Magnus/Wolf/Mewtwo or else nothing at all, with Wolf being the least probable of the 3.
Considering Magnus is already an assist trophy I'm pretty sure he's the least probable

Not necessarily. The clones might eventually go back home. If that's the case, Dr Mario and Dixie (or K.rool. pls sakurai) could push Samus into a whole new row, letting Ridley pop in after. Some more rearranging would have to be done afterwards below though.

I'm not really expecting it though.

I'll also be super pissed if KI gets another rep while DK and Metroid get left for dead.

Last edited:
Layell, your talk about rosters and their movements made me look a bit harder at how the roster seems to be moving around and It's led to some interesting possibilities

So we have three rosters for the 3DS version as of now

The roster seems to never translate characters up, down, or left. New characters in the roster pop in and move others right until they bleed over to the next row. Now look at their position on the roster. They're always in the same order with characters missing inbetween. To make that a little more clear, take the leaked roster and give each character a number up to Zelda. 1 for Mario, 2 for Luigi etc until you get to 13 for Zelda. In the eshop roster their in order of 1,2,3,4,5,6,10,11,12,13 in numerical order. Check the E3 Roster and they're still in numerical order, 1,2,4,5,10,14. This also seems to be the case in Brawl, including its E3 builds, which I never noticed until I noticed this for Smash 4.

There's some interesting things we can infer knowing that. This refers to leaked characters directly so spoiler alert.

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina look like they're staying there. This is the first time ever in smash that characters haven't been grouped with the rest of their franchise. That rubs me the wrong way but there's no evidence that characters can move around in the 3DS roster.

Now, assuming that families outside of those cloned three can be grouped together, then we can predict were some newcomers can go.

• Starfox and Pokemon can have up to two character added onto the roster no problem since DHD and ROB can easily move to the next row.
  • KI, Fire Emblem, and Kirby can all have a character with Little Mach movie to the 4th row and ROB to the 5th
  • I can't seem to find anyway to add a character to the 2nd row. You need at least two characters somewhere to shove Metroid to line three. Doing this means Kirby is halfway stuck on line three, meaning you need two characters on line three. However, when you do that, all the Pokemon aren't together and you need three characters to shove them down. That's seven characters total, more than the remaining roster has space for.
  • You have the same problems moving G&W to line two with a character on line one.

Now, this all can be rendered moot if they decide to use Luigi-Pikachu style moves but that's only occurred once to my knowledge. The possibilities still there though I guess.So what if we give clones the ability to line up with the rest of their series? Let's switch Dr.Mario with G&W, move Dark Pit after Palutena, and Lucina after Robin.
  • Kirby and Dedede are stuck away from Meta Knight so we need two characters on either the second or third row to move them off (Metroid needs to move to the third row if there are characters on the second so the characters are either completely on the second row or completely on the third).
  • When we do that, Pokemon isn't completely together again so we need three characters on that row to shove them all onto row five. And what do you know? That moves every family with each other and fills up the roster completely.

Now those are all interesting observations that allows us to predict newcomer placements to an extent, but there's an alarming feature to each of these rosters. Check out the bottom row. In every roster we have the final row dedicated exclusively to Shulk and third party characters. I believe at some point I read that Shulk is technically a 2nd party character for some reason, but I don't have a source on that so feel free to debunk that. On the leak roster, there's still plenty of room for shulk to move up or lucina to move down but they don't. This makes me think that the final line of fighters might be locked to Shulk, Pacman, Mega Man, and Sonic. If that's the case then that means there's only room for one newcomer in the rest of the roster.

So this leaves us with a few different possibilities depending on what assumptions we use:
  • If the clones don't move and the bottom row is for the third parties and Shulk only, this is our final roster or there's room for a single character from any series but Mario, Donkey Kong, TLoZ, and Metroid
  • If the clones don't move and the bottom row is open to other characters, we can have up to five slots for a character from any series but Mario, Donkey Kong, TLoZ, and Metroid
  • If the clones do move with a Dr.Mario - G&W swap and Lucina and Dark Pit moving to the end of their franchises, then we can either have two characters from any character combo of Zelda, Donkey Kong and any franchise not on the smash roster or any character combo of Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and any franchise not on the smash roster. We then need three characters from any combination or Kirby, Punch-Out, Star Fox, or any new franchise not already on the smash roster.

And again, all of this can be invalidated with Pikachu-Luigi style moves so take it all with a grain of salt.

Goddamn, I took way more time with this than I should have.

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not only is it not a spoiler... but it's already marked. ;[
Well, it actually was a couple of spoilers, explained below.
Robin and Shulk technically count as villains, since Robin is the heart of Grima, the last boss of Awakening, and Shulk is being possessed by Zanza (the Monado he's wielding), the last boss of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Excellent post TheMantyke

Okay I see two pretty likely scenarios regarding 3DS roster:

a) G & W swaps places with Doctor Mario, Dark Pitt moves to after Palutena/Pitt (which puts Little Mac and Rob down a line which fits well), and Lucina after FI... which splits Kirby family down the line. This seems pretty unlikely

b) The first two rows stay exactly as are. A new Kirby character is added, forcing Little Mac down the line (seems v likely imo), and ROB down the line (also p likely). This just leaves DHD looking a little out of place so I think they will add a new character to line 4 meaning that Wolf seems very likely but an unlockable Pokemon has been tradition so I could definitely see Mewtwo here too.

The last line would get mii fighter added bringing the line up to the predicted (and almost certainly) 53!

Pic of the day. Until now, you were only able to choose from four, or sometimes five or six colors for each character. This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from! The first four color schemes for Samus are based off her Varia Suit, Fusion Suit, Gravity Suit from Super Metroid, and the Dark Suit.

(Comment 1)

…And here she is in the color schemes of the Gravity Suit from Metroid Prime, Green Samus (a regular in the Smash series), the Light Suit, and Dark Samus. A total of eight colors.

(Comment 2)

You can choose between four male and four female Villagers to play with. The designs for their faces and clothes are different. And here are the four Villagers we haven't shown you yet.

breh

強いだね
The female villager on the far right has the best face; just like "look at this fucker lol"

The one on the far left looks insane. Par for the course for villagers, I guess.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really wonder why Dark Pit was made a separate character when he could have very easily been an alternative colour scheme for Pit, yet Dark Samus and (assumingly) Dark Link are alternative colour schemes. It's not like Dark Pit has any features that are different from Pit - at least Lucina has a slightly different model instead of just a colour change, and Dr Mario has tablets instead of fire balls

3 new undeserving clone characters, and Ridley is crying in a corner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)