2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is what it is. Once again it could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

Not even mad. One match at a time, focus on only your club, and put it all out there.

Let's enjoy the season.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I don't think Welbeck is a bad signing. He contributes defensively which is helpful with midfielders like Ozil that provide 0 defense, is hardworking, his finishing is decent (had a 19.5% conversion rate last season, that's pretty good) and is also tall so he can serve as a replacement for what Giroud did. Plus, I still doubt that Alexis can play succesfully as a lone striker due to his lack of strenght/height.

welbeck is actually a great signing for arsenal, wtf? one of the highest workrates for a striker, fast, decent finishing/positioning, has like 8 years of career, but, more importantly, he's 120398x better than sanogo LOL.

also, i'm betting that he'll outscore falcao in the bpl

He improves the team but he isn't the quality of player that will help them win the title.

A team like arsenal should be trying to make progress and challenge for the title. They bought a striker who is only good enough to help them retain there annual 4th place award.

40m + for Ozil, 35m for Sanchez money isn't an excuse any more.

You need a top class striker to win titles Costa, Falcao, Aguero, Drogba, Henry, Bergkamp, Shearer, Cole, Cantona, Welbeck one of these is not like the other.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
He improves the team but he isn't the quality of player that will help them win the title.

A team like arsenal should be trying to make progress and challenge for the title. They bought a striker who is only good enough to help them retain there annual 4th place award.

40m + for Ozil, 35m for Sanchez money isn't an excuse any more.

You need a top class striker to win titles Costa, Falcao, Aguero, Drogba, Henry, Bergkamp, Shearer, Cole, Cantona, Welbeck one of these is not like the other.
Wenger was too miserly to splash the cash on Cavani and his only other target was Rémy.

Because once again left it late.

I'm just glad as a fifa player.. we have a striker with pace.. and I don't have to put Walcott up top.

Been busy the last few days. Anyway, transfers...

Before everything else, I just have to say that I cannot believe Wenger has not brought in a defender. I honestly thought a striker was not necessary. We have Podolski, Sanogo, Walcott, Campbell and Alexis. I would have been fine seeing any one of them go through the middle because without Giroud's injury when else were they going to get their chance? That's what they're there for. But a defender was an absolute must when you look at the squad! We have Debuchy for RB, Mert and Koscielny for CB and Gibbs and Monreal for LB. And 19 yr old Chambers as a utility man. That's it. Holy fuck balls what if Koscielny is sent off and Mert snaps his achilles. I distinctly remember this happening last season. How the fuck can Wenger not buy a CB?? It would make sense if there is a young exciting defender waiting to step up but after years of grooming Miquel and flirting with the first team, it has just been decided that he is not good enough and he has been sold to Norwich... So we literally have no one else. The RB spot might be OK cos we have Bellerin but our only two backups to the whole fucking defence is Chambers and Bellerin... I thought Wenger couldn't surprise me any more but the man just keeps on delivering time and again.

Welbeck. When we got linked with him a couple of weeks ago I thought yeah that sounds eerily like the sort of thing that floats Wenger's boat. Like latinoheat said, he's welcome to the squad but he's not going to improve it. Like Giroud, he is a decent mid table striker and I'm sure he'll get 15-20 goals playing regularly. Giroud is a 20 goal striker at Arsenal, Chamakh got 11 goals in half a season when RVP was injured. Bendtner comes up with 10 goals even with just bench appearances. But a top striker like RVP and Henry bangs in 30+ and 40+. What I hope is that he will bring us back to the level we were at with Giroud and that means we can compete, but I can't hope for any more. Is Real Madrid, or Bayern or Barcelona, or even Chelsea, City or Liverpool going to be looking at Arsenal and thinking oh shit they have Welbeck... He is a Man Utd man through and through, he's been there since he was in nappies, they have enough excuses to keep him around so for them to sell him shows they clearly don't think he's good enough.

On the bright side, if anyone can improve a mediocre player to a cold blooded goal machine, it's Wenger - in my eyes the best striker coach in the world. Henry never dreamed he'd be a striker, Van Persie wasn't even any good and was cast out by Feyenoord. Walcott has no brain and he is already halfway there. The easiest way to sum this up is: if any Arsenal fans are excited by this signing, it's because of what Welbeck could potentially be, not what he is now.

edit: sorry for the Arse rant, I'll rant about other transfers when I think of them

so apparently we're getting Valdes, from one of the worst passing keepers I've seen to one of the best, would be interesting too see who starts (if I'm honest in fine with mignolet, he is a amazing shot stopper, though it would be nice not to have to have my heart in my mouth at every single corner!)

HBK

Reina>Mignolet imo I never got why they even bought him in the first place.

Tom Cleverley shipped off to Villa until January \o/
hopefully a clause in there that means he must play against us :P

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
so apparently we're getting Valdes, from one of the worst passing keepers I've seen to one of the best, would be interesting too see who starts (if I'm honest in fine with mignolet, he is a amazing shot stopper, though it would be nice not to have to have my heart in my mouth at every single corner!)
Lol that's not gonna change with Valdes, he's always been terrible at corners

Can't wait for next week EPL games. Also poor Rooney the calls for him to be dropped after the last signing are getting louder, and it will only go downhill for him if RVP gets fit again.

HBK

Nah, Van Persie will struggle to reclaim his place imo especially if Falcao's scoring for fun.

De Gea;
Blind, Jones, Rojo, Shaw;
Herrera, Di Maria;
Rooney, Mata;
Falcao, RVP.

Herrera replaces Carrick, Di Maria box-to-box, Rooney and Mata with free roles and the big guns up front. Like City's fluid front 4 with Di Maria as Toure. Have I missed anyone?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
A Herrera-Di Maria midfield looks terribly weak defensively especially with 4 attackers that don't track back. The ideal formation imo would be a 4-4-2 (midfield diamond) with Blind/Carrick as the pivot, Di Maria and Herrera on the sides and Mata (or Rooney?) on the top of the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)