XY RU HAND GRENADE [peaked #1]

Introduction​

Hwello frens, I'm back with another RMT this time it's a much more serious team. I wasn't sure whether to post this or not for a while now but somehow this team got spread around a lot, despite me only giving it to a few people, this made me decide to RMT it. If you have played RU in the past few months, chances are you've played against this team. It was created back in the Shuckle suspect period and with a few friends, we managed to get reqs quickly and easily. After Shuckle left, Molk continued using the team and managed to go 40-0 on the ladder, which is where I assume most people copied the team from and eventually this pretty much became the "standard non-Zoroark offense" due to it's ability to quickly and efficiently break down teams. The team is centered around Choice Specs Meloetta, Speed Boost Yanmega and Dugtrio due to it being able to trap and kill the very few Pokemon in the tier that can switch into both Meloetta and Yanmega. This was an offensive core that was largely unexplored at the time and has had a definite influence on shaping the RU metagame that we have today.

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Playing some XY NU early on and having alot of success with Weak Armor Omastar really made me want to try this out in RU. Omastar is great at giving me early game momentum and pressuring common Defog Pokemon such as Gligar and Golbat who might try and come in early game to remove hazards. Weak Armor is a nice ability to have, with it Omastar can outspeed Delphox after being hit with a physical move and this can often result in letting me get an extra hazard. Scald is the obvious choice as far as a STAB move goes, potentially letting me burn various Pokemon can often be invaluable, Ice Beam is chosen as the last move to allow me to deal decent damage to Grass types that commonly try to come in and also lets me OHKO any random lead Yanmega or Shiftry who could otherwise freely Defog.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Doublade finds itself on the team just as it does on many teams due it's great ability to not only block Rapid Spin but to also check many dangerous offensive threats in the tier all the while being a huge threat offensively to other teams with Swords Dance and priority in Shadow Sneak. Doublade serves as the main answer to most of the Fighting and Psychic type Pokemon in the tier, namely things like Cobalion, Virizion, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Gallade and Cresselia can all be checked with ease thanks to Doublade's great bulk and Steel/Ghost typing. Doublade also serves as the teams best answer to opposing Speed Boost Yanmega which would otherwise give this team huge problems. The EV's let Doublade out pace base 40's such as Rhyperior and let Doublade have a much easier time getting passed if it boosts as they switch in.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Hitmonlee was an obvious choice for this team, with a 4x SR weak Pokemon and Spikes of my own Defog just wasn't an option for this team. Naturally Hitmonlee is a great fit, being the best offensive Rapid Spinner in the tier and also having the ability to wallbreak with a ridiculously strong High Jump Kick that's powered up by Reckless. Knock Off is just an amazing move on Hitmonlee and destroys almost all Ghost and Psychic types that might try to come in expecting a Fighting move, Mach Punch lets me pick off weakened Pokemon while also letting me revenge things like Sharpedo that have the potential to be huge threats. Rapid Spin rounds out the set and helps support Yanmega but there were multiple times when a spin wasn't needed because Yanmega was able to win the game with 50% health anyway.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic

Dugtrio is the most important member of the team and one of the biggest the reasons why the team is as effective as it is. Dugtrio supports both Yanmega and Meloetta better than any other Pokemon in the RU tier by trapping the one Pokemon that troubles both most: Registeel, eliminating it from the game and clearing the way for either to break down the rest of the team. Dugtrio also has much more utility outside of just trapping Registeel however, it also has the ability to trap and kill Pokemon such as Drapion, Magneton and Delphox while also being able to get off big damage on things such as Escavalier. The EV's allow Dugtrio to out pace base 115's since there's nothing relevant faster than that which Dugtrio could trap with the rest placed in Hp to give Dugtrio a little more bulk. Toxic is chosen in the last slot to allow me to trap annoying walls such Alomomola and can also let me Toxic Defog Gligar that commonly switch in after Dugtrio has killed something.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Choice Specs Meloetta is one of my favourite Choice users in the entire RU tier. Meloetta has a great base 128 Special Attack that's coupled with a respectable Speed stat which give Meloetta all the tools it needs to be a huge threat. Meloetta also has 128 Special Defence along with 100 Base Hp which allow it to function as a relatively bulky but speedy wallbreaker. Psychic is chosen over Psyshock due to higher base power and having the chance to 2HKO Doublade on the switch, Hyper Voice offers a secondary STAB option and is also great since it can go through Substitute, Shadow Ball is chosen as the coverage move and allows Meloetta to check Doublade with it easily OHKO'ing. U-turn is the obvious choice in the last slot as it can bait in Registeel and let you immediately go to Dugtrio, trapping it and killing it. A Timid nature was chosen to allow Meloetta to speed tie with other base 90's such as Moltres who pose a huge threat to the rest of the team.

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball

The last slot on the team belongs to Yanmega, easily one of the most dangerous Pokemon in RU. If the rest of the team has done it's job correctly it should be in a position to end the game (esp vs opposing offense) or weaken the opposing team to the point that something else can finish it off. Bug Buzz coming from Yanmega is just insane and as an added bonus this gen it also hits through Substitute making many Protect mind games irrelevant, Air Slash is a solid secondary STAB move and also has the chance to flinch if you're feeling lucky n bad, Shadow Ball is used as the coverage move over something like Giga Drain to allow Yanmega to blow right past one of it's most common offensive checks: Doublade. The EV's allow Yanmega to outspeed Jolteon at +1 with the rest added to Hp to give it's already decent bulk an extra boost. A 4x Fighting resist is also nice to have and can often check various fighting types if SR isn't up.

Conclusion
So yeah that's the team. Generally it's solid and has been pretty consistent over the past few months but it definitely has it's flaws. SD Zoroark is probably the biggest threat just like to almost all HO as if it gets +2 the game is basically over and has the potential to do so for free when disguised as something, you can however play around it. I was going to consider revamping this for RU open but yeah too many people know the team so I'm probably just going to retire it as Yanmega leaves the tier. Shoutouts to RU community, IDM, Midnight Squad and all my other friends you know who you are :].

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey New Breed really cool team! You know i know this from experience as you've watched me ladder to get reqs in RU with it. It really is a solid team that doesn't have much room for change. I did however find myself missing Giga Drain on Yanmega half the time vs fat teams and pokemon like Rhyperior. With Meloetta having Shadow Ball which destroys Doublade and Psychic 2HK0ing it with Spikes and Stealth Rock, I feel that it wouldn't be a bad change. It brought me a lot more success and that's why i'm suggesting it.

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain

Anyway, super solid team like legit lol. Hope i helped! Though idk if i could since like i said it's solid and i have played a bunch with it okay i'm done now lol.

Ok, I've been using this team for a little while and it doesn't beat sharpedo, I've been laddering with it and I've won about 2 games going against sharpedo teams. Maybe im using the team wrong but you have to preserve hitmonlee to beat sharpedo, and not get damage on it. preserving your rapid spinner is hard work especially with yanmega on your team. and its not only preserving the pokemon its preserving it with a high hp or else LO aqua jet will knock you out. 252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 148-175 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, and sharpedo ohkos the rest of your team with waterfall/crunch.

Ok, I've been using this team for a little while and it doesn't beat sharpedo, I've been laddering with it and I've won about 2 games going against sharpedo teams. Maybe im using the team wrong but you have to preserve hitmonlee to beat sharpedo, and not get damage on it. preserving your rapid spinner is hard work especially with yanmega on your team. and its not only preserving the pokemon its preserving it with a high hp or else LO aqua jet will knock you out. 252+ Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 148-175 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, and sharpedo ohkos the rest of your team with waterfall/crunch.
if you see sharpedo, try your best to preserve lee

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
This is a fantastic team. I built a very similar one and the biggest gripe I had with it (other than LO Zoroark) was that Dugtrio just simply doesn't hit hard enough with Earthquake to take out stall as efficiently as I would like. Toxic is a cool idea, though (I used CB).

I am going to suggest Scarf Heliolisk over Yanmega since Yanmega is now banned:

Heliolisk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot/Surf
-Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire

Volt Switch forms a Volt-Turn core with Meloetta. Thunderbolt is the main cleaning STAB. Grass Knot and Surf both hit Rhyperior hard, but Grass Knot does more against Gastro and Seismitoad, while Surf does more to Magmortar and Dugtri. Finally, the last move is for specific coverage against certain threats. HP Ground nails Magneton, while HP Fire hurts Ferroseed and Escavalier.

Great team otherwise :)

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Actually, now with the release of the new 1760 RU Combined sets, there seem to be two primary options that could replace Yanmega: Sharpedo and Virizion. What I did was dig through the "teammates" section of the 5 current mons and tried to find common teammates outside of the teammates you currently have and those that are now banned, and Sharpedo and Virizion stood out as common partners beyond everything else. Sharpedo fulfills Yanmega's role as a cleaner, and Virizion helps against Sharpedo. I'll test more tonight and see if anything beyond the standard sets would be optimal, but those would be my two picks to replace Yanmega. It's still a very effective team even if half the RU ladder runs some type of variant of this team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)