Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to see if there's any chance of a re-evaluation of the "only evolution families from the OU Viability Rankings" restriction, seeing as you're deciding on the first gym leader. OU is obviously the flagship of Smogon and is definitely the tier that should be the frameworks for the latter stages of the game, but while that list is extensive, there's still not that many mons available to choose from when building solid gym teams, as well as creating a large variety among the various NPC trainers one would face. If a Pokemon can be found early in the game, that already may be a sign that it's not too great of a choice, and surely we could adjust the EXP curve so that it's easy to train mons to acceptable levels while still making it difficult to grind to obscene levels in order to beat tough trainers (BW was a good example in this regard, pity they changed that in XY).

And since I'm already spewing out opinions, I believe that Gym trainers shouldn't have too much variety in their teams, as their primary purpose is to show the player what their type is capable of, or teach them how to handle it. So personally I'd only want to see Monotype gym trainers, but if you choose to stick with the earlier 'clause' (only OU Viabilities), then compromises like using mons whose earlier stages have been of the gym's type, or where their moveset must have a move of said type, could be used. But using mons that has no connection to the gym's theme in their typing, movepool or origin seems just silly to me.

Edit: Elite Fours are excluded from that rule, as they're technically not gym leaders, and instead just strong trainers that prefer a particular type.

Town Name Proposal:
Either Tiemsix City due to the Forest or Ordland City. Base words of "ordinary" and "land" for the gym type. Normal, ordinary. Land because it works :p

Badge Name Proposal:
Simple Badge. Works with the normal typing

Howdy yall, and welcome to another wrap up: this time of Ordland City!

Ordland Wrap up!

In this town is an assortment of things, from an old man who proclaims his efficiency to changing the weather, a man who has his research stolen by team luck sack on overpowered pokemon, and people who say they saw the Luck Sack on the tv! Most important of all though, is the normal type gym, housed by Subject 18!

Due to some lack of discussion, we dont even know the full contents of the town itself! There is a magikarp salesman outside the PokeMart, hoping to sell it to you for a quick bundel, and then there is the gym itself. In it houses one trainer, but he himself can be bypassed if you really want to (basically just walk around him) to go and fight Subject 18. The team 18 will use will be:

-Fletchinger
-Bunnelby
-Clefairy
-Chansey
-Gliger
-Loudred

With Protect being the TM of choice along with the Steppe Badge (no design for it tho).

After winning the badge you leave the town to head to the next route, and encounter your rival (not if you had tried leaving before, the rival stops ya and sends you back to the gym if you hadnt gotten the badge yet) who challenges you to a battle (after getting the badge). After losing, they run off, proclaiming they have got to do more research to not get embarassed like that again....

Soon that will be followed by a guy chasing after some Luck Sack grunts riding off in a helicopter, for which he proclaims the hooligans stole his research. Poor guy....

And thats pretty much what we got from our discussion. Expect a post from Cho soon on some important matters.

My only request is for Vs Seeker to be put into this town somehow, just because that gym looks positively brutal (namely, that defensive core is gonna be hell to break without any attack boosting moves or items) and grinding wild mons is just plain boring. We don't want to be boring. Challenging yes, but not boring.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
When I said "team", I meant that the said leader would decide the move set and EV's, under certain conditions that is(like only 64 Max EV's in one stat, and only a total of say 140 EV's to be used). Just saying this could help reflect the mindset of the actual leader

What if the Magikarp given to you by the salesman was holding Gyaradosite? You wouldn't be able to use it yet though because you would need a Mega Ring.

What if the Magikarp given to you by the salesman was holding Gyaradosite? You wouldn't be able to use it yet though because you would need a Mega Ring.
I'd prefer if we waited until latish game before handing out mega stones. Atm, the only thing preventing megamons from being blatantly OP in OU is the fact that they are without an item, and that's a significant handicap. At this point, the only items we really have are berries.

Also, while Magikarp does have a pretty hefty exp curve, it still evolves at level 20, we can expect the player to have gyarados by 2nd gym. Do we really want him to have a megados by then?

In X and Y, you receive a mega stone relatively early. You couldn't use it then though because you required a Mega Ring. We could add an event in the game when one is given to you, maybe near the 3rd or 4th gym.

In X and Y, you receive a mega stone relatively early. You couldn't use it then though because you required a Mega Ring. We could add an event in the game when one is given to you, maybe near the 3rd or 4th gym.

Yet how easy was it to be able to steamroll the games with little or no thought with those early mega stones?

And that Mega broke the game totally and utterly.
Seriously, I had Yvetial on my team, and Mega Luke was more powerful.
Maaaaybe implement Megas at that point but IF (and only if) the enemy trainers (I.E Gym Leaders and your Rival for that point, and maybe a Luck-Sack Admin using Mega Kanga on the final encounter) have them too. Seriously, Lucario BROKE X/Y more than the fucking EXP Share... Somehow
Edit: again, it did break XY. Also I got Salaninjad

Maybe we can give out the Mega Stones throughout the game and the Mega Ring ends up being one you pull off the cold dead hands of the TLS Leader who would have like either Mega Gengar or Mega Kangaskhan (one of the most broken Megas around). So, it's collected after the "plot" is done but the stones are just randomly found throughout

And that Mega broke the game totally and utterly.
Seriously, I had Yvetial on my team, and Mega Luke was more powerful.
Maaaaybe implement Megas at that point but IF (and only if) the enemy trainers (I.E Gym Leaders and your Rival for that point, and maybe a Luck-Sack Admin using Mega Kanga on the final encounter) have them too. Seriously, Lucario BROKE X/Y more than the fucking EXP Share... Somehow
Edit: again, it did break XY. Also I got Salaninjad
Saleninja'd* No a buddy :P

On the topic of mega stones: I think the majority of gym types, Normal being the exception so far, are going to be wanting Megas somewhere in their lineup. Mega Evolution is a rather iconic and defining element of gen 6, and building certain gym teams without one (Fire comes to mind) would result in a subpar team; in contrast, if you introduce an opposing Xzard when the players don't have Mega Evolutions themselves yet, the player is fighting a stacked battle (against something that isn't TLS) - from a balance standpoint, I think early game should be loaded with gyms of types that won't utilize the mega slot, then as soon as gyms will start running Megas (midgame?) the player should be able to as well. Honestly it shouldn't be as big a deal to have a Mega here as in X/Y anyway, those games had it as more of an easy button than as a precedent for what you should be using to clear the game.

I think the more troubling issue with Mega introduction is that if only one stone is presented to the player, such as with the Magikarp+Gyaradosite suggestion, then the player is forced into building a team around Mega Gyarados. The way I see it, the healthiest approach is to make multiple (all?) stones available together when we get to that point, so as not to needlessly restrict the teambuilding process.

Last edited:
I like the idea of introducing Mega Stones early to build anticipation and excitement, but giving them the mega ring later so they can't steamroll through the game easily. By the time they aquire the mega ring, they should be facing gym leaders who also have access to this and use it to their advantage.

Not gonna lie, I kinda forgot you needed a mega ring to use the mega evolution. I think we can all agree that the reason that mega evolutions are balanced is that they cannot wield the same powerful items that non-megas wield, yes? So I propose that the mega ring be introduced at around the same time these items are readily available to the player (as in shop items, not random crap you find on the ground, as many teams utilize multiple copies of the same item).

The fact that mega evolutions are gated by the mega ring eases the pressure off of trying to get the timing of each individual mega stone correct considerably, so we could, from a balance standpoint at least, begin introducing mega stones as early as now.

That being said, given the fact that megamons are a defining part of the meta, I think that the method for obtaining their stones should be a bit more climatic then getting ripped off by a huckster.

Not gonna lie, I kinda forgot you needed a mega ring to use the mega evolution. I think we can all agree that the reason that mega evolutions are balanced is that they cannot wield the same powerful items that non-megas wield, yes? So I propose that the mega ring be introduced at around the same time these items are readily available to the player (as in shop items, not random crap you find on the ground, as many teams utilize multiple copies of the same item).

The fact that mega evolutions are gated by the mega ring eases the pressure off of trying to get the timing of each individual mega stone correct considerably, so we could, from a balance standpoint at least, begin introducing mega stones as early as now.

That being said, given the fact that megamons are a defining part of the meta, I think that the method for obtaining their stones should be a bit more climatic then getting ripped off by a huckster.
I agree. Those who picked Charmander in particular are going to want that Mega Stone and ring soon as they start coming up against stronger Mons. Anywhere after gym 4 I m happy to get the Mega Ring

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Megas.....well i can't be much critical about how X/Y did it, having not played it myself, but almost everyone must have heard that Mega Luke steamrolled the game. Maybe we could have the Mega Stone present whenever you wish like(i'm having no say to that), but maybe we could have the Mega Ring given to us by someone who's evaluating us, someone like Steven from RSE or the Medal Guy from BW, who meets us for the first time when we get the first Mega Stone, and tells about Mega Evolution, the Mega Ring, and that we shall get one when we've been deemed worthy of it, which could be whenever other gyms have Pokemon with Mega formes(or forms, the C&C got me confused).

Megas.....well i can't be much critical about how X/Y did it, having not played it myself, but almost everyone must have heard that Mega Luke steamrolled the game. Maybe we could have the Mega Stone present whenever you wish like(i'm having no say to that), but maybe we could have the Mega Ring given to us by someone who's evaluating us, someone like Steven from RSE or the Medal Guy from BW, who meets us for the first time when we get the first Mega Stone, and tells about Mega Evolution, the Mega Ring, and that we shall get one when we've been deemed worthy of it, which could be whenever other gyms have Pokemon with Mega formes(or forms, the C&C got me confused).
The problem with XY is that they gave you an ubers level mon at gym three for absolutely free. By gym 3 in XY, powerful items like choice stuff and LO are generally not available to the player, giving the player 0 reason to not run megacario.

Like I said, we should time the mega ring with the introduction of powerful, OU viable items like the aforementioned choice stuff, eviolite, and LO.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
From what i gathered, i think we both agree that Megas shouldn't be available in the near future, and neither their possibility(which would otherwise compromise teambuilding if i'm praying for ZardX). I think the same should be said for Choice items and Life Orb, though i think we can have Expert Belts by the next gym atleast.
Eviolite also should be available by next gym imo, 'cos after that the only Eviolite viable thing left will be Chansey. I think we should shift the talks to Town Structure, so that Turtleye will have a rough idea to work on.(i'm bad at these so i'll silently spectate and throw a like here and there)

From what i gathered, i think we both agree that Megas shouldn't be available in the near future, and neither their possibility(which would otherwise compromise teambuilding if i'm praying for ZardX). I think the same should be said for Choice items and Life Orb, though i think we can have Expert Belts by the next gym atleast.
Eviolite also should be available by next gym imo, 'cos after that the only Eviolite viable thing left will be Chansey. I think we should shift the talks to Town Structure, so that Turtleye will have a rough idea to work on.(i'm bad at these so i'll silently spectate and throw a like here and there)
Sorry I've been dead as fuck for these weeks.
School started, I got a job and the football season started so yea...
I'll try and work on it thou

Sorry I've been dead as fuck for these weeks.
School started, I got a job and the football season started so yea...
I'll try and work on it thou
FOOTBALL!!!

......in other news, it isn't solely your job man. It should be anyone who can sprite and we would take the most liked idea. Tack it up to more lack of participation on that front so but don't worry. Its fine if ya coud but don't put it as solely your job. :D

SparksBlade

Community Leader
MU for CL yeah we don't have many artists. We've turtleye for the maps-thingy(towns and routes basically) and cataclyptic's doing sprites. So counting these 2 we've only 2 artists. Maybe someone from the art block of smogon could be called over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)