Metagame ORAS/XY PU (Serperior Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some replays I had from laddering :

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-159636424
Initialy we both traded hazards and members. I wanted to get ridd of his hazard setter, Whirlpede, asap and then when I had nothing to take Ninjask's hard hits I sac'ed my defogger. Then I let my Sneasel die too soon as it could win 1vs1 against the troublesome Sliggoo which resulted in fun end-game stall war.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-159640052
Between Fake Out Persian, Toxic Mantine and Aromatherapy Serpirior this team gave me a lot of trouble. Many good plays mid-game imo.

note: a small mention of topping the new ladder for a while until my 1st loss on my 6th match. :P

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Something interesting to note is the lack of spikes users in the tier. Accelgor, Cacturne, Crustle, Ferroseed, and Qwilfish are all NU. The best we have I believe is Garbordor, which is by no means a bad Pokemon, just that we've lost the move a lot. One pokemon I don't see as much is Ursaring. It has two powerful abilities that change it from a powerful wall breaker to a fast late game sweeper. It is somewhat outclassed by Tauros and Bouffalant, but it still hits very hard with a boosted Facade (even further boosted by Guts)

Something interesting to note is the lack of spikes users in the tier. Accelgor, Cacturne, Crustle, Ferroseed, and Qwilfish are all NU. The best we have I believe is Garbordor, which is by no means a bad Pokemon, just that we've lost the move a lot.
Roselia is a great spiker, very specialy bulky with Natural Cure and many utilities like Sleep Powder, Aromatherapy, self healing Rest.
Glalie also works well as a somewhat suicide lead spiker with Taunt, Explosion and a decent speed tier of 80.
I've seen Whirlpede being used as well and maybe Maractus is worth a try.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Roselia is a great spiker, very specialy bulky with Natural Cure and many utilities like Sleep Powder, Aromatherapy, self healing Rest.
Glalie also works well as a somewhat suicide lead spiker with Taunt, Explosion and a decent speed tier of 80.
I've seen Whirlpede being used as well and maybe Maractus is worth a try.
So basically Roselia, Garbordor, Maractus, Glalie, and Whirlipede are the only spikers in the tier. Out of those 5, only the first 2 look like they provide synergy. I've used Glalie, and it ain't all that hot.

Sounds cool! Always wanted to use those Pokes in battle. So, what does PU even stand for?
Doesn't really have a meaning. Just know that these Pokemon stink. P-U.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, the PU ladder is now live on Showdown. Here's the banlist for the next three months (though I leave it to WhiteDMist to decide on whether to implement a "BL4"):

PU Banlist:
Accelgor, Archeops, Armaldo, Audino, Cacturne, Cradily, Crustle, Cryogonal, Dragalge, Electivire, Exeggutor, Feraligatr, Ferroseed, Golurk, Gorebyss, Granbull, Gurdurr, Hariyama, Jynx, Kangaskhan, Klinklang, Lanturn, Leafeon, Liepard, Lilligant, Ludicolo, Magmortar, Malamar, Mesprit, Miltank, Mismagius, Muk, Omastar, Pangoro, Pawniard, Primeape, Probopass, Pyroar, Qwilfish, Regirock, Rhydon, Rotom, Rotom-Fan, Samurott, Sandslash, Sawk, Sceptile, Seismitoad, Shiftry, Slurpuff, Spiritomb, Steelix, Swellow, Torkoal, Typhlosion, Uxie, Vileplume, Vivillon, Weezing, Xatu, Zangoose

Earlier in the thread, it was said that Sticky Web would be a great gamechanger. I feel that PU has a great Sticky Web setter in Kricketune. Kricketune unlike other possible setters such as Ariados isn't dead weight against other play-styles such as Stall or something. I've used this set in RU and it works well and gets Sticky Web up majority of the time.

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Sticky Web
- Endeavor

Getting Sticky Web up due to Sash and Taunt to shut down any possible lead hazard setter such as Golem getting up Stealth Rock or Gigalith. Once the sash is broken, Endeavor prevents it from being dead weight as it has the potential to bring a Pokemon down to 1 HP in range for it to be KO'd by Knock Off, or RK'd by something else in the team. Some good partners that I've noticed good be, Scyther, Rampardos, Tauros, Chatot and a bunch of others.

Another offensive play-style I can see being good could include Trick Room. There are a lot of slow hard hitting Pokemon such as Rampardos, Bouffalant and Ursaring. . There are also some set up sweepers they would like Trick Room support such as Beheeyem (Nasty Plot) and Musharna (Calm Mind) who can set up Trick Room themselves. Just thought I'd share some of this. :]

Hey guys, I've played PU first of the born in New Metas, and I can say that Scyther is OP. His Speed is one of the highest in PU and his Attack too. Is pretty bulky, sure he takes hit from PU pokes. This thing whit the Choice Band sweeps easy pokemons that hasn't high Defences. I hope it will get ban from PU and NU.

Hey guys, I've played PU first of the born in New Metas, and I can say that Scyther is OP. His Speed is one of the highest in PU and his Attack too. Is pretty bulky, sure he takes hit from PU pokes. This thing whit the Choice Band sweeps easy pokemons that hasn't high Defences. I hope it will get ban from PU and NU.
Scyther is not a problem at all if you can keep rocks up, choice band sets u-turn so they are worn down in a heartbeat by stealth rocks. Now if we REALLY want to talk about a fucking borked mon that needs bl4 it's sneasel it has literally no safe switch ins due to knock off bar resttalk poliwrath which is viable however forces playstyles such as HO to have to run one or be absolutely annihilated by sneasel which is not fair at all. A lot of people want a sneasel suspect and there is no downside to one.

Just gonna drop this here for my own penis tuggin http://gyazo.com/6f8805900c58e56bad1de8a0006778ef
I didn't realize I was top 10 on the ladder until I saw this!

One Pokemon I've been using is Regigigas. 110/110/110 defenses with just one weakness is quite nice, and its main selling point imo, so it's best to capitalize on the defensive stats. Regigigas's major flaw is it's weird movepool. Firstly it has no recovery moves (although if it did it probably wouldn't be PU in the first place). It would kill for Recover, or even Synthesis. It also doesn't get Protect or Detect so you can't even get extra health from Leftovers.

I look at the usage statistics and see most people use Adamant Regigigas with EVs in Attack, which is ridiculous in my opinion. If you're using max attack Regigigas you may as well just use Lickilicky or someone like that instead. Even with max attack it's not very strong (unless you somehow manage to stay in 5 consecutive turns, which rarely happens, and when it does you're usually on low health and statused or something, it's not something people should count on happening...). I also see people using Drain Punch which I think is pointless, it's just so weak. If people are using Regigigas it's best in my opinion to use utility moves like parafusion and Knock Off, with one attacking move (Return and Thunderbolt are probably the best ones). Regigigas is great as a panic button for when a sweeper has set up, it's so bulky that it can paralyze/Knock Off almost anything you want it to in my experience, sometimes even Pokemon that have started setting up which you desperately need to cripple to beat.

It has some other flaws apart from its movepool and weak-ish offenses. A big one is that it often can't do anything when the opponent sets up a substitute. But overall I think it's pretty good.

Holiday

on my best behavior
Shoutouts to whoever edited my double post bc I tried to edit it but I was on mobile ;n;

Aside from Ursaring, a Pokemon I want to use more is Tauros. I haven't really touched it but it's like A or A+ iirc. What are the popular sets? I think it's a Naive LO set with Rock Climb/EQ/Fire Blast/ZHB. Help appreciated.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ive really been enjoying playing this recently and here are some of my observations other than how fagtron is luck n bad:

SNEASEL: This thing is a monster, life orb 4 attacks is amazing, but another less used set which i am enjoying is eviolite + swords dance. It actually can take a hit with eviolite, and knock off at +2 has a 60% chance of ohko'ing 252/252+ mush. This is the best mon in the tier, but i dont know if we can call it broken yet (having two counters might not be enough)

MUSHARNA: Probably the 2nd best mon in the tier. Bulky calm mind sets can easily set up and sweep whilst twave bulky ones are annoying af. The calm mind set works so well as it has amazing defence (esp with 252/252+), backed up by uncommon physical weaknesses (knock off sneasel and bug bite scyther only relevant ones).

Hazards are a big problem as we have a lot of stealth rockers (golem, bastiodon), 3 nice spikers (roselia, garbodor, glalie) and kriketune and leavanny but not too many ways to clear them. Spinners: Spinda and delibird are trash, otherwise avalugg, wartortle and er tentacool? staryu? Wartortle is the only one that can get passed blockers (dusclops is only relevant one iirc) with forsight, but other than that it is pretty much set up fodder. Defoggers: Swanna/peliper/mantine, all have their own niches (faster more offensive/bulky with roost/special tank) and togetic is very good. Other defogers that could work are arcticuno, vullaby, driftblim and viabra (murkow cant have prankster + defog). note: Knock off snadshrew/kabuto does not work lol: 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabuto Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Eviolite Dusclops: 101-122 (35.5 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. That is life orb with max attack .__.

Ive also noticed a lack of STAB knock off users. Yes sneasel but otherwise, krokorok? scraggy? zoroa?!!

Also what i have found, there are tons of niche mons. Obviously your standard sneasel/mush/tauros, but also cool stuff like kecleon, simi's or wormadam. This really has a nice range of pokes (although this might be to do with the tier being the bottom/new one) and im really enjoying this, the best singles tier rn.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anty, I'm confused as what you say Sneasel's TWO counters are. Care to tell us?
Im not sure counter was the right term or what ever, but as far as im concerned there is monferno and polwrath. The former is rather niche, although gets slack off, whilst the latter is useful outside walling sneasel (there might be more, i could only think of two from the top of my head)

Poliwrath is definately a Sneasel counter, Sneasel cannot touch this thing at all. Monferno on the other hand, I don't know how many times that thing can constantly switch in on Weavile as it doesn't have the best defenses.

Im not sure counter was the right term or what ever, but as far as im concerned there is monferno and polwrath. The former is rather niche, although gets slack off, whilst the latter is useful outside walling sneasel (there might be more, i could only think of two from the top of my head)
Avalugg is the best counter for Sneasel, but he hasn't SpD, so if your opponent kills him Sneasel sweeps easy, if u don't run a scarf poke.

Anty

let's drop
Poliwrath is definately a Sneasel counter, Sneasel cannot touch this thing at all. Monferno on the other hand, I don't know how many times that thing can constantly switch in on Weavile as it doesn't have the best defenses.
It actually can due to slack off + it threatens out sneasel by its dual stab:
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 94-110 (34.9 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 94-110 (28.3 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Monferno: 58-70 (17.4 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO

You will be running a bulky set tho

0 Atk Iron Fist Monferno Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sneasel: 268-324 (106.7 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Im not sure what it does outside walling sneasel tho.

Theriouhh Your right, i completely for got about avalugg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)