The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure it was that the ice was disabling him, not causing him to fall through its weight.

And yeah I know avatar physics are weird but it just bugs me in particular that they resort to using real-world shit in a way that's not really.... sensible. Like fuck firebending apparently packs force to it (as you see in pro bending matches or just Mako in general) but I'm willing to accept some bullshit explanation for that; the metal-related inconsistencies bother me in a way I can't define.
I said some bit about this a while back, but the creators have messed up a bit with metalbending. It turned into a bit of a plot convenience this season, same with fire breathing. I'm willing to accept fantasy reasons for anything, but if there starts to be a scientific explanation brought in, it better be 100% logical.

Idk what it really was about this season. Maybe I'm just unique, but I found season 1 to be the best with season 2 being awful. This season's overall goal (kill avatar in specific manner, kill leaders, spread anarch) was pretty good, and each individual episode aside from tenzins were excellent as well. But the way the episodes connected to each other felt way off. It's like they either forced too much in too few episodes or they could have done the main plot in fewer ones, but the way it felt just seemed bad.

This season was full of plot conveniences to make the season go a specific way without making the episodes bad (people's changing fighting strength, avatar state being instant victory but never used, firebreathing to escape the earth army Hannibal lector restraints, ghazan not being able to capture Korra because of two earthbenders, zaheer not drugging Korra ever again, THE POISON being convenient in every way). After every episode I thought "wow, that was great! But why didn't they just do that before?"

I was just thinking about how every element has a sub-mastery and a ability that they gain from that element:
Earthbending sub-mastery -> metalbending
-ability -> an extended sense as toph described with the badgermoles

Airbending sub-mastery -> astral projection apparently (I guess I can see how a spirit is weightless like air or something like that)
-ability -> self propelled flight as seen with the flying bisons

Waterbending sub-mastery -> bloodbending
-ability -> healing. The moon doesn't really do anything but the balance between the two fish was important to water bending just how balance is important to health (that makes sense right?)

Firebending sub-mastery -> lightning
-ability -> ???

What do you think the firebender's ability is? I can't think of or remember anything from the anime that showed something like this. I think the dragons were the first firebenders but they didn't much. All I know about firebenders is that their strength comes from their emotions; specifically anger (Azula and her blue flames). Also their powers are strengthened by that comet. Maybe their ability is the ability to fire breathe which doesn't seem to require any exaggerated movement? Maybe the combustion man's ability was like a specialized form of fire breathing (bending without movement)?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Azula's blue flames were a result of her talent as a firebending prodigy moreso than simply a manifestation of her anger. Either way, IDT it's sensible to try and localize any special pattern between the bending elements. Most theories fall apart when you realize that earthbending and waterbending have a billion subdivisions based on bending variations of their elements, whereas Air's new powers shown off in the last two seasons have been spiritual, and firebending has divulged into lightning and lightning redirection (I wonder if we'll see this, I mean Zuko's scene with Korra pretty heavily foreshadowed an assassination attempt on his daughter, maybe we'll get to see him actually fight this time).

I'm almost 100% sure that someone referenced azula's fire bending and emotions (iroh probably). If her flames are blue just because she is a prodigy then the fire lord and iroh would have shown blue flames too at some point because I think they were at azula's level. I wouldn't say earthbending and waterbending have a billion subdivisions. Water benders just use the different states of water and earthbenders have used crystals and sand at some point but those are more or less earth while metalbending and bloodbending are unique. Also fire and lightning are just different forms of energy so lightning bending isn't anymore special than the others.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm almost 100% sure that someone referenced azula's fire bending and emotions (iroh probably). If her flames are blue just because she is a prodigy then the fire lord and iroh would have shown blue flames too at some point because I think they were at azula's level.
Azula's form is very different from that of Iroh and Ozai, who practice a more traditional firebending style. Unlike the traditional firebending style, which relies heavily (relatively) closed stances and strong strikes, Azula's fighting style relies heavily on agility and precision. When she firebends with her hands she utilizes two fingers instead of the often seen open palm/closed fist more commonly associated with firebending (outside of the season finale, where she does, which can probably be explained by power overload), enabling her to compress her flames more tightly. The blue fire is a result of that high compression and her natural prowess.

For comparison

Azula

vs.

Roku

vs.

Zuko and Aang (practicing a traditional firebending form)

Azula is one of the greatest fighters in the series but there's no way she's as outright powerful as Ozai/Roku/Korra. Rather, her power comes from precision.

Azula's form is very different from that of Iroh and Ozai, who practice a more traditional firebending style. Unlike the traditional firebending style, which relies heavily (relatively) closed stances and strong strikes, Azula's fighting style relies heavily on agility and precision. When she firebends with her hands she utilizes two fingers instead of the often seen open palm/closed fist more commonly associated with firebending (outside of the season finale, where she does, which can probably be explained by power overload), enabling her to compress her flames more tightly. The blue fire is a result of that high compression and her natural prowess.

Azula is one of the greatest fighters in the series but there's no way she's as outright powerful as Ozai/Roku/Korra. Rather, her power comes from precision.
[/hide]
That is a tricky thing to get into, just because the fire is compressed (or rather the oxidizing material) it does not necessarily mean that it will be at a greater temperature because it may be the same amount of molecules reacting. The only thing that will change is the heat distribution but not the temperature. Not to mention that increasing the pressure by concentrating more oxygen may affect how well a substance combusts so its not that simple. Nice observation though .

That is a tricky thing to get into, just because the fire is compressed (or rather the oxidizing material) it does not necessarily mean that it will be at a greater temperature because it may be the same amount of molecules reacting. The only thing that will change is the heat distribution but not the temperature. Not to mention that increasing the pressure by concentrating more oxygen may affect how well a substance combusts so its not that simple. Nice observation though .
Not sure if ATLA really takes in all of that science and stuff. It IS a kid's show, after all. But I do like your reasoning and such. And yes, nice observation. I never even noticed that o.o

also so far no lightning bending avatar has been shown yet. I like that Korra was the first metal bending avatar, but it would've been cool if she learned how to use lightning as well.

WAIT. If Korra could metalbend, why couldn't she metalbend the poison that Zaheer used?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
also so far no lightning bending avatar has been shown yet. I like that Korra was the first metal bending avatar, but it would've been cool if she learned how to use lightning as well.
I guess technically you could say Aang did if you count lightning redirection. Although yeah, never on his own.

WAIT. If Korra could metalbend, why couldn't she metalbend the poison that Zaheer used?
My guess is that she wasn't yet skilled enough to realize THE POISON was metallic, or she was just too panicked to think about it. I don't get how Jinora knew THE POISON was metallic though. Honestly, I thought Kya or Tonraq was going to use healing to cure THE POISON or remove it from her.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can we just face the facts that those robots were stupid and added little to the show and that platinum never would have been introduced without them? We didn't need an unbendable material, we have wood. We didn't need a hard to fight juggernaut, Amon & his chi-blockers were already menacing and we'd get planes soon enough. Also Aftermath was the worst episode of Air (and until a Breath of Fresh Air, the worst episode of Korra).

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agreed, the robots ruined everything with the physics meddling. But idk why they had to plot device mercury into almost killing her without her stopping it, though.

migzoo

new money
Firebending sub-mastery -> lightning
-ability -> ???

What do you think the firebender's ability is? I can't think of or remember anything from the anime that showed something like this. I think the dragons were the first firebenders but they didn't much. All I know about firebenders is that their strength comes from their emotions; specifically anger (Azula and her blue flames). Also their powers are strengthened by that comet. Maybe their ability is the ability to fire breathe which doesn't seem to require any exaggerated movement? Maybe the combustion man's ability was like a specialized form of fire breathing (bending without movement)?
ASPLOSIONS :D

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can we just face the facts that those robots were stupid and added little to the show and that platinum never would have been introduced without them? We didn't need an unbendable material, we have wood. We didn't need a hard to fight juggernaut, Amon & his chi-blockers were already menacing and we'd get planes soon enough. Also Aftermath was the worst episode of Air (and until a Breath of Fresh Air, the worst episode of Korra).
I won't disagree that the robots might have been unnecessary, but I'm not sure wood is good enough for unbendable substance. Katara was able to break out of a wood prison with sweat and all Gazan needed were some pebbles. Pretty much any bendable substance in the hands of a competent bender can be used to break wood, and I wouldn't be surprised if the more physically fit characters could break out without bendables unless the wood was incredibly thick. Platinum and the purity physics might not have been the best idea, but I can't see wood replacing it in terms of tough utility material to use. Its not as malleable, tough, or versatile as an unbendable metal.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Article said:
In terms of what fans can expect with Book 4, a brief revisit to the other seasons provides some hints. While Book 1 focused on Korra's Airbending, Book 2 started with the Water Tribes Conflict. Book 3 was based off the Earth Kingdom, so many feel that Book 4 will open in the Fire Nation.
That makes sense, I hope this is the case and we finally see Zuko's daughter. I also hope they don't pull some shit and make her the villain...we've already had enough Fire Nation Royalty villains in the first series and we've even had a Queen as a villain in this show already too (plus I want Zaheer to return in some capacity). Although that could be another "reference" to the first show I seriously hope they don't do it.

tbh it'd be really fun to have more than 4 books but idk how they would have enough ideas as they're just making up villians at this point. at least atla had a common enemy in its 3 seasons

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
on the topic of "it's lazy of avatar to reuse the same setting for both season 3 fights". Am I the only one that sees more parallels between the Legend of Korra season 3 finale as an intentionally flipped version of the Last Air bender Series finale?

You have an airbender fueled by there belief's fighting a firebender fueled by rage ("I'm going to kill every last one of you"). Korra's not just a firebender, but I thought it was interesting to see (what I see as) her anger clouding out her ability to airbend, going into the fact that she spent most of that fight using enhanced firebending to fly (the first time we've seen this tactic outside of Sozin's Comet's influence).

I also kind of see a parallel in the stance/movements between how Zaheer was going to choke Korra to death and Aang energybending Ozai. This one's more of a stretch since the two events themselves are polar opposites but i feel like the way each airbender used their bending to incapacitate their opponent was similar in stance.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
so, a book 3 promo for nicktoons cameout and it features scenes with kuvira not from book 3. nick fucked up again.
http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/ (its on the front page, if anyone call tell me how to link videos from tumblr that'd be sweeeeellllll because idk how to use tumblr)

Last edited:

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
I guess technically you could say Aang did if you count lightning redirection. Although yeah, never on his own.

My guess is that she wasn't yet skilled enough to realize THE POISON was metallic, or she was just too panicked to think about it. I don't get how Jinora knew THE POISON was metallic though. Honestly, I thought Kya or Tonraq was going to use healing to cure THE POISON or remove it from her.
She saw the poison when they were putting it in. That looked like liquid metal from the moment I saw it.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
I agree that the metal aspect is stupid and could have easily been worked around had they put Korra learning metalbending off until season 4, but I suppose you could make an argument for control.

From what I can tell, the metalbending associated with the poison was high level and almost waterbendinglike in that it saw graceful, slow, calculated movements as it was bended into and out of her. Coming from A. New metalbender, and B. "WHEN I GET OUT OF HERE NONE OF YOU WILL SURVIVE" (direct quote), Korra's not exactly in a position to think critically and apply a new delicate bending technique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)