XY OU Turn Back The Clock (VoltTurn Throwback, 1727 on Ladder)

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

An RMT by Kiba Roserade/Cheek Pouch
Hello all, and welcome to my first ever RMT. Be warned that I may make some novice mistakes while typing this, but I read up and looked at some other RMT's, and I decided to try and write one. The theme of the team is a VoltTurn style of Offense, a style that was used heavily in BW OU, but has since faded out for other formats. I wanted to bring a fresh taste to what a powerful VoltTurn team could do in this meta, and so I made one, and I must say, it's the best team I've built. I'm not a smart one on exact EV's and whatnot, and it's why I ask to PLEASE give ANY AND ALL advice! I want to make this team as good as possible not only for me, but for others to use as well! My proof of ranking will be in this handy Lightshot. http://prntscr.com/4itxho
The first part to making any successful VoltTurn core is to find... well, someone who can U-Turn and Volt Switch. Landorus-T is undeniably one of the best leads in the meta as it stands, and backed with a 145 Atk and Intimidate, it can cause switches easily. Mega Manectric has (I think) the strongest Volt Switch in OU as of now, as well as one of the fastest. What is interesting about these two is that they both deter physical attackers with Intimidate, which can be used very easily to mess with any physical attackers.

I then needed a Pokemon that could VoltTurn with strength, but not speed. Enter Choice Band Scizor. With one of the strongest U-Turns in the game, coupled with a powerful priority move in Bullet Punch, Scizor can easily get another member of the VoltTurn quad-core in, or revenge if needed.

At this point, I needed someone who can hit hard, and keep hazard control. Excadrill is the best spinner OU has, and with a Stealth Rocker in Landorus, there was no need to use Defog. Excadrill also hits quite hard, which is an added buff.

While the majority of my Pokemon hit hard, none of them really had that go-to sweeping potential. Enter Weakness Policy + Agility Dragonite. Between a powerful Dragon Claw, Fire Blast and priority/coverage in E-Speed or Thunder Punch/EQ, Dragonite could easily turn a game around for me if it could set up.

Washy washy, happy happy! Bad Carnival Cruise reference aside, SpDef Rotom-Wash was the last VoltTurning member. Will-O-Split with STABS often spelled trouble for the special attackers.

While AgiliPolicy Dragonite hit hard, I found it just lacking in team synergy. If Excadrill couldn't clear hazards, his ability to sweep was greatly hampered. I switched him out with the Standard AVest Conkeldurr, and it has been working wonders. I loved the improvement in the team.
jacks0n realized my team was weak to Mega Venusaur and Keldeo. I switched out Rotom-W for an altered Tornadus T set to deal with those threats, and it's been working quite well.

Literally just go down a bit and see everyone swear by Starmie. It does a lot more work than Excadrill, a true counter to Keldeo, and Analytic stuff huuuuuuuurts so many switch-ins. No real reason not to be using it.

Meet the Pokemon!

@ Leftovers (Prowl)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Landorus-T has always been a solid lead, and it comes back to the spotlight in XY. This pokemon has relatively solid bulk, and can put a serious dent in any Pokemon that stands in his way. His Ability, Intimidate, allows him to serve as a temporary stop to a large portion of physical attackers that tried to stand in his way. Leftovers are given to recover a little health each turn, improving his longevity. EVs are maxed out in HP and Def, allowing him to hit hard while retaining solid bulk. 4 EV's are dumped into Speed to beat out opposing Lando-T (sounds counter-intuitive when you want the late switch I know.) Stealth Rock is a given, as it greatly supports the team and can turn 3HKO's into 2HKO's and 2HKO's into OHKO's. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB, denting anything not resistant or immune to it. U-Turn allows Landorus to serve as a pivot, doing damage and getting out of a possibly bad situation. Knock Off hits Gengar, and the removal of the opponent's Leftovers and Choice items can be crucial.

@ Manectite (Luster)
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mega Manectric is the second half to the VoltTurning Intimidate core. Mega Man (as I affectionately call it) can beat out a decent chunk of Pokemon 1v1 with the given moves. Item is a no brainer. Lightningrod can be used to get a clutch 1.5x boost. The EVs are standard, allowing it to hit as fast and hard as needed too, while the IVs give it his Hidden Power Ice. Thunderbolt is his hardest hitting STAB, while Volt Switch pivots him out, allowing him to get another Intimidate off when needed. Flamethrower absolutely nukes Scizor, Ferrothorn, Excadrill and other Steel types that may be able to resist his STABs. HP Ice nabs what the prior three moves can't: Dragons. Latios, Garchomp, and Dragonite are all relatively 2HKO'd or OHKO'd by the move.

@ Choice Band (Rock Paper)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Scizor has the role of hitting hard and revenging what needs to be revenged. Between U-Turn and Bullet Punch, this Iron Mantis can easily dismantle frail pokemon. Choice Band gives him the as much power as possible. Technician boosts his Bullet Punch to obscene levels, and is his best ability to use. U-Turn is the set's strongest attack, allowing Scizor to dent an opponent while leaving the battle to something with a more favorable matchup. Bullet Punch is the secondary STAB, and revenges things like no other. Knock Off gets rid of items, but I may switch to Pursuit to trap pesky pokemon like the Lati twins and Gothitelle. Superpower is solely for hitting the Heatran switches, but also hits other Scizor for solid damage.

@ Life Orb (Shine)
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Starmie is a fucking boss. I had Excadrill in this spot, and this may be a brazen statement, but I personally think that Analytic Starmie is the best offensive spinner in the game. It was OU 5 gens straight for a reason. Rapid Spin is obvious, removing hazards. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB, and is used when I need something gone. Psyshock is the 2nd STAB, hitting the special walls and Fighting types. Ice Beam is solid coverage against the Lati twins.

@ Assault Vest (Crater)
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

AVest Conkeldurr. This Pokemon is brawlic. Conk can come in on some weaker Special Attackers and fire away a powerful move to seriously hamper whatever comes in should it be neutral or SE. Assault Vest allows Conk to tank some special attacks, since it doesn't rely on support moves anyways. While Iron Fist may seem viable, with it boosting 3 moves on the set, I chose Guts instead. This allows Conk to act as a status absorber for the team and boosting his already impressive Attack to insane levels. EVs allow it to be bulky yet strong, which is what Conkeldurr is made to do. Drain Punch is the main STAB, converting 50% of the damage it has dealt to health for Conk. Ice Punch nabs Fighting resists like Landorus, Thundurus, and Dragons, among others. Mach Punch serves as priority to get that last bit of damage off, revenging Pokemon or putting in a dent before it faints. Knock Off hits Psychic types and removing items is always good.

(M) @ Assault Vest (Thaddeus)
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave

Tornadus-T is my answer to Keldeo and Venusaur. With an Assault Vest, it can tank a hit and heal with regenerator. The EV's give it an odd HP amount, enough SpA to guarantee a kill on Keldeo with Hurricane, the STAB of the set, some SpD, and Speed to outspeed Thundurus. It's a little altered from Jacks0n's set, but it helps me hurt Skarmory more. U-Turn is the pivot move, as Torn-T is the only Pokemon to recover HP from hazards. Hurricane is the STAB, but might change to Air Slash. Heat wave mains Skarmory, and Focus Blast is solid coverage.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Starmie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave

Thank you so much for sticking with me for my first ever RMT! Things I would like addressed in the comments include general ways to improve the writing of my RMT. Thank you and enjoy!

jdarden kinda got this team publicity. People message me asking why you used this team but idk. Thanks for that.

Jacks0n Lot of help in his comments.

@sidewalks for keeping me off the streets

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just 1 thing i wonder while looking at this team, how on earth do you handle megasuar?
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 163-193 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Offensive Venu is something I can take easily. It's Defensive that gives me trouble. It's probably the biggest threat to my team. Most of the time, I just PP Stall Synthesis. Defensive Mega Venu can definitely wither away my team, but it hasn't been incredibly detrimental. I'm thinking about putting enough Speed EVs into Scizor to hit it with a U-Turn before catching that HP Fire.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
hey Kiba Roserade, its a nice team but I see a few weaknesses which need to be fixed up, as well as some EV spreads that can be improved. Firstly you are really weak to Keldeo, landorus and Mega Venusaur. Venusaur can beat every member of you're team 1 on 1, which really needs to be fixed, Keldeo can also fire of its ridiculously powerful stabs to destroy you're team, and if you don't get mega manectric mega evolved before it comes in, you have no reliable way to revenge kill it. Landorus I can heavily punish you're team as well with its stabs. To fix up you're venusaur and landorus weakness I advize changing rotom wash to assault vest Tornadus-Therian, and to change excadrill to starmie.

EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 12 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Tornadus-Therian really fits with the theme of your team. It has speed, as well as u-turn that allows it to constantly pressure you're opposition and help with you're volt-turn circles. 168 Speed is to outspeed the Lati's, although lots of people like to outspeed thundurus, I think the extra bulk is better, because Thundurus will expect you to be faster anyway and it will t-wave, and you never want to risk you're torn getting paralyzed. The sp.attack guarantees a KO on keldeo with a hurricane, as much as possible is put into HP to get an odd number to reduce stealth rock damage, and then the rest is put into sp.def. Tornadus therian is an amazing switch-in to mega venusaur and landorus i, two very dangerous pokemon as well as it providing immense utility and momentum for your team.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs:248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapin Spin
- Recover

Starmie brings a lot more to your team than excadrill. It provides recovery so it can spin throughout the match, as well as higher speed and a desperately needed keldeo switch in. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed max speed thundurus, then you get max HP to an odd number to reduce stealth rock damage, then the rest is put into sp.attack. As I said before, starmie will be much more valuable to your team than excadrill.

You should then give all your mons that have 252 hp, 248 HP ev's and then 4 spare ones into sp.def or defence because you want to reduce stealth rock damage. Another thing you must do is move the 252 attack EVs on your landorus T to defence, Landorus therian is a defensive pivot, and withought the defense EVs it struggles to repeatedly take hits. Lastly, give Manectric Overheat over flamethrower, the extra power is always appreciated.

The team looks solid, the best of luck!

Holiday

on my best behavior
hey Kiba Roserade, its a nice team but I see a few weaknesses which need to be fixed up, as well as some EV spreads that can be improved. Firstly you are really weak to Keldeo, landorus and Mega Venusaur. Venusaur can beat every member of you're team 1 on 1, which really needs to be fixed, Keldeo can also fire of its ridiculously powerful stabs to destroy you're team, and if you don't get mega manectric mega evolved before it comes in, you have no reliable way to revenge kill it. Landorus I can heavily punish you're team as well with its stabs. To fix up you're venusaur and landorus weakness I advize changing rotom wash to assault vest Tornadus-Therian, and to change excadrill to starmie.

EVs: 168 HP / 160 SpA / 12 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Tornadus-Therian really fits with the theme of your team. It has speed, as well as u-turn that allows it to constantly pressure you're opposition and help with you're volt-turn circles. 168 Speed is to outspeed the Lati's, although lots of people like to outspeed thundurus, I think the extra bulk is better, because Thundurus will expect you to be faster anyway and it will t-wave, and you never want to risk you're torn getting paralyzed. The sp.attack guarantees a KO on keldeo with a hurricane, as much as possible is put into HP to get an odd number to reduce stealth rock damage, and then the rest is put into sp.def. Tornadus therian is an amazing switch-in to mega venusaur and landorus i, two very dangerous pokemon as well as it providing immense utility and momentum for your team.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs:248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapin Spin
- Recover

Starmie brings a lot more to your team than excadrill. It provides recovery so it can spin throughout the match, as well as higher speed and a desperately needed keldeo switch in. The speed EVs allow you to outspeed max speed thundurus, then you get max HP to an odd number to reduce stealth rock damage, then the rest is put into sp.attack. As I said before, starmie will be much more valuable to your team than excadrill.

You should then give all your mons that have 252 hp, 248 HP ev's and then 4 spare ones into sp.def or defence because you want to reduce stealth rock damage. Another thing you must do is move the 252 attack EVs on your landorus T to defence, Landorus therian is a defensive pivot, and withought the defense EVs it struggles to repeatedly take hits. Lastly, give Manectric Overheat over flamethrower, the extra power is always appreciated.

The team looks solid, the best of luck!
I don't like overheat bc of the SpA drop, and starmie has been used on the team, but it just wasn't holding its own with the set I ran, which was similar to yours. I will try the new EVs when I get home though. I like the idea of Torn-T and I will look into using it :) as I said with Landorus, and the rest of the team, I'm not very good with EVs. Thank you SOOO much on the advice, and I will change I shortly!

Hey, cool team here, however i'm seeing some problems against Mega Medicham, Charizard-X, CB Nite, Mega Heracross, and Latios.
You don't really have a response, all that 'mons can easy set up and spam powerful moves that destroy your team.
Ok, you have a double Intimidate strategy here, but isn't enough for example to stop Medicham, that isn't ohko by Manectric's Thunderbolt.
Also, you have things that destroys team's momentum, like Conkeldurr and that version of Landorus-T, especially the first that is forced to switch out against Medicham, it can't do anything.
First of all, i would suggest you to try Clefable over your Conkeldurr, while Conkeldurr is quite bulky, he's easily weared down by residual damage, lack of effective recovery (drain punch is hardly a recovery, especially if you consider how majority of good players would switch in a fight resistor against conkeldurr) also doesn't help him. Also Clefable is a solid check against Latios, Nite, and Heracross, always winning the one on one confrontation thanks to its typing. Also, i'd suggest you the SR + Wish set, this allows you to heal Volturners if the situation requires.
Next, i would change Landorus-T set to the Scarf, in order to increase your chances against Char-X and weaken Medicham with U-turn and Intimidate chains.
Now these changes leaves you a bit open against bisharp, as such, You could consider giving Rotom EVs in order to outrun Bisharps and burn them, obviously with Bold nature to take better physical hits.
And to conclude this, I suggest you to change Excadrill with Healing Wish orb Latias, she can removes hazards just like excadrill, however she can greatly help you against keldeo and medicham, since she resists fight, psychic and water, while psyshock and draco meteor ohkoes them. Not only that, healing wish might be useful for you, if you don't have time to pass wishes with Clefable.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Hope this helped, good luck!

I'm loving this throwback theme. The team is also pretty good but I have a few suggestions that should help a bit. The first would be to replace Excadrill with a better hazard remover. Latias would be a great fit here because of its ability to lure out a bunch of physical attackers, mainly Bisharp, a mon' that would be licking its chops as it's viewing your double Intimidate Core in the team preview. Latias can remove hazards, act as an effective lure, fully heal a teammate, and act as a Special Attacker. Latias also works well with Conkeldur because Conkeldur can get rid of mon's that seek to trap Latias (Bisharp and Tyranitar). Some of your spreads need work as well. Landorus-T's set is lacking a bit, I suggest using a 200 HP / 216 Def / 92 Spd Impish Ev spread, you miss out on some bulk but you'll also be able to deal with M-Heracross without taking 10 Rock Blasts' to the chin. Conk's Ev spread is lacking as well, use a 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spdef / 20 spe spread, although it loses some bulk, the change will allow Conk to take special hits better.

(Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Defog
- Draco Meteor

Holiday

on my best behavior
Okay so Hypercut mega medi isn't a problem bc of the double intimidate core alongside the new Torn T to the team. Jacks0n has helped me cover threats like these tremendously. Zard X also gets hampered by My newly defensive Landorus T. CB Dnite is very uncommon, and both times I've faced it I've beaten it without losing any Pokemon. Mega heracross is covered by the new Torn T. Latios is the only one that really hurts me, but it's taken out in a trade usually. Sorry for not updating the team, but the changes I've made more than cover the threats you've listed. Thanks do much for input, it's really appreciated.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi,

VoltTurn is hard nowadays with Defog and Lando-T's popularity making it somewhat difficult to pull off efectively. Still, you have the right idea with this team in terms of roles it should have covered, but some of your choices for these roles is off. First of all, I don't see what Excadrill really brings to the team besides spinning. You already have a Ground immunity in Landorus, so Air Balloon isn't doing much there. Landorus also is immune to T wave (not to mention you have Manectric to cover Thundurus). It doesn't have the power, speed, or support to warrant a spot on the team. Conkeldurr is also out of place. It is usually meant to check Thundurus (at least in my experience), but on this team it's just there. Its spot could easily be replaced with a cleaner of sorts to take advantage of the VoltTurn. On top of this, you seem to have a pretty big weakness to Keldeo, which just spams Scald or Hydro Pump and kills something.

With this in mind, I would change out Excadrill for Life Orb Starmie. Bulky Starmie feels like ti would ruin the momentum of the team. However, LO Starmie, with it's Analytic boosted attacks can help wear down the opponent even more easily with added VoltTurn. It also checks Keldeo while providing the spin support that Exca was before. Next, I would use SubDD Gyarados over Conkeldurr. SubDD Gyara works really well for this team, I think. It loves Ferrothorn being worn down by the Volt Turn as well as Analytic Starmie's Ice Beam. On top of that, it can set up on Slowbro and Ferrothorn, which are common switch-ins to Landorus-T. It also scares out opposing Landorus-T and can even switch into Landorus-I, giving it another opportunity to set up. This helps take pressure off Tornadus, which is your only lando switch-in at the moment. Finally, I would put 92 Spe on Landorus-T to outspeed Adamant Base 70s, namely Bisharp so it can't Knock Off before you EQ, as well as Breloom.

Anyway I hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Intimidate if you want to set up on Ferro more easily, Moxie if you want more sweeping potential.

You are probably whole lot better than me at playing, and all I can do is suggest something very obvious.
First, you should run 0 Attack IVs on your Manetric, and running Overheat over Flamethrower is suggested since it will be switching around a lot. This extra power will bring you some OHKOs.
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 414-488 (114.6 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 288-340 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 444-524 (126.1 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 308-364 (87.5 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 280-330 (90 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 194-230 (62.3 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 350-412 (81 - 95.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 242-286 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 318-376 (98.1 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 222-262 (68.5 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 396-466 (122.6 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 274-324 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 368-434 (96.8 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 256-302 (67.3 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 390-460 (138.7 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 272-320 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 326-384 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 226-268 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 370-436 (117.8 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 256-302 (81.5 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 502-592 (124.2 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 348-410 (86.1 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomoth: 370-436 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomoth: 256-302 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 368-434 (113.5 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 256-302 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so these are practically all of the relevant OHKOs you will get in OU.

You already have two Ground immunity, so I think running balloons on your Excadrill is not needed. You can change that into a Life Orb.

I am not really sure about this, but you have three pokemons that run Knock Off. Wouldn't it decrease the rate of getting an extra hard hit when you hit a Knock Off? How about using other coverage moves to beat the mons that you are weak to? I am not really sure about this, so I hope somebody else could help..
Possible changes might be..
Pursuit for Scizor
Stone Edge for Landorus-T
Thunder Punch for Conkeldurr (more like a lure, since now you can beat Keldeo with your rocks, although not always unless you run Iron Fist, or your Guts activated)
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 208-246 (64.3 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 84-99 (26 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 216-255 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hope it helped!

Holiday

on my best behavior
Hi,

VoltTurn is hard nowadays with Defog and Lando-T's popularity making it somewhat difficult to pull off efectively. Still, you have the right idea with this team in terms of roles it should have covered, but some of your choices for these roles is off. First of all, I don't see what Excadrill really brings to the team besides spinning. You already have a Ground immunity in Landorus, so Air Balloon isn't doing much there. Landorus also is immune to T wave (not to mention you have Manectric to cover Thundurus). It doesn't have the power, speed, or support to warrant a spot on the team. Conkeldurr is also out of place. It is usually meant to check Thundurus (at least in my experience), but on this team it's just there. Its spot could easily be replaced with a cleaner of sorts to take advantage of the VoltTurn. On top of this, you seem to have a pretty big weakness to Keldeo, which just spams Scald or Hydro Pump and kills something.

With this in mind, I would change out Excadrill for Life Orb Starmie. Bulky Starmie feels like ti would ruin the momentum of the team. However, LO Starmie, with it's Analytic boosted attacks can help wear down the opponent even more easily with added VoltTurn. It also checks Keldeo while providing the spin support that Exca was before. Next, I would use SubDD Gyarados over Conkeldurr. SubDD Gyara works really well for this team, I think. It loves Ferrothorn being worn down by the Volt Turn as well as Analytic Starmie's Ice Beam. On top of that, it can set up on Slowbro and Ferrothorn, which are common switch-ins to Landorus-T. It also scares out opposing Landorus-T and can even switch into Landorus-I, giving it another opportunity to set up. This helps take pressure off Tornadus, which is your only lando switch-in at the moment. Finally, I would put 92 Spe on Landorus-T to outspeed Adamant Base 70s, namely Bisharp so it can't Knock Off before you EQ, as well as Breloom.

Anyway I hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Intimidate if you want to set up on Ferro more easily, Moxie if you want more sweeping potential.
Hey! Thanks so much for the help. I'm not entirely sure about SubDD Gyarados, as I've used it before (probably wrong ;-;) but you're the like 8th person to suggest Starmie for my spinner, so I will try it out soon.
You are probably whole lot better than me at playing, and all I can do is suggest something very obvious.
First, you should run 0 Attack IVs on your Manetric, and running Overheat over Flamethrower is suggested since it will be switching around a lot. This extra power will bring you some OHKOs.
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 414-488 (114.6 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 288-340 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 444-524 (126.1 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 308-364 (87.5 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 280-330 (90 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Mega Heracross: 194-230 (62.3 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 350-412 (81 - 95.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Amoonguss: 242-286 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 318-376 (98.1 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 222-262 (68.5 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 396-466 (122.6 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 274-324 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 368-434 (96.8 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 256-302 (67.3 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 390-460 (138.7 - 163.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lucario: 272-320 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 326-384 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki: 226-268 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 370-436 (117.8 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Small: 256-302 (81.5 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 502-592 (124.2 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tangrowth: 348-410 (86.1 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomoth: 370-436 (107.5 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomoth: 256-302 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 368-434 (113.5 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 256-302 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so these are practically all of the relevant OHKOs you will get in OU.

You already have two Ground immunity, so I think running balloons on your Excadrill is not needed. You can change that into a Life Orb.

I am not really sure about this, but you have three pokemons that run Knock Off. Wouldn't it decrease the rate of getting an extra hard hit when you hit a Knock Off? How about using other coverage moves to beat the mons that you are weak to? I am not really sure about this, so I hope somebody else could help..
Possible changes might be..
Pursuit for Scizor
Stone Edge for Landorus-T
Thunder Punch for Conkeldurr (more like a lure, since now you can beat Keldeo with your rocks, although not always unless you run Iron Fist, or your Guts activated)
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 208-246 (64.3 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 84-99 (26 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 216-255 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hope it helped!
I already run 0 IVS for Attack on Manectric, I must've forgot to put that. Will edit soon. I'll try Overheat out as well. I've been debating about putting pursuit on Scizor, so I'll try it out. The other two kinda need it, as I love removing leads items with Landorus, and hitting Gengar is p important. Will try them both out, and thanks for the rate.

For those who don't know, the team in its current state has won 2 of my PSPL OU matches. Hopefully the changes will make it even better! Thank you Halcyon. and Merkur_Lampe for tips, and Jetpack for the compliment OFC you compliment me I beat you. Now bow down.

Hello there, interesting volturn team here, I truly like the torn-t+megamane core, both have great speed and form a fantastic volturn sinergy.
Having said that, I do notice some problems on your team, mostly Keldeo and Stall Teams.
You don't have a water resistor, while torn-t (albeit hurricane is shaky) and manectric (after mega evolving) are faster than him and can easily threaten him nobody can switch on powerful
water types attack, on the other side of the coin, however 3 members of your team don't stand a chance against keldeo, they are scizor, lan-t and excadrill, as such keldeo will easily find the way to enter and attack you.
Hazards are volturn's worst nightmare, and while excadrill can spin skarmory doesn' have any problem in walling him, even worse if said skarmory has rocky helmet in roder to punish you every time you spin.
That's why I would suggest you to change your spinner with Offensive Starmie, Starmie is faster than Keldeo, resists all its stab and can smash him with psyshock while also keep spinning for your team, he can also use ice beam to greatly debilitate hp fire latios, who is also problematic for you.
Now, as for the stall weakness, i would suggest you iron Head Kyurem-black over Conkeldurr, while I'm aware that Iron Head is quite a "strange" choice for a Kyurem it's quite solid against Clefable, which saw a great rise in usage after mawile and aegislash's ban, especially on stall teams.
56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 265-312 (67.2 - 79.1%)

As you can see clefable cannot switch in against any kyurem's move, since it would take her to the 2hko range of iron head, the other 3 moves are for coverage, helping you taking on usual stall 'mons.
Kyub also helps you tanking other powerful water attack, case in point you'll also get another solid answer for rotom-wash

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 250-296 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I hope this was useful for you :]

Holiday

on my best behavior
Hello there, interesting volturn team here, I truly like the torn-t+megamane core, both have great speed and form a fantastic volturn sinergy.
Having said that, I do notice some problems on your team, mostly Keldeo and Stall Teams.
You don't have a water resistor, while torn-t (albeit hurricane is shaky) and manectric (after mega evolving) are faster than him and can easily threaten him nobody can switch on powerful
water types attack, on the other side of the coin, however 3 members of your team don't stand a chance against keldeo, they are scizor, lan-t and excadrill, as such keldeo will easily find the way to enter and attack you.
Hazards are volturn's worst nightmare, and while excadrill can spin skarmory doesn' have any problem in walling him, even worse if said skarmory has rocky helmet in roder to punish you every time you spin.
That's why I would suggest you to change your spinner with Offensive Starmie, Starmie is faster than Keldeo, resists all its stab and can smash him with psyshock while also keep spinning for your team, he can also use ice beam to greatly debilitate hp fire latios, who is also problematic for you.
Now, as for the stall weakness, i would suggest you iron Head Kyurem-black over Conkeldurr, while I'm aware that Iron Head is quite a "strange" choice for a Kyurem it's quite solid against Clefable, which saw a great rise in usage after mawile and aegislash's ban, especially on stall teams.
56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 265-312 (67.2 - 79.1%)

As you can see clefable cannot switch in against any kyurem's move, since it would take her to the 2hko range of iron head, the other 3 moves are for coverage, helping you taking on usual stall 'mons.
Kyub also helps you tanking other powerful water attack, case in point you'll also get another solid answer for rotom-wash

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 250-296 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I hope this was useful for you :]
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 168 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 195-231 (57.1 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
160 SpA Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 324-384 (100.3 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 186-219 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 156-184 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO

*inserts pointless calcs of Mega Man destroying Keldeo"

Keldeo doesn't really bother my team, but thank you for input.

Starmie is currently being used. Once I begin to use it more, I will see if I will change it depending on how useful it's been.

Surprisingly, Stall isn't all that hard for me to deal with.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 344-408 (87.3 - 103.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
literally any prior damage dealt onto it and I kill. If it's an Unaware variant, I kill with Rocks up.

Thank you for the input; however, the only useful thing I've gotten out of it is that everyone swears by Starmie for this team XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)