ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll still be happy if that's just Sidney's room. It means that if the Elite Four are living in THIS style, they might be more important this time around. Also, anyone else love the new models for Archie and Maxie? Archie seems like a pirate... And Maxie is just so dispassionate, like he's battling you for the sake of analyzing you or something.

The encounter before battling Primal Groudon at 1:54 is one if not the most impressive cutscene I've seen in a pokémon game. It's so... awe-inspiring, like it's for real this time and you're about to experience the battle of your life. I'm speechless. It reminds me of Shadow of Colossus. The roaring Primal Groudon... better have your mega Sceptile on your team.

I might also be biased, since Groudon has always been one of my favorite ubers, but I don't know, I just don't feel it when I look at Primal Kyogre. It might have something to do with the fact Kyogre is not that taller than you and it kind of gives me the feeling it's actually trapped in the water and I can just turn around and run away if I get really scared (it'd probably use it's new water-type "psychock" to chase me and kill me though...).

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I might also be biased, since Groudon has always been one of my favorite ubers, but I don't know, I just don't feel it when I look at Primal Kyogre. It might have something to do with the fact Kyogre is not that taller than you and it kind of gives me the feeling it's actually trapped in the water and I can just turn around and run away if I get really scared (it'd probably use it's new water-type "psychock" to chase me and kill me though...).
I should be biased in the other direction because I liked Kyoger more than Groudon before (I knew) it was cool, (and OP judging by the little bit I know about Ubers) but I just don't like the glowy stuff in Primal Kyogre. In the artwork, its fine but in game, it looks... off.

Also, did anyone else notice how Ancient Devolution has more rock like versions of the energy crystal things that appear when a Pokemon Megaevolves? Before, I believed that Ancient Devolution and Mega Evolution were related, but now, I'm convinced.

The encounter before battling Primal Groudon at 1:54 is one if not the most impressive cutscene I've seen in a pokémon game. It's so... awe-inspiring, like it's for real this time and you're about to experience the battle of your life. I'm speechless. It reminds me of Shadow of Colossus. The roaring Primal Groudon... better have your mega Sceptile on your team.

Swampert would probably still be the better option, given Primal Groudon (re)gains the Fire type. Think of it as a bigger, meaner, much faster Camerupt with its own portable sun maker with a penchant for physical attacks. Though catching these two may be a pain in the butt if this is when you catch them. (but I suspect their Primal forms would have a catch rate of 45 instead of 3 to compensate, especially if once again you're forced to catch the box legendary to continue the story)

I like both a lot. Groudon's intro seems grander because of camera perspective and because Groudon is vertically taller; while Kyogre is horizontally longer so it's height is downplayed because it is in the water.

I'm going to be soft resetting like crazy to get a good Kyogre. I already have two really good ones from my Emerald playthrough. Also have a good groudon so I don't have to worry about not having the other games mascot :3. I hope HOPE they aren't shiny locked >.>

Hey guys watch this older trailer closely. It's the one with screen caps from Sidney's arena. But also look at Pheobe's (around 0:41) and you'll see you battle her on a walkway with a similar fence too. So the image we saw in this trialer may have been any of the E4s rooms. Or well, I think we can expect they will all have that same "arena." on a fenced walkway/ bridge.

Did anyone notice the rival's presence in Meteor Falls? They weren't with you there in the originals, indicated a potentially expanded role for them.

Thank fuck, the rivals' roles in RSE was horrendous.
One of the main reasons RSE is 3rd last on my games list and gen 3 is second last on my favourite gens

I can't find the diving... anyone got a time for it?

Maxie and Archie... main their heads look funny as in-game

So a lot of people have mentioned that Pikachu is probably in the safari zone but that didn't make a lot of sense to me. Are they going to make a model for every pokemon? Seems unlikely. Is it exclusive to Pikachu? Seems pointless.

It seems more likely that it's a sort of game like chasing the farfetch'd in HGSS or cornering the Furfrou in XY. Someone else pointed out that it resembles the Mew hunt on faraway island. This could possibly be a Mew that has transformed into a Pikachu.

Faraway island: http://imgur.com/rnk6PUj,Ax4wkq9

So a lot of people have mentioned that Pikachu is probably in the safari zone but that didn't make a lot of sense to me. Are they going to make a model for every pokemon? Seems unlikely. Is it exclusive to Pikachu? Seems pointless.

It seems more likely that it's a sort of game like chasing the farfetch'd in HGSS or cornering the Furfrou in XY. Someone else pointed out that it resembles the Mew hunt on faraway island. This could possibly be a Mew that has transformed into a Pikachu.

Faraway island: http://imgur.com/rnk6PUj,Ax4wkq9
For all we know, that could just tie into CosChu plot somehow (although it's fairly evident that this isn't CosChu herself). I really doubt that they'd do this just for Pikachu if it wasn't for some particular plot point, but on the other hand, I don't know that it would be particularly difficult to create specific images like that for some pokemon in a restricted area (such as the Safari Zone), and then code it in such a way that it acts in a similar manner to rustling grass. That tail isn't exactly complicated, when you consider that they have fully animated models for every pokemon, even if this is in the overworld.

The thing is, I don't really recognize that area, but if I had to guess, it would either be Route 120/121 or someplace altogether new. And while I do think that the fact that this kind of thing exists in the first place is a very good indication that Faraway Island will be an event, I doubt that they would show footage from the event in a pre-release gameplay trailer.

More than likely, your statement that it's a chasing game of sorts is true, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if CosChu is involved in some way. Either that, or this is the next step up from hearing random cries in the wild.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Brawly's Makuhita being only lv 16 does kind of suck though. Roxanne's Nosepass being slightly lower level would be beneficial in not being floored by the buffed and far more accurate Rock Tomb while your own Pokemon are struggling to make much of a dent in it, but beyond her is a little worrisome. It's probably so that Makuhita can't smash Kadabra silly with Knock Off, as both early bird Pokemon suck and can be tanked after a few Bulk Ups and Ralts is very rare. Wouldn't want the Pokemon conveniently placed to make it easier to handle the next gym to not be too easy to stick on the leader, now would we? /sarcasm
This is the biggest thing for that came out of the trailer. A) Why was Sceptile Lv 23? That seems unreasonably high and B) Brawly only having two pokemon one of them being a Lv 16 (thats 2 levels lower than in RS) Makuhita? Why didn't they expand out to the Emerald rosters for Gym Leaders? This probably means most of the gym leaders are going to be a complete joke.

My enthusiasm is starting to wane somewhat with the lack of updates/changes that we've seen so far. No new Pokemon added, "worse" Gym Leaders, the shitty version of contests etc...

Did anyone notice the rival's presence in Meteor Falls? They weren't with you there in the originals, indicated a potentially expanded role for them.
I didn't notice this actually. I might go through the video with a fine tooth comb later and pick up some things which may/may not be relevant. It's interesting they added the rival here. Would this mean a possible double battle vs some Admins before Archie/Maxie arrives?

I'm hoping they expand on Faraway Island as just a place to catch Mew. Maybe not event-exclusive anymore, and maybe we could learn what region it is in, if any?

This is the biggest thing for that came out of the trailer. A) Why was Sceptile Lv 23? That seems unreasonably high and B) Brawly only having two pokemon one of them being a Lv 16 (thats 2 levels lower than in RS) Makuhita? Why didn't they expand out to the Emerald rosters for Gym Leaders? This probably means most of the gym leaders are going to be a complete joke.
Even though it would've been much more exciting if gym leaders had their emerald roster, we knew that wasn't going to be the case since they showed Wattson with Magneton as his ace (Manectric would've been so much cooler :/ ). They're keeping RS' gym rosters and champion.

But the level is really unsettling. Would I be too optimistic if I said we should take what we see in the videos with a grain of salt? If said there's a chance that, just like Fairy Wind Gardevoir, Leaf Blade Shiftry, lvl 23 Leaf Blase Grovyle and - the only one that really matters - Brawly's lvl 16 Makuhita will not be a thing? It's just such a poor decision. Everybody complains that pokémon is too easy and then they decide to deviate from the originals in order to make it even easier?! Kids did just fine back then, would Knock Off have that much of an impact? Especially since unexperienced young players aren't likely to use hold items, essentially making Knock Off a more consistent Arm Thrust. And if Knock Off is such an issue, just replace it with Bulk Up. There are no excuses for a lvl 16 Makuhita.

Anyway, I guess it'll be up to us to make a challenge out of the game - like always. I for one am planning to make an anime-based run. I'm going to use Ash's advance team and just to spice it up, I'm not going to evolve my pokémon until I get to the point Ash evolved his. So Grovyle only after Flannery, Swellow after Norman and good luck for me trying to beat the E4 with Corphish. So GF can try to make the games a breeze all they want, I know I'm in for a pretty tough run.

My enthusiasm is starting to wane somewhat with the lack of updates/changes that we've seen so far. No new Pokemon added, "worse" Gym Leaders, the shitty version of contests etc...
Why are the contests shitty? I might've misunderstood some of the information that came out last month, but they're pretty similar to RS' contests with just a couple new gimmicks. That's what most people were hoping for, wasn't it? And you can play online. That's amazing! Since there is strategy involved in playing in a contest, this will probably give rise to a mini metagame. I'm not a big fan of contests myself, but I can see this will be an interesting playstyle for many people.

Either the gym's are gonna be really easy, or Makuhita won't be Brawly's ace anymore. Both options make me sad.
One of the past CoroCoro issues showed the five first Gym Leaders next to their ace pokémon. Brawly was standing next to his Makuhita, so it doesn't look like this has changed. And it isn't supposed to change (just like the level...)

The complaint about Brawly is kind of funny tbh.
I mean it's probably bad but.
It's one gym leader guys. Seriously.
also tbh brawly shouldn't be that easy anyway since there's few ways to easily handle his makuhita whether it's 16 or 18

edit: also this doesn't mean it WON'T HAVE KNOCK OFF guys
what you seem to be forgetting is that in RSE Makuhita didn't learn Knock Off until level 28
they only made it a level 19 move in DP and there's been no reason to change it since then - but since this is a RS remake they might actually give it to Makuhita earlier at level 16, and even THEN if it's still at level 19 Brawly's Makuhita might still have it

Last edited:
The complaint about Brawly is kind of funny tbh.
I mean it's probably bad but.
It's one gym leader guys. Seriously.
also tbh brawly shouldn't be that easy anyway since there's few ways to easily handle his makuhita whether it's 16 or 18
I don't know, first it indicates a trend we don't want to see come true.

And I'm pretty sure the level difference makes it much easier to handle. It'll be taking more damage and dishing out less after all (making it easier for pokémon like Taillow to OHKO with Wing Attack or take a hit and 2KO). This is even more relevant if you're not packing a super effective move, since the lower level will make it easier to, say, your Mudkip tank its hit and slowly beat it as you heal with Potions when needed. Lack of Knock Off also means Sableye totally walls it.

In a way, you're right, that's not really a flaw, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction on the part of GF :(

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Are we even certain the Makuhita is Brawly's? It's been many years since I last played through RSE, but I seem to recall he wasn't the only person in that gym training a Makuhita. Could it be that the Makuhita battle shown in the trailer is against another gym trainer, and not Brawly himself?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Even though it would've been much more exciting if gym leaders had their emerald roster, we knew that wasn't going to be the case since they showed Wattson with Magneton as his ace (Manectric would've been so much cooler :/ ). They're keeping RS' gym rosters and champion.

But the level is really unsettling. Would I be too optimistic if I said we should take what we see in the videos with a grain of salt? If said there's a chance that, just like Fairy Wind Gardevoir, Leaf Blade Shiftry, lvl 23 Leaf Blase Grovyle and - the only one that really matters - Brawly's lvl 16 Makuhita will not be a thing? It's just such a poor decision. Everybody complains that pokémon is too easy and then they decide to deviate from the originals in order to make it even easier?! Kids did just fine back then, would Knock Off have that much of an impact? Especially since unexperienced young players aren't likely to use hold items, essentially making Knock Off a more consistent Arm Thrust. And if Knock Off is such an issue, just replace it with Bulk Up. There are no excuses for a lvl 16 Makuhita.

Why are the contests shitty? I might've misunderstood some of the information that came out last month, but they're pretty similar to RS' contests with just a couple new gimmicks. That's what most people were hoping for, wasn't it? And you can play online. That's amazing! Since there is strategy involved in playing in a contest, this will probably give rise to a mini metagame. I'm not a big fan of contests myself, but I can see this will be an interesting playstyle for many people.
If thats the case I really hope they at least give us Gym leader rematches like in Emerald/HGSS. Those were some of the best parts of their games, and now they could have really cool rosters too!

I think that is a little optimistic. They've never really outright lied to us before with the trailers/gameplay videos. It would seem strange to start lying to us now. I don't have an issue with Maku having Knock Off, 90% of players will have Taillow or Wingull anyway which will likely make the gym easy regardless. Knock Off is neutral vs Both so... It's not that much of an advantage. Bulk Up is a lot scarier.

Contests were a fucking crapshoot in RS. At least in DP there was "some" skill with the Dancing portion, rather than dumb luck with judges and which judges the AI picked. Being similar to RS is just plain poor decision making. Some skill based game would of been better (Like Pokeathlon, or the anime where an appeal is a minigame if you like). Even add the normal contest to the backend of that... I don't know, but right now there is 0 reason for me to even do contests. Just pointing out too, we do not know if they are "Online" for sure. All we know is local MP works.

Are we even certain the Makuhita is Brawly's? It's been many years since I last played through RSE, but I seem to recall he wasn't the only person in that gym training a Makuhita. Could it be that the Makuhita battle shown in the trailer is against another gym trainer, and not Brawly himself?
Why would they show a big image of Brawley, and then show Makuhita who we all know is his sig mon, and make that Maku not his? :|

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But the Makuhita battle had the treadmills and exercise bikes in the background which was shown to be Brawly's room. I don't think every battle in that gym would have that background

Well, unlike what seems to be the most voiced opinion on this page, that video only served to make me way more excited. regardless of if one Pokemon is 2 levels lower than it used to be I'm sure the games will be about as difficult as any other Pokemon game overall. Also everyone by now should recognize that Pokemon isn't a game you play because you were wanting something difficult to beat, but because you want a really fun world and adventure to immerse yourself in. Come on guys we're getting updated versions of the best Pokemon games ever! This is basically THE dream!

And did you see the part with the wild Trapinch? The way it looks? Man, I had to get up and flip furniture to burn off my excitment. Other than console games that was the most "interactive" I've ever seen the player character be in the actual battle scene. Plus that crazy awesome sandstorm BG and camera angle. Oh God!

And while I'm also very excited that the rival will have an increased script I definitely don't share the opinion that they were somehow unfulfilling in the originals. In fact they have one of the best relationships with the player character. I've always felt Brendan and May have the most complex relationship. There's like so many levels to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)