Tier Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tier changes:
To OU: Heracross, Magnezone, Gothitelle, Mew and Slowbro
Dropped from OU: Espeon, Togekiss, Quagsire, Diancie, Vaporeon, Smeargle and Scolipede
RU stuff: Wobbuffet, Spirtomb, and Omastar
NU: Kabutops

OK... I was actually making a team based around Gothitelle, so that sucks.

And LOL @ Kabutops in NU. It's already damn good in TS already and it's getting another buff.

Tier changes:
To OU: Heracross, Magnezone, Gothitelle, Mew and Slowbro
Dropped from OU: Espeon, Togekiss, Quagsire, Diancie, Vaporeon, Smeargle and Scolipede
RU stuff: Wobbuffet, Spirtomb, and Omastar
NU: Kabutops

OK... I was actually making a team based around Gothitelle, so that sucks.

And LOL @ Kabutops in NU. It's already damn good in TS already and it's getting another buff.
I mean there are a few bright sides for example Espeon now has superior special attack and speed to Latios (IIRC, they were both the same before) as well as some extra bulk to abuse Magic Bounce now. Likewise, I think trapping Gothitelle will still be good but if you want to use a different trapper there is still Dugtrio which now has 90 attack and 130 speed (its bulk is still abyssmal with 45 hp/60def/80 spdef) so it should be able to get some extra revenge kills that it couldn't before. While I haven't tried it, it may work interestingly in place of Gothitelle. On another note: If Quag keeps dropping we'll be able to reclaim one of my most anticipated TS mons and I do hope he falls to RU so we can get an amazing +10 to each stat.

urdrakonis thanks for making this. Rain offense is going to be even better, but Quagles is there to help fend off Kabutops. Vaporeon dropping will also help. Gothitelle is the bane of my existence in TS so that getting nerfed is good

It's not an official tier but it's a tier based on official usage stats and standard cutoff :[

It's already a part of the pokedex, why not make it part of Tier Shift? :/
I just want to show some support for this. Personally, I can't see why it's unofficial to begin with when the purpose of tiers is to get Pokemon that don't get used some usage and NU has pokemon in its list that you'll never see there. That said, it may be prudent to wait a little longer and see if it becomes an official tier anyways if it gets popular enough.

It's already a part of the pokedex, why not make it part of Tier Shift? :/
So my hypothesis if PU becomes official (very unlikely though):

UU/BL: +5

RU/BL2: +10

NU/BL3: +15

PU(AKA the new NU)/BL4: +20

I feel that if PU were to become an official Smogon tier, Tier Shift might get even MORE interesting than what it currently is. I'm thinking of Lapras right now. If the change were to happen, it can reach 150/100/115 bulk in the meta, making it a complete tank!

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Surf

This set is still good as it is with 145/95/110 defenses. But i'd be nice to have an extra +5.

Last edited:
CodedGryph don't forget that Politoed will also be in PU, which provides even better rain support for Hydration. In that vein, Ninetales will also be in PU to give sun a bit of a boost to. Coming to think of it I almost feel sorry for hail, the fact that they have one snow warner really hurts them in the format (it also doesn't help that Hail isn't a very good archetype). Just wanted to throw my two cents into this.

With Snow Warning Aurorus probably wouldn't be PU tho.
It would be probably be NU though giving it a nice plus 15 to all stats and the ability to summon hail on switch in. Also you'd be able to pair it with Abomasnow as I haven't seen much weather in TS with two setters being used Hail would have a niche as the weather of two setters and a few Pokemon to take advantage of it.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It would be probably be NU though giving it a nice plus 15 to all stats and the ability to summon hail on switch in. Also you'd be able to pair it with Abomasnow as I haven't seen much weather in TS with two setters being used Hail would have a niche as the weather of two setters and a few Pokemon to take advantage of it.
Abomasnow and Aurorus both have an insane amount of weaknesses, so I honestly don't think it would be that good. :S

Abomasnow and Aurorus both have an insane amount of weaknesses, so I honestly don't think it would be that good. :S
Oh yeah, it'd probably be terrible but that wouldn't stop me from purposefully making a good team (most of my teams are to test one or two things and then I'll let them crash because I don't really enjoy laddering too much) and then spamming that terrible hail team at the top of the ladder for the fun of it. You know, send my rating down in a blaze of glory!

Anyways, no one has posted a full team and reasoning they use that team on here for a while so I figure I should. I decided a few days ago to build a team With Swift Swim Kabutops and Dugtrio and this is what I got:
Politoed (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Politoed is here for the ever necessary reason of setting up rain. Modest max special attack because I like making rain boosted Hydro Pumps hit like a truck. Politoed may have to switch in multiple times in a battle so HP is maxed out to help it take hits on both sides and I had 4 extra evs so I just figured SpDef would be a good place for them.

Kabutops (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Kabutops here is the primary sweeper, Running Adamant max attack because it has blazing speed under the rain. Aqua Jet is for primarily when the rain wears off, I can still hit something before it hits me, Life Orb lets me get the most damage for my buck while still changing up moves and Swords Dance lets me set up when I predict the opponent to switch. The other two moves are imo self explanatory as they're powerful STAB, but in case you didn't realise they are in fact powerful STAB.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Cress is possibly one of my favorite mons in Standard OU and benefits pretty greatly from the plus ten to every stat. Unlike most people, I've always used Cress as a bulky attacker, hence my three moves and Lunar Dance. Psychic, Moon Blast and Ice Beam along with absolute max special attack let me hit for a lot of coverage (I'm not entirely sure if its perfect per say but its pretty damn good). Leftovers for the item because passive recovery is always appreciated and it can fool some people into thinking they're fighting a standard set, causing them to try and use me as set up fodder before they until they get hit with what is preferably a super effective move. The crown jewel however is Lunar Dance, allowing me to Sack cress once its about to go down and restore all health and PP to the switch in. If Dugtrio hasn't broken its sash but has some damage and there are no hazards up then I can get the sash back (I know its kind of idealistic but its happened), like wise to any of my non-regenerator mons.

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is yet another improved mon I like to use in OU, this time however the set is a literal translation. With modest 252 spatt I can 2hko Ferrothorns that are baited in by Spores with HP Fire. Usually Giga Drain/SludgeBomb/Spore can take care of the rest. Add to it the ability to recover a third of its hp whenever I switch it out, it ends to become a pain.

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

In this case, I wanted to use lead Dugtrio. Granted he doesn't lead too much but when he does he sets up rocks, gets a hit off and momentos so that I can either get up my rain, get up a free SD with Kabutops or (and most likely) a free spore. In the case he's brought down to his sash but rocks aren't up on my field I might choose to preserve him and Lunar Dance into him. As he has a blistering 130 base speed, I run Jolly because I believe in over killing things way too much. You are all more than invited to run Adament and probably make him more succesful.

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Wish

Here we have the great majestic fish of Tier Shift. I doubt you need any introduction to what this set does, but for the sake of it we have the ability to toxic stall, spam waterfall under rain and pass of humongous wishes if the need be.

So I hope the spoiler tags worked and I hope everyone enjoyed my posting of a team that I used casually on the ladder but which has been fun. :)

Anyways, no one has posted a full team and reasoning they use that team on here for a while so I figure I should. I decided a few days ago to build a team With Swift Swim Kabutops and Dugtrio and this is what I got:
Your team is way too reliant on Kabutops; if your opponent can keep it under check then they will have an easy time beating you. Rain teams are much better suited to aggressive strategies, so I'd switch out both of Cresselia and 'Mola for mons that are really difficult to handle under rain. Specs Kingdra, Tornadus, Toxicroak, Raikou would all fit that niche. Here's an example:
Politoed (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 6 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic / Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam / Scald

Kabutops (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Raikou @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch / Calm Mind

EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 100 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Toxicroak @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch / Cross Chop
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot / Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

NP Thundurus-Therian can be very hard to wall and beat under rain. Other good abusers include Heliosk, Ludicolo to beat Gastrodon which some rain teams struggle with, and Rest Hydration Goodra which works pretty well with Politoed and other rain abusers

Politoed (M) @ Damp Rock
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Politoed is here for the ever necessary reason of setting up rain. Modest max special attack because I like making rain boosted Hydro Pumps hit like a truck. Politoed may have to switch in multiple times in a battle so HP is maxed out to help it take hits on both sides and I had 4 extra evs so I just figured SpDef would be a good place for them.

Kabutops (F) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Kabutops here is the primary sweeper, Running Adamant max attack because it has blazing speed under the rain. Aqua Jet is for primarily when the rain wears off, I can still hit something before it hits me, Life Orb lets me get the most damage for my buck while still changing up moves and Swords Dance lets me set up when I predict the opponent to switch. The other two moves are imo self explanatory as they're powerful STAB, but in case you didn't realise they are in fact powerful STAB.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Cress is possibly one of my favorite mons in Standard OU and benefits pretty greatly from the plus ten to every stat. Unlike most people, I've always used Cress as a bulky attacker, hence my three moves and Lunar Dance. Psychic, Moon Blast and Ice Beam along with absolute max special attack let me hit for a lot of coverage (I'm not entirely sure if its perfect per say but its pretty damn good). Leftovers for the item because passive recovery is always appreciated and it can fool some people into thinking they're fighting a standard set, causing them to try and use me as set up fodder before they until they get hit with what is preferably a super effective move. The crown jewel however is Lunar Dance, allowing me to Sack cress once its about to go down and restore all health and PP to the switch in. If Dugtrio hasn't broken its sash but has some damage and there are no hazards up then I can get the sash back (I know its kind of idealistic but its happened), like wise to any of my non-regenerator mons.

Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is yet another improved mon I like to use in OU, this time however the set is a literal translation. With modest 252 spatt I can 2hko Ferrothorns that are baited in by Spores with HP Fire. Usually Giga Drain/SludgeBomb/Spore can take care of the rest. Add to it the ability to recover a third of its hp whenever I switch it out, it ends to become a pain.

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

In this case, I wanted to use lead Dugtrio. Granted he doesn't lead too much but when he does he sets up rocks, gets a hit off and momentos so that I can either get up my rain, get up a free SD with Kabutops or (and most likely) a free spore. In the case he's brought down to his sash but rocks aren't up on my field I might choose to preserve him and Lunar Dance into him. As he has a blistering 130 base speed, I run Jolly because I believe in over killing things way too much. You are all more than invited to run Adament and probably make him more succesful.

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Wish

Here we have the great majestic fish of Tier Shift. I doubt you need any introduction to what this set does, but for the sake of it we have the ability to toxic stall, spam waterfall under rain and pass of humongous wishes if the need be.

So I hope the spoiler tags worked and I hope everyone enjoyed my posting of a team that I used casually on the ladder but which has been fun. :)
what everyone else has said, and if you want to keep your team mostly the same and not lose, get somthing that can answer mega abomasnow, because if kabutops goes down, then outside of cress, aboma can blast your entire team to pieces without much trouble. I would reccomend talonflame, who can take any attack that isn't blizzard and can kill stuff that might threaten other members of your team with a priority brave bird and can blast stuff with flare blitz outside of rain. If talon isn't your style then toxicroak is a good option with gunk shot, as long as it does not miss. If rocks are up, zapdos can beat aboma and brings a nice typing to the table. Heatran might seem odd for a rain team, but it has several useful resistances and with 52 sp atk Evs, can KO aboma with no trouble with a lava plume. lastly, a tornadus form might work with STAB hurricane, but need to watch out for ice shard.

Rain is really good, but has anyone tested sun? I used to use it but havent in a very long time. Also, is it just me or is Goodra with Rest and Hydration a great Special Wall in rain?

Two mons I'm diggin so far are regenerator Mienshao n Reuniclus... Shao is sex at grabbing momentum w base 130 atk n 110 spd, regenerator, n U-turn, plus only the bulkiest mons can safely switch in, at which point shao can safely switch out... Reuniclus is p good at forcing switches w specs future sight n regen to shrug off pursuit damage, which it can easily do thanks to 120/85 physical bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)