Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Pokemon with good synergy with Soak Lanturn?
Well, like, that's a weird one since it is all dependent on the tier you're going to be playing, and like, the sole fact that you are using Soak Lanturn. But I guess for NU some moderate teammates would be fast Pokemon that take advantage of such a type change, like Rotom-Fan or Sceptile. And then you definitely want to have a nice Fire-type to wall the Grass-type moves that would ruin the purpose of Lanturn, so perhaps Magmortar. Again, all varies based on the tier, and it also a hard question to answer based on the sole set it is running.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
MagikariplsOP said:
What are the reasons to use Latios over Latias and vice versa? Which one is generally better?
As the stats suggest, Latios is used as a sweeper, usually with Specs or Life Orb, while Latias is used for Defog support and it's nice defensive typing and stats.. Another reason to use Latias is Healing Wish. So which to use over the other depends on what you need: you may use Latios with defog if you need an offensive Pokemon as well and have only one slot left, while Latias is used solely as a special wall that can remove hazards and dish back some damage as well.

What are the reasons to use Latios over Latias and vice versa? Which one is generally better?
Latios is more of a sweeper and has higher power and speed but it cannot take hit, Latias is powerful like latios but really not that much however it can take hits.

Last edited:
What is considered a respectable Ladder Rating? 1500, 1700, 1900?

Think about mega mawile, it just needs a bit of support (removal of fast willowisp and chip damage on bulky pokes) to sweep. Other sweepers, like mega scizor, all are much easier to check - most fires can take a bullet punch/knock off, so it needs a more support to be able to sweep. Most of those pokes you have mentioned do have counters and most prepared teams can stop a sweep from them; scizor- faster fire types, cm clef - bisharp/scizor/taunt users, dd's - prankster twave/scarf pokes (garchomp eg), bisharp - anything faster resists sucker punch/quagsire. The difference with mawile is that due to its power it only needs 1 boost to easily tear through a team. Mawile doesnt require as much skill to use as other set up sweepers and doesnt need as much support, although a bad player wont be able to utilise it well enough for a sweep.
Baton pass was an exception - it wasnt one mon, but a team that could deal with every poke in the meta and sweep with lack of skill.
It is hard for a mon to be an instant win button, because most pokes have counters (arguably not xzard/lando-i). The reason why the mon is broken is that they can find ways round counter (ice punch/eq mega luke) and some of the counters are obscure (bw2 lando-i ppl used arcticuno) or sometimes it requires a counter on a team (rotom-w shot up in usage bcus of lando-i.

Remember, no one should let a poke get a free turn of set up (definitely not 2) - the reason why mawile is so good is that it easily finds pokes to set up, that it either walls (latwins) or are scared of getting ko'd.
That same logic applies to most set up sweepers. Zard X + 1 DD after getting rid of water/fairy pokemon means GG most of the time. If you have no Ice/Water moves left Gliscor is going to rape your whole team without any boosts. That is where the skill comes in and you have to predict/bait people into doing what you want. If you leave a pokemon in that MM can set up on, then expect it to switch in...

Yeah, but the set you really want to counter is the Sand Rush set. Bronzong is a good counter to that one, though Exca can still pull off flinch hax with Iron Head/Rock Slide.
It's hard to tell which I will be facing and have lost many levitators by guessing wrong. I don't want to build my strategy around one big guess. It's ok tho I am now running Gyarados even though I don't really like it :/

Last edited:
Why is Stone Edge the standard on Modest Scarfed Heatran? Isn't Ancient Power the better option because it goes off the strong and invested special attack stat?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why is Stone Edge the standard on Modest Scarfed Heatran? Isn't Ancient Power the better option because it goes off the strong and invested special attack stat?
252 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 236-280 (79.4 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 324-384 (109 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is the main reason why SEdge is usually better Ancient Power.

Last edited:
252 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 236-280 (79.4 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 324-384 (109 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is the main reason why SEdge is usually better Ancient Power.
Huh, I guess I just ran the calc wrong. Thanks, Aragorn!

Edit: Actually:

252 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 66-78 (19.3 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 66-78 (19.3 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO

252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 73-86 (21.4 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 60-71 (17.5 - 20.8%) -- possible 5HKO

Yeah that's where the confusion happened.

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Mew is currently an A rank mon in ou. What's its most effective set
Hi,
it works great as stall breaker with this set
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Spe / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are Mega Heracross and Mega Medicham BL when their regular forms are OU?
It's just a dumb thing on the teambuilder that hasn't been fixed yet. At first I thought it was intentional, since their Mega stones are banned from UU, and so are BL. However, Gardevoirite is also banned from UU, and yet Mega Gardevoir is just OU, not BL. Basically don't pay any attention to it; they're supposed to be OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)