Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

You know, between the change of Dedede's side b and now his final Smash, I'm starting to seriously wonder if we really are getting Bandanna Dee as a newcomer after all...

Soft confirming no events (...) or adventure mode. why do you do this to me? Maybe the wii U version will have more options.
Smash Run is basically the new Adventure mode.

http://smashboards.com/threads/jp-w...king-requests-leading-up-to-the-event.366530/

mad info on the smash demo

highlights:

-Peach's forward B has BARELY any startup time anymore (the butt slam)
It felt REALLY FAST.

- pacmans forward a is a combo like Marth except with punches

- his down aerial is like lucarios except he kicks like 2-3 times.

- Shulk has amazing spacing options because his Monado reaches so damn far
- The game still has a sense of floatiness to it that is present in brawl. It's definitely not like Melee where you drop like bricks.

- Shield rolling is extremely fast and there's a neat little sparkle star effect when you do it and acting out of shield is as well. I think of it like a mini-wave dash. No wave dashing or l-cancelling. Just rolling baby.

- Ledge snap SEVERELY nerfed. I feels like Melee ledge grab.

- Meta knights up b is like Marth's up b. It hits people like once and sorta knocks them away and has an upward direction to it.

His tornado still has a lot of hits but you can DI it pretty easy because the hits are actually less frequent, I don't know yet about its priority.

- Pivot cancel is still in

- Pac Man is SLOW. Every single one of his aerials are kicks. His forward aerial is a double kick, his back air is like Mario. The thing that stood our about him is his utter sluggish-ness. His fall speed is like brawl. His run speed is slow. His forward b sends a pellet out in front of him, and then he turns in to classic pacman and boosts towards it. It's kind of like greninja'd shadow sneak thing except you can't time it.

- lucario is unchanged except his smash attacks feel MUCH faster.

- peach is unchanged except for her up aerial. It's now a rainbow thing, it has an arched hitbox over the top of her head, she draws it with her hand.

- Zelda has a white costume

- Ike feels unchanged. I was never an Ike main so I don't know the specifics but his attacks were all the same general thing, nothing new I noticed.

- pacman. He feels slow, but his attacks felt like they had a good hitbox, because he's really fat and his legs stretch when he kicks. He just felt really interesting to play, but I ended up using his aerials the most because of their hit boxes.

- Peach's turnip pull speed is nerfed. She can still move in to float to do things like crown and nair. Her fsmash goes tennis club, golf club, and frying pan. I believe it's a set order now.

- Sonic still dies pitifully if you end up in a spin without a jump

- ledge stalling may be impossible now? If you drop from the ledge and jump back up, you literally will just NOT grab it. It's like the ledge gains invulnerability to your grab for a certain time after you let go. DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT. I am not 100% sure I need to try it again on my 2nd go around but in my last match I basically lived on the ledge trying this out.

I could no re-grab the ledge directly after letting go and jumping back in to obvious grab range.

- palutena's smash reach is incredible. Her up smash is the giant pillar laser beam thing. Her side smash moves a bit forward and her wings slap in front of her.

- robin is FANTASTIC. Magic is not slow, when he has his spell book his attack speed is really good. If you use a smash attack in the air IT USES HIS MAGIC SMASHES. If you use a normal aerial it uses his other weapon.

- Lucina is not playable.

- chrom appears in robins victory pose.

- they are really right on pictures and video. I almost got kicked out for trying.

- villagers up b is the most overpowered recovery I've ever seen.

- whoever is worried about combos, there are combos.

- YOU CAN CANCEL RUN WITH SHEILD.

- Olimar has Alph as a costume

Last edited:
I'm gonna be pretty steamed if Ike gets none of the buffs the other slow characters got. EDIT: At the end of the character select video there was like 5ish seconds of Ike footage. Uncharged quick drawl has really fast startup, eruption also looked quicker as well.

At least Robin Reflet and Palutena both seem very strong from the extremely limited info we have.

Last edited:

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd be a bit confused if Alph was a costume for Olimar. Didn't Sakurai say he didn't want to make separate characters as alternates when he revealed Lucina?

Dry Bowser and Fierce Deity Link confirmed as costumes.
Fox has a Wolf-Like costume as well.

nvm Dry Bowser was a mistake apparently

:(

I'd be a bit confused if Alph was a costume for Olimar. Didn't Sakurai say he didn't want to make separate characters as alternates when he revealed Lucina?
I'm pretty sure he said he won't do it if the alt would have different properties, like Lucina's slightly smaller hitbox and no tips or something.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The game still has a sense of floatiness to it that is present in brawl. It's definitely not like Melee where you drop like bricks.
fuck, this was one of the main things I was hoping they were going to revert

at least it seems like tripping is out?

also love that PacMan seems like he's taking Bowser's place as a slow brawler

which lines up (at least somewhat) with one of the leaks, which was first to mention DHD and Bowser Jr.
The same leak that pairs up with the one about Bowser Jr having the koopalings as alts

This means

Roy Swordsman is OUT

Roy Koopa is IN

What a wonderful fucking world we live in. I would joke with my siblings while playing Mario Kart 8 as Roy that Roy ought to be in smash poking fun at meaning the other Roy and never expecting that Roy to get in. Now that it's happening I'm exstatic and laughing my ass off at how awesome this is.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dry Bowser and Fierce Deity Link confirmed as costumes.
Fox has a Wolf-Like costume as well.

nvm Dry Bowser was a mistake apparently

:(

I'm pretty sure he said he won't do it if the alt would have different properties, like Lucina's slightly smaller hitbox and no tips or something.
Oh for the love of God!!!!!

*squeals like a fangirl*

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The same leak that pairs up with the one about Bowser Jr having the koopalings as alts

This means

Roy Swordsman is OUT

Roy Koopa is IN

What a wonderful fucking world we live in. I would joke with my siblings while playing Mario Kart 8 as Roy that Roy ought to be in smash poking fun at meaning the other Roy and never expecting that Roy to get in. Now that it's happening I'm exstatic and laughing my ass off at how awesome this is.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Keep in mind, the Wario skin for Mario has existed since the original Smash, whereas this one is new. It could possibly mean Wolf getting removed, but we'll wait and see.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
They're finally releasing some SSB4 music, and it's kickin'. I'm a massive fan of Smash Bros music, especially when they pull nostalgic stuff. It almost gets me hyped more than new character reveals, haha. I've listed all of my highlights below, but make sure to go out and listen to your favorites! So if you wanna read my nerdy ramblings or check out some of the music, clicky clicky:

I picked up Dream Team about a week ago, where I immediately fell in love with the battle theme. It might be my favorite vanilla fight theme since Paper Mario for N64. This arrangement fits SSB nicely; is there a Dream Team stage coming for 3DS? That'd be awesome. I'm also glad they're bringing in the battle theme from Sticker Star, unedited.

The Spirit Tracks revamp is INCREDIBLE. I freaking love this song -- it might be my favorite of the batch. They did a nice job of blending together some of the feel of Twilight Princess with that great twang sense that made Spirit Tracks stand out.

I almost had an emotional breakdown when I saw Paper Mario TTYD come up on the playlist. While there were a lot better songs in this game (C'mon Nintendo, ROGUEPORT), this gave me a huge wave of nostalgia. It maintains that same relaxing vibe while porting to Smash Bros well. The new sound effects (particularly the percussive flair) really emphasize the sea shanty vibe.

Speaking of Sea Shanty, I cracked up when I saw this on the list. I can't wait to see Kapp'n's Theme when it has actually listening quality without the sound effects. I prefer this to K.K.'s jams from Brawl, so nice work here.

Love this revamp, and I'm glad they did it. It would've been easy enough to pull some of the jazzy tunes from Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U, and no one would've complained. But this has so much swing; I love it. As you'll note from listening to the current soundtrack for SSB4, they're relying heavily on those bright tones more than they have in the past. Some of the main themes are really tinny, which isn't a bad thing. Just something to note -- the sax solos kill it here.

These two crack me up. They're so grandiose, but that's Nintendo's style for a lot of these themes. Love the use of flute in Green Greens, although the percussion can be a bit overbearing. But hey, that's Kirby for ya; what can ya do. Rosalina's Observatory continues with that bright theme I mentioned before, with a lot of the melodies piercing through with lots of doubling. I adore the piccolo counter-melodies going on here though. Cute. I'm also glad they didn't revamp Good Egg and Gusty Wind Galaxies. They're perfect as is.

Describes this game perfectly. Absolutely funky and BA. Cuts to the chase but forces you to tap your toes; exactly what a revamp of the main theme should do. Makes me want to fight Multi-Man right now, even though I hate it, haha.

MY MAN. BRINGING BACK N64. Lovely stuff to hear this orchestrated. Can't say enough good things. Everything is spot on about this. A few chord tweaks at the end of the chorus aren't overbearing, but help keep things fresh. Love the triplets intersecting all over as well.

Get hyped. The theme shows that this Smash Bros means business. Hopefully the game designers can rise the occasion as much as the music composers did because dang, they've done work so far. Can't wait to hear the full sound track in less than a month (pinch me).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Please tell me that that awful noise in the Comet Observatory theme was background sounds from fighting. The theme that in its original game was a quiet, graceful waltz, now sounded like a bunch of drunkards staging a dance in a ship on rocky seas, with bits and bobs of furniture bouncing around and everybody being incredibly heavy-footed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)