Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm not sure if this has been suggested or not (like many of us)... I began to read the suggestions and then realized that there was 94 damn pages on them.

My main suggestion: Change the "Socket Hang Up" error message to something less tech-savvy users could understand. It causes a lot of disruption in the lobby everyday with users asking what this message means, as the ladder is down every day. My suggestion is something like this...
The ladder is down due to server overload; If you would like a battle, challenge another user with /challenge or by clicking on their username.

Just a little side suggestion, can we have an auto pop up message that explains Pokemon Showdown to new users who are accessing the site for the first time? A lot of questions are repeated in the lobby... we do have /faq but new users might not even understand how commands work. This may cause problems with users who clear their cookies a lot, but I'm sure we can make it work. :)

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When you use "/othermetas omotm", it displays a link to the Other Meta of the Month thread. However, if I use the actual name of the OMotM instead of the string "omotm" the command fails (for example, if I currently used "/othermetas haxmons" it would not work, and I'd have to use "/othermetas omotm" to get a link to the OMotM thread that contains a link to the Haxmons thread). Since users are more likely to use "/othermetas [actual meta name]" rather than "/othermetas omotm" to see the rules of the month's metagame, it would be useful if the command actually worked and displayed a direct link to the metagame's thread like for the rest of the other metagames. At the very least, the name should be able to be used interchangeably with "omotm" (in case you want to make users go through the OMotM thread for whatever reason) since it's the intuitive option.

I pullrequested this earlier but it seems it was closed without actually being considered.

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
Is there ANY reason that commands don't autocorrect like pokemon do? I feel like I and many other people always mess up, with things like /dat or /scavegne or something like that, and i feel like if the word is close enough, it should autorrect.

Timbuktu

get bukt
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there ANY reason that commands don't autocorrect like pokemon do? I feel like I and many other people always mess up, with things like /dat or /scavegne or something like that, and i feel like if the word is close enough, it should autorrect.
Iirc this is impossible. Think of it like joining rooms. You can join the room 'Lobby' because it's defined as a room, but you can't join 'Lobbby' and have it correct to 'Lobby' because technically it is possible for there to also be a room called 'Lobbby', there just isn't. The only way to solve this issue is to make specific aliases for common misspelled commands, which tbh wouldn't be worth the effort.

In Showdown's teambuilder, Heracross-Mega and Medicham-Mega are still listed as BL despite being OU. Also, Carvanha is listed as NFE despite being legal in LC.

It's a small thing, I know, but I imagine it would be an easy fix and it'd be nice for the teambuilder to be as accurate as possible.

In Showdown's teambuilder, Heracross-Mega and Medicham-Mega are still listed as BL despite being OU. Also, Carvanha is listed as NFE despite being legal in LC.

It's a small thing, I know, but I imagine it would be an easy fix and it'd be nice for the teambuilder to be as accurate as possible.
For the Carvanha thingy, it'll be fixed after restart. For the Heracross-Mega/Medicham-Mega the changes are being implemented in the nearest future.

I not sure if the server lag is still an issue or not, but i just had an idea that might help. instead of having one large server serving 10k+ players, what about a hand full of smaller servers dedicated to a popular metagame + some smaller ones?

I not sure if the server lag is still an issue or not, but i just had an idea that might help. instead of having one large server serving 10k+ players, what about a hand full of smaller servers dedicated to a popular metagame + some smaller ones?
No, running them all at once would be a pain not only because of the lack-of-staff issue for the servers, but in fact because it would take up a lot of space which is unaffordable and the coders would have to keep all the source codes up-to-date and all. If you are the cause of the lag, you have to deal with it as well. As we observe, however, the higher programmers will soon develop such a way that everything will work normally and better with least possible lag.

You can only use level 1000 pokemon in custom games, this isn't a glitch. Nearly everything is allowed in custom game formats.
its a bit annoying tho when i try to battle in custom for fun and then some guy pulls out a lvl 1000 arceus ;-;

i know this isnt the place for this but why does it say fat whenever you quote someone?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do people think of a new badge that is given to Room Owners of public rooms on Showdown? May not be possible / may be a bad idea, but idk it sounds cool to reward ROs which isn't easy to come by.
Room owner status is very different to global moderator status. ROs are appointed with no official process, not run by Smogon; instead they are appointed internally, and they are not badge worthy users much of the time. Also, most ROs are voices, and our current standard is sim mods for a badge, so they don't meet the contributions / character needed for sim drivers or mods. This won't be happening.

i know this isnt the place for this but why does it say fat whenever you quote someone?
It's a joke that stuck.

is there anyway double battles could be 2 people vs 2 people max 3 pokes each or even triples be 3pv3p max 2 pokes each. it would be pretty cool to battle along side frieind like that.

Last edited:
So I had a funny idea I wanted to share. I don't have the time to implement this (and probably not the fortitude either), but I thought it might tickle someone as amusing.

1. Write an autoit script (or in javascript?) so that a program can play Pokemon Showdown by interacting with the UI.
2. Wire up this program to a SQL database.
3. Store this database with the following (probably one or two database table each):
a. Gym Leader "Personalities"
b. All Pokemon
c. All Pokemon moves
d. All Pokemon abilities
e. All common move pools from Smogon for each pokemon
f. Common stat arrangements from Smogon for each pokemon
g. Gym Leader "battle quotes" from the game

4. Write in autoit or javascript (or something) to create the following routine:
A. Generate a team based on the "Gym Leader Personality" (for example let's say "Koga"); pick 6 monotyped pokemon (probably heavily favor pokemon like Crobat and Muk and Venomoth over crappy poison types like Swalot)
B. Use move pools and stat arrangements from database for each pokemon
C. Save team, search for a battle
D. Type into the chat box a quote from table g every 1-3 turns
E. Use an AI algorithm to select moves, probably based on minimax or some kind of limited tree searching algorithm, using the aformentioned database tables to predict the opponent's moves (if Gengar has Shadow Ball and Gigadrain he's likely to have Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, let's say, so the computer won't try to put in someone x4 weak to those moves either).
F. Terrorize Showdown with a swarm of Gym Leader impersonating AI battlers.

Last edited:
is there anyway double battles could be 2 people vs 2 people max 3 pokes each or even triples be 3pv3p max 2 pokes each. it would be pretty cool to battle along side frieind like that.
This has been suggested multiple times before. It's mainly been shot down because of coding difficulties and it would cause lag.

for the team builder, could it be possible to have the recommended sets next to the pokemon? e.g. for mew there would be a set called stall breaker next to it then when u clicked it stall breaker mew would be in ur team builder all ev'd up and ready to go. also, if you choose not to do this, please don't make the suggested EVs retarded. max HP pinsir? max HP garde? hell no.

for the team builder, could it be possible to have the recommended sets next to the pokemon? e.g. for mew there would be a set called stall breaker next to it then when u clicked it stall breaker mew would be in ur team builder all ev'd up and ready to go. also, if you choose not to do this, please don't make the suggested EVs retarded. max HP pinsir? max HP garde? hell no.
Although convenient, the main problem with that is that there are 700 + Pokemon that would constantly have to have set updates with the changing meta... really, we already have Smogon [which has what you described, with the EV's and such all ready to go PLUS an explanation], and even THEY don't have gen 6 sets for every Pokemon. Then we have the other metas, which add more set maintaining, past gens... really, there are too many sets to make that work. If it could happen though, that would be awesome :J

After a Pokemon's move is selected, show the selected move highlighted on screen and below that reads 'Waiting for opponent...". I'm so damn sick of lag and that lag reverting the move I selected if I change my mind on which move I'm selecting on my Pokemon.

Timbuktu

get bukt
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After a Pokemon's move is selected, show the selected move highlighted on screen and below that reads 'Waiting for opponent...". I'm so damn sick of lag and that lag reverting the move I selected if I change my mind on which move I'm selecting on my Pokemon.
There's not much anyone can do about that. Selecting a move and cancelling it after will take a lot longer if the server is laggy... no one can fix that directly.

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
how about rooms that open by default when you open ps? like a list of your "favourite" rooms that you dont have to look for once you start. If that' possible, i think that it would make a great addition. Or maybe it exists and i'm a fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)