Project Victim of the Week

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Decisions, decisions, decisions. Okay, based off of the vote, Nasty Plot will replace Taunt. Also, on NP Thundy, The Bravest Bird is right, Lefties is used instead of LO. I'll change these things pronto. Now, for the entries already submitted.
I really do despise that Thundy set cause its fairly easy to check/counter for most part. Here is one that while not normally thought of first, but fits the bill well enough:

Counter

Magnezone
Item: Specs
Timid
Magnet Pull
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Fire
-Volt Switch

Resists bolt beam, resists most of his common coverage moves (outside of the rare focus blast) and if often fulfills the role of a steel trapper as well while being a great thundy counter. True it will get worn down initially by repeated switch ins, but it usually will rip stuff to shreds as is with two quite spammable STABs and excellent coverage in HP Fire. Sorry if its sounding rushed, but my preferred Zone is usually Lefties Analytic but the scarf/specs one is more common so thought id go with that. :D
Better as a check now, since with Nasty Plot you can be 2hkod.
Counter:

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

He is immune to Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave , also Taunt is useless against him. After a free switch he can outspeed and probably OHKO Thundurus with Rock Slide after Stealth rocks or Life Orb recoil.

252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 226-266 (75.5 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

He has also a good resistance to Hidden Power ice.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 117-139 (32.4 - 38.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO
Still good
:] Counter:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Muddy Water
- Fire Blast

This thing. Easily tanks an HP Ice or four and retaliates with a Draco Meteor or a couple Sludge Bombs(for all you accuracy freaks). Thunder Wave isn't too big of a deal as it's typically moving last anyway. Speed outspeeds 252 Spe Azumarill(and mons that creep to that point, such as heatran or venusaur) To the set listed, it's a pretty hard counter. To all of Thundurus's sets, it's a really hard check, only fearing LO Superpower.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 78-94 (20.3 - 24.5%) -- 72.8% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
240+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 247-292 (82.6 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
240+ SpA Goodra Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 114-135 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Still good, but somewhat shakier
imo Taunt is pretty useful on Thundurus, catch things like Smeargle and Chansey, making them pretty much useless.

Now, back to the victim, I was tempted to do Rotom-W or Thundurus-T, but those are pretty much the first things that come to mind, and I am one to do things that you wouldn't expect. So I came up with

Check

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off/Poison Jab

Conkeldurr is an amazing Pokemon in the OU tier, being able to absorb wild Thunder Waves, Will-O-Wisps, and Toxics with ease and threaten to basically 2 or 3 hit KO almost any Pokemon the opponent if it can't oneshot the opposing Pokemon already. And with being able to increase his already massive attack stat thanks to switching in on a T-wave, it can destroy Thundurus, while it can do less than half to him with LO Thunderbolt.
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 133-156 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 254-300 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

And if it dares Thunder Wave it,
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 380-448 (127 - 149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Much shakier, should be a check.
Counter

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder / Hidden Power Fire

This is another one that's straightforward. Thick Fat makes Venusaur able to tank HP Ices easily, while resisting Thunderbolt and not caring much about Taunt. the only thing it might take a but of damage from is HP Flying though, which isn't used on the set you posted. :o

20 speed outspeeds azumarill with HP Fire's IV drop factored in
Still good, so long as no HP Fly.
Counter

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Extrasensory

AV Raikou can switch into anything that Thundurus throws at him, outspeeds, and easily 2HKOs with Thunderbolt. With immunity to Thunder Wave and with Thunderbolt or HP Ice not even being a guaranteed 5HKO in return, Raikou has nothing to fear from any Thundurus. It also deals heavy enough damage just with Volt Switch that it can maintain momentum in case Thundy decides to switch out. Also, unlike many other counters, AV Raikou does solidly versus just about every other potential Thundurus set, still winning even if it switches into a Knock Off or Focus Blast or Nasty Plot, so you don't need to wait until Thundy's set is revealed before knowing your counter.

Relevant calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 32 SpD Assault Vest Raikou: 60-71 (18.6 - 22.1%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 162-192 (54.1 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Still perfect
Counter:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP/ 88 Def/ 168 SpD
Impish Nature
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

Since Hogg took my AV Raikou (>:I) I have to settle for a regular Thundy counter. Without Focus Blast or Taunt (Nasty Plot is final now, right?), Thundurus has little chance to beat Ferro. +2 HP Ice will hurt, but Leech Seed + Leftovers can recover pretty much all it needs, and LO + Leech Seed + Power Whip will easily wear Thundurus down to its death. Rocks for Rocks purposes, but if you already have a Rocker, then Spikes or Gyro Ball, or maybe even Thunder Wave could be used in that slot. I really appreciate Protect on my Ferro's, the utility it provides alongside Leech Seed is just too good. However, be careful using it, as Thundurus may get up another Nasty Plot if you Protect at a wrong time. Other than that, however, Ferrothorn can fit on pretty much any team, provides good utility with Leech Seed and Stealth Rock, and can do a great job at countering Thundurus.

(Still pissed I can't do Raikou, I was literally writing it up as Hogg posted his set)
Still good
Check

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Slack Off
-Toxic/Stealth Rock

Checks Thundurus by coming in Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. It can recover damage with Slack Off, and If Thundy decides to Taunt it, it gets OHKOed when attacks later, taking into consideration SR, Life Orb recoil and Sandstorm damage. Relevant Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 146-174 (34.7 - 41.4%) -- 67.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 212-250 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Welp, now it has Nasty Plot over Taunt, then Hippo may not be a decent check if it decides to come in into one, taking into consideration Stone Edge's accuracy...
Yeah I'd pick something else for you, since it always 2hkos at +2, while you only 2hko 64% of the time. You're also slower. Sorry for this.
Okay, so now I got to change that damn thing. xD

EDIT: Ironically I sorta caused that myself. xD
lol xD. You could just change Magnezone to a check instead of a counter and be done with it. You also can submit a second one, if you want, come Wednesday.

Just to be clear, the final set is:

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

Sorry guys.

Anyway, I added the Hall of Fame. Congrats to Zebstrika, Lil YoshiXD, Mowtom, WreckDra, Salemance, alexwolf, AM145, Arikado, and Jin White for making it in.
Reserving mamoswine if nasty plot is chosen.
Otherwise ignore this post
Go ahead now.

Good thing this is post #350; we'll have a fresh start page 15.

Last edited:
Check

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mega Ampharos eats up Thunderbolts very easily, with roughly the same bulk as Heatran and a 4x resistance when evolved. Or you can instead opt to delay evolving to avoid the Hidden Power Ice weakness, but it's generally not worth it as Mega Ampharos tanks them anyways. Mega Ampharos also has a Thunder Wave immunity, and a neutrality to Focus Blast (which hits for 2 damage less than Hidden Power Ice, if that helps alleviate any concerns over HP Ice being super effective). Knock Off and Superpower are not really concerns either.

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Mega Ampharos: 27-31 (7 - 8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Mega Ampharos: 96-114 (25 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Mega Ampharos: 190-224 (49.6 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Yeah that's why it's a check and not a counter.

16+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 157-186 (52.5 - 62.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 190-225 (63.5 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's a check and not a counter because somebody had to change it to a nasty plot set while I was typing this up...Anyways, if Thundurus is at +2 on the switch, it will 2HKO Ampharos before Ampharos can 2HKO back. Ampharos can sort of work around this by not mega evolving, but that strategy also has its flaws, like having to use Volt Switch if it wants to do any good damage.

Mega Ampharos probably works best if you have a faster pokemon or a priority user in the back. Mega Ampharos can safely take off a huge chunk of damage with Volt Switch, allowing it to pivot out to anything that can revenge kill a low health Thundurus.

Also the op says I have 6 entries in it. I only have 5, so make sure to accept this one, alright?

Last edited:
Counter

Fuck ur Thundy (Snorlax) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

With great Special Defense, Snorlax can counter Thundurus with relative ease. Lax can easily sponge Thunderbolts, even when Thundy is at +2, and 2HKO with Return. It can even take a +4 Tbolt if Thundy NPs on the switch and NPs again as you go for Return

252+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 217-256 (72.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Snorlax: 177-208 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+4 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Snorlax: 262-310 (56.8 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Snorlax: 88-105 (19 - 22.7%) -- possible 5HKO

Last edited:
Counter

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Mamoswine can easily come in on any move and threaten to OHKO with Icicle Crash. It's immune to Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave and HP Ice does pretty terrible damage even at +2 thanks to Thick Fat. A Hasty nature can be used over Naive specifically to sponge HP Ice better, but it leaves Mamo open to other forms of priority.

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 54-64 (15 - 17.8%) -- possible 6HKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Mamoswine: 96-114 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 484-569 (161.8 - 190.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Reserving mamoswine if nasty plot is chosen.
Otherwise ignore this post
>.<

Reactions: AM

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
This post is for Raikou :)

Edit: whelp, time to go searching again
I'll do the based oven instead then.

Name:Rotom-Heat

Check vs Counter

Set:

Rotom-H @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Rest

Countering when SR is not on the field:
This Rotom forme resists the mighty Bolt Beam coverage this Nasty Plot Thundurus runs and even has the added perk of resisting HP Flying. I still only consider a check, since it can only switch in and win one on one if Stealth Rock is not on the field; Thundurus does not like its encounter this thing either way though. IF Thundurus does not Nasty Play on your Switch to Rotom, then you potentially get a free burn or Volt Switch which is big considering howfar behind these moves can put your opponent. If Thundurus does Nasty Plot on your switch (signaling that it wants to try and take on Rotom), Rotom will still want to use Will-O-Wisp unless obvious pivot is obvious. This Rotom is designed to live 2 +2 Thunderbolts from Thundurus; So after burning it, Rest immediately and then smack it with Overheat the turn after. Overheat again to finish Thundy off. This will leave Rotom low, but Resting again means that Thundurus will take down Rotom along with itself.

Checking Thundy:
As a check, Rotom has more turns for burn to chip away at Thundurus, meaning it will come out on top all the time unless hax happens. This has the same procedure as countering Thundy: Burn it, then Smack it with Overheat... only you don't need to Rest in the middle of it.

Thundurus vs Rotom:
  • 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Rotom-H: 63-75 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
  • +2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Rotom-H: 127-150 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +4 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Rotom-H: 191-225 (63 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +6 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Rotom-H: 255-300 (84.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Rotom vs Thundurus
  • 0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 177-208 (59.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
  • -2 0 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 88-105 (29.4 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
  • 0 SpA Rotom-H Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 94-112 (31.4 - 37.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Counter

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell/Wish
- Toxic/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

This is a pretty boring counter, but Chansey essentially walls most special attackers to hell and back, Thundurus included. Basically the only move that Thundurus has that can threaten Chansey is Knock Off, causing Chansey to drop its ever so important Eviolite, and most Thundurus don't carry it (especially not Nasty Plot Thundurus). Other than that, Chansey tanks everything. Special attacks like Thunderbolt and HP Ice, or even Focus Blast, do almost no damage. Thunder Wave is only a minor annoyance at best and can be cured with either Heal Bell or Natural Cure. And even Superpower can be stalled out with Soft-Boiled, since it grows repeatedly weaker each time Thundurus uses it (you can't switch directly into Superpower if Thundurus is running significant attack EVs and Life Orb, but any set weaker on the physical side and you can switch into a Superpower, tank another one, and heal with Soft-Boiled). Even Nasty Plot doesn't do much to help, as Chansey can stall out +6 Thunderbolt! Taunt is obviously annoying to Chansey, but even then Chansey scores a clean 4HKO on Thundurus with Seismic Toss, whereas Thundurus only dreams about KOing Chansey back in a similar amount of time.

Here are some damage calcs as an example.

Standard Special Attacks
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 73-87 (11.3 - 13.5%) -- possible 8HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 33-39 (5.1 - 6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 130-154 (20.2 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Boosted Thunderbolt
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 73-87 (11.3 - 13.5%) -- possible 8HKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 145-172 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- 32.9% chance to 4HKO
+4 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 219-258 (34.1 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 291-343 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO

In return, Chansey can permanently cripple Thundurus with Toxic, or find a free turn to set up rocks if you're into that kind of thing (Toxic is the best choice when dealing with Thudurus, because even if he accumulates too much boosts, if you poison him, you can beat +6 Thundurus by simply spamming Soft-boiled until he dies). You can also just straight up 4HKO Thundurus with Seismic Toss, while he barely scratches you. And you'll never be far from full health because you have reliable recovery in the form of Soft-Boiled.

Last edited:
Counter

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Did you just boost up? Oh okay, why am I fully unaware of that? You mean that's my ability? Oh yey, I just countered you.
I don't really know what else I can add, so here's a calc.
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 90-107 (22.8 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Check

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Wild Charge
- U-Turn

Thanks to its ground type, diggerscarf won't give a shit on t-wave from thundy. Scarf is enough to outpace Greninja, which is faster than thundy. Return OKHOs thundurus a good amount of the time, so you can work with this set. Only a check since a +2 HP Ice flat out kills it.

Check

Manectric (M) @ Manectite

Trait: Lightningrod

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Volt Switch

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Flamethrower

Being given a Mega Form, Manetric has turned into a great pokemon this gen, creating the infamous volt-turn intimidate core with Lando-T. Standard set and iv spread. Flamethrower because i hate -2 Spatk from OverHeat. This thing is a very interesting check to Thundy because of Lightningrod. There're 2 situations:

_If manetric hasn't mega evolved yet:
Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. Lightning Rod Manectric: 0-0 (0 - 0%) - Thanks for +1 Boost

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric: 96-114 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The fun thing is this. Thunderbolt, even resist, gets more damage over HP ice but because of Lightning Rod, it forces Thundy to keep using HP ice. That's when you mega evolve manetric:
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 77-91 (27.4 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO so if you play carefully, manetric will take only about 60% to 70% HP or even 30% and hav +1 boost
Manetric can then outspeed to 2hko Thundy:
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 183-216 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

_If manetric has mega evolved:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 172-203 (61.2 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 153-181 (54.4 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so in every situation, if both Pokes are in full health, Manetric will always win due to his mega's faster speed. Check only because both pokes 2hko each other almost every time

Another Check

Latias (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Defog

- Healing Wish

with high Spdef, latias can easily take even one +2 HP ice and a SR in full health and OHKO Thundy with Draco Meteor (unlike Latios, which get 31,3% chance of being OHKO after SR):
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 296-348 (98.9 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RHYPERIOR - CHECK

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Ice Punch / Megahorn

This is the Rhyperior's UU tank set that I use in ou tier for flyspam but it's very useful against this thundurus. Immunity to electric type and amazing ability solid rock. 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature make Rhyperior a formidable offensive presence. Great check!

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 217-256 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

16+ Atk Rhyperior Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 320-380 (107 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Check

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Superpower

252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 316-372 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Stone Edge misses, 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 308-364 (96.5 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Scarfed Ground-type pokemon are good checks to Thundurus, as they are immune to Prankster Thunder Wave, and Landorus-T has enough power to pick up a guaranteed OHKO on this Thundurus set with Stone Edge.

Landorus-T is not the most reliable check to Thundurus, as you need to rely on Stone Edge's shaky 80% accuracy. Additionally, by bringing it into to revenge kill Thundurus, you're revealing that it's Choice Scarf Landorus-T, but it makes up for that by being a very strong pokemon in the metagame in general, with a fast U-Turn, excellent coverage and power, and ability to soft check most physical attackers that lack an Ice-type move.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd pick something else for you, since it always 2hkos at +2, while you only 2hko 64% of the time. You're also slower. Sorry for this.
Okay then:

Check

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Rockslide/Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock/Pursuit
-Crunch

Tyranitar always OHKOs with your STAB Rock move of choice while Thundurus only has a 22.3% chance to 2HKO Tyranitar after Leftovers recovery at +2. As Tyranitar is slow per se, Thunder Wave's speed drop shouldn't hinder it too much, without factoring parahax. Calcs:

252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 368-434 (123 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Okay then:

Check

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Rockslide/Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock/Pursuit
-Crunch

Tyranitar always OHKOs with your STAB Rock move of choice while Thundurus only has a 22.3% chance to 2HKO Tyranitar after Leftovers recovery at +2. Calcs:

252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 368-434 (123 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar is a great check to non-focus miss Thundy, but i suggest Scarf Tyranitar is even better, outspeed and ko thundy, while Thunderbolt can only 3hko it in sand. That set actually even counters Thundy: 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 96-114 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
LOL 0%

Tyranitar is a great check to non-focus miss Thundy, but i suggest Scarf Tyranitar is even better, outspeed and ko thundy, while Thunderbolt can only 3hko it in sand. That set actually even counters Thundy: 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 96-114 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
LOL 0%
Yeah, I thought about that set too, and about another one with Assault Vest, but couldn't decide for one over another. I finally put the one I thought was the most common set.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
Check

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Superpower

252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 316-372 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Stone Edge misses, 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 308-364 (96.5 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Scarfed Ground-type pokemon are good checks to Thundurus, as they are immune to Prankster Thunder Wave, however Landorus-T is the only ground type with enough power to hold a Choice Scarf and pick up a guaranteed OHKO on this Thundurus set.

Landorus-T is not the most reliable check to Thundurus, as you need to rely on Stone Edge's shaky 80% accuracy. Additionally, by bringing it into to revenge kill Thundurus, you're revealing that it's Choice Scarf Landorus-T, but it makes up for that by being a very strong pokemon in the metagame in general, with a fast U-Turn, excellent coverage and power, and ability to soft check most physical attackers that lack an Ice-type move.
Imo lando-t it's not a check. You can't switch safely into Hidden power ice.

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 308-364 (96.5 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Imo lando-t it's not a check. You can't switch safely into Hidden power ice.

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 308-364 (96.5 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
That's why I indicated that it was a check, not a counter. A check doesn't need to be able to safely switch in, whereas a counter does.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
That's why I indicated that it was a check, not a counter. A check doesn't need to be able to safely switch in, whereas a counter does.
Good, I don't understand what's a check. In this case lando-t is a revenge killer in my opinion but I can in error.

"We are not looking for revenge killers, but for checks that are able to switch into the Pokemon in question at least once, and of course counters"

Good, I don't understand what's a check. In this case lando-t is a revenge killer in my opinion but I can in error.

"We are not looking for revenge killers, but for checks that are able to switch into the Pokemon in question at least once, and of course counters"
I understand, but I think Thundurus is a bit different from other pokemon, as it has access to Prankster Thunder Wave, so if say Greninja tries to revenge kill it, then Greninja will end up being Thunder Waved, and will be essentially useless for the rest of the match. I think it's acceptable to list Choice Scarf Landorus-T as a check to Thundurus, as not many pokemon can reliably revenge kill Thundurus without being Thunder Waved, and in practice, Landorus-T is used in this role on a lot of offensive teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)