XY Doubles Rain Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to try out my Gen 5 Rain Team in Doubles. It worked rather well, but I did have to swap out the tentacruel I hand on there (Mainly cause I didnt need Rapid Spin Support). I looked it over and well..I feel like it still needs a little TLC. This is the first time I ever tried making a Doubles team, so please bear with me. I plan on using this team in-Game, and pretty much have all the Pokemon Bred for it (Bar the Hydregion and the tentacruel [Never managed to find a tenacool W/ rain Dish]. Also I dont use legends so please dont suggest them.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Obviously this guy sets up rain. As my team relies heavily on the rain, I went with a more Defensive set. Politoad is pretty well switched out on turn one. If he has to stay in, its either toxic, or Perish Song to try and force switches. If Toxic is used, I generally just try to stall with Toad.

@ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 120 Atk / 132 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Substitute

I like this set up. It gives Toxicroak longevity and a lot of hard hitting potential. Set up Sub Sub, get 1-2 Bulk ups off, then Either Drain Punch for more heal, or Ice Punch. I am debating wether to switch out Ice Punch for Poison Jab, as I don't really have alot of coverage for Fairy types.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

Pretty self explanitory, Fast Special sweeper.

@ Chesto Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Rest

This is pretty much an Offensive wall. Curse as many times as possible, rest away any damage taken, then proceed to Gyro Ball.

@ Quick Claw
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

@ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

These two will be in one paragraph, mainly cause....Im unsure of them. Hydergion works with Jolteon in a weird U-turn/ Volt turn system . He mainly fires off a Draco meteor then U-turns out of there. Dragagle, was put in after I realized/ found out a spinner wasn't really necessary. Im not really sure that these two.....Fit. Im thinking about swapping out one of them with a fast physical sweeper as that is currently something that this team is missing. Also maybe a Bulky Pokemon on the Special Side?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

*looks at team*
*sweats*

W-well there's a lot of Pokemon I wouldn't consider viable in Doubles, and the problem is excaberated by that you have to build it ingame. But w/ever let's make it good.

Look at this tooo
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue34/protect-your-tool
Tldr use more protect.

For Politoed, change Toxic to either Ice Beam or Encore.Toxic stalling isn't viable at all in Doubles, since the turns fly by too fast. Encore could give you an easier time to P-Song successfully, while Ice Beam gives you better coverage.

Toxicroak (and setting up in general, due to the fast pace of the metagame) is pretty bad in Doubles. I would suggest Terrakion to replace it, since it gives you much better coverage, and is a more viable fighting type, beating M-Kang 1 on 1.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Quick Guard can be replaced by Taunt (especially on the ladder because it's shit). Also gives you a fast physical sweeper.

forgot no legends (trade for em imo)
hitmontop could work here

Mega Manectric > Jolteon. Outclasses it and shit, more bulk, yay Intimidate, here's a set:

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Thunderbolt is used instead of Thunder, so that Manectric can get rid of Charizard Y.

For Ferrothorn, give it Iron Head and Thunder Wave. I've already stated that setting up is terrible. However, Ferrothorn is good on Rain, and gives good utility through flat-out walling and speed control.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

EVs allow you to OHKO Rotom-Ws, with the Lum Berry letting you brush off burns. Also useful in letting you play well against Trick Room.

Protect > U-Turn, Dark Pulse > Superpower, Life Orb > Quick Claw on Hydreigon. You've got fighting coverage already, so you should take advantage of Hydreigon's wonderful STABs. Protect because Protect is the dankest. Dark Pulse so that you can hit stuff such as Aegislash and Cresselia, who would give you problems otherwise. Life Orb because 20% is no.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Fire Blast is used in case Scizor or Ferrothorn give you trouble. Otherwise Earth Power can be used in the slot.

My final change would be Ludicolo > Dragalge. It's not very useful, and it doesn't do much for the team anyways. Ludicolo is a standard choice for most rain teams, and for good reason. Fake Out support, Ice/Water/Grass coverage and massive bulk give it a strong combination of support and offense.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

It can take out threats such as Landorus-T and Rotom-W, while brute forcing it's way past others with Rain + STAB boosted Hydro Pump. Also, you can take advantage of your rain more with it.

On a final note, Indie Flop is correct in that you need more description (not meaning to minimod doe). Reason being it lets raters judge what this Pokemon does for your team, and subsequently suggest changes that go a correct direction.

To the whole "more Description", I must apologize, but whats there is the best IM able to do. I'm more of a "short sweet and to the point" when it comes to things. If I have to "explain" I tend to ramble. I also understand the need for protect, but this was once a singles team (I think I meantioned that in my first post) and I pretty well just didnt want a team that needed a lot of breeding or swapping.

Anyways, Thanks wllmagic, Gave me a lot to think about.

Politoad- Yeah, Ill likely swap out for Ice-Beam

Mega-Manectric- I agree. Only problem I see, is that I need to Breed for HP, and I haven't had much luck in the past with Breeding Hp (Ive only had it happen TWICE where Ive managed to get the Hp I wanted). Ill likely attempt to breed one with HP-Ice, but I will keep Jolteon in reserve in case Im unable to get it.

Ill likely Keep Toxicroak, mainly cause Hitmontop does not impress me.

I Kinda dont want to change Ferrothorns set, mainly cause I am rather proud of how it works and how well it does.

Hydregion, What you wrote is pretty much the truth. Though Im not sure if the Hydregion I have has Dark Pulse on it, since id have to breed Dark Pulse onto this on.

And I Agree with you on Dragagle 100%. I had on bred and trained......and well it really needs its Hidden Ability to be usefull. As for you suggestion for the party Pineapple, I can understand what your getting at, and I can see it being rather usefull. Im not 100% sold on it mainly cause it....never really apealed to me.

Ill likely try out what has been suggested to see how it flows. Again, thanks for the advice.

you need at least three lines of description for each pokemon in order to explain the choices in the pokemon and sets, and not just short points stating obvious things, such as a pokemon being a sweeper. take a look at the rmt rules and other rmts to see what's expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)