ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to say that it's about time Kyogre and Groudon get their own signature moves, considering the fact that the practice started in Gold and Silver. Latias, Latios, Jirachi, and Deoxys all had signature moves at their introduction, while Rayquaza still doesn't even have an equivalent to Water Spout and Eruption. This leads me to ask, whether it gets a primal form or not, what is the likelihood that Rayquaza will be given a signature move as well, now that new moves for its contemporaries are confirmed?

I'd have to say that it's about time Kyogre and Groudon get their own signature moves, considering the fact that the practice started in Gold and Silver. Latias, Latios, Jirachi, and Deoxys all had signature moves at their introduction, while Rayquaza still doesn't even have an equivalent to Water Spout and Eruption. This leads me to ask, whether it gets a primal form or not, what is the likelihood that Rayquaza will be given a signature move as well, now that new moves for its contemporaries are confirmed?
Inevitable, as is the idea of Rayquaza getting a Primal. It just doesn't make sense for the third part of the trio to be left out.
... and also it's the most popular legend in japan so

I should be exited about new moves, but I'm just sad that Cobaroll will have to change his pic. I love that rollercoaster part and use it in Rollercoaster Tycoon all the time.

Anyway, I believe that Kyogre's signature move is probably a Water type Psystrike, as in Power 100. If it's not, then it will have a Power of at least 130. Groudon's move is harder to guess, but someone guessed that it's a Ground/Fire move in the same way Flying Press is Fighting/Flying and if you ask me, that's a very good guess. I believe that if it's not a pure Fire type move then there's a good chance for it to be Fire/Ground.
He could probably have it changed to a codfish for a week?

What makes me think it's like psystrike is mainly because it starts off as tiny orbs surround the target and attack it like Psyshock and Psystrike. The thought of Kyogre hitting from both sides of offense is just....delicious. But that is a conversation for another time.

You people are saying that the Hoenn rivals were pushovers but no one brought up the fight on Route 110. That fight was actually challenging depending on your team.
I half-agree with this. On one hand, Taillow will wreck Combusken and Grovyle, and if you have a Lotad, Seedot, or Shroomish, you can beat Marshtomp. On the other hand, not everyone uses these mons in every run, and it is very difficult if you don't have them.

I half-agree with this. On one hand, Taillow will wreck Combusken and Grovyle, and if you have a Lotad, Seedot, or Shroomish, you can beat Marshtomp. On the other hand, not everyone uses these mons in every run, and it is very difficult if you don't have them.
I'll be honest, I had to look this battle up because I didn't remember it at all. When I did, I remember losing because of stun spore hax. Besides that, the battle wasn't anything. You can easily beat it with 2 appropriately leveled and balanced pokemon. I wouldn't mind if there was anything redeeming about the rival, but there isn't, so I feel justified being mad at gf for screwing up such an important part of he franchise so bad. They made a good first step with expanding their roles, but to be a rival, you have to be on a similar level, and that means we need to see a better final team that actually takes more than 1 over leveled starter to beat

I am 100% pro-patch, but this argument seems to have run its course and while confirmation of the brand new moves strengthens the patch argument, it's not anything that wasn't discussed last time, and that convo got so bad that it needed mod intervention, so I'm just ting to say "no thank you"

Last edited:
Amazing, so new moves confirmed at least for Groudon and Kyogre. Now we just have to wait until we know the power, type, accuracy and effects of those 2 which is the best part of knowing moves.

This also either reinforces that there will be a patch for X/Y or the moves have to be forgotten before transfering them to Pokebank and from there to X/Y.

or it could be like what happens when you do a local link battle with gen4 dp and plat/hgss and gen 5 with bw1 with bw2 where the newer cart mechanics is used for all mechanics instead of the older cart.

or it could be like what happens when you do a local link battle with gen4 dp and plat/hgss and gen 5 with bw1 with bw2 where the newer cart mechanics is used for all mechanics instead of the older cart.
Except we've never really had anything like this before - these are completely new moves that are found absolutely nowhere in XY's code. Even Kyurem's BW2 signature moves were in BW's code, but we have nothing that resembles Kyogre and Groudon's new moves at all.

Just pointing out that Groudon's new move is unlikely to be dual Ground/Fire since it was super effective against Blaziken.

Yeah, Kyogre's Move's sound effect is normal effectiveness - which I guess destroys my 'super freeze dry' theory - while Groudon's clearly makes a super effective sound effect. So it's ground, which... makes sense, since it's primarily a ground type connected to the land. The Fire is just there as a reference to Magma; it's not the main component that makes Groudon Groudon.

inb4 groudon's is super psycho cut

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Drat. I forgot to take into account moves that could be learn-able only temporarily, by ORAS-exclusive super forms of old Pokémon. By coding this right, GameFreak could eliminate the need for compatibility by making Primal Groudon/Kyogre incompatible with XY, thus ensuring that no Groudon or Kyogre would ever use the "unknown" moves against an XY cartridge.

Speaking of cod-ing, if the moves (which at least in Groudon's case is strongly implied to be a Ground move) turn out to be Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves after all, I expect a lot of people's avatars to change into herrings.

In the contest part, Mega Altaria is seen among dark clouds and thunder. If what I hypothesized about Spectacular Talents being based on typing, that is probably the Dragon one. Still hoping they are not just cosmetic changes.
I don't know what to expect from the new moves. They might just be Water/Ground versions of Blue Flare and Bolt Strike. I'm inclined to believe the moves' names will contain Ruby/Sapphire, taking in accont the huge red pillar in Groudon's. Also, if Primal Rayquaza turns out to be a thing, would it get a new move too? I'm hoping for a Flying one. (Emerald Raptor sounds pretty badass)
It makes me wonder if there will be any other new moves besides the legendary ones. They are giving themselves more liberties than before, so I wouldn't discard this possibility even if it's a tad unlikely.

Drat. I forgot to take into account moves that could be learn-able only temporarily, by ORAS-exclusive super forms of old Pokémon. By coding this right, GameFreak could eliminate the need for compatibility by making Primal Groudon/Kyogre incompatible with XY, thus ensuring that no Groudon or Kyogre would ever use the "unknown" moves against an XY cartridge.

Speaking of cod-ing, if the moves (which at least in Groudon's case is strongly implied to be a Ground move) turn out to be Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves after all, I expect a lot of people's avatars to change into herrings.
I'm not 100% sure what you're suggesting, but I very very much doubt that the moves will be Primal-exclusive. It's basically been confirmed that Primal Reversions are like Mega Evolutions, in that they happen mid-battle. (I think we saw a Primal Reversion in a battle in one of the trailers.) Unless Kyogre and Groudon are going to try to learn their moves every time they undergo Primal Reversion, XY is going to have to handle these new moves, unless they ban the moves specifically in ORAS-XY battles (which is entirely possible).

My point, if I wasn't clear, was that even Kyogre/Groudon not holding their Primal Orbs or whatever will almost certainly still be able to know their exclusive moves.

Last edited:
I was going to rule it out completely, but then I watched this video and the resemblance is uncanny.

Thousand Arrows at 00:55 - lots of pointy arrows being shot into the sky
Groudon's new moves: lots of pointy stone pillars emerging from the ground.

Thousand Waves at 01:15 - lots of bubble-like things moving in the target's direction.
Kyogre's new moves: lots of bubble-like thing surrounding and hitting the target.

One could argue they just improved the animations to make them fit better their ground and water-type users.

And then I looked it up: Thousand Waves is a ground-type physical move. We've got to agree GF can not break this rule, right?

Last edited:

Oh my god, that cod avatar on you is legit one of the saddest things ever.
But yeah it's definitely possible they could prevent you from going into battle with an XY player if you have one of these moves on your Pokémon.

And then I looked it up: Thousand Waves is a ground-type physical move. We've got to agree GF can not break this rule, right?
Why not? Can a patch not "correct" the typing of a move (or Pokemon, for that matter)? There is literally nothing stopping GF from changing the typing of a move, especially those that have not been released, yet.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I was going to rule it out completely, but then I watched this video and the resemblance is uncanny.

Between Zygrade's Hexagons being in the move animations and the weirdness of Groudon's move being called Thousand Waves if this guess is right, I don't think Game Freak is changing the typing of those moves. (The reason I said Goudon's move was Thousand Waves is because Kyogre's move looks more like Thousand Arrows then Thousand Waves.)

Also Did Codaroll change his username as well as his pic? I'm pretty sure it was Cobraroll before.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why not? Can a patch not "correct" the typing of a move (or Pokemon, for that matter)? There is literally nothing stopping GF from changing the typing of a move, especially those that have not been released, yet.
Except that they had no reason not to get it correct the first time, considering how far in advance design decisions such as these are taken. Why at all implement moves you haven't even finalized, if you have the capacity to simply put them in later?

Except for throwing red herrings to the fans, of course. But even I expect Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves to be made for Zygarde Formes à la Kyurem, come "Z" or "X2Y2". Though I'm not completely ruling out that they are new moves for Groudon and Kyogre, they seem all to similar to what happened to Kyurem, and GameFreak are known for repeating patterns.

Then again, relying on repeating patterns was what put me into this mess to begin with. Oh well, I kinda like my new username!

Sure, I've thought of that as well (even though I believe it's unlikely), but if there's a patch changing a move completely and just leaving its name the same, I don't think we can say it's the same move found in XY and that's the possibility I was considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)