Metagame Trends

Lucario isn't really a member of the core, though. It's a sweeper that capitalizes on the core keeping hazards up. In fact, the whole start to the team was just to keep hazards always on the field, it would work with any sweeper.
Theres very few ways the team can be reliably built without degrading the purpose of the core.

Basically its Froslass(Spikes), M-Aero(Rocks), Sableye(SpinBlock), Sweeper, Revenge, Hera/Fighting Check. More taunters the better to prevent defogging. Crobat generally takes that last slot as it also carries taunt. If you run crobat might as well take advantage of Lucario's typing meshing well with you accidentally getting popped by banded/scarfed stone edge for free setup. Hyd definitely is the most consistent revenge killer and takes great advantage of hazards with its forced U-turns.

Lucario's 4mss is annoying as all hell though.

The first 3 mons are pretty much locked in, the rest can be changed up a bit. I'm sure a pert version can work, but it just isn't the same in the current meta.

Also screw everyone who outspeedcreeps my Sableye OML. Some times I feel I need max speed jolly smh.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Theres very few ways the team can be reliably built without degrading the purpose of the core.

Basically its Froslass(Spikes), M-Aero(Rocks), Sableye(SpinBlock), Sweeper, Revenge, Hera/Fighting Check. More taunters the better to prevent defogging. Crobat generally takes that last slot as it also carries taunt. If you run crobat might as well take advantage of Lucario's typing meshing well with you accidentally getting popped by banded/scarfed stone edge for free setup. Hyd definitely is the most consistent revenge killer and takes great advantage of hazards with its forced U-turns.

Lucario's 4mss is annoying as all hell though.

The first 3 mons are pretty much locked in, the rest can be changed up a bit. I'm sure a pert version can work, but it just isn't the same in the current meta.

Also screw everyone who outspeedcreeps my Sableye OML. Some times I feel I need max speed jolly smh.
the core is and always have been froslass / sableye / swampert just too make it clear too everyone, im sure mega aero works too but then it's not standard core, and means no mega aero is not locked into it.

the core is and always have been froslass / sableye / swampert just too make it clear too everyone, im sure mega aero works too but then it's not standard core, and means no mega aero is not locked into it.
I fail to see how Swampert is superior. The only thing Swampert has over Mega Aero is a safer switch in to Darma/Victini (banded still 3hkos, you need 36 speed EVs to remove prediction) and the ability to toxic Mega Blastoise. While in theory its nice to be able to use that toxic to stall it out with Sableye, you need to really see what you are missing. You hand out free switchins to stuff like Shaymin and Hydreigon which are basically going to get a kill everytime they come in. You also lose perhaps the most anti-lead lead in M-Aero, leaving you more vulnerable to other HO playstyles (M-Aero shits on Azelf leads, even those with tbolt). Losing that taunt is just not worth.

Also most Mega Blastoise I've seen lately have Hydro which will 2/3hko sableye on the switch (especially if you speed creep).

the reason why mega aero isn't as good as swampert in this core is the fact that maero can't afford to phaze (it gets roar but you're obviously not running that); swampert is such good glue for these types of teams, since it's the most reliable phazer / rocks setter, and, most importantly, it switches into two of the things that in my experience, are annoying as fuck for these teams not carrying pert, mega aero and mega aggron, being able to tank like...pretty much everything they hit you with barring shit like toxic m-agg. with mega aero, you're risking the speed tie / the fact that they could be running more speed than you for opposing aeros, and you just get royally fucked by mega agg, losing a shit ton of momentum in the process. this also goes for forry and cune, but usually these types of teams have ways to deal with them anyway (sableye, shaymin, etc). you're also missing the fact that you can potentially save lass as death fodder after setting up spikes, in which case you can go out to something that can check that threat to your team.

also i didn't put toxic on pert in the core for a good reason, you need pretty much every move on there so idk why you're mentioning it.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
I fail to see how Swampert is superior. The only thing Swampert has over Mega Aero is a safer switch in to Darma/Victini (banded still 3hkos, you need 36 speed EVs to remove prediction) and the ability to toxic Mega Blastoise. While in theory its nice to be able to use that toxic to stall it out with Sableye, you need to really see what you are missing. You hand out free switchins to stuff like Shaymin and Hydreigon which are basically going to get a kill everytime they come in. You also lose perhaps the most anti-lead lead in M-Aero, leaving you more vulnerable to other HO playstyles (M-Aero shits on Azelf leads, even those with tbolt). Losing that taunt is just not worth.

Also most Mega Blastoise I've seen lately have Hydro which will 2/3hko sableye on the switch (especially if you speed creep).
what bouffalant said, but also the the core is made to rack up as much damage with status, hazards and phazing easy like that. swampert also has the perfect typing walling a shitton off physical attackers in the uu metagame, it's also not rock weak and has a great utility move in scald which obviously mega aero doesn't have. if you want to use mega aero with this core i will suggest to use it with taunt to prevent defog and abuse it's excellent cleaning/breaking abilities to it's fullest.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Hi, jw is Hyper Offense viable in UU? I've been trying to run a hyper offense team and I've been having a lot of difficulty with it. I'm wondering if this is due to a flaw in my team or if hyper offense in general just isn't as strong as other, more balanced playstyles.

For reference, the team consists of a suicide lead Azelf, Scarf Darmanitan, Focus Sash Alakazam, LO Roserade and Lucario, and Choice Band Haxorus.

hyper offense isnt as strong as bulky offense and balance in uu, theres just too much bulky stuff in the tier and not enough sweepers to get past it all. speed boosters outside of haxorus are almost non-existant, so its really not that hard to revenge kill most things that do try to set up also

no one have mentioned granbull yet? however it's being quite popular in the UU tier and grand slam games clearly show that. It provides a good mon for balanced / stall teams being able to take in check things like Hydreigon, fighting types like Heracross and Mienshao with its fairy type + intimidate. It has some cool and mexican support moves like Thunder Wave and of only support like Heal Bell, it only lacks a recovery move but Wish exists and Blissey is one of the best pokèmon of the tier anyway. It has also a base attack of 120 which lets it not to be setup fodder for many things and to hit quite hard even without investiment with Play Rough. Definitely a cool mon to use in general.

Um, isnt it mentioned in the first post, I think Bouff even complained about it.

Is it just me, or is set-up sweepers being exchanged for choicers, it's prolly the lack of good speed sweepers (only haxorus comes to mind) allowing mega areo, and crobat to revenge most threats.

Um, isnt it mentioned in the first post, I think Bouff even complained about it.

Is it just me, or is set-up sweepers being exchanged for choicers, it's prolly the lack of good speed sweepers (only haxorus comes to mind) allowing mega areo, and crobat to revenge most threats.
Mega Houndoom and Toxicroak are both superb set up sweepers within the tier.

But to address your prior comment, yes, UU is a land of scarf wars.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Increasing in popularity for the past month or so. Nice speed tier to get the jump on scarf hydra. And if you play offense you know if your scarfer is outsped you're boned. Luke also can't switch in carefree like it does with Hydra too. Outrage is also a better lategame cleaner than DM. All in all fun to use annoying as fuck to face

Ampharos itself has been skyrocketing in usage recently. One thing people need to realize though... if you're leaving it un-mevo'd to kill that Hydreigon, please realize you're pretty much using a 80 BP coverage move on a 115 SpA Modest Ampharos with no boosting item... aka weak as fuck

252+ SpA Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 204-240 (62.7 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Otherwise an overall cool 'mon. Very cool how it's still able to get momentum against Blissey.
Amphy is the best! But focus blast is the better option in a 1v1 with hydreigon...

252+ SpA Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 288-340 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

this thread is dead and i really wish it wasn't =/

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

really the best offensive sr setter at the moment, in most cases there wouldn't be much reason to use it over nidoqueen who has an immunity to volt switch and toxic spikes, but jirachi provides a much-needed dragon- and flying- resist on bulky offensive teams, a fast U-turn which is great to keep up offensive momentum, and now even serves as a great Togekiss answer provided it doesn't switch into a +2 Fire Blast. It also can provide some hax early game versus opposing offensive teams, which is always nice. :o

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

really the best offensive sr setter at the moment, in most cases there wouldn't be much reason to use it over nidoqueen who has an immunity to volt switch and toxic spikes, but jirachi provides a much-needed dragon- and flying- resist on bulky offensive teams, a fast U-turn which is great to keep up offensive momentum, and now even serves as a great Togekiss answer provided it doesn't switch into a +2 Fire Blast. It also can provide some hax early game versus opposing offensive teams, which is always nice. :o
Seconding this, this set kicks serious ass. Considering Crunch on Luc isn't too common, it's best way of taking it out is CC, which cannot OHKO even with 2 SR switchins, and can then be OHKOed in return with a Fire Punch on -1 Defense. Not to be forgotten, as Bouff mentioned, every poke under 100 speed is at risk of getting haxxed to death.

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Mega Aggron: 22-27 (6.3 - 7.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Except you.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Seconding this, this set kicks serious ass. Considering Crunch on Luc isn't too common, it's best way of taking it out is CC, which cannot OHKO even with 2 SR switchins, and can then be OHKOed in return with a Fire Punch on -1 Defense. Not to be forgotten, as Bouff mentioned, every poke under 100 speed is at risk of getting haxxed to death.

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Mega Aggron: 22-27 (6.3 - 7.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Except you.
Actually STAB CC deals more damage then crunch but whatever.

I usually use enough speed to beat nidoking so I have a bit extra bulk if I need to check something else in an emergency.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

I prefer Body Slam > U-turn. U-turn can work better on volturn teams but BS is a better move for the rest of teams.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sub Toxic Jirachi still takes the meta by Storm. You toxic on the switch and sub down or just flinch something to death. I have killed Mega Ampharos and Hippowdon in times when I didn't really need Jirachi anymore, you can sac it and toxic flinch something to death it's pretty great. Jirachi for S rank imo.

Sub Toxic Jirachi still takes the meta by Storm. You toxic on the switch and sub down or just flinch something to death. I have killed Mega Ampharos and Hippowdon in times when I didn't really need Jirachi anymore, you can sac it and toxic flinch something to death it's pretty great. Jirachi for S rank imo.
SubSlam Jirachi works just as well with Togekiss for ParaFlinch fun.

No one is sleeping on SD Luc except for that guy in the replay. He let pert take all sorts of damage for no reason.
With Bro gone however, being able to run BP or Ice Punch > Crunch is a pretty nice bonus.
Even Max/Max+ Pert dies to +2 CC after any prior damage so it isn't a check unless it is Scarf Pert (lolwut). Lucario is a definite threat to look out for and part of the reason why Fire Punch Rachi is so good atm.

Well, I didn't think Ice Punch is that warranted given Gligar is fairly uncommon and I'm using Goddamn Kyurem (Pro-tip when using Kyurem: Outrage easily 2HKOS Blissey with a Life Orb and just a little Attack investment), so I threw on coverage to mangle Fairies. In fairness to my opponent, Blissey is the one thing that Lucario can set up on that was on his team. Everything else OHKOs it or, in Togekiss' place, cripples it badly.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Bullet Punch would have done the job there. Two of Bullet Punch's biggest selling points are the ability to get past Mega Aero and a weakened Sableye at +2, two Pokemon who more or less define their respective playstyles.

Just ran the calcs, +2 Bullet Punch has a better-than-not chance to miss the OHKO after Rocks if Togekiss is physically defensive, and Blissey Wished it back to full health, so if it had been I would have definitely missed the KO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)