Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Just had a hilarious battle with my Glalie team. Ran into a Skuntank 4 lead, which is the worst possible lead for the team due to being the only Explosion user that can OHKO Durant. My only option is to try to spam Flash with Sableye (and some Skuntank can even troll this strategy with Keen Eye), give it Entrainment, and hope I can get some decent boosts before it explodes.

This time, Sableye got 2 Flashes off before fainting. Durant avoided the -2 Accuracy Fire Blast, so I switched in Glalie as Skuntank loafed around, and then it randomly exploded on turn 1 as I used Protect. The 2nd Pokemon was Choice Scarf Manectric. Glalie was at -1 Speed and +0 Special Defense, so my only play was to switch back to Durant. Overheat KOs, I use Protect the first turn out with Glalie, and luckily the 3rd Overheat doesn't crit so it did a little less than half and I got a Sub up. From there I'm able to Protect as much as possible so it doesn't die too soon from Struggling, and I'm able to end up with an intact Sub and like 12 turns worth of Moody boosts for the 3rd Pokemon. Not totally out of the woods, but I'm feeling much better than I was the first turn of the battle.

The final Pokemon is Durant 4. I'm definitely slower than it still so I Protect turn 1. It Protects as well. On turn 2 I anticipate it breaking my Sub with Iron Head so I Substitute again... and it's loafing around! Truant Durant's helping me out whether it's on my team or the opponent's lol

The irony is that the battle would have been even less stressful if Skuntank had connected on the first Fire Blast against Durant because Glalie would have at least had a Sub up when Skuntank exploded, which would have allowed it to stall out Manectric's 5 Overheats without needing to risk a crit.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
1182.JPG

edit: at 1,200 as of 9-7-14 at 2:35pm EDT

It's not just that I've won at least 1,182 battles with this team. And it's not just that I've won 1,182 battles in a row with this team. It's that...along the way, I have won every single battle with this team.

I've used a lot of different teams in 3-on-3 play over the years. Trick teams, All Choice teams, goodstuffs teams. In every different iteration of 3-on-3 play, I eventually feel that I've arrived at "the best team", be it Startarchomp in DP, Team Drapula II in Platinum (and the identical HGSS), Team Whimespronite in BW, and of course Team Suizorus in XY. I was confident enough in all those teams to chase and make records with them.

Then, just as Rhydon4 in DP (QC EQ and Megahorn) had made me question Startarchomp, Hurrrrrrrrnadus made me question Suizorus.

1 | Tornadus | Timid | Life Orb | Hurricane | Grass Knot | Focus Blast | Dark Pulse | Spd/SpA

You've faced this before. You don't like it. I don't like it. Nobody likes it. You can't even use this set yourself, not any more than you can rely on OHKOs for a long streak. Flying/Fighting is marvelous coverage, of course, only resisted by Zapdos, Thundurus, Aegislash and Mawile (don't say Emolga until someone breaks VGC with that too lol), but obviously 70% accuracy is a giant no-no (unless you're a Veteran!). And of course, "oops you got confused" is the big decider anyway due to no immunities for Flying. I think only, like, "lead Focus Blast
bait switches to something like TB Gengar or Scarf Zapdos" or Assault Vest Own Tempo Slowbro has a decent shot of actually countering this thing (counter means switching in, not checking by virtue of "being lead Greninja".)

Hurrrnadus is a huge dumb luckbox of a genie, one that smugly decides when your "can you miss for once?" wish will be granted. It wasn't, one battle in the mid 100s after a restart with Suizorus, after OHKOing Haxorus with Hurricane (which doesn't always kill as I may have mentioned before), then not missing against Scizor in between two Bullet Punches (can't Roost stall Hurricane to scout for wish-granting misses because "oops you got confused"), which were followed by two legendary Electrics that Suicune and a 35% Scizor couldn't overcome.

You don't need a battle video for that. It was a relatively straightforward loss, one devoid of any real hax. I've always loathed Hurrrrrnadus, but kind of thought I could "play around it", or that I "wouldn't see it often as a lead". But when I took a rare look at the leaderboard (last time I checked I was 2nd) and saw StarKO almost break 1,000 with a goodstuffs team and VaporeonIce well over 1,000, that settled it for me. Team Suizorus would have to be shelved if I were to take this seriously.

-----

And seriously I did. Nothing in my mind would be worse than losing at battle 784 or 947 to Hurrrrnadus, so back to the drawing board and my pokemon boxes I went. Throughout my efforts with Suizorus, I had always wanted to give Greninja another shot, because Haxorus had convinced me that a goodstuffs team could go far in the Maison. I'd tried it before with Aegislash and Hydreigon but that failed (because Scarf Hydra is awful "imo"). Here is my unedited theorymon around a new Greninja lead team. Bolded text in brackets will contain my commentary.

greninja/aegi (real set)[so not Iron Head but Sacred Sword]/status taker lol. how about sylveon? eh clefable may be better, magic guard. or chansey sigh. why not gliscor? because boring i guess [lol, ok]

maybe greninja/garchomp/suicune works lol, no priority and doesn't really like togekiss or the speed crew

garchomp/aegi/suicune...eh. garchomp is no longer checkmate pkmn

greninja/aegi/megakanga with super bulk and rest for status could be a thing...return/rest/sucker punch/pup. does wall idiot ghosts and that's a thing ((BAN ME PLEASE) [lol])

really like this idea...kanga is ridicubulk with 212/145/120/x/167/120 stats, looking like volcarona shit (and yes, that sidetracked me into wanting to use volcarona again, sigh. i really cant use it? ok "good" it really hates heatran and flareon etc and it's not like your team loves those. chestorest would be a thing with quiver dance fiery dance and move but move would have to be like idk )

252 Timid Jolteon (90bp Electric Special)
vs. 252/252 Careful Kangaskhan : 51 - 60 24.1% - 28.3%

but you can't ME on the switch so sigh. scrafty takes 18-21.5% megacareful with AV, shed skin is the point and perhaps pup is too. pup/drain/knock off/ip is a thingggggg with shed skin. who gives a shit about fairies with aegi

yes, even with the heat wave weakness. aegi can actually take a heat wave/flamethrower (part of why I liked IH) and sd...but it can't kill with just ss

I guess toxic chansey would be a thing

The thing is...I didn't have a Chansey in my box, and wasn't about to start looking for one to breed in the early theorymon stages. So I tried out Greninja/Aegislash/Kangaskhan (just the standard 4HP/252Atk/252Spe one I had) and it was...ok. Surf/DP/IB/GK is standard, but Greninja suffers hardcore from four moveslot syndrome in Maison play when your goal is to win literally thousands of battles.

If you have dp, ib, gk and hp ground, do you need surf? Fire types get annoying I guess, especially moltres’s lame ass, rocks get hit by hp ground (bastiodon) and you resist rock, grounds get ib or gk basically. Dropping gk means swampert, whiscash, and quagsire have more fun which is kinda sucky given aegi but whatever. Moltres is way too stupid

Hp ground basically always ohkos zone cool (sturdy), does 159-189%. With that you can hp ground on it and if it doesn’t die switch kanga into flash cannon then power up punch for the free +1 boost. Then there’s mud sport which has hilariously improved in obscurity over the generation, making electric moves do 1/3 damage for five turns even if you switch. Good move much for my team? [except for where actually breeding for mud sport would be...funny]

Really don’t like electrics, like raikou kind of sucks I don’t want to switch into that. Lo gk does 57-68%, “eb” gk does 44-52%. Eb hp ground does 65-78%

K this doesn’t pass the smell test. Aegislash can’t even beat jolteon without being too weak to kill the next poke. +2 SS only does 90% min to jolteon? If I need +4 to guarantee a kill while taking three hits minimum if I want to be set up at all (or else I’d use AV or something) why wouldn’t I just use scizor? It can at least roost, and +4 BP ohkos jolteon every time

Don’t think this team can have kanga, I hate electrics and thunderwave. Greninja/Aegislash miss one type, your third should pretty much absolutely resist it. Not in love with garchomp’s proficiency with the speed crew but should I really care, aegislash or greninja switch in and ohko everything

So I put Garchomp in as the third over Kanga, still wanting desperately to use Greninja as a lead, but still theorymonning.

Greninja/scizor/dragonite?

How about cm rest latias? Isn’t thrilled with (signal beam) jolteon

Whats wrong with greninja/kanga/garchomp? Extra[sensory] on ninja for fighters, can’t you go lum sd eq dc pj on chomp and extra careful on kanga? doesn’t like fighters at all though despite extra so eh. Doesn’t like ohko leads either

Greninja/garchomp/mega gyara wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for tb slurpuff (and other things that don’t spring to mind immediately). Doesn’t really love having to deal with cofag

Scizor garchomp gyarados hey where did greninja go lol [all jokes aside this is foretelling]

I mean with hp ground all I really care about is switching out of jolteon right? Oh and bulky waters wheee

Ninja: surf/dp/ib/gk
Aegi: ss/ss/sss/s/s//s/sss/ lolzolzozlzo [of the seven words of the standard moves, six begin with "s" lol]
Chomp@[...@what? wasnt sure about AV or EB or what]: eq/dc/pj/or

Poison Jab would just have been for Kiss and friends, and I didn't think *that* passed the smell test any more than Ninja/Aegi/Kanga had. The theorymon continued in between battles.

Against kiss, ninja can just “ohko” with ib (86-101 with EB), aegi can SS then go to either other poke for cleanup, or garchomp can…kill with pj. Either by virtue of AV or having at least one SD. [envisioning real scenarios I'd face Togekiss4]

Wonder if gliscor isn’t still best lol [hint: if kangliscune has anything to say about it, it is/"was"] [this comment was made after battle like 800 or whatever]

Against (BAN ME PLEASE) I have to eq basically for no damage [if i used garchomp] and hope it burns me, gliscor doesn’t care.

Scizor suicune gliscor may be cool, doesn’t like flying but whatever. Suicune covers gliscor perfectly

Kanga/suicune/gliscor…now this may be a pokemon. [ding ding ding] Kanga only cares about status and fighters and what better pokemon than cune and scor respectively? Suikangascor, 12 chars even for XY awesome team? Lol I basically guarantee I’m missing something glaring. [not really, somehow] [I prefer Team Kangliscune but it's pretty close]

Doesn’t like lead dragons too much but really? What are they going to do, lati@s are on that CM trip and everything else just dies.

And guess who’s not faster than Kangaskhan? That’s right, fuck off Moltres (not that Suicune isn’t generally a hard counter). Volcarona is a tad scary but I’m sure Return is good enough.

Speed crew…have fun with Sucker Punch. Including you, Starmie…[bittersweet because I wanted to use it, kind of, but knew better]

Jynx4 is a reason to stay jolly because have fun with lovely kiss/dry skin/blizzard with kanga/cune/gliscor. Moltres 1 and 2 are 142 speed though. Maybe depends on volcarona’s dumb ass whee. Everything else to be fair is a point for Adamant [more foretelling!!!]

Oh my goodness is gliscor stupid amazing. This isn’t even the right stats, kind of like with L 40 suicune, it doesn’t even matter. ["isn't even the right stats" meant I was pretty sure that 252HP/252Def/4Spe wasn't right/necessary, with that very same megabold Suicune of Team Suizorus I'm referring to that I'd accidentally forgotten to level up to 50 after EV training already being "the" defensive wall for Team Kangliscune , but Gliscor was still destroying stuff]

Calc burned +2 return then +2 sucker punch on volcarona “for fun” to see whether you should PuP, Jolly or not [we all know how big a threat Volcarona4 is to basically any team so I knew to keep it in mind]

I'd started playing with this team somewhere between 0 and 200, i genuinely really can't remember if the Greninja lead experiment lost because I would just have immediately thrown my Jolly Kanga in with my Impish 252HP/252Def/4Spe Gliscor to start grinding back up. Here's the pokes (finally):

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Kangaroo Kid
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Lv. 50 (Mega)stats: 181/177/120/72/120/167(156 pre-Mega)
Nature: Jolly
~ Return
~ Power-Up Punch
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake

Standard. I insult you by even typing any more words here, even despite you having (maybe) read the eight million preceding it.

Suicune @ Leftovers ** Holy Water
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 196HP/252Def/60Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 200/78/183/110/135/113
Nature: Bold
~ Scald
~ Icy Wind
~ Calm Mind
~ Rest

Ibid.

Glisor (M) @ Toxic Orb ** I'm Batman
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 182/115/194/58/95/116
Nature: Impish
~ Earthquake
~ Toxic
~ Substitute
~ Protect

So this thing. I was never too keen on Gliscor because of how much of a jerk it was in DP with that Guillotine, possible Hyper Cutter to block Charm, and immunity to Thunderwave. But it *did* stop Peterko's streak at 2,363, otherwise he may "never" have lost (I'm serious, may have been hundreds if not thousands of battles later) so in a way maybe this is my way of paying my respects? lol, I'd obviously gotten over my general dislike of it since I had a megaimpish one ready to go, but I genuinely wasn't sure if this was the final member of a thousand-win streak team.

Despite our overwhelming familiarity with all of these pokemon (I have yet to read the "tons of Gliscor theorymon" in this thread someone posted about on like page 88 when I posted again, and I'm on page 66 myself, but evidently its utility and merits have been discussed at length), the strategy itself warrants a bit of explanation. And perhaps mainly because, as I said in my opening statements, this team is, for all intents and purposes, 1,182-0. It's still pretty simple, though. Let's see why.

Mega Kangaskhan is really good. We know that. It's been banned in competitive 1-on-1 play, and features mightily on the 2v2 landscape and our very own leaderboards. We know why it's good, too, but I'll briefly humor us anyway. We have a pokemon that is fast enough to eliminate many threats with its STAB, set up quickly and reliably, bulky enough to take a few hits, has great defensive typing, and strong, accurate coverage moves to go with its STAB and support sweeping. This is a great start, obviously. The Maison asks for more, though.

100 Base Speed is fast, but it's not blazing. Hence why Sucker Punch is a goddishsend for Kanga. Still boringly obvious, right? I hope so. The Maison, through Sturdy and Focus Sash, asks for more still. Parental Bond answers resoundingly, with the distinct, unmistakable echo that Kangaskhan's grown baby represents.

So great, Kangaskhan Explained, congratulations. Everybody already knows this. I basically just told you 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance. But think about it. Don't overcomplicate. What is missing? What, truly, is lacking from the great start Mega Kanga has gotten us?

You know what is missing. I actually mentioned it in passing in my theorymon. Kangaskhan is:

1) weak to Fighting
2) really doesn't like status that much (besides poison)

If I were reading this post I may feel a bit condescended to—I genuinely apologize if you feel you've mistakenly sat in on Remedial Pokémon. But this was precisely my thought process. "ok lead kanga is ridiculous what supports it, ok its weak to fighting and doesn't like status, what pokes handle that?"

Gliscor (with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, obviously), can answer that basically by itself, as it occurred to me sifting through my boxes in a theorymon-induced trance. Since most fighters are physical (131 speed lead Lucario with Aura Sphere dies to EQ every time), the more I played the more I wasn't sure that the megaimpish spread even had to be altered. Stay with me on Simple Street, though, as I'm checking through my boxes to see what immediately can go with my Jolly Kanga and Impish Gliscor. What status can't Gliscor switch in on? Burn, obviously. And Cofagrigus4 is a very common user of WoW. What do you have that can handle that with relative easy?

Duh.

That's it. The Suicune already cozy in my Battle Box serendipitously completely covered Gliscor, which would end up mattering a little bit down the road against stubborn Boltbeamers Kanga didn't want to risk being statused by. Done. Theorymon over. Let's play.

-----

ok go Kangliscune

adamant may be better for barbaracle and tyranitar [both survived Mega EQ with Jolly, though Tyra does regardless]

also mega impish gliscor only takes 60-71% from licky explosion, which it seems to want to use on kanga

lol wouldn't it be just neat if focus sash greninja were a sufficient answer to..."contemplate". (cue pasted email to self) [what follows is literally an email i sent to myself when I was theorymonning at work, I titled it "contemplate". as you can see, i realized that I had unsolved my hurrrrrnadus problem by removing lead Greninja for Kanga, which would be kind of silly to not address after retiring a team for basically specifically that reason]

Really hate tornadus1, it does 97-114% with LO focus blast on megakanga and I can only do 58-69% with jolly sucker punch (adamant does 62.9-74.6%)

Return does 111% min if I could outspeed. [via icy wind through a hurricane miss on cune]

Does 30.2%-35.7% to gliscor with focus blast (152-179) [supposed to be exact hp stats but this is way off, whatever], 83-98% with hurricane

65-76.5% to cune with GK, scald does 33.1-39.6% (so enough if you sucker punch with kanga turn 1) [again, 58%, so dead after LO damage]

So maybe the question is: what ledges beat min 41% suicune if I “sac” kanga by using sucker punch then take a LO GK to kill with scald? Taunt virizion that’s for sure…or is it? Can it really taunt gliscor every third turn and do enough to megaimpish with leaf blade to win…jolly? More like surely not

lati@s can I guess, lati@s 2

sacing gliscor (switching into FB, protecting, then subbing I guess in case it misses) sucks when virizion comes out…though kanga can prob take one fighting attack

in the case of the above, if I switch gliscor in then protect, toxic, then “hope”, it means it’s at 100 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 37.25 = 32.25HP, which I can deal with. Plus its bitch ass may miss ever [what follows is a turn-by-turn theorymon account of Team Kangliscune vs Tornadus1, which for posterity is Timid with LO and Hurricane/Focus Blast/Dark Pulse/Extrasensory, with attention to LO/Toxic damage it would incur/take]

switch in gliscor/fb, -10
protect/hurrrr
hurrrrr/toxic, -10, -6.25
protect/hurrrrrr, -12.5
probs subs, yo but if I get hit it’s -10 and - 18.75 for a total of 67.5% hp gone

compared to you only having a like 33% chance of even having a chance at the min 41% suicune and 100% gliscor scenario (it can still ch cune with GK for kicks or use hurrrr for mega hurrrrr “why do I play this game”-dom) [ps, it did this, stupid pokemon lol] [the AI is stupid about grass knot for better or worse, as hurrrrrnadus never used it on 50% HP Suicune. the last comment indicates it actually aimed hurricane at Suicine in practice, making a switch back to Gliscor a bad idea]

last option is switching gliscor in, then switching in cune to hurricane and basically sacrificing it. It will be at 70% though like every time because it just hits gliscor (if you’re “lucky” rofl) [this underlines just how sick this thing is, I could be screwed out of a win if it misses gliscor with Focus Blast or whatever cause I need it to hit something four times to get it into Sucker Punch range] then cune with hurricane “probably” then def with gk which kills (I think it did 48% min with lo hurrrr which sounds about right)

way to forget you don’t get that poison heal damage immediately (good thing it didn’t matter though, well played) [i played a battle and saw that Gliscor would only get one turn of PH recovery, not two, duh]. It used hurricane on suicune because it’s the worst, missed the switch into gliscor, I may lose if it hits I guess? Prob a point for adamant kanga (would have loved rolling min damage with my sucker punch). I prob need more SpD for this exact reason. Super defense is *nice* against licky and taunt virizion and infernape

This is the battle referenced above, #272: BPKW-WWWW-WWW9-K77K. This battle had me change my Gliscor to Careful to give myself the best chance of beating Hurrrnadus.

236/4/196/0/68/4 Gliscor may be the most efficient (Impish) spread. Ape CC does 16.1-18.8% to this, 14.8-18.1% to megaimpish. 19.7-23.6% to 252HP/252SpD/4Spe 236HP/16Def Careful is other spread

Viriz Leaf Blade: 20.3-24.7% (36-42 HP)/22.2%-26.6% (40-48 HP)/28.3-33.3% (51-60 HP)

Licky Boom: 59.8-71.4% (109-130 HP)/63.3-75% (114-135 HP)/80-95% (144-171 HP)

Hurrrrrr: does 21.1-24.4% (38-44 HP) with LO FB (so 24.4%) to the Careful one (180HP/147Def/139SpD) . You’ll be at 158 HP min, then 9/16 times hurricane hits and doesn’t ch or confuse you’ll be able to sub (45HP Sub, lo hurr does 57.2-67.7%, 103-122 HP). A lot of ifs but you’re at 160 min with a megacareful gliscor, boosting your chances to 11/16 (so you can basically take the two instances that do 114 damage). Not sure that’s worth it, but all of this is indeed a thing.

Another thing is the efficient impish spread. This takes 49-58 HP damage from FB, so you’ll be at 122, then 144HP after PH. (man pH balance is a great nick). Only 4/16 times (when it hits but doesnt ch or confuse) will you be able to toxic it then start protect hoping

Salamence3 does 40-47% with dragon rush to pH Balance, 32.2-38.3% to the impish balance one. Outrage does 48.3-57.2% [example of a physical move I'd have to be more wary of, more follow]

236/4/196/0/68/4 Gliscor may be the most efficient (Impish) spread. Ape CC does 16.1-18.8% to this, 14.8-18.1% to megaimpish. 19.7-23.6% to 252HP/252SpD/4Spe 236HP/16Def Careful is other spread

Viriz Leaf Blade: 20.3-24.7% (36-42 HP)/22.2%-26.6% (40-48 HP)/28.3-33.3% (51-60 HP)

Licky Boom: 59.8-71.4% (109-130 HP)/63.3-75% (114-135 HP)/80-95% (144-171 HP)

I also realized that with a Careful Gliscor, I should probably use an Adamant Kanga that could ensure the KO on a 60% Tornadus (four LO hits), but that required theorymon too.

Jolly, or Adamantly? ["to be or not to be", awful huh]

Char 4 gets sucker punched anyway (AV). Same with Flygon 4 and Typhlosion. Foe kanga can’t sub forever, probable punching bag. Hydreigon4 sucks but can’t really beat gliscor, Zapdos 1, 3 and 4 are all timid (so points for adamant). Pyroar dies to +2 Sucker Punch no matter what. Krook takes 51.1-60.5% from +2 SP, but you’ll be intimidated sometimes. You take 43.8-52.2% from its eq (79-94HP). Point for jolly I guess, but gliscor destroys it

Remember when you got burned for coinflipping with ninetales when sucker punch ohkos (102% min, adamant)

Salamence: Adamant +2 SP does 103% min unintimidated, and you never win speed ties anyway so

Lead Arcanine already warrants a switch with intim and a faster priority move. Non-lead takes like 105% from +2 Adamant SP, 78-93% at +1. Again, meet gliscor.

Electivire can’t do a damn thing to you that it can’t if you’re Jolly (4-attack, SP does like 113% min or whatever, is faster than you pre-Mega to threaten TP par regardless of nature)

Houndoom: Adamant +2 SP does 82.6-98% to houndoom lol so close (not really). Point for jolly though, your team doesn’t like white herb sunny day houndoom one bit. What happens when gliscor isn’t subbed and you have to switch to either cune or kanga? It does 69.2-81.3% to 252/0 gliscor (you’re prob tweaking this but still) and can kinda be a dick in general. And you have to care if you’re at like 80HP because +2 SP doesn’t kill and it prob wont sunny day (and if it did and you used SP, good luck lol). Point for jolly. [though it only does 47-56% with OH to ph balance, meaning point for adamant? lol]

So I rebred both Gliscor and Kangaskhan, and this is the final result:

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Melbourne
EVs: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Lv. 50 (Mega)stats: 180/194/120/72/120/152(142 pre-Mega)
Nature: Adamant
~ Return
~ Power-Up Punch
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake

Suicune @ Leftovers ** Holy Water
EVs: 196HP/252Def/60Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 200/78/183/110/135/113
Nature: Bold
~ Scald
~ Icy Wind
~ Calm Mind
~ Rest

Glisor (F) @ Toxic Orb ** pH Balance
EVs: 236HP/4Atk/12Def/252Def/4Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 180/116/147/58/139/116
Nature: Careful
~ Earthquake
~ Toxic
~ Substitute
~ Protect

-----

Vids:

Here's a fun battle against some fun hax, #1051: P4BW-WWWW-WWW9-JEN4
Here is one aganist some REALLY fun stuff, #1,140: 3QRW-WWWW-WWW9-JEMU
And here is a fitting battle, #1,174, considering the last pokemon I faint: XZHG-WWWW-WWW9-JEZW

-----

To me, the most satisfying part is that this was done with a goodstuffs team. Sure, Kangaskhan is broken as hell. But truth be told—I've made my mark with "gimmicks" that were arguably more the product of tireless, clever theorymon than my prowess as a battler. This tested my playing ability, and I'm relieved to find I passed.

Kanga stunned me with how boring it made so many battles. Suicune was as steady and reliable as ever. And Gliscor completely surprised me. I never turned up my nose once in the early stages of my streak, but this team didn't exactly pass the smell test. At 1,182-0, I think it's fair to say the Maison may have its finest cologne.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Updated through here. Big streaks raining down all over, which is always fun to see. Vinzaum, that picture is fine for proving you have all the trophies, so you are set.

As always folks, please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions. And best of luck on the streaks!

Also, Eye of the Tiger? Pshaaw. It's Eye of the Larvitar here!!

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nice, but it's not 1253+. Item arrived three weeks late and did not match specified measurements - one out of five stars, would not recommend.

MegaKhan/Gliscor makes sense from using Cloyster/Gliscor, they're "the same shit" with Cloyster hating status and Fighting (Conkeldurr4) and Electric-types, except with MegaKhan being MegaKhan and destroying Starmie and Froslass and having some different weaknesses. Cloyster has some advantages, though, like Sash making it great against OHKO spammers and not making contact, but MegaKhan is MegaKhan and can actually switch in on things instead of only being able to come in as death fodder or after a KO happens.

I still want to do a second Cloyster/Gliscor/Greninja run in ORAS. The big improvement is just keeping Greninja and giving it Specs and the Dragonite/Aegislash/Greninja V2 EV spread, and using a wounded/useless Cloyster as death fodder to reset Specs when Gliscor won't enjoy switching into a Fire attack (which gives additional value to Cloyster, as it makes switching it out against priority users useful even if it's at 1HP and won't be contributing a sweep anymore). While Greninja had problems, Specs and speed cutting (which is viable even on that team, as I figured out with Alakazam/Hawlucha/Zebstrika in the 185-189 Speed range being Gliscor fodder) helps a lot as I saw with that streak, and the only other option is Suicune, which is still worse than Greninja in my opinion - and definitely worse when paired with Cloyster/Gliscor, who need a fast sweeper instead of something defensive like Suicune to help it out (like ScarfChomp on Peterko's Subway Cloyster team).

Last edited:

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bravo, Jumpman16! Was this the "final form" team you were referring to you in your Suizorus post, or was that some other team that didn't stand up to further theorymon?
It actually is not, lol. That's one thing that I forgot to post ("you *forgot* something in that wall of words?????"). It's kind of an important point actually so I'm glad you prompted me.

I think I was going to make mention of it where I said that "most satisfying part is that this was done with a goodstuffs team" bit. Sure, I could have used my super secret real best team to have done all my battles but the ones I put on youtube and the ones I recorded. But the funny thing about my posting style and preference is that anyone who's read my posts would agree that I would much rather have ranted and raved on in glorious supervillain fashion to all you protagonists about my mad scientist brainchild and how brilliant my concoction is etc etc. (Humorously enough, protagonists who could thwart my plans for "world domination" and just use my team in the same sense as one where I were actually talking about world domination.)

And it's true to some extent, sure—I value the team creation process probably more than actually battling itself. But me doing this with a goodstuffs team, in my opinion, is "proof" that I actually used a goodstuffs team to do this, because why wouldn't I just post the team/use I was talking about? Yes, there's some value in "proving myself" as a respectable goodstuffs player, and I may actually hesitate to give you all the "formula" for this team, but...I'd rather post my idea lol, because no one has talked about it in this thread and it really is good I promise!

Two more things: I see that we have decided to combine Durant streaks with all other streaks. I didn't agree even back when I was at 0, but also didn't want to pipe up as a non-Durant user to say "don't combine them! no..." because it would seem a bit self-serving. Now, I have room to talk, if I were ever going to, because the record I have surpasses the best Durant record. To take this one step further—yes, I'd have the *most* room to talk if I had made my streak with a Durant team myself and were still "noble" enough to say "don't combine them", but I've never used Durant so I can't speak from that perspective with a #1 streak that's a Durant streak.

To take it one last step further, though...I want you all to consider something. What if VaporeonIce hadn't faced Volcarona4 at battle 1,175? (Wow, it just occurred to me that it busted the previous #1 and #2 streaks, what a bitch...) What if he got to 1,300, 1,400? 1,700? Would you all still feel the same way about it not being as good as it was last gen? And, if I may...what if I used Durant? And got to 1,200? 1,500? 1,700? How would you all feel then?

The answer *should be* that you'd feel the same way about it, right? I don't think that would be the case in practice, though. If someone were to break out a huge streak with Trick or Entrainment, I think your collective tune would change (those of you who were "pro combine" that is). Obviously, I don't super care now (I may if I'd lost with my goodstuffs team, lol), but I'd be a hypocrite to not say something regardless.

While I'm commenting on old losses (sorry about that), I noticed Jumpman16's 602-win Team Suizorus streak's loss against Delphox4 was also winnable. Icy Wind was not an option because of White Herb, but switching in Scizor and getting it killed with Overheat first would've taken the Herb out of the equation, allowing Icy Wind to be used so Hax can outspeed and KO.
Yeah this would have worked, just goes to show how much the mindset changes when you frankly just stop giving a shit about playing every battle perfectly. It's a great thought experiment (and I appreciate the apology but you don't have to apologize!). I was driving and didn't want to run calcs on Scald and Bullet Punch and the foe's Psychic and I thought maybe possibly I could take two Psychics at 131HP after Leftovers and that if not Scald + BP would kill and if not THAT then surely Haxorus still has the HP to take a Psychic??? Such bad form rofl...and bad form that 100% does not exist when you're chasing. Oh well...

Last edited:

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I just finished a new Super Rotations at 422 wins. Overall I'm pretty happy with this streak because it was my first attempt with my team and I wasn't expecting to get this far, but at the same time I'm super frustrated at the way it ended...

Team

My new team basically follows the same "Sweeper/Cleric/Destiny Bond/Sweeper" archetype as my last team.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
ivs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
evs: 4/252/0/0/0/252
stats: 167/204/115/97/120/132
Multiscale

Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Dragon Dance

Not an interesting choice but I like it much better than Mega Kangaskhan. The main draw here is Multiscale which has great synergy with Wish. At the start of the battle you have to figure out if you should pass a Wish to it first or just set up straight away. Sometimes its better to do the latter if you can't afford to give the opponent a free turn.

I also like how it boosts its Speed along with its Attack, whereas Kangaskhan is slower and relies on Sucker Punch. Lum Berry also helps me deal with opposing Confusion-inflicting moves a bit better as we all know how annoying those are in Rotations!

Fire Punch is the most expendable move here and it would be nice to have Protect sometimes. However, Fire Punch is important for Curse Ferrothorn and the Bug/Steel crew, and it usually isn't too hard to work around not having Protect. I probably wouldn't change it for this team.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold
ivs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
evs: 244/0/252/0/0/12
stats: 201/68/128/130/150/82
Pixilate

Hyper Voice
Heal Bell
Wish
Protect

Exactly the same as on my last team. Sylveon works well with Dragonite too because of its Dragon immunity.

Sylveon is perhaps my most important team member. It can stall many teams indefinitely with Wish and that's really important in situations where none of my other Pokemon can do anything risk-free. A common strategy I used was to rotate to Sylveon and use Wish, and then follow up with Hyper Voice (or Protect if Sylveon is low on HP and/or not able to Attack safely). This allows it to slowly take chucks out of the opponent's Pokemon and gives my other Pokemon an opening to sweep.

You do have to be careful when doing this though because each time you use Wish (or Heal Bell), you are giving the opponent a free turn. This isn't important if it's just using an attack move that Sylveon can recover from easily but it can be risky if you're up against a set-up Pokemon (particularly Curse).

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Adamant
evs: 4/252/0/0/0/252
stats: 146/189/60/103/60/147
Speed Boost

Waterfall
Crunch
Protect
Destiny Bond

My new Destiny Bond user...sort of. I have actually used this before as a replacement to Gengar on my old team, although I didn't actually beat the original team. The main thing that attracted me to Sharpedo at the time was its ability to beat Fire-types as my old team I was having huge problems with them. Of course, using Dragonite makes Fire-types a bit less threatening than before, but Sharpedo is still my preferred choice just as an extra layer of protection against Volcarona 4.

Speed Boost is just incredible. It is so reassuring that I can pretty much always get an attack off when I'm low on health, whether it be Destiny Bond (I can't stress just how useful Destiny Bond is in Rotations. It's so handy in emergencies should you get messed up by set-up sweepers like Double Team Zapdos and Swords Dance Garchomp.) or just an attacking move to finish something off.

Waterfall is my preferred offensive option against the average team because of the flinch chance. It isn't something you can rely on but I've been able to get out of some sticky situations because of it. Of course, this all depends on the match-up and you don't really want to use it against a Water-heavy team or something.

Sharpedo's main issue, aside from its miserable bulk, is coverage. Waterfall and Crunch are decently powerful STABs with useful side effects but they leave Sharpedo walled by several Pokemon, including Dry Skin Toxicroak, Hydreigon, non-Protean Greninja, Shiftry, Breloom, Virizion, and Poliwrath. I guess running more coverage could be an option but I don't think it's worth it. There isn't really one move in Sharpedo's movepool that can cover all of these, and I'm not interested in getting rid of one of my other moves. Protect is really important for ensuring a Speed Boost against faster opponents, and it also allows me to restore Focus Sash with Wish safely (this occurs more often than you might think). And Destiny Bond is the main reason to use Speed Boost Sharpedo.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
evs: 252/228/20/0/4/4
stats: 177/218/163/66/121/96
Technician

Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Swords Dance
Roost

Scizor replaces Aegislash. I think the main reason I prefer Scizor is that, in my experience, it can often get away with attacking unboosted more easily than Aegislash can. This is mainly because Scizor doesn't have to worry about its defences being lowered everytime it attacks so if it can't OHKO, it has an easier time surviving for another turn. The main downside is that I don't really have many safe answers to powerful Rock Attacks anymore, but other than that I think the change was worth it.

The 20 EVs in Defence serve one important purpose: they allow Mega Scizor to always survive a non-crit Head Smash from Tyrantrum 4. Obviously I'd rather not be in this situation in the first place but I figured it might be worth the minor drop in Attack to gain an extra layer of security against Tyrantrum (and by sheer coincidence this actually came into play early in the 100s against a Hiker). That resulted in 4 wasted EVs in Attack so I just moved those to Sp. Def.

Threats

In Rotations, lots of things can potentially be threatening if it has unfavourable partners. However, there are some Pokemon that frequently caused issues.

Volcarona: We all know how dangerous this can be, especially in Rotations. I basically had to try and keep on top of its boosts with boosts of my own. Thankfully Dragonite actually handles unboosted Volcarona relatively well since it resists its STABs, has Lum Berry and Multiscale to protect it from Hurricane, and is naturally faster (so it will outspeed it if they are equal in boosts). Sharpedo is a good choice too since Speed Boost helps keep it ahead of Quiver Dance and Waterfall is a clean 2HKO. I have to be wary of Flame Body though, not that there's much I can do to stop it activating. Sylveon and Scizor are no-gos against Volcarona, and if it gets carried away with boosts then you can probably kiss your streak goodbye.

Tyrantrum: This can pretty much rotate in and kill something whenever it wants. I do have options against it though. Dragonite is faster and will OHKO with an unboosted Outrage. I don't like using Outrage without boosting first but it's still an option in this case. Sharpedo can beat it in theory with Focus Sash and recoil damage (not if it's Rock Head though). Scizors EVs also allow it to survive a non-crit and it can 2HKO with unboosted Bullet Punch. My general stretegy was to rotate to Sharpedo and use Waterfall to try to flinch it. If that doesn't work out, I can Destiny Bond to kill something (preferably Tyrantrum, but if not at least Scizor gets in healthy) and go from there. Unfortunately Sylveon has to stay away despite OHKOing with Hyper Voice because it's slower than Tyrantrum.

Garchomp: Really dangerous. 1 boost is all it needs to start destroying me, and Focus Sash stops me OHKOing it, so trying to Dragon Dance against it at full health is even riskier than it normally would be. It's even worse if it has Rough Skin since it can break Multiscale and Focus Sash. Generally is was able to beat it because I got lucky with Rotations (e.g. rotating Sylveon in as it Dragon Claws), but I imagine it could end a streak if I was less lucky. Destiny Bond is handy to have just for this.

Toxicroak: Annoying. It shuts down Sylveon with Taunt or just kills it with Gunk Shot, and if it's Dry Skin then Sharpedo sucks against it. Dragonite can OHKO with unboosted Earthquake - setting up can be a hassle because it can Taunt Dragonite. Gunk Shot can also eat up Lum Berry if it Poisons, making it harder to Outrage, but this can be worked around. Scizor can handle it ok too.

Crobat: Also annoying. It isn't as powerful as Toxicroak but it also has Hypnosis and it outspeed Dragonite even after 1 boost. Scizor can handle it ok though, and even Sharpedo has a good chance of beating it if it misses Hypnosis.

Taunt: In addition to the above, generally faster Taunts were annoying. It isn't too bad on its own but if Sylveon gets Taunted then it can't keep my sweepers healthy which could be bad depending on what else I'm facing.

Encore: Not as bad as Taunt, but it can still shut down Sylveon. Being locked into Wish isn't too bad though since it can still do some supporting. Being locked into Heal Bell would be worse though, perhaps even worse than Taunt.

Armaldo: Basically a less dangerous version of Tyrantrum. It's slower and weaker but I never feel comfortable having my team constantly taking a barrage of Stone Edges. Sylveon can PP stall it with Wish + Protect but that risks a crit and I don't like losing Sylveon early. Sometimes it'll use Superpower instead (presumably to try catch Sharpedo rotating in), in which case it becomes set-up bait.

Curse (and other set-up sweepers I haven't mentioned): Basically I rely a lot on Wish-stalling with Sylveon, and that gives the opponent free turns to set up. I mention Curse specifically since that was the one that troubled me the most, but even Calm Mind and other moves can be problematic. Special mention goes to Curse Regirock which nearly cost me my streak at around 260 after it managed to take advantage of all the turns I used Wish to boost. It also has Sandstorm to block Leftovers and break Focus Sash. I guess Registeel would be a pain too but I never faced it (or if I did it died before it could get started).

How I lost

Walrein.

2RNW-WWWW-WWW9-KFFQ

I was up against Milotic, Pinsir and Walrein, so I was facing 2 of the worst OHKO users (although Pinsir often prefers to use a different move). I decided to try setting up with Dragonite 1st turn which was a tad risky but I thought trying to stall with Sylveon against OHKO spammers was even riskier and I really wanted to boost enough to ensure a sweep. Walrein OHKOed with Sheer Cold. A few turns later Scizor fell to Fissure as I tried to set up, and then lost Sylveon to Sheer Cold in a last ditch effort to stall-attack her team, which I was hesitant to do for obvious reasons but I had no choice at that point. Once Sylveon died there was pretty much no way I was going to win (Sharpedo generally works best if you are ahead and Focus Sash had been broken) and Walrein took Sharpedo out soon enough.

In hindsight, I could have just attacked without setting up, but I was a bit concerned about her Pokemon just Resting of the damage and hitting with a OHKO later on. I thought that being about to OHKO her Pokemon was easily as possible was a safer approach. If she had just acted differently on that first turn it might have been fine.

Just for kicks I decided to mock battle her against using the same strategy. Pinsir used Superpower and I boosted. Walrein rotated in as I Outraged, survived, and missed Sheer Cold. I then proceed to sweep her team with Outrage. Would have been nice if that happened in the actual battle!

Last edited:
Well, I'm back. Not exactly here to sett a 5,000+ streak, but something simple. Attempting to get to 100/200 streak for those DAMN Berries.
OFC I picked Singles, it's the shortest one with 3 on each side, and no Rotation shenanigans :p
So here it is:

3GUD5OU (Kangashkahn) @ Kangashkanite
Jolly
252Attack/252Speed
Scrappy > Parental Bond
Return
Power-Up-Punch
Sucker Punch
Earthquake
"Obligitory Mega Kanga"
You all know what this thing is. But just in case:
My main set up sweeper, can annotate just about anything, Scrappy to take care of Statusing Ghosts. Sucker Punch for Priority. Power-Up-Punch for a SD. Return for breaking walls smashing everything. And EQ for coverage.

Monado (Aegislash) w/ Weakness Policy
Quiet
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0 (Yeah I bred this. LIKE A BOSS)
252HP/6Attack/252SpecAtt
Stance Change
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Iron Head
Kings Shield
I'll admit. Stance Dance + WP Aegi wasn't the BEST idea. So I decided to use this set from back when I played Showdown (Had to dig up my old RMT)
Gotta say, this thing hits like a TRUCK. I only put WP there because Lefties aren't really useful (from my experince at least) unless you're stalling (only on 3v3, on 6v6 it's way more useful)
Shadow Ball, well it just annihates anything not Normal or Dark type (TY based Steel Nerf... Which ironically is a double edged sword). The rest is just there for Normal and Darks. And KS is mandatory, because it's handy for scouting/screwing with the A.I.
0 IVs in speed to outslow nearly everything (Because Aegislash)
Overall, it's saved me a few times ^^

Joker (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Impish
Errr... I kinda forgot. Its something like 230ish HP/24Defencd/252Speed... Whoops.
Poison Heal
Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Earthquake
To be honest, I only brought Gli since I thought he could stall out big threats. He CAN. It's always fun ToxicStalling ^^
Nit really much to say, since the set is self explanatory. Set up Toxic, Protect, Sub, Protect, EQ to finish them off..
Honourable Mention! (Since this may of saved my ass)

Double A-J (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold
252HP/252Def
Pressure
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave (Gen 5 Move Tutors FTW)
Hidden Power (Ice)
Roost
A friend gave me this Zappy Zap Zapdos. Gotta say, it's pretty damn good. Wish I would of used it over Joker tho :/

So, how far did I get? I got to Nita... Then promptly got owned.
Turn one. She leads with Landorus. Fuck.
I SHOULD of switched into Aegi IMMEDIATELY... But I didn't
OHKOs Kanga with Focus Blast
Switch into Aegi
She switches out (Because Scarf) into Thundurus while I Shadow Ball, getting a Spec Def dron and knocking it into 1HKO range even after the Sitrus Berry
I KS predicting the Crunch, Attack Drop. (I think it was Prankster, so it did lose the attack.)
Another Crunch, WP Activates and I essentily nuke Thundy.
She sends in Landorus, I KS while she locks herself into Earth Power
Now I SHOULD of switched out into Gliscor. But I figured "I could survive and Earth Power"
Nope. It had Sheer Force. Took out Aegi
NOW I send in Gliscor, I predict the switch and Sub
I protected just in case... But she Double Teams
So I attempt to Toxic it... I miss
She broke my sub with Hurricane
I attempt to Toxic it again, I hit.
However, she hits Hurricane again and Confuses me.
So I Protect, hoping that I don't get screwed over
She uses Hurricane while I protect.
Then I attempt to Sub... But I hurt myself, allowing her to finish me off...
And she did.

bad plays on my part, I should of looked up her sets while doing the battle, then I might of won
Ah well, I'll try again. FOR THE GLORY
Edit: Sorry WeaKness ^^

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Monado (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Quiet
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0 (Yeah I bred this. LIKE A BOSS)
252HP/6Attack/252SpecAtt
Stance Change
Shadow Ball
Sacred Sword
Iron Head
Kings Shield
I'm not sure WP Aegi is that well suited to the Maison. I'm not totally sure why you're running 1 special move and 2 physical with quiet + 252 SpAtk, why not use Flash Cannon over Iron Head? Aegislash also loves Shadow Sneak here as if you just miss a KO with Shadow Ball / whatever then you can pick them off with Shadow Sneak instead of going back to Shield forme and tanking a hit before getting the kill, especially since you don't have leftovers Aegi needs all the health it can get. I'm also fairly certain that 31/31/31/31/31/0 is Hidden Power Ice so you could maybe fit that in but would see situational use. I still think that going physical with Swords Dance / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword with lefties is the best for Maison play (you'll be able to wreck with him on Battle Spot though).

In regards to the Chatelaine match, yeah it sucks you didn't switch immediately. Once you got him in you played correctly, except you definitely should have switched in Gliscor straight away instead of trying to tank the Earth Power, this would have gotten you a free Sub up against Tornadus. But still, getting hit and confused by Hurricane sucks a lot! With the recent talk on Gliscor from guys like Jumpman etc, it seems going Careful with SpDef investment is better than fully physically defensive just for those annoying Tornadus. But yeah who knows what would have happened if you hadn't lost Kanga and Aegi so early. Next time just make sure you don't try tanking moves! lol. Have you tried a mock battle against her to see if it's actually winnable?

I'm not sure WP Aegi is that well suited to the Maison. I'm not totally sure why you're running 1 special move and 2 physical with quiet + 252 SpAtk, why not use Flash Cannon over Iron Head? Aegislash also loves Shadow Sneak here as if you just miss a KO with Shadow Ball / whatever then you can pick them off with Shadow Sneak instead of going back to Shield forme and tanking a hit before getting the kill, especially since you don't have leftovers Aegi needs all the health it can get. I'm also fairly certain that 31/31/31/31/31/0 is Hidden Power Ice so you could maybe fit that in but would see situational use. I still think that going physical with Swords Dance / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword with lefties is the best for Maison play (you'll be able to wreck with him on Battle Spot though).
Seems like a good idea. I'll test it out and see what happens. I do still have a physical Aegi somewhere. (and BTW, it is HP Ice with that spread. Just checked in Anistar. Doesn't really seem useful)
In regards to the Chatelaine match, yeah it sucks you didn't switch immediately. Once you got him in you played correctly, except you definitely should have switched in Gliscor straight away instead of trying to tank the Earth Power, this would have gotten you a free Sub up against Tornadus. But still, getting hit and confused by Hurricane sucks a lot! With the recent talk on Gliscor from guys like Jumpman etc, it seems going Careful with SpDef investment is better than fully physically defensive just for those annoying Tornadus. But yeah who knows what would have happened if you hadn't lost Kanga and Aegi so early. Next time just make sure you don't try tanking moves! lol. Have you tried a mock battle against her to see if it's actually winnable?
I was actually originally gonna do a specially defensive set. I might rebreed it with a Careful nature and keep the other around because different sets. And I mostly lost due to bad prediction/being rusty. If I knew her Lando set ahead of time, I could of won easily. I'll mock the battle since I saved the replay of the first time I beat her. Thanks for the advice ^^

This was my last non-busy weekend in a while so I did a lot of battles; anything after will be at a much slower pace. Here's the last one, Battle 502 against Ace Trainer Jai: 9JVG-WWWW-WWW9-L7E5

I'm using the same Sableye/Durant/Glalie team as before. Jai is one of the rare trainers with more than one Exeggutor set, so there was only a 1-in-3 chance it would be the Trick Room/Explosion one, but I wasn't willing to take that chance and switched in Durant for the X Scissor KO. If Jai had followed that up with Reuniclus 2, I'd have been scrambling a bit but he sends out Latios (set 1-4). Have to switch back to Sableye because set 3 cleanly OHKOes with Thunder and set 2 would prevent Entrainment if Thunderbolt paralyzed Durant. It's set 3, with Specs Thunder which hits but doesn't paralyze. A paralysis/fp on the next turn would have been "bad" there in the sense that I couldn't have Tricked away the Specs and Glalie would've had to use Protect a few more times while setting up so Latios wouldn't Struggle to death.

I was feeling pretty good once Latios was safely Entrained, especially because Latios coming in 2nd meant an Infiltrator Chandelure wouldn't be making an appearance in the battle. The only threatening option left among Jai's Pokemon would have been Magnezone, and sure enough that's what it was. Thankfully it was either Magnezone 2 or 3, which can't have an Assault Vest and gets cleanly 2HKOed at +5 or +6.

Last edited:
I have some fun videos for everyone to watch. One is from March. It's the worst hax I have ever seen anywhere. Basically a Slowbro kills my entire team with weak Water Pulses that confuse me because his Quick Claw activates I think 6 times throughout the battle! I hit myself every single time, and barely manage to kill the Slowbro. It survives a +2 Thunderpunch from my Metagross by what I am guessing was a damage range. My last Pokemon kills Slowbro, but is unable to beat the last thing they have. If I had not been Quick Claw confused, my first Pokemon which is a Gengar would have clean swept this trainer.

The team I was using was not very good anyway, but it is still just incredible hax.

Video: TKHW-WWWW-WWW5-RKWU

Battle 17

This next one is recent, and I think these guys have the potential to go far. I should have been more patient with my Raichu. I could have made this enemy Glaceon Struggle itself to death, but instead its Bright Powder destroyed me. I do end up beating it, and I could have possibly won if not for a crit at the end. My Salamence is a very strange one that uses Iron Defense, and it looked like I would be able to stall this Tyranitar out of Rock Slide PP. I did, but then he used Dragon Tail and got a critical hit. I could have stalled Dragon Tail out of PP as well. After watching this replay again, I think I made a bunch of stupid mistakes in this battle. Perhaps I'll try these three out again?

ZH6W-WWWW-WWW9-LF2R

battle 52

Heyo! Just wanted to give a quick update on "Operation get them damn berries"
Im currently at a streak of 51
Yup I beat Nita. Easily.
She leads with Thundurus. Hurray.
Turn one: Mega evolve and Power Up Punch while Thundurus Wild Charges and does decent damage.
Turn two: Sucker punch. Ded.
Turn 3: Nita sends out Satan Landorus. SUCKER PUNCH.
Turn 4: Nita sends out Tornadus. Return. GG no re 3-0 sweep. And another 50bp I'll never use.

My team has changed a bit from the one I posted before Its here if you actually care
So updates:
Mega Kanga: NOTHING. XD
Aegislash: Changed Weakness Policy for Leftovers. Decided against using my physical one (for now)
Gliscor: several hours of breeding later...

Jumpman (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 236HP/4Atk/12Def/252Def/4Spe
Careful
Earthquake
Toxic
Substitute
Protect
Yes I stole nicked borrowed Jumpmans Gliscor set. It's served me well to say the least ^^
(Seriously, fucker could stall for England)
And at the very least I got a cool backstory for the nickname ^^
Now: BACK TO GRINDING

After much battling, suffering, re-breeding, and angst, the Maison is mine!

Multi battles were the big hold-up; finally had to bug Haunter to use his lovely AI (Much thanks for that, by the way!). The set I used with it was a standard Kanga-Chomp; credit for most of the set and the write-up on it goes to The Dutch Plumberjack. No Protect on Kanga, which was missed a couple of times, but Return was quite useful in more situations. Battles 30-50 were an emotional roller coaster, in roughly half of them either the AI or myself were completely wiped out, and the partner was down to 1 barely alive Pokemon.

At this point, 'd like to concentrate on getting to 200 in Triples with the Slacking/Gardevoir team. Who knows? It might even happen!

Farewell, Multi battles. May we never meet again.

Single: Aron+Kanga+Talonflame
Double: Aron+Kanga+Chomp+Aegislash
Triple: Greninja+Slacking+Gardevoir+Garchomp+Aegislash+Talonflame
Rotation: Darn me if I remember.

Multi battles:
My lead:

Dainty Fists (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/31
252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Crunch
- Power-Up Punch

My backup:

Flounder (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Protect

AI lead:

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Mild
IVs: ?
EVs: 170 Atk / 170 SpA / 170 Spe
-Heat Wave
-Air Slash
-Rock Slide
-Crunch

AI backup:

Raikou @ Air Balloon
Nature: Timid
IVs: ?
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Volt Switch
-Protect

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I just lost to some unfortunate hax against me, although I took a risk which resulted in it... I was down to just Hydreigon and Sharpedo when the AI sends out Mold Breaker Excadrill, Hydreigon was locked into Dark Pulse so I switched in Sharpedo with it's Sash intact because it could survive any of it's attacks and KO with Waterfall, then Destiny Bond the 3rd pokemon, except Excadrill hits me with Poison Jab on the switch which brings Sharpedo down to it's sash and poisons so I lose Sharpedo... Down to just Hydreigon I can't decide between Earth Power and Flamethrower, Earthpower would have been the correct option as the last 'mon was Bastiodon but I decide on Flamethrower. Excadrill survives it and poisons me again. After I manage to kill it I get stalled out and die to poison as Bastiodon spams Wide Guard/Curse. I also could have just gone for the Dark Pulse on Excadrill and let it kill Hydreigon so Sharpedo could have come in with full health to revenge it and also take out the Bastiodon, I guess I was just stuck in the 'get a kill and spam Destiny Bond' plan... It also didn't help that I lost Aegislash to a crit before all that. I know hax happens and it's not fair to blame the AI for it but damn there was no way for the computer to win without it!

Anyway I kinda like the team I'm using so I want to stick with it as it seems to be me missplaying that has resulted in all my losses with it rather than having a problem with the team itself. The only thing I don't like is that Scarf Hydreigon is not as good as I thought (Jumpman also said it sucked). It just doesn't have enough power, but doesn't have enough speed without the Scarf. Any suggestions? His and Aegi's defensive synergy is fun to abuse here

Anyway I kinda like the team I'm using so I want to stick with it as it seems to be me missplaying that has resulted in all my losses with it rather than having a problem with the team itself. The only thing I don't like is that Scarf Hydreigon is not as good as I thought (Jumpman also said it sucked). It just doesn't have enough power, but doesn't have enough speed without the Scarf. Any suggestions? His and Aegi's defensive synergy is fun to abuse here
go Life Orb? (Unless your Aegi is LO then just ignore me)
I can't really suggest much apart from that and "dump it and replace with Tyranitar" but that'd fuck with your synergy :/
LO OR BUST ^^

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
go Life Orb? (Unless your Aegi is LO then just ignore me)
I can't really suggest much apart from that and "dump it and replace with Tyranitar" but that'd fuck with your synergy :/
LO OR BUST ^^
Yeah I was thinking of running LO but mine is Modest so he would be getting outsped by a lot... I mean Scarf does what I want it to do but it sucks when you lock yourself into something stupid and you're then forced to switch, which isn't normally a problem unless I've lost Aegi (like I had in my most recent loss) or Sharpedo's sash has been broken already (or that damn poison! Why was that Excadrill's preferred move against Hydreigon?? He had Mold Breaker Earthquake...). I suppose I'll just try again, but this is like the 3rd time I've lost in the 90s lol

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In singles, I fear that Hydreigon is something of a trap. It looks like it should be good, but as you noted, it needs a bit more power and Speed, and your item can only boost one of those. Honestly, the Pokemon it most reminds me of is Heatran, which I tried to make work in Subway and Tower singles, and failed miserably both times. Despite Heatran's great Special Attack, without a boosting move or item it lacks the power to get enough OHKOs, and without a Choice Scarf, it's outsped by way too much. I lack an ErupTran, and maybe scarfed Eruption gives it sufficient power for singles success (though I doubt it, thanks to the Quiet nature), but the closest Hydreigon comes to an Eruption-like move is Draco Meteor, and its 90% accuracy makes it something of a non-starter for long Maison streaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)