The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
After that Broncos @ Patriots last year, every single game in which we are winning by multiple touchdowns at the half feels like misery. I actually prefer when we're winning by less than a score, or even losing at the half. Then Foxball doesn't happen.

The Ravens Look like absolute scumbags right now in light of this new video,

They Should issue a formal apology for their public support of Rice.

And Rice Should never play a down in the NFL again

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm a thousand times angrier at the NFL front office for lying about never having seen the video than I am about what the video showed about Ray Rice. Every reporter from numerous sources said the NFL saw this video, then lied about seeing it, then issued a 2-game suspension knowing he clocked her in the jaw?

Forget banning Rice (i mean he should still get at least another 6 games if not the season), Goodell shouldn't set foot into an NFL building again.

Also fuck the Ravens for their cowardly support of Rice. Though the Ravens didn't see the video as far as we know, Rice apparently told them everything. No excuse.

EDIT: Fuck the Ravens less for getting rid of Rice. I still think the NFL saw the video though.

A SECOND EDIT: Peter King saying he might have sucked at reporting when he said the NFL saw the tape. Not sure either way if they actually saw it lol

Last edited:
It's probably more complicated than that. The NFL claims to have not seen the video, which is believable if you think it could be because the NFL didn't WANT to see the video. There is no indication from the NFL that they did not know about the video, only that they have not seen it. The NFL probably ignored it in the hopes that it would go away quietly, which after the 2-game suspension was of course impossible. They tried to fix it by changing the domestic violence policy, and probably would have gotten away with it except for the fact that the video was inevitably going to be leaked somehow.

This creates some pretty big football implications, too, aside from the obvious. The Ravens literally cannot cut Ray Rice (due to salary cap limitations) without an intervention (some form of cap reprieve/lifetime ban of Rice) from the NFL, and we already know who's side they're on.

After that Broncos @ Patriots last year, every single game in which we are winning by multiple touchdowns at the half feels like misery. I actually prefer when we're winning by less than a score, or even losing at the half. Then Foxball doesn't happen.
It was one of the worst games the broncos played in a long time. It was dreadful to watch. I haven't been angrier at a win ever.

Which is why the 2011 Saints are the best team ever. It's why I'm for EVERY team try to score as many points as possible, even if winning by 40. If teams stayed aggressive at all times I bet we'd see less of these crappy games. The 2011 Saints should be praised. Coaches that run up the score should be praised. Terrible game by the Broncos and everyone in that organization should feel ashamed.

And the Ravens Cut Ray Rice

it's clear that the video going public was what got Rice his walking papers, not the act itself. Wrong message.

The Ravens need to apologize for their unconditional Public support of Rice and should admit that they were extremely idiotic throughout this entire situation.

I mean read this

Reactions: DM

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This creates some pretty big football implications, too, aside from the obvious. The Ravens literally cannot cut Ray Rice (due to salary cap limitations) without an intervention (some form of cap reprieve/lifetime ban of Rice) from the NFL, and we already know who's side they're on.
According to the Ravens and ESPN Rice has been released

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As a long-time resident of Baltimore and a Ravens fan, I only have one thing to say:

Good. Fucking. Riddance. Should have been done ages ago, but better nate than lever.

Reactions: DM
So they don't even follow their own new suspension policy and can unilaterally just change his suspension simply because a video pops up of the incident, even though it was pretty obvious what happened? Expecting an appeal by the players union on the change of his 2 game suspension to indefinite.

I know it's the unpopular thought here, but she still ended up marrying him for whatever reason despite the incident and they have both reached some level of moving past the incident. Can't they just let them fucking move on instead of now further ruining his career and ironically affecting her life as well? Things like TMZ are the dredges of society.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Or maybe she stayed with him because she is a victim of domestic abuse. Ray Rice has made a ton of money already. He has absolutely no place in this league. Don't try to play any sympathy for him, he deserves none.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So they don't even follow their own new suspension policy and can unilaterally just change his suspension simply because a video pops up of the incident, even though it was pretty obvious what happened? Expecting an appeal by the players union on the change of his 2 game suspension to indefinite.

I know it's the unpopular thought here, but she still ended up marrying him for whatever reason despite the incident and they have both reached some level of moving past the incident. Can't they just let them fucking move on instead of now further ruining his career and ironically affecting her life as well? Things like TMZ are the dredges of society.
If what bothers you is that the NFL and the Ravens' move screams of backpeddling to appease public sentiment, then sure, I agree with you wholeheartedly. A two-game suspension was a laughable response to the incident in the first place. (I also am not sure I buy that this was the first time the NFL saw the video, since that directly contradicts what people like Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen have said, and they tend to have a pretty good idea of what is going on.)

As for the actual incident itself...

The fact that the victim in this instance chose to marry him regardless isn't really relevant. I'm not part of their relationship and I don't know what kind of power dynamic they have. Maybe she's moved on, or maybe this is actually the norm with him, and like many victims of domestic abuse she's been terrorized to the point where she feels like she doesn't deserve any better. Or maybe he has shown serious change in his personal life. That latter bit would be great! But ultimately, the Ravens brand is made up of its players and, for better or for worse, how the players conduct themselves off the field does have a bearing on the team as a whole.

Maybe I'm sensitive because I live in Baltimore, and so I see kids wearing Ray Rice jerseys every day. This is a guy who really seemed like a positive role model, who went out of his way to be involved in the community. He was the example people used to point to around here when they talked about how most NFL football players are actually stand-up guys, and that the Michael Vicks were the exception, not the rule.

And you know what? He still had a chance to make some positive change after this all happened. It wouldn't necessarily excuse his actions, but he could have said, hey, guys, I've got a problem. I have anger issues, and I lashed out and hurt someone I loved, and that's not OK, and here's what I'm doing to fix the problem. I mean, seriously, think about it. What if he had used this opportunity to actually open a public discussion on domestic violence from the male's perspective? That would actually be a pretty big deal, and might have gotten other people with similar issues to try to seek help. But no, instead, we got a mealy-mouthed half-apology and an attempt to shove everything under the rug and downplay the incident.

Well, guess fucking what, eventually it came out and now this asshole is out of a job. And so, I repeat myself: Good. Fucking. Riddance. This whole nonsense and the lukewarm response to it really dampened my enthusiasm for the Ravens, which is basically the only football team I've ever seriously cared about. Maybe now I can start wearing purple on Fridays again.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wouldnt be surprised if the Lions win the North. They look impressive.
They were playing the hapless Giant offense though, so I wouldn't crown them just yet. I think the Packers still win the North, with the Vikings and Lions coming down to random tiebreakers to determine second (and the 6th playoff seed).

Who the heck even is the fourth team in that division? I just had a big brane fart :(

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Probably because my Bills went into Chicago and took a hot, steamy dump on Soldier Field.

I reiterate what I said a couple posts ago: anyone who argued with me about Ray Rice can suck a fucking fuck. If you defended him, you should be fucking ashamed of yourself.

And Shinryu could not be more right about TMZ being the fucking scum of the earth. Releasing that video is an incredible violation of Janay Rice's privacy as the victim in this whole affair, and all this added attention could possibly put her in more physical danger. Everybody involved in this situation has fucked it up royally (and in so many ways exacerbated it), so I don't want anyone to have the illusion that anyone did the right thing at any time.

They were playing the hapless Giant offense though, so I wouldn't crown them just yet. I think the Packers still win the North, with the Vikings and Lions coming down to random tiebreakers to determine second (and the 6th playoff seed).

Who the heck even is the fourth team in that division? I just had a big brane fart :(
Yeah I know they played the Giants. The thing is the Lions have probably the least question marks when compared to Bears and Packers.

1. The Lions offence is just as good as the Bears and Packers, maybe even a bit better.
2. Their front 7 is one of the best, while the Packers and Bears defense are two of the worst in the league.
3. Their schedule is a little bit easier than the Packers and Bears.

I mean its easy to say the Packers will win just because they have Aaron Rodgers but I think that team has a lot of problems on defense and on their offensive line.

is jim caldwell still the coach of the lions? ya im not touching them
What kind of question is that? That was his first game ever as the head coach of the lions. When does a coach get fired before they even coach one game? If you knew he was the lions coach at any point in time then you would clearly know that he still is. The guy appears to do fine when he has legit offensive talent to use like Peyton Manning or Calvin Johnson. What the heck are you supposed to do with Joe Flacco? Too bad you can't blame Caldwell for the Ravens only scoring 16 points this week (thanks to a ridiculous blown coverage at the end of the game)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I dunno man, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns fired half their front office after a single game.

The reason is either something-something-abuse-victims and/or "dude he's fucking loaded, I'd let some guy smack me around every once in a while to live the fucking high life too." Not that I don't agree with you.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

da bears. i wish i could forget about them too.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't stop watching that clip of Antonio Brown cleating Lanning in the face. Obligatory Mortal Kombat and Karate Kid gifs will abound!

What kind of question is that? That was his first game ever as the head coach of the lions. When does a coach get fired before they even coach one game? If you knew he was the lions coach at any point in time then you would clearly know that he still is. The guy appears to do fine when he has legit offensive talent to use like Peyton Manning or Calvin Johnson. What the heck are you supposed to do with Joe Flacco? Too bad you can't blame Caldwell for the Ravens only scoring 16 points this week (thanks to a ridiculous blown coverage at the end of the game)
someone doesnt understand a joke, no shit i know caldwell's the coach, the point is that he is horrendous. literally a sub 30 win percentage with wake forest, a completely uninspired coaching of a peyton manning led colts that had no aspect of good coaching after manning went down, into a bottom ranked ravens offense.

why would you be impressed after 1 game vs what appears to actually be one of the leagues worst teams. ill say it again, im not touchin the lions, they clearly have a lot of skill but their coach is a complete joke.

The Ravens backed up an accused murder. Were you really expecting them not to back up an assaulter? They just released him because of the circus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)