Team Movepools

Venusaur-Mega w/ Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Giga Drain, and Leech Seed. Sableye w/ Leech Seed, Substitute, Recover, and Sleep Powder.

You'd better hope you have a sturdy Grass-Type.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Some other Spooky Combos
  • Tyranitar + Landorous-I/T : T-Tar gets Knock Off as a scary as fuck Dark STAB and potentially U-Turn if you feel like that. Meanwhile, Lando-I literally becomes a better Nidoking, getting access to Sheer Force Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Fire Blast. Lando-T meanwhile can use Ice Punch for really good coverage, although Ice Beam might be better to hit other Lando-T / Gliscor better. They also fit really well in a team imo.
  • Shuckle + Hippowdon : So the idea is to give something else Sticky Web, and this is a cute idea I thought of. Hippo is a good candidate due to being able to switch into Bisharp, a premier defiant user, while giving Shuckle Slack Off for a recovery move and a huge SpDef boost with Sand. This also gives Hippo Knock Off for maximum annoyance.
  • Shaymin + Victini : Also known as "Team Stupidly High BP Moves". Both of these mons have access to stupidly high BP moves - Victini gets Seed Flare for special sets to hit Water-types, especially Rotom-W. It also gets Earth Power now, which is super neat. Meamwhile, Shaymin gets Blue Flare as a good coverage option. Overall these are a neat combo. Fuck Celebi :]
  • Gothitelle + Lilligant / Venomoth / Volcarona : The idea is the same as the CM set, but with Quiver Dance to rek things. Lilligant grants Goth Sleep Powder and nothing else really while Volcarona grants Roost, Fire Coverage, and good Bug moves to hit Dark-types if that's your thing. Finally, Venomoth gives Goth Baton Pass for ultimate spook. Pair with Memento and watch your opponent cry.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Malamar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Destiny Bond
- Knock Off
- Taunt

In movepool-expanding metagames, people tend to immediately go for crazy stat-boosting and sweeping sets, so Prankster Topsy-Turvy (and to a lesser extent, Heart Swap) are useful to avoid getting swept. Manaphy's better than Malamar, but I think Topsy-Turvy is more important than Heart Swap because with Heart Swap, you can still definitely die right after using it whereas that will almost never be the case with Topsy-Turvy.

This Thundurus moveset should be nearly optimal based on its fully supportive role; I really can't think of anything to improve. Another option is Murkrow; fully physically defensive Murkrow is barely bulkier on the physical side and a bit bulkier on the special side than this Thundurus and has Roost, so you can handle the opposing sweepers more easily. However, this means you won't have Knock Off, and Malamar won't get Hammer Arm or Knock Off. Thundurus also has a better defensive typing and Leftovers, so it's not quite clear yet which is the better option, although now that I type this, Murkrow might be.

The Malamar set is up for change, but this should be one of the best ones, even though it has two offensive Fighting attacks. I chose this over Rest variants because they're passive at times; one free turn in movepool-expanding metas could cost you the game, especially if Thundurus is gone.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
talonflame+azumarill=win

it can efficiently destroy both stall and offense.

bellysitrus talon sets up on anything that cant do more than 75% against it and proceed to use priority acrobatics to obliterate stall. Screw your prankster moves, I got base 126 speed priority. While flare blitz recoil sucks, you also get aqua jet, play rough, etc.

The main thing is that this is azumarills dream. The AV set is known as a pivot, but it has no recovery and no pivot move. Well say hi to u-turn azumarill. If you Dont run AV you can finally have reliable recovery in roost. This makes the perishtrap set that much better. meanwhile the bellydrum set also gets better. ferrothorn? eat a sack of shit...and my flame charge. If it can get that +1 speed it can also outspeed many stall threats and smack them around with much stronger moves than aqua jet.

I could go more in depth but im lazy, and dont care nearly enuf to even illustrate the impacts. so theres more with it but you figure it out (hint: non huge power azumarill).

anything with quiver dance, grass knot, something to beat clefable, and priority. that =win.

also entei+darmanitan for bellyspeed and sacred fire spam. Also it means that entei can finally use EQ

What if I give my quagsire psych up?
Yeah, an excellent stall duo would be Unaware + any of these fully evolved Psych Up + Baton Pass Pokémon (best options in bold):
Absol, Celebi, Delcatty, Drifblim, Espeon, Farfetch'd, Girafarig, Gorebyss, Hypno, Illumise, Lunatone, Masquerain, Mawile, Medicham, Mew, Mienshao, Mr. Mime, Musharna, Solrock, Spinda, Sylveon, Togekiss, Umbreon, Volbeat, Watchog, Xatu

canno

formerly The Reptile
The more I think about it, the spookier Gothitele gets. You better bring Shed Shell on everything.

You could also use Wobb if you're lame ;)

Fun little couple here:

Volbeat (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Healing Wish

- Encore
- Trick

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Volbeat gives Gardevoir Tail Glow to really boost his special attack and make it a threat on every team. That was simple.
The fun part of this duo, is Volbeat himself. Combined with his prankster, he gets W-o-W to cripple physical attackers, with his own Encore can make sweepers suffer, Trick to hurt every non poison type, And last but not least, Healing Wish to heal one of your pokemons to full health.

Well, hope you like it :3

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 232 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Protect / Encore

When I took a look at this metagame, this is the first thing I thought of. Pair it up with Celebi and you have what looks to be a very threatening force. You come in, Perish Song, stay healthy with Recover + Leftovers, laugh at status with Heal Bell, and take them out. You can get around it with U-Turn and Volt Switch, which basically any Pokemon can learn, but it's still an interesting idea.

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 232 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Recover
- Heal Bell
- Protect / Encore

When I took a look at this metagame, this is the first thing I thought of. Pair it up with Celebi and you have what looks to be a very threatening force. You come in, Perish Song, stay healthy with Recover + Leftovers, laugh at status with Heal Bell, and take them out. You can get around it with U-Turn and Volt Switch, which basically any Pokemon can learn, but it's still an interesting idea.
too bad that set is really taunt bait you need to at least have one attack

Well...

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers/Choice Scarf/ ???
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Thunder Wave
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

This is awesome...

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
this meta sounds fun, but oddly very de ja vu like...have we had a meta like this before? nonetheless, i found some stuff id be willing to try out in this meta:

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Psycho Cut/Superpower

Malamar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Superpower
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut/Zen headbutt/Bolt strike (i guess?)

oh boy...Hooray for originality. Who would've seen this coming. i should get the "original sets of the year award". but seriously though, v-create malamar makes malamar at least SOMEWHAT viable. on top of that, v-create gives good coverage. victini...really doesn't get much of anything other then superpower and psycho cut to abuse, but lets face it, 2 v-creaters will be enough to threaten the opposing team so it doesn't even really need much more anyway.
and now for a more defensive core:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind/Nasty plot (if you're crazy.)
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower/Moonblast/Aura Sphere/Yawn

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or EVs: 252 HP /4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Moonblast
- Air Slash/defog
- Thunder Wave/defog

This core...is really just "patching up each others problems" cresselia gets Reliable recovery along with good coverage moves such as aura sphere and flamethrower, while also having other options like nasty plot for more power at the cost of bulk, and yawn to get more calm minds up. togekiss however, gets one thing, and one thing alone. and that is moonblast. which can potentially turn a special attacker into a joke for togekiss with the 60% chance of a spc attack drop. forcing a switch, and/or getting off a nice twave to abuse flinch hax.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Mczatar That core can be improved. First off, replace Blissey with Eviolite Chansey - you need the extra bulk, since your Speed stat is practically nonexistent (EV spread the same as the OU standard). Secondly, Ditto's moves. With Imposter, Ditto is transforming as soon as it comes in unless the opponent is behind a Substitute (Ditto v. Ditto mirror matches won't happen except as a first-turn thing). As such, the only move you really need from Chansey's movepool is Seismic Toss, which breaks Substitutes from most Pokemon. Ditto doesn't have the power to break them with anything else, so other offensive moves are useless, since it'll lose them when it transforms anyway (Thunder Wave is also useless with Imposter, since Substitute blocks it). If you're running a set other than Scarf Ditto for some reason (which you probably shouldn't be), then add Softboiled to restore Ditto's health. Also, I'd change its IVs so that it will give you a Hidden Power with good SE coverage, since Imposter doesn't copy IVs (and thus doesn't copy Hidden Power type); Ice and Fire are probably the best choices in that regard.

I can see Galvantula being good here

Galvantula @ LO/Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
Modest/Timid Nature
Thunder
Blizzard
Fire Blast/Focus Blast
Sticky Web

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite/LO/Assvest
Sand Stream
your choice of moveset

This core was chosen obviously for the extra moves on galvantula and TTar can be replaced by other mons

Sheer Cold No Guard Machamp

Kelstoise anyone???

Keldeo @ Choice Specs/Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: Max Special attack and speed with 4HP
Modest
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse/Secret Sword/Hydr Pump
-Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse/Secret Sword

lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru
lolno impossibru

Hide yo Kids!!!

252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 373-441 (88.1 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 200-236 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO bruh
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 185-218 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO bruh
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery u w0t m8

Stealth rock works wonders with this.

Last edited:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery u w0t m8
252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

umm

I can see Mew being used as a move passer as well as a good support mon. Is Smeargle useless since Sketch can't be passed and Smeargle doesn't learn other moves normally?

Mczatar That core can be improved. First off, replace Blissey with Eviolite Chansey - you need the extra bulk, since your Speed stat is practically nonexistent (EV spread the same as the OU standard). Secondly, Ditto's moves. With Imposter, Ditto is transforming as soon as it comes in unless the opponent is behind a Substitute (Ditto v. Ditto mirror matches won't happen except as a first-turn thing). As such, the only move you really need from Chansey's movepool is Seismic Toss, which breaks Substitutes from most Pokemon. Ditto doesn't have the power to break them with anything else, so other offensive moves are useless, since it'll lose them when it transforms anyway (Thunder Wave is also useless with Imposter, since Substitute blocks it).
It's not like Ditto wants to stay in on something with a sub anyway. Nearly anything Everything can deal massive damage to Ditto, so running Seismic Toss doesn't sound too helpful imo. (The only situation I see Seismic Toss being useful is when you no longer need Ditto, but the opponent has a sub up; from there, Ditto can sac itself and break the sub.)

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
It's not like Ditto wants to stay in on something with a sub anyway. Nearly anything Everything can deal massive damage to Ditto, so running Seismic Toss doesn't sound too helpful imo. (The only situation I see Seismic Toss being useful is when you no longer need Ditto, but the opponent has a sub up; from there, Ditto can sac itself and break the sub.)
^Yeah, that's exactly the purpose of having Seismic Toss on there. Outside of that, you don't actually need any other moves.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is Smeargle useless since Sketch can't be passed and Smeargle doesn't learn other moves normally?
Yeah, Smeargle ironically misses out in this metagame, since Sketch and move obtained through Sketch aren't allowed to be shared with other Pokemon.

Smeargle does have a slightly larger movepool than Sketch. It gets False Swipe, Odor Sleuth, Mean Look, Spore, Captivate, and Sleep Talk through events or Dream World in Gen 5, and it can have Tail Whip, Double Slap, and Iron Tail through purification in Colosseum. That allows it to pass one good move in Spore to a teammate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)