ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Mega Sharpedo right now. Sharpedo his design looks similar to the original one but more badass which is what I like in terms of mega evolution design. It loses Speed Boost though and all his stat are getting a boost meaning that he doesn't get one huge bugg to a stat probably. Most likely will be inferior to normal Sharpedo but still pretty cool.

Mega Camerupt looks like a walking Slugma with a Vulcano. It doesn't exactly look intimidating but it's pretty funny to look at. Sheer Force is also a nice ability and Mega Camerupt might be a decent wallbreaker in the lower tiers.

Gallade is the one I am least exited for but still pretty cool. He doesn't really change much but upon closer inspection he look like he is wearing a cape. Also Wally is standing next to him meaning he probably loses his Gardevoir and gets a Gallade in return. Seeing how I dislike Gardevoir this is a + for me. Now if they get rid of his Altaria I might take Wally serious.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Urgh I'm really disappointed with these mega's. I legit can't see much difference in appearance for Gallade, Camerupt looks OK i guess, I just never really liked it to begin with. Sharpedo to me is the biggest let down, he is one of my all time favourites so I think I just over hyped his potential mega too much. But really, he just grew a longer nose and got some racing stripes! Also losing Speed Boost to me seems like a bit of a downgrade, I know you can delay evolution to get a boost but that means probably having to run Protect. You also lose out on Focus Sash, and Sharpedo is super frail so switching it in / getting a boost is going to be tough. Obviously his mega will not play the same as it's base form which is fine. I just really don't like Strong Jaw, of course it fits the design but Sharpedo only gets two moves to utilise it! At least Tyrantrum gets all the biting moves. What's worse is that nothing in the Water 2 egg group learns the fang moves so there's no hope for new egg moves, and I can't imagine a tutor with the fang moves so it looks like he's just stuck with Crunch + Ice Fang.

Anyway one thing I do like about Mega Sharpedo is that with that longer snout he somewhat resembles a Goblin Shark, and I just named my shiny Sharpedo Mitsukurina (the species name of the Goblin Shark) just because of the pink colour, at least now the nickname can be justified a little more lol

Here's what I think about the new stuff.

Mega Gallade: So. Much. Awesome. I have never liked fighting-types such as Machamp, Hariyama, and Conkeldurr that are overly jacked and macho, preferring ones such a Mienshao and Lucario. Mega Gallade is just so cool. I am officially using Gallade instead of Gardevoir in my AS run, whether or not I can megavolve it.

Mega Sharpedo: It looks really fast and strong; I am not looking forward to fighting Archie.

Mega Camerupt: Despite what others say, I think Mega Camerupt is pretty cool. The lava erupting from the volcano is a nice touch. My only nitpick is that the lava has to go somewhere, right?

And one last note to anyone who intends to do the contests: Stock up on Apicot/Ganlon/Liechi/Petaya/Salac berries in XY (They're pretty easy to get) and trade them to ORAS when the time comes; they have almost the strongest flavours of all berries; I think only Lansat/Starf/Event berries are better.

What's very interesting are the new Primal abilities. It CLEARLY says in Japanese "Strong rain / sun". I don't think this means perma-weather! New weather effects maybe?!

I think it's permanent weather ...

Sharpedo will learn all the fangs, trust me.

No signature move for Kyogore ? Water sprout is not exclusive !

Camerupt mega speculation : + 40 Att/Sp Att +20 Def/Sp Def -20 Speed

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not overly surprised about any of these Megas, considering that Archie and Maxie were revealed to have Mega Stones and Sharpedo and Camerupt were pretty much their signature 'mons, and we already had Mega Gardevoir so it would only make sense for Gallade to get his own Mega (which, thinking about it, also means we might get Mega Slowking in the future).
Design wise, I think Sharpedo is probably the most clever. Even though I think they overdid it with the yellow markings, I like the idea that he turns into a sawtooth shark. I kind of knew he would be getting Strong Jaw as his ability, though to be fair I don't think they could have given him much else considering how he's basically all mouth. Camerupt is... okay, but he would have been better without that goofy grin. Sheer Force is always a nice ability to have on an attacker, although I don't see MegaCam being particularly good without better bulk and a recovery move. I don't have much to say about Gallade, considering that we don't know his ability, but it is clever how they made his "wings" look similar to Gardevoir's "dress"

I'm sure Kyogre has a confirmed new animation for a move that lools like and ice column or something. A dual-type move would be cool.
Groudon's will probably be Fire-Ground.

Maybe I'm just weird, because I really enjoy all of the mega people seem to hate! Mega mence and sharpedo look amazing! Lol. I just hope mega sharpedo is viable in OU he's way to cool of a pokemon to be lingering in RU

I really hope Primal Groudon's new ability gives it water-type immunity as long as Drought's activated. Ironically, this would actually make it a great switch-in against Primal Kyogre, specially when you consider the likely OHKO from a buffed EQ. Primal Kyogre getting immunity to fire-type moves would pretty meh, which is fine considering the rain already boosts its main moves, something Groudon won't be able to say unless it gets Flare Blitz and it's still nothing comparable to the recoil-free Water Spout.

If Groudon gets Water Immunity, there'll finally be some balance between RS legendaries. They'll be able to seriously threaten each other and will basicaly compete to see who wins the weather war. That's how their in-game relationship is supposed to be right? That's so much better than the Kyogre-pwns-Groudon-scenario we've had ever since RSE.

I really like Mega Sharpedo right now. Sharpedo his design looks similar to the original one but more badass which is what I like in terms of mega evolution design. It loses Speed Boost though and all his stat are getting a boost meaning that he doesn't get one huge bugg to a stat probably. Most likely will be inferior to normal Sharpedo but still pretty cool.
You're kidding, right? Right now, Sharpedo has 120 attack and 95 speed. Assuming, and this is the only assumption that I'm going to make, that Sharpedo gets the rough equivalent to a life orb boost in attack, it will have around 155 to 160 as a base stat. Strong Jaw plus STAB makes Crunch a base 180 physical attack with no drawback. Compared to M Gardevoir, who has a 165 base special attack, and a 175.5 base power move with no draw backs. With Protect, it has a very usable speed, greater than Talonflame's, and an offensive move that's roughly equivalent (maybe a bit less) to M Gardevoir's Hyper Voice, and a STAB priority.

Even without such a high attack boost, and with piss poor bulk, Mega Sharpedo should be in no way inferior to Base Sharpedo.

You're kidding, right? Right now, Sharpedo has 120 attack and 95 speed. Assuming, and this is the only assumption that I'm going to make, that Sharpedo gets the rough equivalent to a life orb boost in attack, it will have around 155 to 160 as a base stat. Strong Jaw plus STAB makes Crunch a base 180 physical attack with no drawback. Compared to M Gardevoir, who has a 165 base special attack, and a 175.5 base power move with no draw backs. With Protect, it has a very usable speed, greater than Talonflame's, and an offensive move that's roughly equivalent (maybe a bit less) to M Gardevoir's Hyper Voice, and a STAB priority.

Even without such a high attack boost, and with piss poor bulk, Mega Sharpedo should be in no way inferior to Base Sharpedo.
Well it will get a boost to all it's stats so it's base attack is probably going to be 140ish but we will have to see about that in the future. As for Crunch yeah it is strong but most of it's other moves are nowhere as strong. Even though Mega Sharpedo is probably going to be better than I originally said I still think it won't make that much of an impact in OU since priority murders it and Pokemon like Azumarill can take his hits quite easily and kill it.

why is camerupt a slug

anyway here is the updated mega's type tally (assuming mega gallade is still psychic/fighting)

1 ice mega
2 poison megas
2 electric megas
3 ground megas
3 normal megas
3 rock megas
3 bug megas
3 grass megas
3 ghost megas
4 flying megas
5 water megas
5 fire megas
5 fairy megas
5 steel megas
6 dark megas
7 fighting megas
8 dragon megas
10 psychic megas

here it is ignoring mega gallade

1 ice mega
2 poison megas
2 electric megas
3 ground megas
3 normal megas
3 rock megas
3 bug megas
3 grass megas
3 ghost megas
4 flying megas
5 water megas
5 fire megas
5 fairy megas
5 steel megas
6 dark megas
6 fighting megas
8 dragon megas
9 psychic megas

but seriously, why is camerupt a slug

I really... really don't know how I feel about Wally having Gallade instead of Gardevoir and it'll really take a while to grow on me. Like it might be the only bit of ORAS news I'm not happy with so far.
But Wally and Mega Gallade on their own
Look hella rad

These are all really growing on me. Have you guys looked properly at Mega Camerupt? If you look at the side-on picture, at first you see only the rock jutting out of its back, but if you regard the very bottom of Camerupt's fur as the base of the mountain, and the jutting out rock as an extension of that, Camerupt's entire body makes the shape of a perfect erupting volcano! It's actually really cool, and I didn't notice until now!

Edit: if this was obvious to everyone then I apologize.

Edit 2: Gahhhh I'm so impressed Mega Camerupt's design. Please give us more megas like this. It just accents the character of the pokemon so perfectly.

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea where the 'slug' thing is coming from on Camerupt. I... I don't see the Slug comparison, guys. It's very obviously an erupting volcano with legs and a head which fits Camerupt honestly. I really am not seeing this slug thing.

I think Mega Sharpedo is another case of "the official art does a piss poor job of giving you a first impression" If you look at the screen shot it doesn't look so ridiculous and busy. It looks like the additional fins/blades/spikes on it's nose retract or fold down or something. they probably only pop out while it executes attacks only or something. Now that new moves and abilities are both confirmed I wonder if there might be a few more. Perhaps a Water type Biting attack?

Meanwhile I am SO pissed at Diantha right now. She's a thief! A no good crook! A MAIN STEALER!! Literally ever other champion had the decency and pride in their own generation to pick out a main from their gen, rather than STEAL someone else's!! Mega Gallade is a really weird mixed bag to me. He himself is flippin' sweet. I'm actually really surprised how much I like him given how much I don't really care for regular Gallade. The cape(s)! And I bet the red on his arms does some really awesome stuff once he's animated. He looks like such show-man... but then he's standing next to Wally. What happened to the sickly boy and guardian angle? Honestly one of my favorite character parring ins in all of Pokemon and it was broken apart. My feeling is literally like, before this news I was prepared to say "ORAS is better than RS in every way, it's all the good stuff plus more" now I have to say "ORAS is better in almost every aspect" I was hoping I wasn't gonna be picking and choosing things that are better in one make or the other....

BTW, is that "colored smoke" just supposed to be from coming out of a mega evolution or is it something else? Given M-Gallade's cape, and Wally's new look, they just feel like "performers", like show-men, and with that colored smoke/fog machine affect they just have a very "rock star" vibe. Perhaps they looks so ready to perform because they have a much more contest oriented story line? Since they're taking away his guardian angle, it would almost make sense to alter his story. Wally is a sickly boy who is actually able to go on an adventure and grow into a strong person because of his guardian. GARDevoir was a key component of that plot. Maybe now instead of being sickly he'll be like a shy boy who learns to come out of his shell with his caped performer friend? that could be a redeeming way to handle the new pairing.

And finally I don't know how you could not love Mega Camerupt. It is so adorable. i got ninja'd a little bit here, but that's not a slug. It has legs. And they aren't even stubby legs either. it's just a really shaggy Pokemon now, like Stoutland or something where the fur is so long you barley even see the legs.

Last edited:
I love that Mega Camerupt has the team magma (M) symbol in between his eyes. I wonder if Mega Sharpedo has the aqua symbol somewhere on his snout.

Really impressed with megagallade! Wally looks really awesome in the scan next to megallade and that coat makes him a lot less wimpy compared to his original look. Hopefully that delcatty gets killed for the final battle.....
Mega camerupt's fine i guess. Those zeros on it always made me go wtf, so thats a plus.
Kinda wish megapedo grew into a whole shark instead of just random spikes and streaks tho...

there is no such thing as a whoole camel, you literally just made that up. that picture is a bactrian camel. There are only two living camel species, bactrian (two humps, what regular camerupt is) and dromedary (one hump, what mega camerupt is)

I didn't call as a species, I just described as what I see, is a cammel covered in whool, so is a whooly cammel, I'm so sorry for no calling the animals for their specific specie.

The first time a kid saw a tarantula, he will call it "a spider covered with whool" or "Whooly spider" for give a description. And still is not a slug.

Edit:

Errata: Camel*

Edit2:

"Megapedo" on spanish "Pedo" means "fart" xD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)