ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello! First time poster, long time viewer. Originally I was part of another Pokemon board where we discussed Pokemon, but that had died in recent years so I thought I move onto a new board. And with these new CoroCoro leaks out I thought would be the perfect time to start sharing my thoughts:

POKEMON: Mega Sharpedo

NORM'S TYPE: Water/Dark
NORM'S ABILITY: Rough Skin//Speed Boost
MEGA'S ABILITY: Strong Jaws
NORM'S STATS: 70/120/40/95/40/95//460
MEGA'S STAT CHANGES: + All Stats
OPINION:
On its design, I'm not so sure about it. Actually I like its in-game model as it doesn't have the spikes on its nose for some reason. Also note that the "X" scars on the top of Sharpedo's note vaguely form an "A". Overall I think they overdid it with the scars as well. I think they were going for a more submarine look but i think its too much details that makes this not work for me.
Onto its Ability change, true right now it only works for Crunch and Ice Fang, but they've given Pokemon who got move-related Abilities like Mega Launcher and Skill Link more moves that can make use of it. Maybe you may have to breed, use a move relearner, or use a move tutor, but it'll probably be given the 3 other bite moves it's missing (Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, & Poison Fang).
As for stat, being its getting an increase to all stats I'd like for them to mainly put it in Attack and Speed. A +20 to all non-HP stats I don't think would be that great. Also rather they focus more on offense because unless they put a majority of points in its defensive stats it's going to remain frail so might as well focus making it a sweeper.

POKEMON: Mega Camerupt

NORM'S TYPE: Fire/Ground
NORM'S ABILITY: Magma Armor/Solid Rock//Anger Point
MEGA'S ABILITY: Sheer Force
NORM'S STATS: 70/100/70/105/75/40//460
MEGA'S STAT CHANGES: - Speed, + Other Stats
OPINION:f
On the contrary to Mega Sharpedo I like this design. Sad to see it lose one of its volcano humps, though at least now it has lava pouring out of the one it has. Also it has a "M" on its face, it's as if Archie and Maxie designed their respective signature Pokemon themselves. It does sort of look a bit odd being very wooly on the bottom, but I think the volcano shell pouring lava make up for it.
I don't think Sheer Force was the best choice here. Doesn't really fit it. Then again I would have probably gave it White Smoke since, well, its a volcano. Though I suppose if you want a useful Ability maybe something like Solar Power or Flash Fire. Hey, since its a camel, how about Moody. :P Then again I don't think it keeping Solid Rock would have been bad. Well no point in speculating, we got Sheer Force and I guess it has moves it can use to make it work. Most Fire-type moves can burn and it has Earth Power so it has two STABs that can take advantage of it. There's also Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Flash Cannon, and Iron Head. Sadly nothing to hit its major weaknesses.
I think the decrease of Speed is a good thing. I mean, look, it's normal Speed is already 40, at least losing Speed means it can do better on a Trick Room team. And with Speed decreased it gives one or two of its other stats a slight increase. While I do think it should focus more on offense, I think it should also get an nice amount of defensive increase to, ESPECIALLY in Special Defense.

POKEMON: Mega Gallade

NORM'S TYPE: Psychic/Fighting
NORM'S ABILITY: Steadfast//Justified
NORM'S STATS: 68/125/65/65/115/80//518
OPINION:
I'll talk about Wally soon enough, but first Mega Gallade. I'm not too sure about the design. Whenever I see a line separating two white parts it makes me think that someone forgot to color something in. Also its arm blade getting those red parts sort of looks out of place. The cape/wings also throw me a bit off, like they added it just so they have the "guardian angel" motif for Wally. Overall I think they were maybe focusing too much on having Gallade fit with Wally then having it stand on its own.
As noted a few times before, Gallade's stats match that of Gardevoir's, just Attack switched with Special Attack. So does that mean Mega Gallade's stats will be 68/165/65/85/135/100//618? Maybe, but I'd like to point out that Latios & Latias stats do the same thing but their Mega Evolutions change their stats in different ways. That said, 165 Attack and 100 Speed is fine in my book, then some focus on its defensive stat with little to no focus on Special Attack.
I'm not going to speculate on possible Ability since there's so many to choose from, though I'd probably go with Super Luck also and give it most if not all the increased critical ratio Physical moves.
Finally for its typing, I'd stick with Psychic/Fighting. Not that I'd be opposed to Fairy/Fighting, but to me the Ralts family's main type is Psychic and it should remain a constant thoughout its evolution line. Fairy/Fighting also doesn't really change much, plus Psycho Cut is sort of its unofficial signature move.

NEW ABILITIES:
Mega/Primal Kyogre's and Mega/Primal Groudon's new Abilities, Sea of Beginnings and Land of Endings, does sound like they'll cause perma weather. I actually like that idea, nerfing Drizzle and Drought allows other Pokemon to have it meanwhile these new Abilities let Kyogre and Groudon keep their gimmick, at least their Mega/Primal form. I also doubt it'll have any additional effects, they do seem like a sort of "rule patch" Ability just for Kyogre and Groudon.

NEW MOVE:
Cliff Sword sounds cool... that's really all I can say about it. I guess if I have to compare it to another existing move I'd probably like to see it being something like a Ground-type Bolt Strike. Something REALLY powerful, because otherwise it might as use Earthquake.
Also for those who were saying Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows were going to be their signature moves, I think it's pretty clear those moves are going to be for Zygarde. Probably going to go through a form change into something that can properly fight against Xerneas and Yveltal.

Wally:

Glad to finally see Wally. With Diantha having Mega Gardevoir I wondered if they were going to give Wally it or Gallade. Apparently it was Gallade, though I'm surprised that they're going to give him the ability to Mega Evolve it.
First on Wally's design, it looks a bit odd. It RSE he wore an normal shirt and pants, but here he's dressed up. this is a bit odd considering his supposed sickness, but then again this could be later in the game when he's feeling better and decides to go traveling. I do hope they keep the sick aspect though, it was an interesting part of his character which showed that even if someone has a disability of some sort they can still do what they want. Also Keystone pendant, wish we could customise the way we wear our Keystone.
And not onto the whole "Guardian Angel" issue. Well as I said in my opinions of Gallade, it does have aspects of a guardian angel much to the detriment of its design, so that element is still there. However I don't really mind the change even if it wasn't there. Sure, the whole "Gardevoir is Wally's Guardian Angel" thing is a nice theme, though I think him having a Gallade also gives another message. When Wally catches Ralts he's a sick boy and Ralts is a weak Pokemon. But through training both improve and, with him evolving it to a Gallade, shows that both of them have become powerful fighters. Wally doesn't let his sickness hold him back and Gallade no longer has weak stats, even getting the Ability to Mega Evolve. They sort of an equal development with one another instead of Gardevoir acting like his protector.
That said, Diantha's signature Pokemon should have been her Goodra. Seriously, a region's Champion's signature Pokemon should be a Pokemon introduced in that generation. At most the Mega Pokemon should be a second signature Pokemon, not the only one. On that same note Lysandre's signature should have been his Pyroar.

Well that's all I have to say for now. :)

I don't really like M-Sharpedo's or M-Camerupt's designs but I've never really cared that much about either of them so I'm particularly let down or disappointed.

M-Gallade is okay. I do like the addition of the cape. It adds a sort of nobility to it but I don't care for the rest of the changes. The style of the helmet is not my taste. The nearly all white color scheme for its body doesn't work here the way it does for M-Gardevoir and the sword arms seem a bit too much. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I see the alternate artwork that's been cut off.

What is interesting about M-Gallade's design is the horn that was on base form Gallade has now been reduced to a seemingly flat triangle marking. In contrast, M-Gardevoir had its one horn grow and become too. I wonder if there's some sort of significance to that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What is interesting about M-Gallade's design is the horn that was on base form Gallade has now been reduced to a seemingly flat triangle marking. In contrast, M-Gardevoir had its one horn grow and become too. I wonder if there's some sort of significance to that.
I think that's where the red blades formed from. The red chest spike flattened so that new blade-shaped ones can grow on its arms. Sort of like how Mega Garchomp's aerodynamic body changed so that its blade arms could become HUGE.

Welp there was a theory that our esper slug magical knigth psychic powers came from its horn and tgats why they where prominent toriygh his evo. His horn moving to his arm is regarded as some fridge briliance in nico nico at the moment.

Gallade has actual bulk, at least on the special side (68/125)

It also gets Will-O-Wisp which is REALLY ANNOYING.

And Knock Off which is ALSO REALLY ANNOYING.

And Close Combat, which, compared to High Jump Kick, is NOT SO ANNOYING (FOR YOU.)

And Swords Dance, which will close the gap in power.
Another cool thing Mega Gallade can do is switching in on a Knock Off. It'll do neutral, unboosted damage while putting Gallade at +1 (thanks to having Justified) before Mega Evolving. :)

Then, depending on what used Knock Off, it can SD on the switch and be at +3, or just throw out a +1 Close Combat.

Well, I guess I'd better give my two cents on each M-Evo in just a few sentences.

Camerupt: Well, I don't know how you do it, GF...but you have managed to make Camerupt cute, and this isn't a joke. Sheer Force is an OK ability, and it looks like it could be a good Mixed TR 'mon.

Sharpedo: I actually had to look at this a few times to fully appreciate it. The saw-billed look is actually very nice (those yellow stripes, though...), and Strong Jaw is, again, an OK ability. Hopefully it will work out for the new M-Evo.

Gallade: I love this thing already. Maybe it is me just liking elegant, suave things...or perhaps it is something else. Anyways, now I guess I know what I'll be aiming for in the trading regard (*cough* shiny Knock Off HA Ralts *cough*).

So, I've gotten really into ubers recently, so I want to discuss the devolutions. What in the world does "Strong Rain" mean? It probably is just an extention, either 8 turns or permanent, but neither of those sound at all intersting.

For one, if it's just an extension, it wouldn't mix at all with devolution as I understand it. Devolving before the rain ends would waste the ability until you switch out and back in, which is utterly worthless. It'd be fine competitively imo, but that would be too much even for Troll Freak.

That said, it is probably just that the "strong rain" replaces regular weather when the devolution occurs, but I still don't see them bringing back perma-weather again after going to that much trouble to get rid of it. It has to be something more interesting than that, like passive damage or a more powerful boost to stats or anything other than perma weather because that was just a toxin to all things good. If you got something that makes sense, I'd love to have some hope.

So, I've gotten really into ubers recently, so I want to discuss the devolutions. What in the world does "Strong Rain" mean? It probably is just an extention, either 8 turns or permanent, but neither of those sound at all intersting.

For one, if it's just an extension, it wouldn't mix at all with devolution as I understand it. Devolving before the rain ends would waste the ability until you switch out and back in, which is utterly worthless. It'd be fine competitively imo, but that would be too much even for Troll Freak.

That said, it is probably just that the "strong rain" replaces regular weather when the devolution occurs, but I still don't see them bringing back perma-weather again after going to that much trouble to get rid of it. It has to be something more interesting than that, like passive damage or a more powerful boost to stats or anything other than perma weather because that was just a toxin to all things good. If you got something that makes sense, I'd love to have some hope.
Well Groudon and Kyogre were the original bringers of the sun and rain, so they may get the special treatment and be granted permanent weather again. Heck, for all we know these could turn into the Fire and Water versions of Sandstorm/Hail, damaging everything but Fire and Water respectively. If that's the case, Chlorophyll and Swift Swim may also protect their wielders from this kind of weather as well as the speed boost, not unlike Sand Veil/Force/Rush.
Wait wait wait. Is Wally's keystone Diantha's Mega Charm?
I don't think so, as hers was more of a small necklace than what Wally has around his neck. Might still be referred to as a Mega Charm though that his sister gives him or something.

The only reason perma-weather was a problem was Rain teams just had too many good toys. In Ubers, these things are more outclassed by many powerful Pokémon and there is the great titan known as Rayquaza to balance things out. Since I doubt these ancient giants will ever leave Ubers, perma-rain and sun isn't to bad in this case.

Camerupt: Well, I don't know how you do it, GF...but you have managed to make Camerupt cute, and this isn't a joke. Sheer Force is an OK ability, and it looks like it could be a good Mixed TR 'mon.
1) I thought Camerupt was already cute.
2) I've seen "TR" too many times on this and I actually have no clue to what it means. Then I realized it means Trick Room. Wow, I'm slow.

I feel like elaborating on my feelings about Mega Camerupt, since it is my favorite of the three newly revealed Megas.
I love the design. Like I said, I already thought Camerupt was cute, but they definitely improved the design.
The reveal of the drop in Speed but everything else goes up excites me since that means we will have at least a 110+ to everything else. Sheer Force is an interesting ability and it could run a great Special/Mixed set even with the stats it has. I can't wait for it.
Also, two of my favorite Hoenn Pokémon that weren't the strongest are getting Megas now!!! (The other is Altaria).

Well Groudon and Kyogre were the original bringers of the sun and rain, so they may get the special treatment and be granted permanent weather again. Heck, for all we know these could turn into the Fire and Water versions of Sandstorm/Hail, damaging everything but Fire and Water respectively. If that's the case, Chlorophyll and Swift Swim may also protect their wielders from this kind of weather as well as the speed boost, not unlike Sand Veil/Force/Rush.

I don't think so, as hers was more of a small necklace than what Wally has around his neck. Might still be referred to as a Mega Charm though that his sister gives him or something.
I'd like to embellish on this.
chances are, the whole reason they created primal devolution was to make permanent weather an exclusive ability to Groudon and Kyogre again. I could probably understand GameFreak wanting to nerf weather to begin with after seeing how the other non-legendary Pokemon with weather abilities were the main forerunners in gen5 competitions. By making it less of a big deal outside of the weather legends, generating weather sort of becomes their own unique trait again.

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of super-buffed permanent sun/rain with even more effects than Drought/Drizzle, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The most I'm really expecting is access to permanent weather, since it's an understandable need-to-have for the two Pokemon that made it a thing. Any other effects are just nice-to-haves.

NORM'S TYPE: Psychic/Fighting
NORM'S ABILITY: Steadfast//Justified
NORM'S STATS: 68/125/65/65/115/80//518
OPINION:
I'll talk about Wally soon enough, but first Mega Gallade. I'm not too sure about the design. Whenever I see a line separating two white parts it makes me think that someone forgot to color something in. Also its arm blade getting those red parts sort of looks out of place. The cape/wings also throw me a bit off, like they added it just so they have the "guardian angel" motif for Wally.
I found the cape to be a nice touch to incorporating Kirilia's skirt, I actually adore this aspect of MGallade. As for the red parts of the blade they are the heart shaped object embedded in Gardevoir/Gallade's chest (and respectively on Ralts/Kirilia's head), so I don't agree them to be foreign to his design. Where MGard makes it expand you have MGallade using it as part of his blades. It actually fits rather nicely in tying in the elements of Gallade and its evo IMO.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Serebii said:
"The next batch of CoroCoro information has been posted to Japanese forums and this batch showcases more information about the upcoming game Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. This continues on from yesterday's information and reveals Primal Kyogre's new move, Origin Wave. Rayquaza is also said to hold a secret to Mega Evolution. It also states about the demo version of the game. You will see a Mega Evolution for the first time in this demo, and you can then transfer it, as well as items you collect, over to the main games when they are released. It is also hinted that, if you play the demo every day, something special will happen."
Origin Wave huh? Also I guess the Secret to Mega Evolution with Rayquaza could mean Primal Rayquaza? idk.

EDIT: More updates but still...

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Lol, there's a Team Aqua member making heart eyes toward Shelly, there's a female grunt looking at him oddly, I think there's a guy who's suppose to be looking right at her rump, and all the way in the back there's a guy who fell over.

Actually looking at the teams the Team Aqua one have more "character" in it, the grunts are almost in different poses from one another and there's bits of humor thrown in. Meanwhile, Team Magma has its grunts pretty much copied and paste, sort of showing them being more regimented. It's a quite interesting contrast for them to slip in, and if I recall its sort of the opposite the way the Special Manga showed them as. In the Manga I think they showed it was Team Aqua who were sort of regimented and in control while Team Magma were essentially a rag tag team.

As for the new information, I'm going to make another post in addition to responding to some comments right after this.

Hey I mean, mega gallade might get bulkier and if he somehow gets paralyzed, he won't get flinched to death by togekiss since he will take a couple of air slashes if need be. Thats cool I guess.

I'll live with it, not every mega has to be God. :)

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man, Game Freak better give Mega Gallade 110 Speed and 165 Attack or something like that if they're gonna pull an Inner Focus on us. >_>

*Edit

I totally called it.

Last edited:
You guys may notice Wally does indeed have a slight costume change; He has his grey petticoat buttoned up early on, but by the time he's MEvoing his Gallade, he's got it unbuttoned and flying open, I suppose in some sort of manner to show that he doesn't need to worry about himself as much.

eau de plot develepemante

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

"Strong Rain"? Well it sounds like a heavy rainstorm.
But if they did that they also get rid of Kyogre's and Groudon's Ability to create rain unless the new Ability also does that plus what you recommend (which CoroCoro said it did). And all GameFreak did was just made it so that Drizzle and Drought lasted 5 turns, not much trouble there.
But sadly I don't have anything that makes sense out of all this, we'll probably have to wait until the game is released.

I'd like to embellish on this.
chances are, the whole reason they created primal devolution was to make permanent weather an exclusive ability to Groudon and Kyogre again. I could probably understand GameFreak wanting to nerf weather to begin with after seeing how the other non-legendary Pokemon with weather abilities were the main forerunners in gen5 competitions. By making it less of a big deal outside of the weather legends, generating weather sort of becomes their own unique trait again.

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of super-buffed permanent sun/rain with even more effects than Drought/Drizzle, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The most I'm really expecting is access to permanent weather, since it's an understandable need-to-have for the two Pokemon that made it a thing. Any other effects are just nice-to-haves.
If its perma-weather I doubt it gets anything extra, but then again if Rayquaza is getting a Mega Evolution its Ability would need a boost too and if they do that I guess its possible that the Abilities getting something extra, like Hail/Sandstorm residual damage as Detective Barricade suggested.

And sorry, but with all the new info I'm going to have to put my thoughts in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)