ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't seen any Pokemon with 2 new Mega forms yet. Might be a little bit of a stretch but if Rayquaza "holds the secret" to Mega evolution, perhaps that just means it will be getting a Mega Rayquaza and a Primal Rayquaza? It also could just make is a bigger plot point for whatever Steven is doing. But if any given Mega has really let you down so far you could maybe cross your fingers that we'll find out in a month or two that we were actually shown Mega Metagross Omega and there is also a Mega Metagross Alpha or something.

BTW, not really big news but there's some "officially stated" info on that big scan that Serebii didn't give in its translation. Origin Wave is a Water Type attack... lol. Kind of interesting since the scan doesn't give the Type of Cliff Blade (although the SE sound on Blazekin would pretty much mean it's Ground Type still)

Tell that to Mega Gallade! At least RU will probably have a new toy come ORAS.
>Mega Gallade
>>>RU

Come on, it'll be UU at the least. The scans indicate it's a 'frail sweeper', which gives hope that it will be less bulky and have a lot more speed and attack. I really can't see any way in which it'd become RU material.
Also this is still pretty much the physical counterpart to Mega Gardevoir. Mega Gardevoir's ability is only good for getting her a 117 Base Power STAB move, and Gallade... has a 120 Base Power STAB move already. So technically, Mega Gallade's ability, while obviously shit, is actually more useful than that of one of OU's best wallbreakers right now.

>Mega Gallade
>>>RU

Come on, it'll be UU at the least. The scans indicate it's a 'frail sweeper', which gives hope that it will be less bulky and have a lot more speed and attack. I really can't see any way in which it'd become RU material.
Also this is still pretty much the physical counterpart to Mega Gardevoir. Mega Gardevoir's ability is only good for getting her a 117 Base Power STAB move, and Gallade... has a 120 Base Power STAB move already. So technically, Mega Gallade's ability, while obviously shit, is actually more useful than that of one of OU's best wallbreakers right now.
That's not quite true. Pixilate gives STAB as well as a 30% boost to power, so Hyper Voice on Mega Gardevoir actually has a Base Power of 175.5.

Also, both EonX and atomicllamas have said that Mega Gallade will be useable for a week or so in RU to see how they go.

That's not quite true. Pixilate gives STAB as well as a 30% boost to power, so Hyper Voice on Mega Gardevoir actually has a Base Power of 175.5.

Also, both EonX and atomicllamas have said that Mega Gallade will be useable for a week or so in RU to see how they go.
I wasn't counting STAB. If I was, I would have said Close Combat was 180 Base Power. The same point gets across; Mega Gallade, if it gets sizeable attack and speed boosts, will not necessarily need a fantastic ability to be good. That said it would have been good to have a much better ability.

By that reasoning math tells us that Mega Gallade's base 120 move is actually a base 180 move.
180 > 175.5
So not really sure what the point there was. But I agree with Kurona, you're trying to find new ways to whine about Inner Focus if you really think Mega Gallade will be below UU.
EDIT: damn ninja'd

Pixilate does at least give Gardevoir a move approaching 120 bp, one that only has positive effects, so it does have that. If you want to go the more trolly/bad route, Pixilate also gives Mega Gardevoir one of the strongest unboosted Hyper Beams in the game, so there's that.

It may just be that they're trying to keep a theme where Gardevoir and Gallade are roughly equivalent, yin and yang, and Inner Focus is just important enough to not be detrimental to this, and not strong enough to put him distinctly ahead of her. I don't know.

there's nothing wrong with inner focus, it's just kind of stupid because he already has an ability that triggers off of flinching. Could have gave him hyper cutter atleast with the amount of intimidate running around in vgc

Aside from the discussion about Mega Gallade (who would be a good Mega Kanga check in VGC), I think Kyogre's new move Origin Wave will be an upgraded (120 BP maybe?) version of Surf. What do you guys think?

Aside from the discussion about Mega Gallade (who would be a good Mega Kanga check in VGC), I think Kyogre's new move Origin Wave will be an upgraded (120 BP maybe?) version of Surf. What do you guys think?
I do kind of have to ride the Water Psyshock train; it does seem a little too obvious. It doesn't look like Surf at all to me.

Mega aggron, ampharos and aero are all great tanks/walls in UU. Aggron can run a curse set with heavy slam/d tail/curse/rest. Phys def mega amphy w/resttalk and bulky mega aero were great checks to fire spam and still are.

As for OU, you have mega venusaur with thick fat, defensive zard X.

While most of the megas seem offensive at first, they can be played defensively if you find the right set. Other megas are offensive no matter how you try (kanga, banette, aboma) although aboma COULD run a subseed set, but thats pretty meh lol
Yeah I'm aware of that. The main argument is that most megas are built more for offense, but even if GF created a defensive mega they still face stiff competition from normal pokemon who can get away with items. I know how great TF venu is and he has all the right stuff to work well as a bulky offense pokemon; just some of the new megas might not.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
gabriel, are you seriously implying shell armor mega slowbro is bad? lol....

you keep it not-mega'd until you're ready to start sweeping so you keep regenerator. when you're ready you use iron defense + calm mind + rest (or amnesia + curse + rest, i guess) to basically make an unbreakable tank. seriously, assuming it gets even small boosts to its defenses its going to be pretty hard to break without being able to crit it lol

anyway i'm hyped about mega sharpedo, even if it only gets a couple moves that strong jaw boosts. assuming it gets a small increase in bulk and a big increase in attack, you could keep it un-mega'd until you're at +1/+2, then mega and start raping with a strong as fuck crunch. ice fang is actually ok coverage as it hits virizion/chesnaught.

mega camerupt is going to need a Big increase in bulk to even be viable in UU. it has really cool typing, but camel's defenses are actually lower than azelf's and its not that strong.

mega gallade is kinda obviously gonna be good. probably a really good uu mon cause ou has megacham already :o

Here's my opinion about Mega Gallade and Inner Focus: Ok. Seriously, the way most of you are acting make it seem like it got Slow Start or Klutz. Is it a great ability? No. But it is an okay ability.

Mega Gallade gets Inner Focus? Okay... Would have predicted Hyper Cutter, but whatever. I don't think anything but the Primals are getting brand new moves or abilities that didn't exist in X/Y. But now I wonder if we'll get the Galladite from Wally, either just after defeating him the first time in Victory Road or after a rematch? Either way, I can't wait to use these new Mega Evolutions in game! Also happy to see Rayquaza hasn't been forgotten, and is at least getting something to keep it on equal footing with the other two in its trio.

Been staring at this the last 10 minutes trying to work out where it is. It's one of the screenshots from the ORAS Demo advertised in Corocoro; but I can't quite seem to match it up with anywhere in Hoenn...
this too

Been staring at this the last 10 minutes trying to work out where it is. It's one of the screenshots from the ORAS Demo advertised in Corocoro; but I can't quite seem to match it up with anywhere in Hoenn...
this too
Hmm, there's some water to the right, a scientist in front of a green building with special glass doors, and Steven. The Mossdeep Space Center perhaps? Can't quite make out the second image though.

gabriel, are you seriously implying shell armor mega slowbro is bad? lol....
I most certainly am, especially in comparison with Regenerator. If Mega Slowbro had kept it, it would've been able to keep doing what Slowbro does and be much better at that: pivoting, spreading status, slowly doing damage while keeping healthy. Mega Slowbro would've been bulkier, hit harder with Scald and coverage moves and wouldn't be hampered by Knock Off. An excellent trade-off for what, leftovers or bulky helmet?

Shell Armor is situational and requires a set-up move in order to be useful. This is nice in a way because it encourages mega Slowbro to try different sets, but we just missed what could've turned out to be a heck of a wall.

On the other hand, Inner Focus on mega Gallade is almost useless. I think we're forgetting that Gallade has almost no physical bulk and it's outsped by the most prominent Fake Out users in its base form (Ambipom, mega Loppuny and Mega kangaskhan - even if Khan mega evolves the same turn as Gallade, it's still faster unless it's Adamant and Gallade is Jolly). This means no one will be trying to Fake it Out, more often than not, they'll be outright OHKOing with powerful returns before mega Gallade even moves. The only usefulness I see in Inner Focus is preventing the eventual Rock Slide flinch, which could be particularly neat in doubles, but it's still such a big disappointment. At least mega Slowbro's ability allows it to eventually turn into an unstoppable sweeper. Inner Focus protects mega Gallade from eventual Rock Slide hax. Cool.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^^^That first one looks a bit like the outside of Petalburg Gym. The Gym has a pond to its right, and hedges to the left. As evident by the large Hoenn map released a week back, the Gyms have their own, unique architecture again (and I'm hoping for unique music too, like in BW2).

The second one is Mossdeep Space Centre. It's a screenshot from the latest trailer.

I most certainly am, especially in comparison with Regenerator. If Mega Slowbro had kept it, it would've been able to keep doing what Slowbro does and be much better at that: pivoting, spreading status, slowly doing damage while keeping healthy. Mega Slowbro would've been bulkier, hit harder with Scald and coverage moves and wouldn't be hampered by Knock Off. An excellent trade-off for what, leftovers or bulky helmet?

Shell Armor is situational and requires a set-up move in order to be useful. This is nice in a way because it encourages mega Slowbro to try different sets, but we just missed what could've turned out to be a heck of a wall.

On the other hand, Inner Focus on mega Gallade is almost useless. I think we're forgetting that Gallade has almost no physical bulk and it's outsped by the most prominent Fake Out users in its base form (Ambipom, mega Loppuny and Mega kangaskhan). This means no one will be trying to Fake it Out, more often than not, they'll be outright OHKOing with powerful returns before mega Gallade even moves. The only usefulness I see in Inner Focus is preventing the eventual Rock Slide flinch, which could be particularly neat in doubles, but it's still such a big disappointment. At least mega Slowbro's ability allows it to eventually turn into an unstoppable sweeper. Inner Focus protects mega Gallade from eventual Rock Slide hax. Cool.
This is funny because no-one's saying you have to mega slowbro, lol. It's still incredibly good, it's mega is just another option for it that allows it to pull off crocune and be even more versatile and unpredictable.
Thanks to it's movepool and probable stat upgrades Gallade won't really need that good of an ability so tbh inner focus doesn't matter tho it would have been nicer to get something better; adaptability for sadism plz. You at least avoid fake out flinches from mienshao and whatever else uses it

Hmm, there's some water to the right, a scientist in front of a green building with special glass doors, and Steven. The Mossdeep Space Center perhaps? Can't quite make out the second image though.
See that was my first thought too, but it seems a little small compared to RSE and the recent trailer.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking that Cliff's Edge and Origin Wave will be 100 BP moves of their respective type, along with some added effect (ability to hit flying-types for Cliff and Psystrike effect for Wave?)

The kicker? Sea of beginnings and Land of endings will be variants of the -ate abilities for water and ground moves, as well as perma-weather.

EDIT: Theory on Rayquaza's role. The original hallmark of Groudon and Kyogre was the ability to summon permanent weather, and included in Rayquaza's ability to quell the two was the ability to stop the weather.

Maybe Rayquaza is able to prevent/ignore the boosts granted by their primal reversion? It's a stretch but it would fit.

Last edited:
The thing with the scarcity of defensive Megas is that, so far, we have not had a Mega of a wall. The closest things we've had are tanks (Almost all Megas have a lot of offensive presence, even the most defensive ones) and clerics (Mega Audino's ability), but not actual walls

If you really wanted an immunity to Flinches then why not Shield Dust? Doesn't make sense flavor-wise? Make it a clone. They have showed new abilities so they could have given MeGallade something it could use instead of something so situational.

Yesterday Serebii said:

" In this image, from the magazine Weekly Shonen Sunday, it confirms that, in next month's issue of CoroCoro, due out on October 15th, a special serial code will be given. This Serial Code offers you a trial version of Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire which appears to have you pick between Grovyle, Combusken & Marshtomp and ends with the obtaining of a Mega Evolution. We'll bring more on this as it comes."

Today he posted:
" It also states clarifications about the demo version of the game. You will see a Mega Evolution for the first time in this demo, and you can then transfer it, as well as items you collect, over to the main games when they are released."

So we know we'll get the starter's mega stone during the storyline and the demo is likely to reflect some part of it. We'll be playing with the starters and will be able to mega evolve a pokémon (probably the starter we got). One of the mega evolutions has never been seen before... is it just me or does anyone else smell Blaziken getting a second mega evolution? It won't be the first we time have been introduced to a trio of mega starters and seen the fire starter get a bonus treatment close to release... I'd like it anyway, so all the Hoenn starters will have new forms for the remakes, and it will be even better if it gets a different second typing along with more specially offensive stats.

On the other hand, there are also pictures of Slakoth, Linoone, Loudred and Nosepass on the same page. Given that those pictures can be carrying hidden messages (like the Slowbro randomly featured in a contest picture Kurona spotted last month days before mega Slowbro's leak), I'd say they're also possible candidates. But my money's on Blaziken. Just how are they going to name it?! Are we going to find out we've been playing with Mega Blaziken Alpha/Omega all along?

Hopefully that 2 forms for only one of the starters thing is restricted to Charizard... I love Charizard a lot but it still wasn't very cool or fair of them.

If they're gonna keep treating one starter better than the others then I'd appreciate it if they didn't always do it to the Fire Starter too. Maybe a mega Sceptile that's pure Plant Type? The pattern could be that each set of starters get megas with the same typing and one also gets to be a Dragon with it's extra mega, lol. But my honest hope would be that the never before seen mega evolution is just a mega for something with out a mega. And obviously something in the Hoenn Dex and thus the demo.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
The thing I will enjoy about Mega Gallade the most is its ability to Taunt through Fake Out in VGC. A lot of Trick Room builds rely on a Fake Out + Trick Room turn 1, so Gallade could very well be a filler mon on a VGC team built around other Speed control methods that hate Trick Room. The only mon with the ability to do this so far is Crobat, so having another, potentially much better option over it will be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)