Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Frankly, I don't know how Backspace Rogue manages to beat its own draws most of the time and yet somehow it does. *shrug*

I honestly don't like Mukla in anything but Paladin Aggro. Most of the time he just happens to be a minor tempo gain if you get him on on Turn 2/3 and he gets increasingly risky and weak shortly thereafter because those bananas tend to come back and bite you in the ass.

Started a few weeks ago: add me jamiebenn14 #1698

I need actual arena strats because i can never get past 7 wins -_- (usually land at around 4-6).

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lol so I havent done Heroic Kelthuzad yet so I'm playing against him with an Inner Fire Priest deck, doing really well and I get his armor down to one (I have a demolisher on my board). Right after I hit end turn, AFTER mind you, he does his whole "its my turn NOW" thing and then summons his 5/5s and then my demolisher activates and hits his face, breaks his last armor and then we both explode... Like in a ranked game when both players disconnect.

Guess I found a bug?

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
I had the same thing happen to me, minus exploding and losing. Had him at 1 Armor, Rag to activate end-of-turn to break it and I'm not sure if it was right as I hit End Turn or as I hovered over the button to do so, he did the whole MY TURN NOW thing and everything was kinda weird.

Definitely weird behavior, that's all I can say.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
went from rank 5 to legend in less than a day...hunter is some gay shit ( I dont even feel dirty). Got lethal in the last game with King Krush from Webspinner which is probably the best thing ever

Standard face hunter bs:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
At five stars Rank 1 thrice in a fucking row, then RNGed to fuck every single time. Lose thrice to Miracle Rogue VanCleef all-ins I have no equality or Aldor for. This time I've lost seven in a row to complete garbage like Sludge Belcher Huntard and godhand Priest to drop back down to mid Rank 2. Good times. Hearthstone is a true test of skill.

ugh I can't fucking help it I just need to vent, and some shit to fucking destroy like those charity events where you get to bash cars and shit

Edit: ALRIGHT NOW THAT I HAVE FINALLY DONE IT.

Kel'thuzad in a taunt deck is fucking dirty, dear god. Sludge Belcher is impossible to break, you damn well need something to get at KT behind taunts like SW:D or Equality combos.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
LOOK DAT SHIT UP

He revives all your shit at the end of the turn if it died. If he's behind taunts, well, you have to get through them to kill him... and if you don't, he just revives all the taunts in front of him protecting both himself and your face. So you pretty much either need a ridiculous board presence to break it or a silence/kill spell that can get at him through the taunts. Shaman Reincarnate is pretty cute with him too if you can swing it, gives you double KT since the revived KT brings back the original you "killed." ;[

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just started playing this game today. What do people think is the best class for beginners? My friends tend to recommend mage, paladin, and rogue.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
By best class do you mean easiest to learn the fundamentals with or easiest to do well with competitively (although that won't be possible for a while with your inevitably limited card collection...)

Mage is an obvious choice because of the tutorial, and it has relatively simple mechanics, but honestly I wouldn't say there is any class which is an outright best for beginners. Just go find something you enjoy playing and learn how to play it! You'll probably need to be able to play most classes to a decent level anyway if you want to quickly expand your collection, as is the nature of Arena.

Mage is probably the best class for the fundamentals of board control, trading, area of effect, and everything, and it's also nice because the majority of its good cards are basic so you don't need to craft them. But you're going to open a bunch of packs in the first few days, and from there you can see what class you have the most cards for and may want to try. Of course, if you don't like that class, then you can play something else. You probably don't want to disenchant anything until you have enough to make a whole deck that you want, since that plan could change while you're in the middle of crafting it, and then you would have wasted dust or cards.

What you want to do as a beginner after the tutorial:
  • Unlock all of the classes in practice mode
  • Beat all of the expert AI
  • Get all classes to level 10
  • Do the first quests that it gives you that are like "play a game in ranked" or "win 3 games" or whatever
  • Always play arena instead of buying packs. Even though it costs 50 gold more, it'll make you better and it's easy to earn your money back with arena. Depending on how well you do, you get a certain amount of rewards after your arena. You'll always get at least a pack and a bit of gold. If you get 3 wins, you'll get at least the 50 gold back, and if you get 7 wins, you'll get all 150.
  • Play through Naxxramas and unlock all of those cards. If you're not aggressively Free to Play like me, then this is the most efficient place to spend money in game, since you get the best exchange rate with respect to gold. If you do want to get it with gold only, then I would probably wait until you can consistently get at least 3 wins in arena, because the cards are useless if you can't play them well, and arena will get you other (not guaranteed) cards
And after a bit of time you'll get into a cycle of play quests and stuff in ranked mode so that you can earn gold to play arena so that you can get better cards to win more in ranked so that you can get gold more quickly for arena and so on.

Some fairly cheap decks to think about making at some point, since you'll be interested in playing more than one class:

Zoo Warlock: This is just based around flooding the board with cheap, efficient minions to control the board and overwhelm your opponent quickly. You'll get good at how to trade and position your minions. If you've played MTG you'll be familiar with the idea. You can look up decklists, they all vary a bit, but they have a core group of minions. The preferred list will also probably change by the time you make this. But the deck itself is always good and relevant.

Midrange Hunter: This is the cancer sweeping the ladder, but it's also probably the best deck at the moment, and it's very cheap. Decklists also change from person to person, and Blizzard may nerf the class a bit, so I'm not gonna give you one specifically to make, especially since I don't like to play this class/deck. But you can look it up.

Additional resources:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1ua5c9/hearthstone_for_beginners_guide_and_resource/
This basically says what I just told you, but it also has other helpful links.

http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc
Trump is probably the best streamer to watch when you're trying to get better because he explains every turn and is also a fun, relaxed guy in general.

You can also add me and ask me about anything if we're both online at the same time, my battletag is LonelyLink#1633.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mage is probably the best class for the fundamentals of board control, trading, area of effect, and everything, and it's also nice because the majority of its good cards are basic so you don't need to craft them. But you're going to open a bunch of packs in the first few days, and from there you can see what class you have the most cards for and may want to try. Of course, if you don't like that class, then you can play something else. You probably don't want to disenchant anything until you have enough to make a whole deck that you want, since that plan could change while you're in the middle of crafting it, and then you would have wasted dust or cards.

What you want to do as a beginner after the tutorial:
  • Unlock all of the classes in practice mode
  • Beat all of the expert AI
  • Get all classes to level 10
  • Do the first quests that it gives you that are like "play a game in ranked" or "win 3 games" or whatever
  • Always play arena instead of buying packs. Even though it costs 50 gold more, it'll make you better and it's easy to earn your money back with arena. Depending on how well you do, you get a certain amount of rewards after your arena. You'll always get at least a pack and a bit of gold. If you get 3 wins, you'll get at least the 50 gold back, and if you get 7 wins, you'll get all 150.
  • Play through Naxxramas and unlock all of those cards. If you're not aggressively Free to Play like me, then this is the most efficient place to spend money in game, since you get the best exchange rate with respect to gold. If you do want to get it with gold only, then I would probably wait until you can consistently get at least 3 wins in arena, because the cards are useless if you can't play them well, and arena will get you other (not guaranteed) cards
And after a bit of time you'll get into a cycle of play quests and stuff in ranked mode so that you can earn gold to play arena so that you can get better cards to win more in ranked so that you can get gold more quickly for arena and so on.

Some fairly cheap decks to think about making at some point, since you'll be interested in playing more than one class:

Zoo Warlock: This is just based around flooding the board with cheap, efficient minions to control the board and overwhelm your opponent quickly. You'll get good at how to trade and position your minions. If you've played MTG you'll be familiar with the idea. You can look up decklists, they all vary a bit, but they have a core group of minions. The preferred list will also probably change by the time you make this. But the deck itself is always good and relevant.

Midrange Hunter: This is the cancer sweeping the ladder, but it's also probably the best deck at the moment, and it's very cheap. Decklists also change from person to person, and Blizzard may nerf the class a bit, so I'm not gonna give you one specifically to make, especially since I don't like to play this class/deck. But you can look it up.

Additional resources:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1ua5c9/hearthstone_for_beginners_guide_and_resource/
This basically says what I just told you, but it also has other helpful links.

http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc
Trump is probably the best streamer to watch when you're trying to get better because he explains every turn and is also a fun, relaxed guy in general.

You can also add me and ask me about anything if we're both online at the same time, my battletag is LonelyLink#1633.
Thank you very much sir.

I dunno if I recommend arena over pack buying initially for a newer player, sure you get access to all random cards to play with, but without decent deck making knowledge or which cards are the best bang for the buck, it won't be efficient at all just to lose 3 straight. I'd say get more comfortable with the game and buying packs until you feel comfortable enough for arena. Though granted the first arena is free, so may as well try it at least.

I dunno if I recommend arena over pack buying initially for a newer player, sure you get access to all random cards to play with, but without decent deck making knowledge or which cards are the best bang for the buck, it won't be efficient at all just to lose 3 straight. I'd say get more comfortable with the game and buying packs until you feel comfortable enough for arena. Though granted the first arena is free, so may as well try it at least.
Well, I'd argue that at the beginning it's more important to learn the game than to build up a collection or be efficient with your gold, and arena is great for that. Up to the person, of course.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Sad times when you can't even participate in the last qualifier because the next round, were I to advance, is on a weeknight. lol 2nd shift work :(

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know what works in this metagame anymore so here's the deck I've been running:

I'm pretty sure it's akin to Firebat's rogue but I think he runs Malygos instead.

:o

Yeah, he doesn't play Hearthstone professionally but still.

:o

It's Mage but I honestly didn't think the deck was that good (4 drop on the curve is flooded, basically do nothing turn 3, no late game bombs). This is my third Arena this week after not playing Arena at all for the past 2 months or so.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
but guys we're getting a buzzard and leeroy nerf so maybe the metagame won't be so terrible anymore!

Wha, Leeroy nerf? Where? After I spent all that time getting one I'll only have enjoyed it in its current form for a month? :(

Unless its just upping the cost by 1 or so, that wouldn't be too horrible waiting an extra turn for rogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)