ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to harp on that, but I just can't agree with people trying to sugar-coat mega Gallade's ability (this annoys me even more since it's a mega with such a great design). We're talking about megas and they're expected to have good to insane abilities. Even the ones with not so good abilities have much better abilities than mega Gallade.

Solar Power is situational and has recoil damage, but it can make mega Houndoom even scarier.
Shell Armor is also situational, but in the right hands, it can turn mega Slowbro into an unstoppable sweeper.
Healer makes Audino, a pokémon with great support movepool for doubles, even better at that in its mega form.

Inner Focus is a below average defensive ability on an offensive pokémon with low physical bulk that protects against hax from mostly physical moves (Fake Out, Rock Slide, Iron Head, elemental fangs, Icicle Crash, Zen Headbut on the physical side as opposed to Extrasensory and Dark Pulse on the special side - I'm just consdering the competitive viable moves). I'm not saying it's useless, just far from good and a real letdown on a mega pokémon. There's a reason why after the introduction of hidden abilities everything stopped running Inner Focus. Sadly, mega Gallade doesn't have a choice. Game Freak really screwed up this time :(

Game Freak get way too much shit. This rubbish about Mega Gallade which comes up every month after Coro Coro leaks is the same.

It's a little disappointing to hear that Mega Gallade gets Inner Focus of all things, there were so many other potentially awesome abilities to give an offensive pokemon (that still made sense from a flavor standpoint).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, we got Mega Medicham & Mega Gallade, Mega Gyarados & Mega Sharpedo, Mega Latias & Mega Latios, and Mega Camerupt and Primal Groudon, looks like they've stopped caring about each individual mega :(
All but one of those pairing are acceptable in my opinion

Mega Medicham & Mega Gallade: Mega Medicham was released alongside Mega Gardevoir and it's only natural that Gardevoir's counterpart would get a Mega Evo sooner or later, especially when in the Hoenn games there's a character who uses the Ralts family as their signature Pokemon.
Mega Latias & Mega Latios: It just wouldn't make sense to give one a Mega Evo (though I did like the rumor of one being turned to a Dragon/Fairy).
Mega Camerupt & Primal Groudon: Camerupt is Maxie's signature Pokemon and Groudon is a legendary mascot who represents expanding, sunshine, and is often linked with volcanoes so gaining the Fire-type makes sense.

However I will say Mega Gyarados should have been Water/Dragon. I sort of get why its Water/Dark, but I would have first made one that was Water/Dragon.

man you're not satisfied with anything are you
No, I kinda agree with him.

Someone listed the Megas by types earlier in the thread and some types are WAY under-represented in the Mevo-Lottery while others with dual types especially have been overdone. Psychic/Fighting? We have 3 of them now! And while Gallade is one of my personal favorites, I would still love to see some more Ice and Poison types get some Mega Love before anything else at this time.

No, I kinda agree with him.

Someone listed the Megas by types earlier in the thread and some types are WAY under-represented in the Mevo-Lottery while others with dual types especially have been overdone. Psychic/Fighting? We have 3 of them now! And while Gallade is one of my personal favorites, I would still love to see some more Ice and Poison types get some Mega Love before anything else at this time.
At least Ice as a primary type has been represented by Abomasnow, Poison only has representation as a sub-type. :(

Also, one thing I saw from the Coro Coro scans was what looked like a pokemon select screen with the mid evolutions of the Hoenn starters similar to when you choose a starter.

What's this about? Is it related to the demo?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well if we're lucky they could release a Mega Seviper and Mega Zangoose (would make for great version exclusives as well).

And if they make a Gen IV remake then we could get a Mega Crobat since Crobat is Cyrus's signature Pokemon (for some reason...)

Scratch that, Honchkrow was Cyrus's signature Pokemon which makes much more sense. With that said, I think a lot of people would like a Mega Crobat.

Also, one thing I saw from the Coro Coro scans was what looked like a pokemon select screen with the mid evolutions of the Hoenn starters similar to when you choose a starter.

What's this about? Is it related to the demo?
I think so, in the demo you're going to use on the mid stage Hoenn starter.

EDIT:
BTW, being that my "review" posts were so popular, here were my other thoughts on Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire when I was posting them on another forum (TV.com's Pokemon forum).

Last edited:
Guess Mega Gallade is supposed to be a matador! You'd need a lot of inner focus to not flinch before a charging bull.

Sad that there wasn't an ability upgrade but I'll reserve judgement until I see full stats and movepool.

I am actually liking Mega Gallade's almost purely white colour scheme quite a bit, because it emphasizes the whole "white knight" thing. Which works well in contrast with it's shiny inevitably going to be the black knight, if Mega Gardevoir is anything to go by.
Aegislash the King, Mega Gallade the Knight, Pawniard the Pawn, Bisharp the Bishop... we just need our rook and queen and we're all ready for some good 'ol Chess.
Vespiqueen and probably golurk...we need a tower pokemon, it could be donphan since the tower was the elephant.

Im tired if black megas. Lets go pink ranger mega gallade ir barely noticeable togekiss.

Vespiqueen and probably golurk...we need a tower pokemon, it could be donphan since the tower was the elephant.

Im tired if black megas. Lets go pink ranger mega gallade ir barely noticeable togekiss.
I know that this will sound incredibly shippy, but I'm only going to note it because Gallade and Gardevoir actually do have a clothes theme going for them, but if Gallade's color shiny scheme does match Gardevoir's, then there's going to be a new(?) theme with a sense of legitimacy for shippers and artists who put a shiny Mega Gallade next to a regular Mega Gardevoir. I'm just going to call that now. On the other hand, there probably will be an actual new theme if a shiny Gallade and a shiny Gardevoir are put together, but it probably won't represent such a happy occasion.

Okay, so what Im about to ask is very off topic. Why does it say "fat (someone) said" when someone is quoted? Is it like a abreviation, or what ? LOL
Also, mega gallade looks almost the same on the design,specially for me, who almost never sees gallade anyways, so I didnt see any differences.
Of course there are a lot of differences, but it isnt like Zard to Zard X (Zard Y just gets thinner, lol)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair to Mega Gallade, it might just be that it got a crappy ability because it would have been overpowered otherwise. If the stats are in order, a bad (although non-detrimental) Ability won't stop a Pokémon from being good. Okay, maybe not A-rank OU, but it might have that little something going for it that distinguishes it from the rest of the Megas. There are around forty of them available at the moment, if I'm not mistaken, but only one of them may be used on any team. In a game such as Pokémon, where pretty much every Pokémon can make its stand on the right team, a truly outclassed competitor for that one single spot won't see much use, and the designers know that very well. They might give it a trick up its sleeve - be it stats, or maybe even a couple new moves - to strengthen its bid for the Mega slot on a team.

Anyway, I won't expect Gallade to be bad at any rate. Just, at worst, outperformed. Mega Evolutions are supposed to be strong enough to turn the tide of battles, and they will pretty much sweep the floor with the opponent in any in-game battle. I think it at least will be strong enough to go toe-to-toe with the Elite Four at similar levels and come out on top in most battles. It is supposed to be your one-use super 'mon, so it will probably be good enough to boost a team in its relevant tier. They can't all be top-tier OU, but at some level of play it will kick asses nonetheless.

All right, I let that sit long enough.

My earlier comment:
So, we got Mega Medicham & Mega Gallade, Mega Gyarados & Mega Sharpedo, Mega Latias & Mega Latios, and Mega Camerupt and Primal Groudon, looks like they've stopped caring about each individual mega :(
Was just me complaining about Game Freak not putting enough thought into making each mega as viable as possible. Sharpedo's usage will certainly be poor whenever Gyarados is available, Lati@s was 1 mega for the price of 2, and Medicham was just a lack of forethought.

I did not mean that to suggest that the 3 new megas are not good. I think all of their designs are great (even sharpedo, who gets more heat than I agree with), I think they'll all be fun to use in the battle frontier (or maison :( ), I think Gallade has legitimate potential in competitive circles, and most importantly I think it'll make the final battles with Wally, Archie, and Maxie will be a lot more impressive.

This demo sounds like its sole purpose is to reveal a new Mega, like the DP demo did with Roserade and Kricketot. I'm hyped. But what's this about transferring over what you collect in the demo to your game? I don't get it.

This demo sounds like its sole purpose is to reveal a new Mega, like the DP demo did with Roserade and Kricketot. I'm hyped. But what's this about transferring over what you collect in the demo to your game? I don't get it.
When you get your copy of Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, you can transfer the stuff you collected from the demo version to the actual game. Perhaps extra Sceptilite, Blazikenite, and Swampertite? Or maybe that something really special if you play the demo every day?

Though I admit I'm doubtful if this demo will be available outside of Japan if the serial code used to get it is only in the next issue of CoroCoro.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

My earlier comment:

Was just me complaining about Game Freak not putting enough thought into making each mega as viable as possible. Sharpedo's usage will certainly be poor whenever Gyarados is available, Lati@s was 1 mega for the price of 2, and Medicham was just a lack of forethought.

I did not mean that to suggest that the 3 new megas are not good. I think all of their designs are great (even sharpedo, who gets more heat than I agree with), I think they'll all be fun to use in the battle frontier (or maison :( ), I think Gallade has legitimate potential in competitive circles, and most importantly I think it'll make the final battles with Wally, Archie, and Maxie will be a lot more impressive.
Ahh, now I see what you meant. Well we really can't say anything about the new Megas until we see their stats. Sure they have the same type, but their stats will determine their role:

Mega Medicham & Mega Gallade: Pure Power allows Medicham's Attack to be very high though if it to lose it it'll go down to something which is still good but not outstanding. Mega Gallade could provide a more "stable" attacker with just a normally high attack stat and maybe even being a bit faster.
Mega Gyarados & Mega Sharpedo: Gyarados is more "stable" while Sharpedo would probably be a frail speedy sweeper.
Mega Latias & Mega Latios: If I recall, Latias is meant to be a wall while Latios was meant to be a sweeper.
Mega Camerupt & Primal Groudon: I HIGHLY doubt they'll be in the same tier so that really isn't an issue.

Demo collected items could include an event item or two?
I think it might just be the Mega Stone, maybe the Pokemon that you also used in the demo too.

My earlier comment:

But Game Freak isn't shooting for the usage or viability of one pokemon over another, it's shooting to hit someone's favorite, in a way that does work for that pokemon, without breaking it. At any rate, we're at forty-eight confirmed Mega pokemon already, between XY and ORAS, and that number is still rising. Even this early on, there are going to be pokemon who are similar, and the similarities are just going to keep stacking up as more pokemon become capable of mega evolution. I mean, look at Pidgeot and Fearow, for example. In Red and Green, they performed similar roles, had the same typing, and both evolved from pokemon who could be caught early in the game, and had similar move pools and stats. So why did they both exist? Pokemon, at it's core, isn't about what's better than something else, it's about letting people have variety and being able to choose and play with their favorites.

Anyway...umm, that kind of got away from me, but I'd be surprised if all of the mega pokemon for this generation weren't all finalized together, and just spread out across the games, so I don't think foresight was really required in this regard, and that they knew what they were doing when they made similar megas.

Nobody uses moves that remove abilities and the closest thing you'll get is Cofagrigus's ability. Unless MeGallade's speed is higher than Medichamp it won't be used over it because no matter how much attack it gets it can't compete with Huge Power.

Gallade doesn't even has a good defensive typing like Gardevoir to abuse that awesome special defense.

Nobody uses moves that remove abilities and the closest thing you'll get is Cofagrigus's ability. Unless MeGallade's speed is higher than Medichamp it won't be used over it because no matter how much attack it gets it can't compete with Huge Power.

Gallade doesn't even has a good defensive typing like Gardevoir to abuse that awesome special defense.
Close Comabt > HJK
Swords Dance
way cooler status moves

not reasons it'll be used more often but reason to consider using it instead.

EDIT: I'm assuming same speed as M-Medicam and M-Gardeovir for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)