XY Doubles Stick It to the Man-itan!

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
Hello, everybody! Welcome to my first RMT!

Now, I know what you're probably thinking:
  • lol, some scrub is gonna post his nooby little team probably terracott and sturdy shedninja shenanigans and it isn't even worth rating newb
Well, I assure you, this is at least a semi viable team. I've succeeded against a number of prominent players with this team (including quickscopenoscope, kinda forfeited a little but still) and there aren't any gimmicks.

Also, if you have a team nickname theme suggestion, I want it!

All that this team seeks to do is utilize a powerful, underused Mon. Without further ado:

STICK IT TO THE MAN-ITAN

Overall, the team focuses on A) supporting Darmanitan while he's out as a wall breaker, or B) removing and weakening threats to Darmanitan for a late-game cleanup role.

It's time now that I discuss each team member! Woo!
Without further ado, here's the main Man(itan) himself!

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt

The main man himself, Darmanitan packs quite the wallop with his STAB Flare Blitz. My inspiration for the team (the inspiration for using him came from this post by Laga) has a fairly standard Scarfer set. The special thing I tried to do with him was to make him speed creep anything that Speed creeps 252 neutral nature Choice Scarf Lando-T. That's right, before Scarf, this Manitan hits 283 Speed, enough to outspeed 281 (a neutral nature 252 Lando-T before Scarf) and anything that wants to +4 speed creep it. The other EVs are there for maximum hitting power (duh?) and with just a little bit of bulk. Manitan's defenses are absolutely horrendous, though, so he's weak to priority (especially fudgin' BB) and to spread anything, which is a primary reason for two of the team members that will follow. His moveset is definitely not final, but Flare Blitz sure is! It's a ridiculous STAB that will dent EVERYTHING. U-Turn is there for the switching out potential that every scarfer likes to have, Rock Slide is there to fish for flinches and to take out Char-Y, Talon, and other general stuff. He's weak to all sorts of spread moves, so I needed a decent Wide Guard user who could stop all the Earthquakes and Rock Slides.
SYNERGY
Rotom-W
Aegislash, Terrakion, Bisharp
Rotom-W, Venusaur

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk /
20 Def / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
-
Wide Guard
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword Flash Cannon

Imma be straight with y'all, right off the bat. I have no idea why those EVs are the way they are. I may or may not have just slid the Atk and SpA counters around randomly... but anyways! Aegislash is my mindgame, pure and simple. Darmanitan really appreciates the Wide Guard support that Aegislash brings, and so does everyone else. You may have noticed that I am supremely weak to any sort of Ground move. Well, this is just one way to try and remedy that. King's Shield is standard on any Aegislash, and therefore warrants no explanation. The remaining two moves were for optimal mixed coverage so that Aegi can support as well as attack. Aegislash is ridiculously bulky and ridiculously powerful if played well (but you already know that, of course) and gives invaluable support to the team.
SYNERGY
Rotom-W
Bisharp
Terrakion, Bisharp

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Terrakion is a powerful fighter, capable of checking and countering a ridiculously large number of mons, including the Mega-Kangaskhans, Mega-Charizard-Ys, Talonflames, Heatrans, and Bisharps that litter the tier. His ridiculous Attack coupled with a ridiculously strong STAB in Close Combat along in addition to his neat STAB coverage make Terrakion a threat to be reckoned with. If he and the Manitan are out at the same time, Terrakion can protect it from the ever-present priority with Quick Guard, allowing Manitan to grab clutch KOs (especially against Talonflame) and to just generally stay around longer. He also forms a ridiculously good leading core with the next member of the team, Bisharp. This Terrakion is very standard with very standard EVs, but he does what he does incredibly well.
SYNERGY
Aegislash, Venusaur
Rotom-W
Aegislash, Rotom-W, Darmanitan, Bisharp
Rotom-W, Venusaur
Aegislash, Darmanitan, Bisharp, Venusaur
Aegislash, Bisharp
Aegislash, Darmanitan, Venusaur
(Good heavens, the weaknesses)

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bisharp is almost always a good add to a team. It provides Intimidate control, priority, and a powerful Knock Off, all of which I needed. Along with Terrakion, Bisharp forms the dangerous TerraSharp core, capable of putting severe damage into an opposing team from right off the get-go. You'll find that this Bisharp is not going to use Iron Head very often, but the option is always nice. No, what you'll use most with this set is either Knock Off or Sucker Punch, Bisharp's two phenomenal Dark STAB moves. His Sucker Punch is especially helpful, as it can remove or weaken foes for Darminitan to finish off. Bisharp only gets sweeter when hit by Intimidate, Icy Wind, or another stat-dropper, as it boosts his already above average attack to MONSTRUOUS levels. The numerous resistances also provide Bisharp with decent staying ability, but always beware of Fighting-Types.
SYNERGY
Aegislash, Venusaur
Rotom-W
Rotom-W, Terrakion, Darmanitan​

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP 216 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

This is my standard Venusaur moveset on KyleCole's standard offensive Venusaur. I can't remember exactly what it does, tbh, but it does work! Mega-Saur is an absolute defensive behemoth, and pairs well with Aegislash and Rotom-W, the other parts of my team defense. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are there to capitalize on Mega-Saur's potent Special Attack, and Giga Drain gives her a form of pseudo-recovery that she greatly appreciates. On the other hand, Sleep Powder can single-handedly cause someone to ragequit (thx no sleep clause) and, due to Mega-Saur's great ability to take a hit (due in part to her new ability, haha!) it will get off very, very often. Mega-Saur's role is to resist a large number of attacks that will be aimed at errybody else, and to fight back with Sleep and Sludge. Alternately, if Sun is out, you can outspeed, like, errybody.
SYNERGY
Rotom-W, Terrakion (Weakness negated as Mega-Saur)
Aegislash, Rotom-W, Darmanitan, Bisharp (Weakness negated as Mega-Saur)
Aegislash, Rotom-W, Bisharp
Aegislash, Bisharp

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
252 HP / 40 Def / 84 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

The final member of the team and definitely the most influential one defensively. The little washer has amazing synergy with the rest of the team, as almost every other member resists its one weakness, Grass. In terms of doing stuff, Rotom's main job is to cripple and to dent. Will-O-Wisp is there for the physical dudes, and boy, does it do its job well! Few things can break my Rotom, and it can hit back decently hard with Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt. Rotom-W is an incredibly important member of the team, being my only Ground resist, and the work that it puts in is just irreplaceable. The EV set is (supposedly) just the standard Rotom-W.
SYNERGY
Aegislash, Darmanitan, Bisharp, Venusaur

REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161975156 -vs. quickscopenoscope -gs

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161978189 vs. bernarduo – mono bug?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161980048 vs. BatmanMcginnis – gs

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161983021 vs. Garland Sepia - gs

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161984044 vs. SpaceBass AT 2 – gs – really shows Darmanitan's power.

Shoutout to Laga for the idea!
Shoutout to LzrGunPewPew and Ununhexium just because!

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

THANKS!

Last edited:
Ayyy lmao, getting to this in 2 hours still got ninja'd by pastel ;;

Anyways, it's a fun looking team and all, but remember that you need sun for Darm to OHKO Landorus-T.

For Damanitan, change the EVs to max speed + max attack. There's little reason to invest in bulk for something this frail with many exploitable weaknesses; you'd be better off outspeeding other Darmanitans (lol).

Aegislash can easily forego Sacred Sword for Flash Cannon. Terrakion already offers terrific Fighting coverage on the team, and Flash Cannon gives you another powerful STAB to work with. You also give less shits about Intimidate. 252 HP with 252 Spatk would be preferred now.

Something else not so important is Leaf Storm over Giga Drain on Venusaur. As of now, the rest of your team ('cept Aegi) is quite weak to opposing Rotom-W, and it has a field day burning and OHKOing them. Leaf Storm manages to OHKO all EV variants, and lets M-Venu pose a decent offensive threat, not even having to rely on a SE to hit hard. Hell, 2 Leaf Storms including the drop give 210 BP, while 3 Giga Drains only beat it by a 15 BP margin.

Rotom-W's EVs can be improved, and it isn't exactly standard btw. Try 48 Def and 84 Spatk. 84 EVs are all you need to kill 44 HP Landog and Talonflame with TBolt. The leftover EVs can at least give you some more physical bulk.

Bisharp and Terrakion are great offensive partners, but I'm not sure if they're the best fit for your team. Bisharp compounds the Ground weakness with one of the main stars of the team, and most players can smell the Wide Guard from a mile away (team would die to a mud puddle, no leftovers on Aegislash).

In Bisharp's place you could have Sunny Day Latios. It's a decent partner for Terrakion too, and doesn't make you weak to Intimdate.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Sunny Day
- Protect

With Sun, Landog can now be overcome by Darmanitan, which was one of the main highlights of Darmanitan anyway. Let's you use Chlorosaur on a non-sun team too. HP Fire is also an option over Protect, a la Level 51.

lol, some scrub is gonna post his nooby little team probably terracott
im offended
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161671474
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-161993184

Last edited:

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
Nice team overall, you have some great coverage, which is essential on any team. But I do have some tips to make your team even better.

The first thing is I would put an Assault Vest on Darmanitan. Since his set is all offensive, it'll give him an extra Attack boost to literally sweep anything. Also, you won't be locked in to one move, allowing for a more diverse sweeper. However, this would cut down his speed, and I understand you want to kill everything quickly and easily, so if you go with this, I would switch my speed and attack EV's, so it would be 252 Speed and 228 Attack. Since you'd be getting the boost from the Vest, it won't put you at an disadvantage.

The second thing is your team is extremely vulnerable to ground, since 4 out of your 6 Pokemon, including your main sweeper, are weak to it. Rotom is a decent wall, but when so many of your team members are vulnerable, and Heatram, Tyranitar, and Garchomp, as well as many others being severe threats to your team, I would invest in a better ground wall. I would recommend replacing Bisharp with a physically defensive Azumarill. Not only will it be a more bulky wall against ground, it will also give you fairy coverage that you didn't have before, for fighting and dragons. I'll give you my set for my physical Azumarill, you're more than welcome to keep it or edit it.

Pikablu (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Protect

Since Azumarill is your new wall, I would invest Rotom's EV's into special attack and speed rather than HP.

And that's essentially it! You have the foundation for a really great team, and I hope this helps make your team even better! Good luck, have fun, and happy battling!
I'm afraid Assault Vest doesn't boost Attack, it's Special Defense... unless something jut barely changed or something...

The thing with Bisharp too is that it gives me some Intimidate control, and by changing it to another physical Mon, it'd only perpetuate the weakness...
(love the set though, what does it do?)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm not too sure if I agree with what's being suggested in the two rates above me... Bisharp is vital not only as an Intimidate check but also because of its ability to check TR with Aegislash; without it you'd get run over easily. The Ground weakness is a little bit problematic but not so much so that you have to completely overhaul the team's central core, especially since you have many reliable ways to overcome it.

Now that that's said...

I really love this team! Scarf Darnanitan may need some team support, but you've provided it, and added more tools to give you multiple ways to approach a win even if Darmanitan fails. The team is well thought out and well put together; changing Pokemon at this point would be detrimental because the team members are already very interlocked.

There really isn't much that needs to be said. However, I did notice a slight Rain weakness. Politoed halves the power of Darmanitan's attacks while Rotom-W is easily picked off by Ludicolo and the rest of the team is just overpowered by Swift Swim sweepers. Mega Venusaur is really your only reliable stop, but it too falls after too many hits, or if the Rain team carries and executes a Latios effectively.

My suggestion is this: Replace Sludge Bomb on Venusaur with Sunny Day. This accomplishes multiple things. First off, you gain the ability to completely turn the tables against Rain. Changing the setting so that Terrakion suddenly outspeeds everything enables you to decrease the threat of being out-offensed. Sunny Day also enables you to play in an even more offensive playstyle. You can run pseudo Sun while keeping Venusaur unevolved; Darmanitan can spam Sun boosted Flare Blitzs and ChloroSaur can put any opposing threat (like Heatran) to Sleep. Even if you do evolve Venusaur sometime before in the match, Sunny Day can still be utilized to boost Darmanitan. [I chose to get rid of Sludge Bomb because there are already enough Fairy counters present (Iron Head, Aegislash's Shadow Ball. If you want you can put Flash Cannon on Aegislash, because I feel that Sunny Day on Venusaur helps a lot more than Sacred Sword on Aegislash) Countering Grass-types should be a piece of cake as well, provided suboptimal conditions such as Rain are not up.]

Aside from that, there is literally nothing else I can think of. This is a really nice team--great job!

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
I'm afraid Assault Vest doesn't boost Attack, it's Special Defense... unless something jut barely changed or something...

The thing with Bisharp too is that it gives me some Intimidate control, and by changing it to another physical Mon, it'd only perpetuate the weakness...
(love the set though, what does it do?)
I was under the impression that Assault Vest boosts attack, but it does indeed boost special defense. My bad! So scrap that idea. As far as my Azumarill set, I'm hapy you like it! Here's the description I made for my RMT she's on to explain what she does:
"She's no drummer, but can beat down an opponent... Azumarill is my physical support. I decided to use her as a bulky attacker over a Belly Drummer because Belly Drum is the most common set on Azumarill, and I wanted to throw people off guard. Plus, I not a huge fan on cutting down half of my HP. Aqua Jet is to quickly take out opponents with low enough HP. Waterfall and Play Rough are the main STAB moves, both of which get a large boost from Huge Power, while Protect takes up the last slot. Azumarill makes a good lead, to deal some heavy damage early on, while taking some hard hits like a champ."
I'll admit, this is my first rate I've ever posted. I'm sorry for any of the mistakes, and good luck battling with your awesome team!

Hey so my venu EVs are specifically for hp fire mega venu, sleep powder is good but you can take the 16 def and put it straight into HP since you won't be beating mega Scizor. Also leaf storm > giga drain

You could also consider my patented rotom wash spread
252 hp / 40 def / 84 SAtk / 120 SDef / 12 speed. For a full explanation click the link in my signature ;)

As for the other rates, don't use assault vest or azu, and keep sludge bomb and bisharp

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
I was under the impression that Assault Vest boosts attack, but it does indeed boost special defense. My bad! So scrap that idea. As far as my Azumarill set, I'm hapy you like it! Here's the description I made for my RMT she's on to explain what she does:
"She's no drummer, but can beat down an opponent... Azumarill is my physical support. I decided to use her as a bulky attacker over a Belly Drummer because Belly Drum is the most common set on Azumarill, and I wanted to throw people off guard. Plus, I not a huge fan on cutting down half of my HP. Aqua Jet is to quickly take out opponents with low enough HP. Waterfall and Play Rough are the main STAB moves, both of which get a large boost from Huge Power, while Protect takes up the last slot. Azumarill makes a good lead, to deal some heavy damage early on, while taking some hard hits like a champ."
I'll admit, this is my first rate I've ever posted. I'm sorry for any of the mistakes, and good luck battling with your awesome team!
Do you happen to know what Azumarill's EV spread accomplishes? Or is it standard?

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
Hey so my venu EVs are specifically for hp fire mega venu, sleep powder is good but you can take the 16 def and put it straight into HP since you won't be beating mega Scizor. Also leaf storm > giga drain

You could also consider my patented rotom wash spread
252 hp / 40 def / 84 SAtk / 120 SDef / 12 speed. For a full explanation click the link in my signature ;)

As for the other rates, don't use assault vest or azu, and keep sludge bomb and bisharp
Definitely gonna move those EVs. Also, when I was building the team, I actually watched that video while I was building Rotom. I don't remember exactly why I chose this one, but please, change my mind!

I've tried Leaf Storm on Venu before, but I really just didn't like it as much. That pseudo-recovery saves my butt all the time.

Also, sidenote: what do you think of the Specs Rotom-H set? Is it better in my head than I thought it was?

Definitely gonna move those EVs. Also, when I was building the team, I actually watched that video while I was building Rotom. I don't remember exactly why I chose this one, but please, change my mind!

Also, sidenote: what do you think of the Specs Rotom-H set? Is it better in my head thtn I thought it was?
kk the rotom spread I just gave lives a modest solarbeam from char y, OHKOs talonflame with tbolt (and landorus with hydro pump by extension) and speed creeps other rotom forms
I dislike specs rotom heat, but a life orb set with overheat, tbolt, hp ice, protect is legit

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
kk the rotom spread I just gave lives a modest solarbeam from char y, OHKOs talonflame with tbolt (and landorus with hydro pump by extension) and speed creeps other rotom forms
I dislike specs rotom heat, but a life orb set with overheat, tbolt, hp ice, protect is legit
Alright, I'll switch those EVs. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)